2014 Canucks Training Camp (Mod Post 426)

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I thought they weren't going to cut anyone before the SJS game?

That's what I thought as well, but I guess the coaching staff figures they don't even need to see these guys in preseason games. I'm a bit confused about McEneny though. He's 20 years old and done with junior. Either this is a mistake by Elliott Pap or Evan is playing an overage year in the OHL.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
That's what I thought as well, but I guess the coaching staff figures they don't even need to see these guys in preseason games. I'm a bit confused about McEneny though. He's 20 years old and done with junior. Either this is a mistake by Elliott Pap or Evan is playing an overage year in the OHL.

I'm also a bit confused/surprised about McEneny. I was under the impression that he had a good showing in his game with Utica and would be playing there this year.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
it's unlikey Gaunce beats out Vey/Richardson/Horvat for a center spot and his size could be usefull on the wing along the boards and in corners.

By the time Gaunce has a couple pro years under his belt, Vey and Richardson could be gone. Developing Gaunce as a winger makes no sense. Absolutely none.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Did Pettit even touch the ice in Vancouver? I know he's been dealing with a back issue and he didn't participate in Erie's TC before leaving for Vancouver.

Nonetheless glad to have him back. Should see more ice this season and hopefully he takes a step forward offensively.

Also, very surprised to see McEneny cut so quickly. Thought for sure he'd be in Utica this season.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Did Pettit even touch the ice in Vancouver? I know he's been dealing with a back issue and he didn't participate in Erie's TC before leaving for Vancouver.

Nonetheless glad to have him back. Should see more ice this season and hopefully he takes a step forward offensively.

Also, very surprised to see McEneny cut so quickly. Thought for sure he'd be in Utica this season.

don't believe he did. i didn't even know he was at the camp.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
By the time Gaunce has a couple pro years under his belt, Vey and Richardson could be gone. Developing Gaunce as a winger makes no sense. Absolutely none.

Not uncommon at all for players to play center in juniors and then move to the wing at the NHL level. True, team needs change as time goes on, but I don't think they are doing this to fit immediate team needs. Gaunce actually looked decent at last year's camp/preseason on the wing as well, so perhaps the organization thinks that's his best chance for a successful career. I'd hardly call him a can't miss guy who will surely have a long NHL career....his potential might only be that of a 3rd/4th line winger.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Gaunces best shot at the NHL this year is as a call up as a winger. I can see the logic of trying him there in these games. The Comets can still develope/play him at centre.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Three players cut right off the bat:

D Mackenzie Stewart - assigned to Prince Albert (WHL)
D Evan McEneny - assigned to Kingston (OHL)
F Kyle Pettit - assigned to Erie (OHL)

Well that's expected, esp. Pettit and Stewart, maybe regretting taking them in the draft now like most of us thought.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013

Bro, the Canadiens played Alex Galchenyuk on the wing for 2 seasons. It's not unusual, at all.

torlev*

Drop the puck already. Why can't we have a game on the first couple of days???

Upoil

Zaboomafoo
Aug 8, 2010
Bermuda
The strength of our prospect pool is up the middle and that is where I expect us to develop players.

A ton of great centers come into the league as wingers to get accustomed to the pace. Also, with all the center prospects we have how do you expect to develop them ALL strictly at center? Being versatile is also a great skill for any hockey player (aside from goalies I guess).

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
A ton of great centers come into the league as wingers to get accustomed to the pace. Also, with all the center prospects we have how do you expect to develop them ALL strictly at center? Being versatile is also a great skill for any hockey player (aside from goalies I guess).

Sure, another good argument.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Maybe youre right. But I also think we do not have a Center with Gaunce's size in the AHL, NHL, ECHL, Alumni (joke), etc.

Right on.

Yeah I wouldn't really see this as a permanent move. There are just a lot of bottom 6 C's to shuffle around at this point.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Gaunces best shot at the NHL this year is as a call up as a winger. I can see the logic of trying him there in these games. The Comets can still develope/play him at centre.

Yeah, it makes sense. As much as seeing Gaunce at Center would be more fun, and hopefully that's where the develop him in Utica...they probably want to get a good read on whether he can be a useful call-up for the Canucks this year as a Winger.

Versatility is good.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'm a little bit mildly concerned that this coaching staff doesn't seem hesitant to throw two Righty D-men out there together. They did it with the scrimmage too, which is nbd because it's just a scrimmage. But it looks like they're throwing Weber-Tanev out there for the game together, which is strange and probably not the greatest idea.

Although maybe they're looking at whether Weber can actually play the left side if he has to, evaluating him as potentially the only "spare" defenceman on the roster? Not really sure what that's about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad