2014-2015 Season-Glass half empty/Glass half full

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
We are on the cusp for sure, and going relatively unnoticed doing it. I have a feeling in like 2 years, we will take the league by surprise and be a top 7 team in the league all year. I hope at least.

I'll give this process another 3 years before we really start making a run at the cup. Sucks to hear, but we are a playoff team now, I mean a true finals team in 3-4 years. It will be exciting :naughty:

When we add a true number 1 center I will agree with you. Until then we will not contend for a cup. Name one team that made it to the finals that didn't have a true number 1 center. I have hope that we will somehow find one soon but that is what this team needs to truly be a top contender.

Edit: Here is the list of names that played as the number one center of the cup winning team since the lockout.
E.Staal, Getzlaf, Datsyk, Crosby, Toews, Bergeron, Kopitar, Toews, Kopitar. We simply do not have anyone in our line-up or in the system that projects or is anywhere close to the level of the guys listed above. Sadly you have to be really bad to be good in this league and it looks like Poile is happy to just make the playoffs. Personally if there was one year to fail it would be this one. The two teams that pick one and two in this draft will end up being cup contenders in 4-5 years.

Last edited:

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
yeah... like the Oilers :)

They got their number one center in 2011. Give them a couple more years and they will start looking like a contender. People make fun of them and for good reason for some of the moves they have made but they have a very young talented group coming together there.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
They got their number one center in 2011. Give them a couple more years and they will start looking like a contender. People make fun of them and for good reason for some of the moves they have made but they have a very young talented group coming together there.

Oh, I know they do, but they've stockpiled top picks and turned them into bluechip players, and still find no clear path to the post-season.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
When we add a true number 1 center I will agree with you. Until then we will not contend for a cup. Name one team that made it to the finals that didn't have a true number 1 center. I have hope that we will somehow find one soon but that is what this team needs to truly be a top contender.

Edit: Here is the list of names that played as the number one center of the cup winning team since the lockout.
E.Staal, Getzlaf, Datsyk, Crosby, Toews, Bergeron, Kopitar, Toews, Kopitar. We simply do not have anyone in our line-up or in the system that projects or is anywhere close to the level of the guys listed above. Sadly you have to be really bad to be good in this league and it looks like Poile is happy to just make the playoffs. Personally if there was one year to fail it would be this one. The two teams that pick one and two in this draft will end up being cup contenders in 4-5 years.

I agree with this 100%. This has been my argument for a long time.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser

Last years Rangers didn't have a clear cut number 1 did they? Unless Derek Stepan's 57 points make him a number one.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Token, he did say Cup winning teams. That being said, I don't think Bergeron is as talented the other guys listed. Also, Staal and Crosby haven't even sniffed a Cup final since their wins. A 1C is important but it isn't the only thing keeping us from being contenders.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
Can we expect Rinne's GAA and SV% to rise a bit with Laviolette behind the bench? I know goalies had trouble in Philly tracking the puck in that system.

I care because Rinne is one of my fantasy goalies. And I hope you're all right and the Preds make the playoffs. The only team I see them passing in the standings is the Wild. We shall see.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Token, he did say Cup winning teams. That being said, I don't think Bergeron is as talented the other guys listed. Also, Staal and Crosby haven't even sniffed a Cup final since their wins. A 1C is important but it isn't the only thing keeping us from being contenders.

No, I bolded where he said teams in the finals.

The thing that gets you cups/makes you a playoff contender is a hot goalie and timely scoring.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
nonsense. Beer leagues have tougher defence than colorado

Colorado also has the offensive guns to out score what defensive issues they may have.

Rangers last year, Devils the year before, Calgary in 04, Edmonton in 05. Just like having a #1D isn't something that's absolutely vital to winning. But it sure makes things easier - and something most (but not all) winners have.

Question for Nashville fans. Just traded for Jarnkrok in my deep keeper league. How's he looking so far? I know he did great at the end of last season while playing as the #1C... however with Roy, Ribiero and Jokinen all here, what's his chances at getting NHL icetime, let alone top 6 icetime in a scoring role?

Also, in addition to how he's looked on the ice... has he put on any weight? TSN has him listed at 5-11, 153 lbs, while HF has him at 5-11 and 170 lbs.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Colorado also has the offensive guns to out score what defensive issues they may have.

The same's also been suggested of Edmonton in descriptions as to why they'll surely turn it around in 2011 2012 2013 2014 this season. Granted, Colorado's in much better shape all around, but I still don't think "outscoring the defense" is a viable strategy, especially given how thin theirs is. They'll be a tough competitor to be sure, and on paper I'd still call them the better team, but there's a glaringly obvious weakness to exploit and I think folks would be foolish not to lean on it.

Rangers last year, Devils the year before, Calgary in 04, Edmonton in 05. Just like having a #1D isn't something that's absolutely vital to winning. But it sure makes things easier - and something most (but not all) winners have.

Although I agree with your point, every one of those teams ultimately lost in the Finals, and so that's not going to sway the "we want shiny toys" crowd that constantly kvetches about the offense here. :)

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The same's also been suggested of Edmonton in descriptions as to why they'll surely turn it around in 2011 2012 2013 2014 this season. Granted, Colorado's in much better shape all around, but I still don't think "outscoring the defense" is a viable strategy, especially given how thin theirs is. They'll be a tough competitor to be sure, and on paper I'd still call them the better team, but there's a glaringly obvious weakness to exploit and I think folks would be foolish not to lean on it.

Yes and no. But there's a huge difference between Colorado and Edmonton over the last 2-3 seasons. While Colorado is weak on the blueline, they have a great forward group who actually knows how to play defense (something Edmonton hasn't really had the last few years) and an amazing goalie (something else Edmonton hasn't really had). And despite how weak Colorado's blueline may be, it's still been better than Edmonton's the last 2 years.

Although I agree with your point, every one of those teams ultimately lost in the Finals, and so that's not going to sway the "we want shiny toys" crowd that constantly kvetches about the offense here. :)

Shiny toys are good. And a couple are likely needed to go far - although which couple is debatable. However trying to get one of those can be hard as hell. You pretty much need the perfect situation (Boston needing cap space) and you need to have the assets that the other team wants. But outside of drafting one, about the best one can hope for is that they can build a complete team and things go well.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Nothing against Jones as I do think he is going to turn out to be a great player but this organization would be in a much better place right now had we been able to draft Mack or Barkov. We would have never traded Klein away and been very strong on the right side still without Jones. We were basically forced into adding to a strength of our team instead of a need.

I still think we need to be really bad another year before we will have a true foundation for a cup contender down in a year or two. The team we will ice this season has a really good shot to make the playoffs but after that I do not see them passing the first round let alone the second. Then what? We go into the offseason with only 6 forwards signed (Neal, Gaustad, Stalberg, Nystrom, Forsberg, and Clune) and the free agent list for next season even now looks very thin at forward. This is basically a one year hail mary Poile is throwing out there to try to make the playoffs but to what end?

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Nothing against Jones as I do think he is going to turn out to be a great player but this organization would be in a much better place right now had we been able to draft Mack or Barkov. We would have never traded Klein away and been very strong on the right side still without Jones. We were basically forced into adding to a strength of our team instead of a need.

I still think we need to be really bad another year before we will have a true foundation for a cup contender down in a year or two. The team we will ice this season has a really good shot to make the playoffs but after that I do not see them passing the first round let alone the second. Then what? We go into the offseason with only 6 forwards signed (Neal, Gaustad, Stalberg, Nystrom, Forsberg, and Clune) and the free agent list for next season even now looks very thin at forward. This is basically a one year hail mary Poile is throwing out there to try to make the playoffs but to what end?

This is exactly where we are. Poile has pretty much been put into a position of make the playoffs this year or be let go or retire. Im not sold that this team will be able to crack the playoffs this year either. The preseason told us nothing, thats what I am hoping. This would allow for the current roster a mulligan for the preseason because if they play this way in the regular season it will not be pretty. Poile has hung his job on Roy, Ribero and Jokinen to basically have career years. The remainder of the roster will depend on those three to spark the offense and no I have not forgot Neal. Neal is on a level of his own but will need support players to put up big numbers. The young guys are unproven at best and Jarnkrok had a particularly invisable camp.

This is the problem I saw when Lavi was hired, transferring a defense heavy team into a high flying offense is not an overnight thing. The front office is committed to this so by Christmas time we will know who on the team will be here next year. If the team fails into Jan we will see some deadline trades and the kids brought up for there chance to impress and earn a spot on next seasons team.

I agree with you that the team will have to be bad for at least one more draft to get that 1C, or a chance at that guy anyway since there is no sure thing in the draft.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN

This is exactly where we are. Poile has pretty much been put into a position of make the playoffs this year or be let go or retire. Im not sold that this team will be able to crack the playoffs this year either. The preseason told us nothing, thats what I am hoping. This would allow for the current roster a mulligan for the preseason because if they play this way in the regular season it will not be pretty. Poile has hung his job on Roy, Ribero and Jokinen to basically have career years. The remainder of the roster will depend on those three to spark the offense and no I have not forgot Neal. Neal is on a level of his own but will need support players to put up big numbers. The young guys are unproven at best and Jarnkrok had a particularly invisable camp.

This is the problem I saw when Lavi was hired, transferring a defense heavy team into a high flying offense is not an overnight thing. The front office is committed to this so by Christmas time we will know who on the team will be here next year. If the team fails into Jan we will see some deadline trades and the kids brought up for there chance to impress and earn a spot on next seasons team.

I agree with you that the team will have to be bad for at least one more draft to get that 1C, or a chance at that guy anyway since there is no sure thing in the draft.

Good posts.
Maybe we miss playoffs this year and the hockey gods give us the lotto.
Then as I set down to watch the draft I see Poile going to the podium with a devilish grin on his face and hear him say " with the first pick in the 2015 NHL draft the Nashville Predators proudly select Noah . . . " Then I wake up in a cold sweat. Thank God that was a dream. :laugh:

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
It is a great time to be a Preds fan. If we win, we win. If we lose, we win by dumping valuable pieces for draft picks and prospects. We literally can't lose.

Also, the forward pipeline is finally starting to blossom. Fiala, FF and Watson. Things are looking good.

I dunno if we will make the playoffs this year (going to have to beat Dallas, Colorado and Minnesota to get to the big stage. Time will tell. All i know is I am more excited about this season than any season since 2006-7.

Also, I just gotta say, Bergeron deserves to be on that list of centers. He may not be as talented offensively, but the guy is a wizard of timely scoring and absolutely clutch defensively. Tied with Dats as the top defensive center in the league.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
It is a great time to be a Preds fan. If we win, we win. If we lose, we win by dumping the GM that should have been held responsible for the lousy Fs and wasted 1st round G picks of recent years.

fixed that for ya

guess that puts me in the "half empty" crowd.....

hatedandproud

Feb 22, 2010
On the MBTA
There was a thread on the main board back before the draft titled "What happened to Nashville" or something like that.
In that thread I said the Preds make the WCF, I guess I'm in the half full crowd.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
I'd say this is more than half full.

B64SafyIAAI7NOn.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad