Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building / Proposal Thread Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

With all due respect, you couldn't be more wrong. You have no idea what the price is going to be on deadline day. A key injury or two in on a contending team could add a few more bidders in the Vermette sweepstakes which will drive the price up. All we know is what the price is right now.

I could be wrong. I have been wrong before. But doubt that the prices will remain as advertised, considering we are told this year in and year out and the price always lowers... and because this year the supply is much higher than the demand is...

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
With all due respect, you couldn't be more wrong. You have no idea what the price is going to be on deadline day. A key injury or two in on a contending team could add a few more bidders in the Vermette sweepstakes which will drive the price up. All we know is what the price is right now.

Plus in this season, we just saw that two UFAs cost a 2015 1st, established decent player in Jokinen, and a decent prospect in Leipsic

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

As we get closer to the deadline, prices tend to drop as selling teams with UFAs get more desperate to not lose them for nothing. Nashville really paid a premium to get in early, despite Toronto fans say "see! 1st rounder for Franson!"

The thing is, Vermette might be the best forward on the market, but he's not the only one. Winnik, Horcoff, Bergenheim, Letestu and who knows what non-rental players will be available. They all pull Vermette's cost down... to market. I'm not under the illusion that anyone will get him at a bargain. But I'd be surprised if he went for anything other than market.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Plus in this season, we just saw that two UFAs cost a 2015 1st, established decent player in Jokinen, and a decent prospect in Leipsic

Jokinen is not decent. He was a roster dump, plain and simple. He's put up practically nothing this year and was a healthy scratch for almost every game the Preds have played in March.

Price was inflated anyway.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
What's my agenda? I like Hayes. I've met him a few times. watched him play at BC for 3 years (he didn't play much his JR year). He didn't play this well at BC. I actually didn't think he would be able to come in this year do what he's doing now. There was nothing to suggest he would become this dominant. I'm so happy it's working out.

My friend who was a BC hockey die hard called this.

But it would be wise to get someone in the event of A injury, or the event that Hayes' production tapers off again.

I never said it was you. I also watched Hayes along with his brother and Kreider a lot. ( I absolutely love college hockey) which is why I was confident with Hayes' transition to the NHL in his rookie season. But I do agree to a degree with you about his production in the PO since he's never been in the NHL POs. Hopefully he'll be like Kreider in terms of performing in the POs

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
Not sure I would want Stallberg but the options are going fast.

Cross Santo off the list. Vermette will cost a ton--maybe Sather has someone in mind that no one is thinking about.

BarbaraAlphanse

As we get closer to the deadline, prices tend to drop as selling teams with UFAs get more desperate to not lose them for nothing. Nashville really paid a premium to get in early, despite Toronto fans say "see! 1st rounder for Franson!"

The thing is, Vermette might be the best forward on the market, but he's not the only one. Winnik, Horcoff, Bergenheim, Letestu and who knows what non-rental players will be available. They all pull Vermette's cost down... to market. I'm not under the illusion that anyone will get him at a bargain. But I'd be surprised if he went for anything other than market.

Is it really a premium?

Late late first and a B prospect + roster dump.

Reported asking prices on both:

Franson - first and top prospect
Santorelli - 2nd.

That's lower than what they wanted.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I don't disagree. I know they tend to get lower. My point is regarding the fixation of the many posters on Vermette. Overall the market will get cheaper. A key injury or two could change the price of a guy like Vermette. A team that loses a top 6 C can use Vermette in that spot. I don't think many teams will be trusting Winnik as a #1 or #2 C.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Is it really a premium?

Late late first and a B prospect + roster dump.

Reported asking prices on both:

Franson - first and top prospect
Santorelli - 2nd.

That's lower than what they wanted.

Only because what they wanted was waaay too high. Waiting until the deadline on the same deal probably wouldn't have garnered an actual 1st.

BarbaraAlphanse

Only because what they wanted was waaay too high. Waiting until the deadline on the same deal probably wouldn't have garnered an actual 1st.

Sure. But can't we also translate this to what Phx wants for Vermette? Estimated asking price is way too high. Same as what the ML's wanted for Franson.

What's equivalent to a late late first? 2 2nd's? That's actually more since our two 2nd's could probably buy you higher into the 1st than where the Preds will pick.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Vitale looked pretty good last night too. Remaining years/money is same as Glass (-50k). Would Arizona take Glass + a pick for Vitale?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Sure. But can't we also translate this to what Phx wants for Vermette? Estimated asking price is way too high. Same as what the ML's wanted for Franson.

What's equivalent to a late late first? 2 2nd's? That's actually more since our two 2nd's could probably buy you higher into the 1st than where the Preds will pick.

Well yeah. Vermette will come down, unless someone makes an impulse overpayment due to an injury in their top 6.

The model for Vermette is still Legwand. 2nd round pick + B prospect + high end AHLer/13th forward. Twist is around how you want. Rangers direct equivalent is 2nd round pick, Oscar Lindberg, Chris Mueller.

BarbaraAlphanse

Well yeah. Vermette will come down, unless someone makes an impulse overpayment due to an injury in their top 6.

The model for Vermette is still Legwand. 2nd round pick + B prospect + high end AHLer/13th forward. Twist is around how you want. Rangers direct equivalent is 2nd round pick, Oscar Lindberg, Chris Mueller.

Depends if the FO believes that Lindberg or their 2nd round pick is more valuable.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I like Lindberg too. But I am not exactly attached to him. The East is wide open this year. Vermette could go a long way. There's also the issue of whether or not Arizona wants a prospect they've already dealt once.

BarbaraAlphanse

I like Lindberg too. But I am not exactly attached to him. The East is wide open this year. Vermette could go a long way. There's also the issue of whether or not Arizona wants a prospect they've already dealt once.

I wonder if they really work to expand the trade - if they go for Vermette.

McIlrath is probably available. Maloney wants a crease clearer.

2nd + McIlrath + ____ = Vermette + ______

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
Love that trade for Nashville, that defense has to be the best in the league now and with a solid goalie behind it too.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Boyd Gordon is a fourth line center and I don't want 3 million in cap space tied up in a fourth line center next year. Dominic Moore provides what Gordon does at a fraction of the cost.

lol i thought he made like 850k lol. that might be the worst contract in history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad