Olympics: 2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part VI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IME

Feb 21, 2008
The Cloud
That doesn't make any sense though...the article confirms there's no on ice activity and even if they were doing something on their own, he could always just not participate in that aspect and i'm sure they would understand.

It's weird that he's blowing it off to focus on rehabbing his finger (when he's 5 weeks away from playing). Maybe he just couldn't be bothered going.

Now I'm just playing conspiracy theorist here, but if I was having unofficial on-ice sessions, I wouldn't leak anything to the media either in case insurance companies claim it as quasi-official.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Nothing to read into, Canada is stacked.

Well yes, the poster above me stated that Kane would have been at the camp had he not been injured. I was simply stating the fact that it doesn't matter that he's injured because they're not actually on-ice at the camp. So the only conclusion is that Hockey Canada doesn't feel Kane is amongst the top 25 or so forwards at this point in time or is really in the running for a roster spot.

For the record, I would have liked to have seen Kane's name on the invite list, certainly ahead of Lucic. Amazing speed, agressiveness, and he's got a nose for the net. My feeling is that his poor showing in the KHL during the lockout hurt his chances, but that is just speculation.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
not that I ever doubt you Jack, but Really, success on international ice? when? He shared duty at a few WHC in 03 and 04. He was in Torino, but we really don't want to talk about that team... really...that's the extent to his experience on international ice.
Did he play in the gold medal game in 03? I can't remember back that far. )))

Just a quick check of the IIHF site, he was the starter in the gold medal game in 04. I didn't watch that tournament as it was my first spring living overseas, so had other things on the agenda that spring. )))

Luongo was the starting goaltender for the 2003 and 2004 teams in both gold medal wins. Also played some games at the 2001 and 2005 WCs, the 2006 Olympics and some icetime at the 1998 WJC. He has more international experience than Price on the big ice. That does not necessarily mean that he should be the starter or anything though.

Wouldn't be surprised if E. Kane made the team if he starts out the year hot. Would be one of if not the best skaters on the team and he brings a physical presence along with the skill as well.

To me, Kane is the uninvited skater most likely to make the team. As you said he is a great skater and also a good goalscorer, and he's also pretty good on the forecheck. I liked what he brought to the Getzlaf - Perry line at the 2012 WC.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Luongo was the starting goaltender for the 2003 and 2004 teams in both gold medal wins. Also played some games at the 2001 and 2005 WCs, the 2006 Olympics and some icetime at the 1998 WJC. He has more international experience than Price on the big ice. That does not necessarily mean that he should be the starter or anything though.

To me, Kane is the uninvited skater most likely to make the team. As you said he is a great skater and also a good goalscorer, and he's also pretty good on the forecheck. I liked what he brought to the Getzlaf - Perry line at the 2012 WC.

I've never played goaltender, but are the angles that much different on the international ice than on the NHL-sized ice? I mean, I imagine there are some slight differences, but unlike forwards or defencemen I'm not sure how much experience on the international ice really means at that position.

The tournaments are ages ago, but I thought Luongo was really good in 2006 (he was certainly not the reason we lost, and actual won a game for us (!), and of course he had that huge OT win in the semi-final of the 2004 World Cup against the Czechs. As far as 2010 is concerned, he obviously didn't cost us any games, and did enough to win without really standing on his head or looking like he was really on top of his game. He made some critical saves in the SF against Slovakia, but nothing you wouldn't expect any starting NHL goaltender to make really.

Manitoba Oilers*

The players aren't actually skating at the orientation camp for insurance reasons (something Hockey Canada knew about when they sent out the invitations), so Kane's injury doesn't matter. If they wanted him there, he'd be there. Read into that what you will.
Skatings mot the point players do not want to break rehab ex/Giroux

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I've never played goaltender, but are the angles that much different on the international ice than on the NHL-sized ice? I mean, I imagine there are some slight differences, but unlike forwards or defencemen I'm not sure how much experience on the international ice really means at that position.

The tournaments are ages ago, but I thought Luongo was really good in 2006 (he was certainly not the reason we lost, and actual won a game for us (!), and of course he had that huge OT win in the semi-final of the 2004 World Cup against the Czechs. As far as 2010 is concerned, he obviously didn't cost us any games, and did enough to win without really standing on his head or looking like he was really on top of his game. He made some critical saves in the SF against Slovakia, but nothing you wouldn't expect any starting NHL goaltender to make really.

I remember he had many great saves against Russia, and against Slovakia too.(I remember the last one, of course, and the one against Palffy in 2nd period). He was a piece of the winning team. Nothing more, but nothing less. He was the second best goaltender that olympics IMO. Kiprusoff allowed 6 against the US, Halak lost semifinal and the bronze-medal game. Halak was maybe better at the time, but he didn't medal. Luongo won the gold. He allowed 2 goals in the final, nothing to shame, Miller allowed 3 goals. ;) Americans were a tough team, it was not like our defense was perfect.

But I wouldn't have neither Luongo nor Price as a starter. Crawford just won the Stanley Cup and was definitely a candidate for the MVP, in my opinion. Isn't it that thing we all want ? A goalie who just won the Cup and was an important factor of it, to be the starter at olympics? He have to prove it next season, but I really think he's a good choice if he's right back at his best form. If Luongo has solid numbers and looks better than Crawford, it's his job to lose. Price or any other goaltender should really steps up if looking for the starter position.

Last edited:

DyerMaker66*

For the record, I would have liked to have seen Kane's name on the invite list, certainly ahead of Lucic. Amazing speed, agressiveness, and he's got a nose for the net. My feeling is that his poor showing in the KHL during the lockout hurt his chances, but that is just speculation.

I hope you're correct, because if you aren't then Hockey Canada needs a kick in the head.

Last edited by a moderator:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

As it turns out you are right again, he may have more experience on international ice, but you still haven't changed my opinion though...considering on what we judge the the WHC to be (A B level tournament)

and I wouldn't reference the 98 WJC (in Europe BTW) which he was a part of...as that team was far worse than even the 06 Torino team... He did rebound in 99 WJC (in Winnipeg BTW) as the starter, played in the gold medal game but lost. so, unless Lou comes out of the gates looking sharp and focused and looking like a true number 1 netminder on the top of his game.. then I'm still going with Price. I definitely should look to finding some video on the 03 and 04 WHC as a refresher; as some of the finer points of those 2 particular gold medal triumphs I have forgotten over time... (must be getting old).

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
As it turns out you are right again, he may have more experience on international ice, but you still haven't changed my opinion though...considering on what we judge the the WHC to be (A B level tournament)

and I wouldn't reference the 98 WJC (in Europe BTW) which he was a part of...as that team was far worse than even the 06 Torino team... He did rebound in 99 WJC (in Winnipeg BTW) as the starter, played in the gold medal game but lost. so, unless Lou comes out of the gates looking sharp and focused and looking like a true number 1 netminder on the top of his game.. then I'm still going with Price. I definitely should look to finding some video on the 03 and 04 WHC as a refresher; as some of the finer points of those 2 particular gold medal triumphs I have forgotten over time... (must be getting old).

To be clear, I'm not saying that Luongo should be the starter due to his experience, or even that he should be the starter at all. I am only saying that he has more experience than Price on international ice, which is not a matter of opinion. That of course is not the be all and end all. Even though the WC is a low level tournament, it would have been nice to see Price participate in either of the last two years.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
To be clear, I'm not saying that Luongo should be the starter due to his experience, or even that he should be the starter at all. I am only saying that he has more experience than Price on international ice, which is not a matter of opinion. That of course is not the be all and end all. Even though the WC is a low level tournament, it would have been nice to see Price participate in either of the last two years.

I hear that... and I do think he came up with a rather lame ass excuse in 2012 for not going .... saying he took a puck off the head in practice a week or so before the end of the season which nobody on the team seemed to be aware of... I was critical and blasted him for it...the same way I blasted Stamkos for going balls out to score his 60th goal of the season but then only to come up with a nagging shoulder excuse...I don't blame these players as much as I blame Hockey Canada...they dick around these players as juniors so much (Nathan Mackinnon) and then once they are in a position to tell Hockey Canada to **** off.... they do. I would too. I'm no big fan of Hockey Canada and the idiots running it.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
[/B]
I hear that... and I do think he came up with a rather lame ass excuse in 2012 for not going .... saying he took a puck off the head in practice a week or so before the end of the season which nobody on the team seemed to be aware of... I was critical and blasted him for it...the same way I blasted Stamkos for going balls out to score his 60th goal of the season but then only to come up with a nagging shoulder excuse...I don't blame these players as much as I blame Hockey Canada...they dick around these players as juniors so much (Nathan Mackinnon) and then once they are in a position to tell Hockey Canada to **** off.... they do. I would too. I'm no big fan of Hockey Canada and the idiots running it.

Really? You hide your disdain so well.

When it comes to goaltending, there really isn't a great option. Canada has won big tournaments with similar goaltending situations before though, and obviously there is a big edge at forward and defence. The best hope is that some goaltender has a hot year, somewhat similar to Miller in 2010, or at least that whoever actually plays in Sochi doesn't screw up.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Really? You hide your disdain so well.

When it comes to goaltending, there really isn't a great option. Canada has won big tournaments with similar goaltending situations before though, and obviously there is a big edge at forward and defence. The best hope is that some goaltender has a hot year, somewhat similar to Miller in 2010, or at least that whoever actually plays in Sochi doesn't screw up.

I really should work on being more vocal.
That excludes of course Yzerman, Armstrong, Babcock, etc., the Hockey Guys...I'm talking about the bureaucrats Nicholson and his crew...If I had a vote they'd be turfed from the scene and the sooner the better. Unfortunately I do not get to vote.

BTW what time is the HC presser today?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I really should work on being more vocal.
That excludes of course Yzerman, Armstrong, Babcock, etc., the Hockey Guys...I'm talking about the bureaucrats Nicholson and his crew...If I had a vote they'd be turfed from the scene and the sooner the better. Unfortunately I do not get to vote.

BTW what time is the HC presser today?

It's tomorrow at 5 ET. TSN will stream it apparently.

Puck Poise

May 29, 2011
Stamkos-Crosby-St.Louis
Sharp-Toews-Giroux
Hall-Bergeron-Eberle
Duchene-Tavares-Nash
Getzlaf, Carter

Weber-Doughty
Keith-Subban
Pietrangelo-Letang
Staal

Luongo
Price
Fleury

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
[/B]

so the country can hear Nicholson say "you know what" 400 times. Sorry Jack, just had to get that shot in at Bob "you know what" Nicholson.

Ehhh I'm ambivalent about Nicholson and the HC crew. Spoke to him at a museum in Buffalo a few years ago (he was had just finished a meeting with Fehr) and he seemed like a good enough guy. The only real important things though are results and growth, and lately these things have not been so impressive.

Ultimately, the press conference is a bit of hype for HC and the impending Olympics, with TSN as the main beneficiary. They might drop one or two interesting tidbits, but that would be the most I am guessing.

Erik Norrisson*

Stamkos-Crosby-St.Louis
Sharp-Toews-Giroux
Hall-Bergeron-Eberle
Duchene-Tavares-Nash
Getzlaf, Carter

Weber-Doughty
Keith-Subban
Pietrangelo-Letang
Staal

Luongo
Price
Fleury

Perry and Seabrook make this team for sure. I wouldn't be surprised to see Subban off as HC is not very high on him.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Ehhh I'm ambivalent about Nicholson and the HC crew. Spoke to him at a museum in Buffalo a few years ago (he was had just finished a meeting with Fehr) and he seemed like a good enough guy. The only real important things though are results and growth, and lately these things have not been so impressive.

Ultimately, the press conference is a bit of hype for HC and the impending Olympics, with TSN as the main beneficiary. They might drop one or two interesting tidbits, but that would be the most I am guessing.

I like what I'm hearing from Yzerman and Babcock though..."skating will be the priority" "you got to be able to skate'"... which means I may get my wish of Perry and a few of the other slow pokes watching from southern cali and not playing. Although, until I actually see Hockey Canada practice what they preach, I'll just remain cautiously optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad