2014 Canada World Junior team

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Pouliot was an amazing player from what I saw in the memorial cup games, he will most def makes it over finn (my teams prospect) if not anyone else ;o

Analyzer*

Pouliot was an amazing player from what I saw in the memorial cup games, he will most def makes it over finn (my teams prospect) if not anyone else ;o

To be fair, Ryan Murphy looked great in the OHL games, too.

Why were the 5 goals given up ? Bad D ? Goalie? Just a bad game overall ? The states almost final team was just too much for this group of players ?

member 147413

To be fair, Ryan Murphy looked great in the OHL games, too.

Why were the 5 goals given up ? Bad D ? Goalie? Just a bad game overall ? The states almost final team was just too much for this group of players ?

Yup, TC management, always seems to pick flash, but you need the role players, we have plenty of offensively talented blue liners and forwards. Like I said best case scenario, we get some more physically intimidating kids out there and get those quick passes out of the zone, we don't need dmen trying to do it all themselves, we've seen enough of that in Murphy.

A Nurse-Ekblad pairing would be reminiscent of when we had the towers Aulie-Schenn help us to Gold.

As for Finn, yes I am a Leafs fan, but I'd give him a spot over Pouliot, he's better defensively and does play with a bit of an edge, all these kids can skate and put up points, why not take the ones who can defend aswell.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Pouliot's game is tailored for big ice... He is on another offensive and puck moving level than Finn. I really don't see how they don't take Pouliot considering Brent Sutter is the coach and Ryan Jankowski is based out of Calgary as well.

Anyone that gets a number of viewings of Pouliot can see the vision and instincts Pouliot brings - he simply has a different sense and feel for the game than most other d-men. He plays very relaxed and smooth, Murphy is more jumpy and operates in fits and starts, Pouliot has a very high panic threshold. I hated Ryan Murphy's from the first game I saw him, I have seen Pouliot play a ton and the comparisons are not apt at all.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yup, TC management, always seems to pick flash, but you need the role players, we have plenty of offensively talented blue liners and forwards. Like I said best case scenario, we get some more physically intimidating kids out there and get those quick passes out of the zone, we don't need dmen trying to do it all themselves, we've seen enough of that in Murphy.

A Nurse-Ekblad pairing would be reminiscent of when we had the towers Aulie-Schenn help us to Gold.

As for Finn, yes I am a Leafs fan, but I'd give him a spot over Pouliot, he's better defensively and does play with a bit of an edge, all these kids can skate and put up points, why not take the ones who can defend aswell.

I understand the basic premise of wanting well-rounded defensemen, but if there's one thing Pouliot isn't guilty of, it's trying to do it all himself. He's the best passing/playmaking defenseman available. He and Murphy are both offensive defensemen, but couldn't be more different in the way they produce offense.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Reinhart, Rielly, Dumba, Pouliot, Nurse, Severson, Morrissey is what I'd go with personally. I would definitely be opening to the inclusion of Ekblad if he has a great start to the year though and keeps up his performance.

The Dub has had a ton of defensive talent coming out in the past few years and they deserve to be on this team, really been a pleasure to watch.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 40m

Leading scorers for Canada at camp: Gaunce (1G3A), Rychel (2G1A), Mantha (3A), Gauthier (2G), Reinhart (2G), Finn (1G1A), Shinkaruk (1G1A)

member 147413

Pouliot's game is tailored for big ice... He is on another offensive and puck moving level than Finn. I really don't see how they don't take Pouliot considering Brent Sutter is the coach and Ryan Jankowski is based out of Calgary as well.

Anyone that gets a number of viewings of Pouliot can see the vision and instincts Pouliot brings - he simply has a different sense and feel for the game than most other d-men. He plays very relaxed and smooth, Murphy is more jumpy and operates in fits and starts, Pouliot has a very high panic threshold. I hated Ryan Murphy's from the first game I saw him, I have seen Pouliot play a ton and the comparisons are not apt at all.

I understand the basic premise of wanting well-rounded defensemen, but if there's one thing Pouliot isn't guilty of, it's trying to do it all himself. He's the best passing/playmaking defenseman available. He and Murphy are both offensive defensemen, but couldn't be more different in the way they produce offense.

I wasn't comparing Pouliot to Murphy, Pouliot is miles more intelligent, but if I'm building a team to win I don't want multiple players to bring the same dynamics to my team unless its Crosby, it just makes them easier to shut down. Being as Rielly and Pouliot are similar, I take Rielly.

I'd bring Pouliot as the extra guy.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
I watched all 3 games so these are the players I would pick solely on that.

Domi- McDavid- Reinhart
Horvat- Monahan- Shinkaruk
Gaunce- Gauthier- Mantha
Rychel- Petan- Leipsic
Hudon

Matheson- Severson
Finn- Nurse
Koekkoek- Pouliot
Morrissey

Comrie
Fucale
Paterson

The defence and last few forwards were really hard to pick as a lot of guys did not impress me. Also a bunch of guys would have to play out of position. Again this is just the guys who I thought were the best in the three games.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Domi- McDavid- Reinhart
Gaunce- Gauthier- Mantha
Rychel- Petan- Leipsic
Hudon

Matheson- Severson
Finn- Nurse
Koekkoek- Pouliot
Morrissey

Comrie
Fucale
Paterson

The defence and last few forwards were really hard to pick as a lot of guys did not impress me. Also a bunch of guys would have to play out of position. Again this is just the guys who I thought were the best in the three games.

I actually think that looks pretty good. Every line is really balanced, I wonder if Reinhart and McDavid will both play on the top line but who knows.

Petan as a fourth liner might not happen but he could play there and get some PP time too. Rychel would hopefully ratchet up the physical play and all 3 are a scoring threat.

Shinkaruk all offense on the second line, Monahan the best 2 way guy on the team and Horvat can chip some offense and play defense. That line looks good.

Third line is huge, with smaller Europeans probably having ahell of a time stopping them on a cycle. Gaunce and Gauthier can each chip some offense but play awesome D and Mantha can score from anywhere.

good line up

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
PP lineups anyone? Just as a Canucks fan, I know Shinkaruk thrives playing the point with his wrister.

Domi-McDavid-Petan
Shinkaruk-______

Horvat-Monahan-Mantha
______-_______

Idk the defense very well yet, but those are 2 very different looks that may click.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010

Domi- McDavid- Reinhart
Gaunce- Gauthier- Mantha
Rychel- Petan- Leipsic
Hudon

Matheson- Severson
Finn- Nurse
Koekkoek- Pouliot
Morrissey

Comrie
Fucale
Paterson

Interesting to see who the best players at camp were with a list like this.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
PP lineups anyone? Just as a Canucks fan, I know Shinkaruk thrives playing the point with his wrister.

Domi-McDavid-Petan
Shinkaruk-______

Horvat-Monahan-Mantha
______-_______

Idk the defense very well yet, but those are 2 very different looks that may click.

I like the first one but the second one I would take Horvat off and put someone else. Hes not that great offensively compared to a lot of the guys on the team. I would put Shinkaruk in his place and use two dmen on both PPs

Christien

May 1, 2010

Domi-McDavid-Petan
Shinkaruk-______

Horvat-Monahan-Mantha
______-_______

not enough size on that first unit.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

Domi-McDavid-Petan
Shinkaruk-______

Horvat-Monahan-Mantha
______-_______

Only thing about that first unit is you've got 3 playmakers up front. Total homer suggestion, but why not bump Mantha up and Petan down? If there's one place that Mantha can make an impact, it's on the PP along that right side.

Sartorial

#RegisteredUser
Dec 14, 2011
Saskatoon

I guess it depends. Poulliot did look good during the mem cup. Always so impressed with his offensive tools. Where he's really effective is something like zone entry/puck distribution on the power play, as he's an effortless skater/above avg puck distributor.

He is quite prone to turnovers/miscues though. CAN would likely offer him very sheltered minutes if he did make the team.

What do you guys think? I'm no expert so I may be underrating his defensive game. Also, does Canada ever take players on a WJC team and give them sheltered minutes?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I guess it depends. Poulliot did look good during the mem cup. Always so impressed with his offensive tools. Where he's really effective is something like zone entry/puck distribution on the power play, as he's an effortless skater/above avg puck distributor.

He is quite prone to turnovers/miscues though. CAN would likely offer him very sheltered minutes if he did make the team.

What do you guys think? I'm no expert so I may be underrating his defensive game. Also, does Canada ever take players on a WJC team and give them sheltered minutes?

As a Pens fan who's watched a fair bit of Pouliot, that's a pretty fair assessment. But I don't see why he couldn't play a bigger role if he were paired with a defensive type though...it's not like any of the other offensive defensemen available are any great shakes defensively, IMO.

MyNameIsNobody*

Best case scenario for dmen IMO.

Rielly - Reinhart
Nurse - Ekblad
Finn - Dumba
Pouliot/Severson

Canada has lacked DFD for the past few years.

Not bad.
Last year I predicted a fourth place finish. I was right.
I'm back to predict that if we don't build around a BIG fast mobile defenders we will be doomed again.

Rielly if he is not with maple leafs will make it. Offensive
Reinhart 6'4" 207 can lay the body. Will make it. Defensive

That leaves 5 positions:

2 Ryan Pulock R/D 6’0.5†211 10/06/94
3 Dillon Heatherington L/G 6’3†196 Will make the team. Can skate and bang. Defensive
4 Matt Finn L/G 6’0†207 will make it. Can skate and is tough. Defensive
5 Michael Matheson L/G 6’1.5†178 02/27/94
6 Damon Severson R/D 6’2†198 08/08/94
7 Josh Morrissey L/G 6’0†184 03/28/95
15 Derrick Pouliot L/G 6’0†192 will make it. Can skate and is offensive
24 Mathew Dumba R/D 6’0†183 07/25/94
25 Darnell Nurse L/G 6’4†189 02/04/95 will make the team on nastiness alone. Offensive
27 Slater Koekkoek L/G 6’2†185 02/18/94
Aaron Ekblad 6'4" 215. Will make it due to his defensive attributes and size. Defensive

I pick defence who are tough can skate and can play defensively

Offensive d

Rielly
Nurse
Pouliot

Defensive d

Reinhart
Finn
Heatherington
Ekblad

I'm assuming we are taking only 7
Dumba will probably be on this team because of who his coach is. I'm just not sure who he will replace.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Not bad.
Last year I predicted a fourth place finish. I was right.
I'm back to predict that if we don't build around a BIG fast mobile defenders we will be doomed again.

Rielly if he is not with maple leafs will make it. Offensive
Reinhart 6'4" 207 can lay the body. Will make it. Defensive

That leaves 5 positions:

2 Ryan Pulock R/D 6’0.5” 211 10/06/94
3 Dillon Heatherington L/G 6’3” 196 Will make the team. Can skate and bang. Defensive
4 Matt Finn L/G 6’0” 207 will make it. Can skate and is tough. Defensive
5 Michael Matheson L/G 6’1.5” 178 02/27/94
6 Damon Severson R/D 6’2” 198 08/08/94
7 Josh Morrissey L/G 6’0” 184 03/28/95
15 Derrick Pouliot L/G 6’0” 192 will make it. Can skate and is offensive
24 Mathew Dumba R/D 6’0” 183 07/25/94
25 Darnell Nurse L/G 6’4” 189 02/04/95 will make the team on nastiness alone. Offensive
27 Slater Koekkoek L/G 6’2” 185 02/18/94
Aaron Ekblad 6'4" 215. Will make it due to his defensive attributes and size. Defensive

I pick defence who are tough can skate and can play defensively

Offensive d

Rielly
Nurse
Pouliot

Defensive d

Reinhart
Finn
Heatherington
Ekblad

I'm assuming we are taking only 7
Dumba will probably be on this team because of who his coach is. I'm just not sure who he will replace.

I know very little about this prospect, enlighten me...Also I know Nurse had a decent year offensively last season but wouldn't he be relied upon in more of a defensive role? I like the Ekblad inclusion (being a Barrie resident I've watched him a ton)....

Reily Reinhart
Nurse Ekblad
Pouliot Finn
Morrisey

Is how I'd have it..

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Sutter is not going with 1 right handed defensmen, the breakout will be abysmal.

I feel playing guys on their strong (shooting) side is overated. These are the best players in my opinion. I don't see the breakout being an issue with Reilly/Pouliot and Morrisey in tow. Maybe put Dumba as the 7th if the lefty heavy d is too much to bear..

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I like the first one but the second one I would take Horvat off and put someone else. Hes not that great offensively compared to a lot of the guys on the team. I would put Shinkaruk in his place and use two dmen on both PPs

Hard to say... 16 goals in 21 playoff games last season. Seems like he may be a guy who should be on the power play in some sort of facet.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Hard to say... 16 goals in 21 playoff games last season. Seems like he may be a guy who should be on the power play in some sort of facet.

One of the few guys in contention for a spot who was less than ppg during regular season...He was amazing in playoffs so maybe he just put things together offensively, hard to say either way. He's gonna be part of the team one way or the other, his versatility is a nice asset to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad