Olympics: 2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Isn't Perry just one season removed from a 50 goal, 98 point season, when he won both a Hart and Richard trophy...? Why is everyone shortchanging him, especially given his history of success both with and without Hockey Canada.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Isn't Perry just one season removed from a 50 goal, 98 point season, when he won both a Hart and Richard trophy...? Why is everyone shortchanging him, especially given his history of success both with and without Hockey Canada.

true, but by the time the Olympics roll around he will be almost 3 years removed from that season (2010-11), and as I stated he has flaws in his game, he's not a big ice player, he's penalty prone and really, I don't give a ****what he did in the 2010-11 season, if he continues his poor play this year and the beginning of next, he should be left off. No legacy picks anymore. This was Gretzky gaff in 2006. If he's not on the top of his game in Dec 2013 (when teams are named) then leave him off. And the same goes for Getzlaf...

86Habs

May 4, 2009
true, but by the time the Olympics roll around he will be almost 3 years removed from that season (2010-11), and as I stated he has flaws in his game, he's not a big ice player, he's penalty prone and really, I don't give a ****what he did in the 2010-11 season, if he continues his poor play this year and the beginning of next, he should be left off. No legacy picks anymore. This was Gretzky gaff in 2006. If he's not on the top of his game in Dec 2013 (when teams are named) then leave him off. And the same goes for Getzlaf...

Agree wholeheartedly with the bolded; he's not a lock in my view, and needs to earn his spot on this roster, but I have confidence in him getting back to 40+ goal form this year and in that case I think it'll be hard to leave him off the team.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Agree wholeheartedly with the bolded; he's not a lock in my view, and needs to earn his spot on this roster, but I have confidence in him getting back to 40+ goal form this year and in that case I think it'll be hard to leave him off the team.

If Perry is a 40/40 man ripping it up, then you won't get a complaint from me if he's named to the team...

Claude Giroux is 1st line Right Winger and he's on the left side on the PP for one-timers, so him and Sid better smoke a peace pipe or something come time for Sochi, or Sid gets demoted to 2nd line center. Giroux plays RW on the 1st line.... no room there for anybody else. Where slow footed Perry fits in, hopefully it's in his basement watching games on the tube, but I see him falling down the depth charts rapidly.

Last edited:

hitmen19

Jan 21, 2013
Giroux isn't a lock???! This post is ludicrous. Giroux, Eberle, Tavares, and Pietrangelo will all be there if healthy. Giordano will be fighting for a spot for damn sure but my list was the only one to have him.

Truth is guy, a lot of people knew that Team Canada was going to be too soft at the WJC's. You called one obvious thing right, it doesn't make you special.

i was just about to say the same thing as you. in addition to crosby toews stamkos, the other locks up front will 100% be tavares and giroux, with giroux probably playing with crosby. eberle is a near lock. and pietrangelo will be top 4 dman, a lock

hitmen19

Jan 21, 2013
E.Staal - Crosby - Giroux <-- World class
Hall - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle <-- Easier minutes
Perry - Getzlaf - Stamkos <-- Tough line that can score
Tavares - Toews - Seguin <-- Best 4th line in the tournament
Benn

Letang - Weber
Keith - Doughty
Staal - Pietrangelo
J.Schultz :) - Like Doughty in 2008

Fleury
Ward
Price

yawn, another homer that declares the guys on his hometown team should be on the second line. No way RNH making team, to much depth. Hall chances would be around 25-30, while eberle should be close to a lock. stop being a homer

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Should we be talking more about Patrick Marleau? Obviously he won't keep up this pace, but he's looked great so far this year and, while he'll be a bit long in the tooth by 2014, he could be an ideal guy for the 13th forward - fantastic speed, good size, plays center or LW, great penalty killer, strong defensively, and wouldn't look out of place on a scoring line, either. He was good (but not great) in 2010, but was trusted by Babcock and saw a ton of ice time on special teams and ES.

I certainly wouldn't suggest that Thornton be on the roster (though he is off to a hot start, too), or that Marleau is anything but a long shot, but perhaps he should be in the discussion along with Jordan Staal, Carter, Sharp, Benn, Perry, etc.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Should we be talking more about Patrick Marleau? Obviously he won't keep up this pace, but he's looked great so far this year and, while he'll be a bit long in the tooth by 2014, he could be an ideal guy for the 13th forward - fantastic speed, good size, plays center or LW, great penalty killer, strong defensively, and wouldn't look out of place on a scoring line, either. He was good (but not great) in 2010, but was trusted by Babcock and saw a ton of ice time on special teams and ES.

I certainly wouldn't suggest that Thornton be on the roster (though he is off to a hot start, too), or that Marleau is anything but a long shot, but perhaps he should be in the discussion along with Jordan Staal, Carter, Sharp, Benn, Perry, etc.

I was wondering when we would see the first Thornton or Marleau post.

If he's at least a 40/40 guy, then he gets an invite to summer camp. Thornton has to be somewhere around 150 pts before I'd consider him. I'm not big on the whole San Jose vibe. Except for Coutour.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

I like the idea of someone like Maeleau in the 13th forward spot. Really liked his game at the 2010 Olympics and thought he was easily the best player on his line. If he's over 40 points this year I can see him getting an invitation to the summer camp, but he's still a huge long shot in my opinion. There are loads of talented young players, but fortunately for Marleau many of them are not yet two way performers.

I haven't read all 35 pages, but does anyone think Subban will get an invite?

Last time, Canada invited 16 defencemen to the summer camp. If they go with that number again Subban is probably a borderline candidate to get an invitation, and the longer this holdout goes on the lower his chances become. I wouldn't be surprised if the camp was filled with defensive defencemen, given that guys like Doughty, Keith, Pietrangelo and Letang can all handle puck carrying duties.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
And if anybody saw Perry's antics in the game against Vancouver last night, just further illustrates my point as to why I believe Perry adds no value to Team Canada, he's more of a liability than anything else. He's undisciplined and not an overly intelligent player, on big ice in a hostile environment, he brings nothing to the table.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
I haven't read all 35 pages, but does anyone think Subban will get an invite?

For what's it worth, I think he gets an invite but doesn't make the team because the team is pretty much set with Right handed D. If one of Doughty, Weber, Letang and Pietrangelo were to be a lefty, he'd probably be the 7th defensemen.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I am excited about the 2014 Olympics and Canadas chances for a gold medal. I think that Team Canada will more then likely be the same players as 2010. There will always be a few changes here are a couple different players I think could make the 2014 team. Jonathan Tavares was awesome in juniors but has also dominated in the NHL I could really see him getting a spot on the 2014 team. Jordan Eberle, captain clutch has been fantastic in the NHL after a incredible WJC run. There were questions about Eberles size and if he could do the same at the NHL level, like he did in the juniors, and he has overcome all the doubters, even with being on one of the worst teams in the NHL. Claude Giroux another player that has just been awesome in the nhl and exceeded expectations he could easily have a spot on the Olympic team. Steve Stamkos unbelievable how good this kid is for just 22 years of age. He can really do it all and would be great asset to Team Canada. Lastly for goaltending I could see Johnathon Quick being selected. Martin Brodeur did not look very good in the 2010 Olympics. However he looked awesome in the 2012 playoffs taking the NJ Devils all the way to the finals but I still have my doubts having him as our starter. Luongo is good when he is on but he has a tendency to let in a soft goal. And the guy can crack when things all go wrong. I think Quick after his stellar play in the 2012 playoffs is our best pick for #1 goaltender. That is just my opinion. The great thing about Canada is there is always so many great hockey players Canada always has a team with the potential to win gold. I can't wait for 2014 and for Olympic hockey to start.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I am excited about the 2014 Olympics and Canadas chances for a gold medal. I think that Team Canada will more then likely be the same players as 2010. There will always be a few changes here are a couple different players I think could make the 2014 team. Jonathan Tavares was awesome in juniors but has also dominated in the NHL I could really see him getting a spot on the 2014 team. Jordan Eberle, captain clutch has been fantastic in the NHL after a incredible WJC run. There were questions about Eberles size and if he could do the same at the NHL level, like he did in the juniors, and he has overcome all the doubters, even with being on one of the worst teams in the NHL. Claude Giroux another player that has just been awesome in the nhl and exceeded expectations he could easily have a spot on the Olympic team. Steve Stamkos unbelievable how good this kid is for just 22 years of age. He can really do it all and would be great asset to Team Canada. Lastly for goaltending I could see Johnathon Quick being selected. Martin Brodeur did not look very good in the 2010 Olympics. However he looked awesome in the 2012 playoffs taking the NJ Devils all the way to the finals but I still have my doubts having him as our starter. Luongo is good when he is on but he has a tendency to let in a soft goal. And the guy can crack when things all go wrong. I think Quick after his stellar play in the 2012 playoffs is our best pick for #1 goaltender. That is just my opinion. The great thing about Canada is there is always so many great hockey players Canada always has a team with the potential to win gold. I can't wait for 2014 and for Olympic hockey to start.

I like your enthusiasm, but Quick is American.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Marleau - 4 games / 8 goals (!) Unbelievable.

Thornton - 4 games / 11 points.

I really think there should be more talking about these two players.

Right now, at least Marleau would be on my team canada.

AlexanderTheGood

Agreed.

Right now I have Marleau slotted into my fourth line.

Steven Stamkos - Patrice Bergeron - Claude Giroux
Rick Nash - Jonathan Toews - Corey Perry
Eric Staal - Jordan Staal - Jordan Eberle
Patrick Marleau - Sidney Crosby - Jarome Iginla
John Tavares

Duncan Keith - Drew Doughty
Kris Letang - Shea Weber
Tyler Myers - Alex Pietrangelo
Dan Boyle/P.K. Subban

Marc-Andre Fleury
Carey Price
Corey Crawford

Last edited:

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Agreed.

Right now I have Marleau slotted into my fourth line.

Steven Stamkos - Patrice Bergeron - Claude Giroux
Rick Nash - Jonathan Toews - Corey Perry
Eric Staal - Jordan Staal - Jordan Eberle
Patrick Marleau - Sidney Crosby - Jarome Iginla
John Tavares

Duncan Keith - Drew Doughty
Kris Letang - Shea Weber
Tyler Myers - Alex Pietrangelo
Dan Boyle/P.K. Subban

Marc-Andre Fleury
Carey Price
Corey Crawford

I get what you're trying to say, but you have to remember that is is going to be on the big ice and players like Jordan Staal, Patrick Marleau and Jarome Iginla probably aren't going to make it. We need to go with youth, speed and skill. My lines (if the Olympics were to start today):

S. Stamkos - S. Crosby - C. Giroux
J. Neal - J. Tavares - J. Eberle
M. Richards - J. Toews - R. Nash
J. Benn - R. Getzlaf - C. Perry
J. Skinner

S. Weber - D. Keith
K. Letang - A. Pietrangelo
D. Doughty - T. Myers
B. Seabrook

C. Price
M. Fleury
R. Luongo

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I get what you're trying to say, but you have to remember that is is going to be on the big ice and players like Jordan Staal, Patrick Marleau and Jarome Iginla probably aren't going to make it. We need to go with youth, speed and skill. My lines (if the Olympics were to start today):

S. Stamkos - S. Crosby - C. Giroux
J. Neal - J. Tavares - J. Eberle
M. Richards - J. Toews - R. Nash
J. Benn - R. Getzlaf - C. Perry
J. Skinner

S. Weber - D. Keith
K. Letang - A. Pietrangelo
D. Doughty - T. Myers
B. Seabrook

C. Price
M. Fleury
R. Luongo

you say youth speed and skill, your 4th line is neither that youthful or that fast. Benn below average skater, Getzlaf below average, Perry below average, All three proved at last year's World Championship they CAN NOT play on big ice... and Perry, is just a bad penalty waiting to happen and really, with those 2 egos are they really going to accept 4th line roles. No. Bergeron and Seguin is our best bet on the 4th line. Who the LW is on that line....I'm open to Benn, but to put Benn with the other two dolts...would be a bad move.

No worries though dude, some people are in the Getzlaf/Perry camp some are indifferent. Me, personally, I'm just not a fan of either one. And was not impressed by Skinner last year in the NHL nor in the World Championships, other than 1 game against Finland, Skinner was underwhelming. We can do better than Skinner for a 13th forward.

Last edited:

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
you say youth speed and skill, your 4th line is neither that youthful or that fast. Benn below average skater, Getzlaf below average, Perry below average, All three proved at last year's World Championship they CAN NOT play on big ice... and Perry, is just a bad penalty waiting to happen and really, with those 2 egos are they really going to accept 4th line roles. No. Bergeron and Seguin is our best bet on the 4th line. Who the LW is on that line....I'm open to Benn, but to put Benn with the other two dolts...would be a bad move.

No worries though dude, some people are in the Getzlaf/Perry camp some are indifferent. Me, personally, I'm just not a fan of either one. And was not impressed by Skinner last year in the NHL nor in the World Championships, other than 1 game against Finland, Skinner was underwhelming. We can do better than Skinner for a 13th forward.

Getzlaf and Perry were key contributors last olympics and I think they deserve another look. One mediocre WC performance (where everyone on the team was mediocre) doesn't write them off for me. Also, about Skinner, I'm projecting a little with that pick. He's got 5 goals already in this young season and he'll be even better a year from now. Evander Kane could also slip on the Getzlaf and Perry line. Bergeron and Seguin could be a great fit on the fourth line too though, and again, I think Kane or Skinner could be a great fit on the LW of that line. Maybe even Taylor Hall if he goes on a real tear.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Marleau was always on the bubble for me with a shot of getting selected. If he keeps it up for the remainder of this year and start of the next, i have no problem with him being on the team as a 13th forward/4th line player. Absolute no to Joe Thornton especially on the big ice. He did not overly impress in Vancouver and looked slow as heck on the big ice in 2006.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Getzlaf and Perry were key contributors last olympics and I think they deserve another look. One mediocre WC performance (where everyone on the team was mediocre) doesn't write them off for me. Also, about Skinner, I'm projecting a little with that pick. He's got 5 goals already in this young season and he'll be even better a year from now. Evander Kane could also slip on the Getzlaf and Perry line. Bergeron and Seguin could be a great fit on the fourth line too though, and again, I think Kane or Skinner could be a great fit on the LW of that line. Maybe even Taylor Hall if he goes on a real tear.

I don't care what they did 4 years ago in Vancouver on small ice. Perry is a bad penalty machine a - player and will cost us in a tight game against one of the non-gold medal contenders. No legacy picks, that is just mimicking Gretzky's Torino fiasco. I'll take Seguin's 30 goals, responsible player on both sides of the puck discipline play over Perry in a heartbeat. Bergeron wins draws, is responsible player and can play anywhere in the lineup. At the very least he's the 13th forward. Getzlaf is not a fourth line player and his ego will only stink up the room. I'll argue until selection day the inclusion of Getzlaf/Perry and Skinner.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
I don't like Getzlaf for the 2014 team, either. Average (at best) skating, in the context of the larger ice surface; ill-suited to a limited, bottom-six type role; mediocre at taking faceoffs; not versatile enough to play the wing; and wouldn't be counted on to kill penalties at this level of competition. As a scoring center, he's been passed by Giroux and Tavares, and with the way each of them are playing right now I'd take Thornton over him as well (note - I'm not advocating for Thornton to be on the team). In my view, our centers should be Crosby, one of Stamkos or Giroux, Toews, and Bergeron, and Tavares would move over to the wing.

My views on Perry are documented above.

As far as Skinner goes, I don't personally have him on my team, but he's off to a good start this year and will merit some consideration by Hockey Canada. For me, he's right there in the mix with guys like Benn, Neal, Kane, and maybe even David Perron, who's also off to a great start this year. So, below other young wingers like Eberle, Seguin, and Hall.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I don't like Getzlaf for the 2014 team, either. Average (at best) skating, in the context of the larger ice surface; ill-suited to a limited, bottom-six type role; mediocre at taking faceoffs; not versatile enough to play the wing; and wouldn't be counted on to kill penalties at this level of competition. As a scoring center, he's been passed by Giroux and Tavares, and with the way each of them are playing right now I'd take Thornton over him as well (note - I'm not advocating for Thornton to be on the team). In my view, our centers should be Crosby, one of Stamkos or Giroux, Toews, and Bergeron, and Tavares would move over to the wing.

My views on Perry are documented above.

As far as Skinner goes, I don't personally have him on my team, but he's off to a good start this year and will merit some consideration by Hockey Canada. For me, he's right there in the mix with guys like Benn, Neal, Kane, and maybe even David Perron, who's also off to a great start this year. So, below other young wingers like Eberle, Seguin, and Hall.

I mentioned Parron as my surprise invitee to Summer Camp a while back and was loudly criticized for it. Parron was impressing me just prior to the concussion and now that that he seems to have that behind him he's been excellent. Fantastic player, a llongshot to make it, but he's on my ones to watch list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad