2014-2015 Season-Glass half empty/Glass half full

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Looking at our team and others in the west along with just about everyone picking us out of the playoffs makes me see this year as a win-win situation for Poile and the Predators organization. How you might ask?

Let's say Predators put it all together and we make the playoffs, in which no one can guess what can happen once you make it, this will give the owners and fans what they want.

But what if we are out of it at the trade deadline? Poile has a lot of pieces that could be in demand. Upcoming UFA's: Matt Cullen, Mike Fisher, Olli Jokinen, Mike Ribeiro, Derek Roy, Anton Volchenkov. Say we moved all or some of them if we are out of the race at the trade deadline, we could go into next years draft with some nice pieces. Also This is an important year for Wilson moving forward.

I can live with either way to be honest. I will be happy if we are in playoffs but if we do not make it and add some more pieces to go with our core of: Weber, Josi, Jones, Ekholm, Ellis, Rinne, Neal, Smith, Forsberg, Jarnkrok, and Fiala I am ok with this as well.

My gut tells me we will be in playoffs and we will defeat all the pundits, but who knows. I live hockey and hope we do well. Go Predators.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I was hoping we'd have a thread like this and to be honest, I'm excited about this year.

My prediction is we will have 4, if not 5 guys, hitting 60+ points. My bets are on Neal, Ribiero, Smith, Roy and Weber. I also think Wilson and Josi hit 50+ and Forsberg, yes Filip will be hitting 40+. We do that with Rinne in net and I think we're making the playoffs. Remember, we were 3 points out of the playoffs last year and while it seemed dismal at times, we were closer than most of us thought they were in the end.

I think Jones grows more as a player this year. I think Hook could also have a solid year as well. There is the unknown of Fiala makes it or not but from what I saw of him at the prospect games, the kid has IT. Can't quantify what IT is but he has IT. If he plays well for the rest of the pre-season and he gets a 9 game tryout and does well there, it would be hard to cut him loose to Europe for a season if he's deserved a spot here. I'm not holding my breath but every so often you get a 1st round pick somewhere that comes out of nowhere and dazzles the league. I really think we're due for something like that to happen and if Laviolette can work his magic with some of these youngsters, I think this could be a wild ride.

I also think we a lot more depth than we've had in recent years which has caused a lot of competition in camp which is a good thing. It also means the guys who've earned their spots will be here and that can't be bad either. It also looks like Lavi has been putting guys he wants to see on the opening night roster in games right off the bat so that they are ready for when the regular season starts which is something we didn't see as much under the previous regime. Training camp is way too short to mess around and I'm glad to see he's giving shots to guys but also trying to get chemistry with the guys he feels are sure things.

Can't wait for the season to start. Lots of optimism here and for once I hope it's warranted.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
George Carlin said that "the glass is too big!"

With a healthy Pekka, the Preds can get the #7 or #8 playoff spot. As usual, you hope to avoid any major injuries and want to see some player development, especially by the forward lines. More goal scoring will help the team and relieve some of the pressure on the defense and goalies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If everyone plays well we will be there. If only some play well we have a shot but who knows what happens. If almost no one play well we will be fighting to stay off the bottom.

I'm always one that tries to take the middle ground, because generally thats where the truth lies. That means battling for 7th or 8th spot imo.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
The EECBM (elitist East-coast biased media) still don't see us in the top nine in the Western Conference. They seem to think we're not better than Colorado, nor Arizona.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
The EECBM (elitist East-coast biased media) still don't see us in the top nine in the Western Conference. They seem to think we're not better than Colorado, nor Arizona.

It would be a stretch for ANY writer East, West or in between, to say that the Preds, on paper, were better than Colorado.

MrMariusz

Nov 13, 2007
Belgium
We are being heavily underestimated this season.
Our prospects have matured, we have suffered no significant losses to our core (that weren't compensated) and we have a pretty damn good coach.

Let them have us be the underdog though, always better to play in that role.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I know it's just preseason, but I really think we are gonna shock some teams who are used to seeing a specific system from the Preds. Can. Not. Wait!

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
We are being heavily underestimated this season.
Our prospects have matured, we have suffered no significant losses to our core (that weren't compensated) and we have a pretty damn good coach.

Let them have us be the underdog though, always better to play in that role.

This is my thinking as well.... Look, I am not saying we are gonna win the Cup, but the fact that we are dead last in the league (same as Buffalo) in cup odds is a little crazy....

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
As the offseason has progressed and now seeing a couple of preseason games live, this is as excited as I have been since the pre-fire sale days. I think we make the playoffs this season. If not, I am still pumped about the future here with guys like Forsberg, Fiala, etc.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
As the offseason has progressed and now seeing a couple of preseason games live, this is as excited as I have been since the pre-fire sale days. I think we make the playoffs this season. If not, I am still pumped about the future here with guys like Forsberg, Fiala, etc.

Just sitting here thinking how much has changed in a very short time- when Seth Jones fell to us in the draft 2 years ago (meaning we missed out on getting the much needed impact forward) the big worry for everyone was that we had zero young dynamic forward prospects. Now just a year and a half later, we now have 3- Forsberg, Jarnkrok, and Fiala. With our defense being set for awhile, its hard not to be excited for the future.....

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Just sitting here thinking how much has changed in a very short time- when Seth Jones fell to us in the draft 2 years ago (meaning we missed out on getting the much needed impact forward) the big worry for everyone was that we had zero young dynamic forward prospects. Now just a year and a half later, we now have 3- Forsberg, Jarnkrok, and Fiala. With our defense being set for awhile, its hard not to be excited for the future.....

I too am very excited about Forsberg, Jarnkrok, and Fiala but we still need a #1 Center on this team going forward. Remember what Poile said when he got Neal, " he would get a #1 Center to go with him sooner or later".

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
I wasn't very happy with most of the moves made during the offseason. After watching them practice a couples times so far I have some hope for this season. We have a ton of depth, we have Rinne back, we have another year under our young D's belt, and we have a new system that should be enjoyable to watch.

I am trying not to get overly excited as a new system will take some time to really gel more than likely. My biggest frustration over the offseason was after signing all these vets I thought there would be no chance for Forsberg/Jarnkrok to even make the team. Happy to see them playing well and making a strong case. they are the future and I really hope they get their shot this year.

Gooooooo Preds!

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I wasn't very happy with most of the moves made during the offseason. After watching them practice a couples times so far I have some hope for this season. We have a ton of depth, we have Rinne back, we have another year under our young D's belt, and we have a new system that should be enjoyable to watch.

I am trying not to get overly excited as a new system will take some time to really gel more than likely. My biggest frustration over the offseason was after signing all these vets I thought there would be no chance for Forsberg/Jarnkrok to even make the team. Happy to see them playing well and making a strong case. they are the future and I really hope they get their shot this year.

Gooooooo Preds!

It's good that Forsberg and Jarnkrok have to fight for their jobs. Talent alone or draft position shouldn't decide a players fate on a roster. He should earn his spot and if bringing in vets on cheap contracts made the younger guys bust their tail to be in the NHL this season then it was money well spent.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
IMO, a lot rests on how quick the team can gel and pick up the new system. Between the turnover and new coach/system, it's an entirely new team.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1709753&highlight=2014

This was the 2014/2015 predictions thread I made for this year (did the same last year). My realistic prediction is 5th in the central, playoffs a maybe depending on the Pacific's performance. Half full is 3rd with a second round appearance. Half empty is 7th ~bottom 5-10 in the league. I have us 4th in the central in my predictions meaning I'm positive on the team, but not 100% on the half full glass side.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Can we revisit this thread in late November after the league has played at least a quarter of the games ... I'm thinking the team finishes 5th or 6th in the division

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I am pumped up !

Solid defence, solid goaltending ... locked in for some years. And serious forwards in the pipe ?? at a decent price for the years to come (ELC) !!!

This is a mixture that bodes very well ! if not this year ... next ! or the year after ...
And don't make fun of me but i predict one or two finals (stanley cup) in the coming 4 to 5 years.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I think it will be a bit ugly at first as guys try to adapt to the system.

I think so too, but in those transition periods you really need to rely on defense and goaltending which this team should be able to handle. I don't think you'll get a good gauge as to what this team is capable of until late november/early december. There are alot of talented players up front, I'm interested to see how they mesh together.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
I am pumped up !

Solid defence, solid goaltending ... locked in for some years. And serious forwards in the pipe ?? at a decent price for the years to come (ELC) !!!

This is a mixture that bodes very well ! if not this year ... next ! or the year after ...
And don't make fun of me but i predict one or two finals (stanley cup) in the coming 4 to 5 years.

We are on the cusp for sure, and going relatively unnoticed doing it. I have a feeling in like 2 years, we will take the league by surprise and be a top 7 team in the league all year. I hope at least.

I'll give this process another 3 years before we really start making a run at the cup. Sucks to hear, but we are a playoff team now, I mean a true finals team in 3-4 years. It will be exciting :naughty:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I am pumped up !

I agree as well. Im not expecting a whole lot this season but when the season is over is when we will be really jacked up. All the contracts ending and a number of young players ready. When they get a couple years under there belt it will be time to start thinking about that big shiny thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad