2014 CIS Nationals (Saskatoon)

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I would think most teams look like that against Alberta this year...I think it is just a matter of time before they end this.

That overtime was painful. The phrase "a matter of time" was appropos. But Sask did a lot better against the Monkeys.

Oct 18: 3-2 (shots 32-32)
http://www.leaguestat.com/canadawest/mens/en/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1572

Oct 19: 4-2 (shots (37-33)
http://www.leaguestat.com/canadawest/mens/en/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1577

Jan 10: 3-2 (shots 45-16)
http://www.leaguestat.com/canadawest/mens/en/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1626

Jan 11: 4-3 (shots 32-28)
http://www.leaguestat.com/canadawest/mens/en/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1629

One game was the same as Carleton and McGill but the other three were evenly played games. Frankly, it is hard for me to imagine McGill or Carleton playing evenly against Alberta.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Or Windsor for that matter....as much as I would like to see them win at this point (the Lancers that is), I think Alberta/Sask will be the much more competitive game.

Last edited:

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Alberta advances to final

That was close!
And that is hockey my friends.
I watched Ben Scrivens make 59 saves for a shut-out over a superior San Jose team in late January.
How many of you were nervous watching Ted Nolan's Latvia team stay with in a goal of Team Canada during the Olympics?
Single-game knock-out tournaments lend themselves to an upset.
Especially when North American leagues play best-of 3/5/7.
The McGill goalie didn't give up anything cheap.
Ultimately the Bears found a way.
Regardless who Alberta plats tomorrow, they will out-shoot and out-chance them...hopefully they will be re-warded...'cause clearly they are the best team at this year's University Cup.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
they pulled her out? whew. I watched up to the start of ot, then had to go do something.

from what i saw, it was the bears vrs. the mcgill goalie.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Regardless who Alberta plats tomorrow, they will out-shoot and out-chance them...hopefully they will be re-warded...'cause clearly they are the best team at this year's University Cup.

I know everyone is going to jump all over me and call bias for this but whatever, it is probably true...

It is unfortunate that the one team who could hang with the Bears and give them a good game isn't at the tournament.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
I know everyone is going to jump all over me and call bias for this but whatever, it is probably true...

It is unfortunate that the one team who could hang with the Bears and give them a good game isn't at the tournament.

You deserve to be jumped on for that statement, your self-appointed best team didn't even make it to the AUS final.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The CIS getting some love on Hockey Night In Canada tonight with them showing some highlights of the Alberta/McGill game...no doubt because of the new Rogers deal.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
You deserve to be jumped on for that statement, your self-appointed best team didn't even make it to the AUS final.

I never called them the best team. I don't know where you got that from...I said right from the start of the year Alberta were the favourites this year. I just think they would have done better against the Bears than either Carleton or McGill (yes, I know the scores were very close, but I think we would all agree Alberta dominated those games).

Saskatchewan never made their conference final either, and look what they are doing against the OUA champion. I just hope tomorrow's game is evenly played.

Bearpaw

Mar 21, 2014
First post, long time reader. I just came back from the CUC and have watched all 6 teams play 2 games each. After reading the build-up to the tournament, the most disappointing team was by far Acadia. They had one fantastic line and showed little else. The best of the OUA teams was McGill by far. Great goaltending and some dynamic forwards. They need to produce more on the forecheck but they will be one of the teams to watch next year. Windsor's luck ran out when their goaltending ran out. In their game against Acadia they showed a lot of grit and determination for full value on that win. Carleton was a club with not a lot of speed but played hard and tough. They did not have the individual talent of the others. One thing all of the OUA teams was good goaltending (save for the last game where the goalie got no help). For the two CW teams, Saskatchewan is riding a green wave right now. They are getting scoring from all lines and going at a different level. As the case with McGill and Carleton, their goalie can steel a game. For the Bears, they have to get some finish and get back to their game. The tournament has not seen the total Bear package yet - overtime today was the closest they have come.

The game tomorrow should be very interesting and don't let the past games fool you - this will be a tough game. If the Bears can get their defense pressuring and their top line of Ringrose, Dyck and Lazo going, they should be successful but if the Huskies get on top early, the crowd could play a factor. Should be a good game.

And kudos to the tournament organizers who did a great job with the venue and making the atmosphere good during the afternoon games.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
First post, long time reader. I just came back from the CUC and have watched all 6 teams play 2 games each. After reading the build-up to the tournament, the most disappointing team was by far Acadia. They had one fantastic line and showed little else. The best of the OUA teams was McGill by far. Great goaltending and some dynamic forwards. They need to produce more on the forecheck but they will be one of the teams to watch next year. Windsor's luck ran out when their goaltending ran out. In their game against Acadia they showed a lot of grit and determination for full value on that win. Carleton was a club with not a lot of speed but played hard and tough. They did not have the individual talent of the others. One thing all of the OUA teams was good goaltending (save for the last game where the goalie got no help). For the two CW teams, Saskatchewan is riding a green wave right now. They are getting scoring from all lines and going at a different level. As the case with McGill and Carleton, their goalie can steel a game. For the Bears, they have to get some finish and get back to their game. The tournament has not seen the total Bear package yet - overtime today was the closest they have come.

The game tomorrow should be very interesting and don't let the past games fool you - this will be a tough game. If the Bears can get their defense pressuring and their top line of Ringrose, Dyck and Lazo going, they should be successful but if the Huskies get on top early, the crowd could play a factor. Should be a good game.

And kudos to the tournament organizers who did a great job with the venue and making the atmosphere good during the afternoon games.

Welcome aboard! Always nice to see another fan/poster on here.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
I'm in the Caribbean right now so wasn't able to access either of yesterday's games online, but just looked at both box scores and they are pretty shocking. McGill is a young team that got better as the season progressed. I didn't expect them to beat Alberta, but man do the shot totals tell a story. And Windsor - Van Buskirk (their goalie) has been money all through the playoffs and is a big reason why they made it to Saskatoon. The Lancers were 8-1 in the playoffs coming into last night's game, and 6 of those wins were over pretty good teams. I have to wonder if when the Huskies got up early they got the crowd behind them, they got really confident and then just ran Windsor over.

It certainly does seem that the two teams remaining provide the best chance for a competitive final.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada

Saskatchewan deserves credit for winning their pool. They come in as a dark horse, that hasn't played since losing out to UBC in the first round, which was played at CUC.
From what I can see, speed may be a problem in a match up with Alberta and the goaltending must be razor sharp.
It's no secret that the Huskies need to be disciplined and very physical on the Bears! The other thing is that Alberta's goaltending hasn't had a lot of pressure to deal with (shots) in this tournament, due obviously to their puck possession game.
Can the Huskies survive the first10-15 minutes without getting down??

I agree, it's nice to hear from another CW fan, sounds like your from Saskatoon? Would like to hear from more Edmonton fans who follow the Bears. Maybe a Bears thread?

Bearpaw

Mar 21, 2014
Thanks for the welcome. Actually, i am a Bears fan from Edmonton who made the trip down for the tournament.

I have seen these teams play each other this year and they are close games. The familiarity will help the Bears today as i expect to see their complete game. The crowd will be a boost for sure, but the depth and speed of the Bears should wear down the Huskies. Being on TV actually hurts the Bears as the timeouts are disrupting the flow they are used to playing. This should help Saskatchewan.

In the end i expect Mucha to make the saves he has to and the pressure of the Bears to take control. I will leave the prediction to my son who is calling it a 5-3 game for Alberta.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Alberta Wins #14

Well the slump is over!
Solid job by the #1 ranked Alberta Golden Bears and their 2nd year Head Coach Ian Herbers.
The scores did not neccessarily reflect how dominant Alberta really was in Tournament.
Alberta out-shot their opponents 131-58 over three games but only out-scored teams 9-5 in Saskatoon.
The Golden Bears vaunted PP which has gone from 17% to 31% over the last two seasons under Herbers had a bad weekend.
Herbers ran Milwaukee's PP in the AHL and they went 10th, 7th, and 5th over three years, my guess is he is already working on tweaking it for next season.
Again IMO this was the best Alberta team since the 2005 University Cup Champion. This year's Bears squad was deeper up front, but did not have quite as talented back end.
Alberta should in theory return seven of their top nine forwards, both goaltenders but will lose three of their top six D.
The Golden Bears have now won FIVE of the last SIX University Cups played in Western Canada ('99, '00-both in Saskatoon, '05,'06-both in Edmonton, and 2014 in Saskatoon)
I fully expect to the U of A. to bid for 2017 and 2018.
It should be mentioned that the team that played Alberta the closest was Calgary...never want to discount a UNB or for that matter an AUS School, but I think it can be suggested the Dinos may have had the 2nd best team in the CIS this season.
McGill clearly was well-coached. Played within their limitations. But lacked the horses up front. Carleton is a couple years away but coming.

Cheers

Stauffer
Alberta PxP from 1989-92, 1998-2008 (Six Titles in 13 seasons) and Alberta SID 2000-2008

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007

It should be mentioned that the team that played Alberta the closest was Calgary...never want to discount a UNB or for that matter an AUS School, but I think it can be suggested the Dinos may have had the 2nd best team in the CIS this season.
McGill clearly was well-coached. Played within their limitations. But lacked the horses up front. Carleton is a couple years away but coming.

Cheers

Stauffer
Alberta PxP from 1989-92, 1998-2008 (Six Titles in 13 seasons) and Alberta SID 2000-2008

However, Manitoba and Mount Royal were the last teams to beat them. Their similarity? Big, physical teams. Even in this tournament, the Monkeys had trouble turning territorial dominance and shots into goals. A couple of big bodies up front would make them that much tougher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad