Status
Not open for further replies.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
I did watch the playoffs, and while AA is talented, Domi is a much better player in just about every facet of the game. I agree that Gaunce is a good two-way player, but he is pretty slow, and Lazar or Gauthier could play a similar role but they are faster

I'm going to go ahead and say that Horvat will be centering the second line by the time this tournament ends. Domi will probably be one of his wingers. Sick duo.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
List the better ones.

Already did in my previous post....Only one player has been challegned really (Lepsic). If they are among the leading point getters in the CHL (as they were last season) it might be tempting to have both he and Petan on the squad due to existing chemistry. Reinhart is a sick sick offensive player, I suggest you have more viewings if you think there is such a disparity btwn he and Shinkaruk. Monhahan is a compete offensive player, not flashy but deadly efficient...Also the aforementioned Mantha size speed combo could prove incredibly effective. All bets are obviously off if for some reason Drouin or Mack are available...

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Shinkaruk is 100% a shoe-in. He's probably the most offensively talented forward in the group after Domi and McDavid.

Thats definitely debatable. I think he will be on the team but hes not a lock, hes a one dimensional forward that is small.

As for the PP I'll take Pulock and Rielly as the paring anyday over Shinkaruk. Shinkaruk could still play high in an umbrella anyways but those 2 D would be better anyways to provide more stablility.

I would go:

Domi McDavid Mantha (2 playmakers and the sniper with size)
Rielly Pulock

Rychel/Wilson (Rychel seems to have more touch so probably him) with Monahan and another winger which is where I would maybe have HS. I might also take Petan because say what you want he produces big time. Maybe even have him and Leipsic out here with Monahan because of their chemistry.

With Dumba and Pouliot on the point

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

I think there's a really good chance Shinkaruk makes it. He's one of the better forwards available. I doubt he'll get cut. I think he'll have a good season this year.

GuillaumeLetsundress*

i remember last year shinkaruk was one of canadas best players in the scrub games and exhibition against cis players, knew he was behind the 8 ball but he made a great push, people were thinking monahan over shinkaruk before those skates and after everyone thought shinkaruk would have made it before monahan if either would have made it. not a canucks fan just sayin

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
i remember last year shinkaruk was one of canadas best players in the scrub games and exhibition against cis players, knew he was behind the 8 ball but he made a great push, people were thinking monahan over shinkaruk before those skates and after everyone thought shinkaruk would have made it before monahan if either would have made it. not a canucks fan just sayin

Monahan was also less than 100 percent during camp though if i remember correctly. Either that or he had just got back from an injury...Monahan had a pretty remarkable year when you consider the awful team he had surrounding him..For me Shinkaruk is just one the many bubble guys fighting for a spot (Mantha,Petan,Reinhart,Leipsic,Rychel being others in the same boat).

Last edited:

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I think it was his 10 game suspension he was returning from at the time, not an injury.

Sounds right...there was some sort of circumstance that may have played a factor, maybe not..Anyway I was personally surprised when he got cut as early as he did..

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I think it was his 10 game suspension he was returning from at the time, not an injury.

Correct. He had zero in game action for about a month heading into that camp, so obviously he was in an extremely tough position in respect to the rest of the field.

Considering what Spott had to say about him at camp, it is surprising that he was indeed cut at all (in the first wave to boot).

"his hockey sense, in my mind, is at a National Hockey League level right now."
"He has elite hockey sense," Spott said of Monahan. "He is just one of those players who can play in any situation - 5-on-5, 5-on-4, on your [penalty kill]. Sean has that innate ability. He is going to be an elite NHL player. There is no doubt about that."

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
Correct. He had zero in game action for about a month heading into that camp, so obviously he was in an extremely tough position in respect to the rest of the field.

Considering what Spott had to say about him at camp, it is surprising that he was indeed cut at all (in the first wave to boot).

He totally cut Monahan to make room for Murphy :sarcasm:

In all seriousness though, assuming both are available and neither one has a serious regression, both Shinkaruk and Monahan are locks. Those two and Rychel have been putting up dominant CHL numbers for two seasons now and have represented Canada previously. The three of them are also probably the most talent 1994 forwards

MyNameIsNobody*

I know very little about this prospect, enlighten me...Also I know Nurse had a decent year offensively last season but wouldn't he be relied upon in more of a defensive role? I like the Ekblad inclusion (being a Barrie resident I've watched him a ton)....

Reily Reinhart
Nurse Ekblad
Pouliot Finn
Morrisey

Is how I'd have it..

I completely forgot about Adam pelech. He was injured and could not participate in this summers evaluation. He is a mean maniac defender with defensive attributes.

We do need big strong defenders who can move. That is why I picked my list ( big mean skaters)

Reily Reinhart
Nurse Ekblad
Pouliot Finn
Heatherington

How is pelech's skating. We need a maniac

Dumba will most likely make it but over who??

Are we only taking 7 or 8?

MyNameIsNobody*

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Thats definitely debatable. I think he will be on the team but hes not a lock, hes a one dimensional forward that is small.

As for the PP I'll take Pulock and Rielly as the paring anyday over Shinkaruk. Shinkaruk could still play high in an umbrella anyways but those 2 D would be better anyways to provide more stablility.

I would go:

Domi McDavid Mantha (2 playmakers and the sniper with size)
Rielly Pulock

Rychel/Wilson (Rychel seems to have more touch so probably him) with Monahan and another winger which is where I would maybe have HS. I might also take Petan because say what you want he produces big time. Maybe even have him and Leipsic out here with Monahan because of their chemistry.

With Dumba and Pouliot on the point
Mantha might be ok on the PP considering he won't have to skate much and can be lazy. Essentially be himself.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's funny to hear people refer to finn as a "defensive" guy for the dcorps, when he's been more productive offensively in junior than any of the dmen other than pouliot and rielly.

That would make him one of the best options offensively and defensively on the dcorps, which would seem to make him a good candidate for a top 4 role.

Myself, i'm still shocked finn dropped all the way to the second round for the leafs. Kid is a stud imo.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
It's funny to hear people refer to finn as a "defensive" guy for the dcorps, when he's been more productive offensively in junior than any of the dmen other than pouliot and rielly.

That would make him one of the best options offensively and defensively on the dcorps, which would seem to make him a good candidate for a top 4 role.

Myself, i'm still shocked finn dropped all the way to the second round for the leafs. Kid is a stud imo.
31 points in 41 games Finn
62 points in 82 games Severson

Finn has to beat all the left shot defensmen, he reallly needs Reilly and Reinhart to make the NHL.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah you could throw in severson's hot playoffs to make it close, but finn's been significantly more productive than severson now for each of the last two regular seasons now. And this from a dman known for his defenseand intangibles.

And i find the current obsession with a dman's handedness kind of weird to be honest. Its not really a critical factor. Reinhart and rielly, for example, have both spent plenty of time on the right side.

That being said, a finn-severson pairing would be a beaut.

Rielly - Reinhart
Finn - Severson
Pouliot - Dumba
(Nurse - Ekblad?)

The top 4 there you could rely on in all situations. You could shelter pouliot on the 3rd pairing and then stick him with rielly on the first pp, keeping finn-severson together for the 2nd pp.

I'd rather replace dumba there with a more reliable defensive dman, but he would be ok in that role too. But nurse or ekbland or maybe even heatherington or morin pushing dumba out would be fine with me.

Last edited:

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
31 points in 41 games Finn
62 points in 82 games Severson

Finn has to beat all the left shot defensmen, he reallly needs Reilly and Reinhart to make the NHL.

Don't forget that Reinhart has a pretty hefty suspension to serve before he can play for Canada. If memory serves, it's 4 games. Can anyone confirm that?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Don't forget that Reinhart has a pretty hefty suspension to serve before he can play for Canada. If memory serves, it's 4 games. Can anyone confirm that?

It was 4 games but he already served one b/c he sat out the bronze medal game...so that's 3 left. Apparently those pre-season games they play don't count, so he'll actually have to sit out WJC games...but i don't think it's a big deal - Canada's first 3 games are against Germany, Slovakia, and Czech Republic. He will be back for the US game and then the finals rounds.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

The suspension was for 4 games, but he served one of them last year. He's got 3 to go and there are conflicting reports on whether the pre-tourney games count or not.

Has anyone gotten clarification on this?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Any chance Koekkoek makes the team? Looked great in development camp and shoulder seems to be finally healed. Think he gets back to his preinjury form and will be hard to keep off the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad