2014-2015 schedule discussion

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
And another year where we start play on October 8 and the season tediously goes into mid June.

Why October 1 isn't the season opener every year is beyond me.

Season's too long. Hockey should not be played in June. Regular season schedule should be reduced to 80, and the pre-season to 4 games top, so we can shave two weeks.

No one much cares for tune ups and I find the opening month always more entertaining as teams haven't got their creativity quashing systems into top gear, and, of course, miscues abound making things more unpredictable.

Butcher

Dec 7, 2013
12 back to back games is a reasonable number this year. Though it looks like the Canucks have to travel on all of them.

Oct 17 in Edmonton Oct 18 home to Tampa (1.5)
Oct 23 in St Louis Oct 24 in Colorado (2.2)
Nov 1 in Edmonton Nov 2 home to Nashville (1.5)
Nov 8 in LA Nov 9 in Anaheim (0.75 driving)
Nov 19 in Edmonton, Nov 20 home to Anaheim (1.5)
Dec 6 in Toronto Dec 7 in Ottawa (1)
Jan 15 in Philly Jan 16 in Carolina (1.5)
Jan 19 Florida, Jan 20 in Tampa (1)
Feb 13 home to Boston Feb 14 in Calgary (1.5)
Feb 19 at NYR, Feb 20 in New Jersey (0.5 driving)
March 21 in LA, March 22 in Phoenix (1.5)
March 30 in St Louis, March 31 in Nashville (1)

Though the NYR to New Jersey and California teams back to back are not really traveling. Number in brackets is flight time between cities, UNO. Just wanted to check that for my own amusement. That doesn't take into account time getting to and from the airport, but just thought it might be interesting. Only one back to back with flight time over two hours.

And Anaheim on the tail end of a back to back twice looks like a couple of very tough games.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
So correct me if I'm wrong.
Every game on the weekend and on Wednesday will be televised? Does this mean more hockey for those of us not in BC?

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Canucks play 19 games where the opponent is playing a back-to-back and the Canucks are resting.

Even the NHL is threatened by Canucks fan apathy.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
WTF. Why are our Saturday games so crappy? No montreaL??/

Sat.Oct.11.2014 - Edmonton
Sat.Oct.18.2014 - Tampa Bay
Sat.Dec.13.2014 - NY Rangers
Sat.Dec.20.2014 - Calgary
Sat.Jan.03.2015 - Detroit
Sat.Jan.10.2015 - Calgary
Sat.Feb.07.2015 - Pittsburgh
Sat.Mar.15.2015 - Toronto
Sat.Mar.28.2015 - Dallas
Sat.Apr.11.2015 - Edmonton

Tampa Bay? Dallas? NY Rangers? Why put us in Saturday games against non-rival eastern teams... games which have little to no passion or appeal. Shoulda been Montreal, Boston and Chicago or LA. What a joke.

What's next, are they gonna take away our one Toronto game on Saturday? Bad enough they put it on at 4pm our time.

Welcome to the EHL folks (Eastern Hockey League).

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
BqxPnKCCAAAs3Bl.png

Vancouver actually has one of the easier scheduals. Most in the rested category with 19.

Also Buffalo schedual looks like they are already signed up for McDavid. One of the toughest I must say.

Patchey*

BqxPnKCCAAAs3Bl.png

Vancouver actually has one of the easier scheduals. Most in the rested category with 19.

Also Buffalo schedual looks like they are already signed up for McDavid. One of the toughest I must say.

Why the **** does LA and Winipeg only have 9 back to backs?

TTOMO

Aug 30, 2011
Port Moody, BC
Every year, I check the October and early November parts of the Canucks and Lions schedules and see if any of the away games for both teams line up. This year:

November 1st - Lions at Eskimos 4pm PT/5pm MT
November 1st - Canucks at Oilers 7pm PT/8pm MT

Now, that's cutting it a quite close for fans that want to come out from Vancouver to see both games. Football games tend to be maybe half an hour longer than hockey games, so by the time the Lions game is over, it will be time for puck drop. I don't know why those games would be scheduled that way unless the stadiums were right next to each other. The last time both the Canucks and Lions were in the same opposing city at the same time (October 12th & 13th, 2007 in Edmonton, both Canucks and Lions wins, great trip. And both teams were at the same hotel.), they played on back to back days and it was perfect that way. Maybe the Eskimos should move their kickoff up an hour to 3pm PT/4pm MT to give fans at Commonwealth time to get to Rexall and not be late for the hockey game.

CBCnutcase

Sep 11, 2007
WTF. Why are our Saturday games so crappy? No montreaL??/

Sat.Oct.11.2014 - Edmonton
Sat.Oct.18.2014 - Tampa Bay
Sat.Dec.13.2014 - NY Rangers
Sat.Dec.20.2014 - Calgary
Sat.Jan.03.2015 - Detroit
Sat.Jan.10.2015 - Calgary
Sat.Feb.07.2015 - Pittsburgh
Sat.Mar.15.2015 - Toronto
Sat.Mar.28.2015 - Dallas
Sat.Apr.11.2015 - Edmonton

Tampa Bay? Dallas? NY Rangers? Why put us in Saturday games against non-rival eastern teams... games which have little to no passion or appeal. Shoulda been Montreal, Boston and Chicago or LA. What a joke.

What's next, are they gonna take away our one Toronto game on Saturday? Bad enough they put it on at 4pm our time.

Welcome to the EHL folks (Eastern Hockey League).
I get what you're saying especially with the 4:00 start against the Leafs. Speaking of non-rival eastern teams, the only one would be Tampa Bay. The Rangers do have history with the Canucks, just like the Bruins. The Stars are okay to have on Sat. night but the Oilers twice the way they are playing?

CBCnutcase

Sep 11, 2007
16 Saturday games.

Doubtful they'll all be national.

As long as I didn't miss any, the only two that aren't national are the Kings on March 21 and Jets on April 4. The rest are on CBC or HNIC.
Those two games will be national. They won't be part of the HNIC telecasts on those Saturdays but they will be seen on the SN Pacific channel across Canada. Regional SN games on Sun. Wed. and Sat. can be seen nationally as those channels will be unlocked on those days.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Those two games will be national. They won't be part of the HNIC telecasts on those Saturdays but they will be seen on the SN Pacific channel across Canada. Regional SN games on Sun. Wed. and Sat. can be seen nationally as those channels will be unlocked on those days.

Thanks for this. I have been searching for this answer forever!

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
So up to 34 nationally televised games, depending on the CBC channel allocations. Between 5 - 7 a month. Man, I am going to miss having Gamecenter. I am happy that the pre-season games will all be national.

Zednix

Aug 30, 2014
How can I watch the Canucks while living in Alberta? Last year while I still had cable the SN-P games were blacked out for almost every game here even though I PAID to watch those damn games. What is a good sports streaming site to use?

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
How can I watch the Canucks while living in Alberta? Last year while I still had cable the SN-P games were blacked out for almost every game here even though I PAID to watch those damn games. What is a good sports streaming site to use?

I have the same problem. What's the use in paying for extra channels when you can't view its exclusive content? The rest of its content is almost identical to Sportsnet West and the rest of the regional channels, so nothing special there.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I have the same problem. What's the use in paying for extra channels when you can't view its exclusive content? The rest of its content is almost identical to Sportsnet West and the rest of the regional channels, so nothing special there.

Blame the Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1