Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building / Proposal Thread Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

Bergenheim is a very interesting name. I know some on here had him on their wish list way before this weekend's developments.

His agent is very smart. I'll give him that. There is a lot of blowback w/ Bergenheim's agent - he opened his mouth on something that is pretty common w/ the NHL. Which GM's want to take a risk on a player who will openly speak against the coaching staff/management? The agent is an extension of the player.

The agent's goal was to get Bergenheim out of that environment. Sacrificed his own image to lower the price of his client in a trade. I'm sure he will get moved, and for an affordable price (in terms of assets)... and he's a player that if you could get him for a 3rd/4th that a contender would absolutely acquire. Two birds with one stone... not only does he get his client out of Florida, but he increased the likelihood that a contender trades for him too, with the lower price tag.

It also tells me something about what Bergenheim's motivation will be as soon as he's out of Florida. This is a risk for the player and agent, establishing image of themselves as hard to deal w/ - as a non loyal and vocally outspoken tandem. Which will mean for his next contract, since he is an UFA, he'll need to let his playing do the talking... big motivation, and also big confidence if he's willing to poison pill his image just to get out of his situation.

He's a guy you'd want to end the season. A guy playing for his bread. A guy with a huge chip on his shoulder.

Perhaps Bergenheim and a defender, for Sather...

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
Stalberg is on waivers from Nashville. He has had a down year, but put up good numbers in the past, could be a Sather reclamation project, but he is signed for two more seasons at a cap hit of 2.5 mil/season. Unless rangers trade for him or trade glass for a bag of pucks I don't think they can't fit him under the cap, plus makes the cap more difficult for the next couple of years. But as far as the type of player, I have always been a fan of his, I think he would add depth the rangers need with a real good fourth line of Stalberg-Moore-Fast to chip in on offense.

BarbaraAlphanse

Justin Williams would be an incredible, incredible pickup. I can on board with Bergenheim, too. What an incredible playoffs he had a few years back.

He is beloved in LA. Can't see it happening, but then again crazier things have happened. Gomez and Holik signed w/ the Rangers, after all..:laugh:

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Stalberg is on waivers from Nashville. He has had a down year, but put up good numbers in the past, could be a Sather reclamation project, but he is signed for two more seasons at a cap hit of 2.5 mil/season. Unless rangers trade for him or trade glass for a bag of pucks I don't think they can't fit him under the cap, plus makes the cap more difficult for the next couple of years. But as far as the type of player, I have always been a fan of his, I think he would add depth the rangers need with a real good fourth line of Stalberg-Moore-Fast to chip in on offense.

stalburg has money left and yrs so no

Kaleta hurt so brooks can shut up now

It's going to be a depth forward out of left field

If like a ld rental or hockey trade for j moore

BarbaraAlphanse

He's a guy Sather would have picked up a few years ago. Don't know about now. Plus his cap hit is bad.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Over the top. Go back to sleep. The Rangers wanted to sign Santorelli last summer. You didn't know that:shakehead

Darren Dreger

Really? Quoting Dreger as if if he's the gospel truth about anything. The same guy that said this, last year, going into the trade deadline:

"2/25/14: 8:15AM: Dreger believes that the St. Louis Blues are more focused on acquiring Ryan Callahan than Ryan Miller. (TSN 1050)"

Who'd they end up getting?

The same guy that said St. Louis wasn't going to be traded?

"It could be, when you're talking about big names: Ryan Miller is on that list - near the top of that list. We've been talking about Martin St. Louis for the past several days, Ryan Kesler - obviously, Ryan Callahan is in there. Of that group, the only guy I think is going to be traded - and he may not given the way he's softening a bit in contract negotiations - is Callahan..."

This is your source? Maybe YOU should go back to sleep.

Santorelli got one year. Glass got 3 years. If you can't see that,then there isn't much to discuss. Glass was a healthy scratch in 5 of the 7 games in the Rangers series. The contract was structured so the Rangers could dump Glass. They knew it was a bad deal when they gave it to him.

Not making a case on behalf of Glass, not at all. Terrible player. Crap contract. Santorelli was coming off an injury and that's why the Rangers passed, not because they wanted him for 900K.

The Rangers were looking to add a player in a trade they wanted to sign in the summer for 1 year/$1M to replace the other player they signed to 3 years at $4.35M. That's good management?

Mike Rupp. Booggaard. Glass.

Good management? A team that went to the Final last year and the ECF's two years before that and you think they're managed poorly?

Hayes
Haggerty
Klein trade
McD trade and subsequent contract
Staal extension
MZA pick up
Stempniak contract
Nash trade
Stepan draft
Hagelin draft
Kreider draft
Girardi extension
Lundqvist extension
Talbot extension
D. Moore extension
Duclair draft
Skjei draft
Brassard trade/contract
AV signing

and on, and on, an on.

Excellent management. Period. Since the first lockout, few teams have been managed better than the New York Rangers. Every team in the league has contracts they'd want to take back.

Glen & co. sucked pre 2005, but that management team has been improving EVERY year since the lockout despite blips like signing Glass and not taking a risk on an injured guy like Santorelli.

Quit magnifying crap and look at the big picture.

BarbaraAlphanse

stalburg has money left and yrs so no

Kaleta hurt so brooks can shut up now

It's going to be a depth forward out of left field

If like a ld rental or hockey trade for j moore

Vermette looked pretty good last night, no?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Vermette looked pretty good last night, no?

That means nothing. Vermette is an established commodity. How he looks from one night to the next is meaningless. What means something is who blinks first. Is it going to be one of the interested GMs or is it going to be Arizona? I would be shocked if it is one of the interested parties.

The Rangers have two options. Pony up the asking price now and beat the competition (foolish based on the asking price) or to wait patiently for other GM's to make deals and get Vermette cheaper (although run the risk of not getting anything substantial at the deadline).

I would be shocked if Vermette is a Ranger after the deadline.

BarbaraAlphanse

I'd say he killed his audition.. over 70% on draws, possessed the puck, and scored a goal.

Yes... he really did. I'm surprised he isn't on the plane back getting ready to play the Isle's tmrw...

Played on the powerplay. Obviously we didn't get to see him on the PK since the refs were no help at all for us, but he's on their top unit (I believe). Was great at draws (although that's not really saying much against our centers). Showed offense.

Acquiring him hedges against a Hayes drop off as March wears on. Players have drop offs, would be wise to hedge your risk on him.

BarbaraAlphanse

That means nothing. Vermette is an established commodity. How he looks from one night to the next is meaningless. What means something is who blinks first. Is it going to be one of the interested GMs or is it going to be Arizona? I would be shocked if it is one of the interested parties.

The Rangers have two options. Pony up the asking price now and beat the competition (foolish based on the asking price) or to wait patiently for other GM's to make deals and get Vermette cheaper (although run the risk of not getting anything substantial at the deadline).

I would be shocked if Vermette is a Ranger after the deadline.

He is a possibility, and my point was to say that he wouldn't come out of left field.

I happen to think that he will be a Ranger unless another team jumps the gun on the deadline, like the Jets and Predators.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
He is a possibility, and my point was to say that he wouldn't come out of left field.

I happen to think that he will be a Ranger unless another team jumps the gun on the deadline, like the Jets and Predators.

I doubt it. Sather won't overpay on a trade. He doesn't have a history of doing it and the only example is the St. Louis trade but you have to actually consider that overpaying (which I don't). If what was being speculated a few pages ago is correct about the Rangers and Santorelli because Toronto may have wanted Halverson, I can't imagine Sather giving up more than that for a player who is so very similar to Santorelli (despite what most people here want to believe).

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
Yes... he really did. I'm surprised he isn't on the plane back getting ready to play the Isle's tmrw...

Played on the powerplay. Obviously we didn't get to see him on the PK since the refs were no help at all for us, but he's on their top unit (I believe). Was great at draws (although that's not really saying much against our centers). Showed offense.

Acquiring him hedges against a Hayes drop off as March wears on. Players have drop offs, would be wise to hedge your risk on him.

If Hayes was going to drop off it would already of happened. If anything he's getting better each game now. He's going to be our third line center the rest of the season. AV made it pretty clear he was.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Justin Williams would be an incredible, incredible pickup. I can on board with Bergenheim, too. What an incredible playoffs he had a few years back.

Kings are 3 points behind Calgary and Vancouver. They aren't selling. There'll be lots of nervous people if Kings sneak in.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
If Hayes was going to drop off it would already of happened. If anything he's getting better each game now. He's going to be our third line center the rest of the season. AV made it pretty clear he was.

I like how definitive you say this as if there isn't another 29 games to be played.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

He can still hit the wall. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

BarbaraAlphanse

I doubt it. Sather won't overpay on a trade. He doesn't have a history of doing it and the only example is the St. Louis trade but you have to actually consider that overpaying (which I don't). If what was being speculated a few pages ago is correct about the Rangers and Santorelli because Toronto may have wanted Halverson, I can't imagine Sather giving up more than that for a player who is so very similar to Santorelli (despite what most people here want to believe).

His value is not similar to Santorelli's, though. It really isn't. Vermette is a proven commodity. Perhaps it was the last thread, but I highlighted how their careers have gone. Santorelli is a risk because he has such a volatile history - with production and injuries. Vermette is dependable - he consistently plays over 75 + games every season. He consistently produces over a certain amount of points every season. He consistently is more prevalent on his face-off abilities year in and year out.

That consistency... it'll cost a higher premium.

And it'll be hard to envision that Vermette gets his estimated price. Franson's price was a 1st and a top prospect. Dreger broke it down, or was it McKenzie? Franson yielded the Nashville 1st. As it stands, that 1st is the last pick in the 1st round... can even be considered a high 2nd.

Santorelli got a prospect who can top out as a 3rd/4th but many scouts don't believe he'll be a NHL regular.

And Jokinen, who might get a middle-late draft pick by a contender.

The price for rentals isn't going to be too high. So I don't think Sather will have to pony anything crazy up just to help our depth out.

BarbaraAlphanse

Hedging protects against taking the risk. Why not have a contingency in case it does happen...?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
AV actually brought it up after the west coast trip and said he's fine with Hayes at 3C and he's comfortable with him at C come playoff time. Some people just want to keep pushing their agenda even if their wrong.

I was referring to the "if he was going to drop off, it'd have happened" comment.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
His value is not similar to Santorelli's, though. It really isn't. Vermette is a proven commodity. Perhaps it was the last thread, but I highlighted how their careers have gone. Santorelli is a risk because he has such a volatile history - with production and injuries. Vermette is dependable - he consistently plays over 75 + games every season. He consistently produces over a certain amount of points every season. He consistently is more prevalent on his face-off abilities year in and year out.

That consistency... it'll cost a higher premium.

And it'll be hard to envision that Vermette gets his estimated price. Franson's price was a 1st and a top prospect. Dreger broke it down, or was it McKenzie? Franson yielded the Nashville 1st. As it stands, that 1st is the last pick in the 1st round... can even be considered a high 2nd.

Santorelli got a prospect who can top out as a 3rd/4th but many scouts don't believe he'll be a NHL regular.

And Jokinen, who might get a middle-late draft pick by a contender.

The price for rentals isn't going to be too high. So I don't think Sather will have to pony anything crazy up just to help our depth out.

With all due respect, you couldn't be more wrong. You have no idea what the price is going to be on deadline day. A key injury or two in on a contending team could add a few more bidders in the Vermette sweepstakes which will drive the price up. All we know is what the price is right now.

BarbaraAlphanse

AV actually brought it up after the west coast trip and said he's fine with Hayes at 3C and he's comfortable with him at C come playoff time. Some people just want to keep pushing their agenda even if their wrong.

What's my agenda? I like Hayes. I've met him a few times. I watched him play at BC for 3 years (he didn't play much his JR year). He didn't play this well at BC. I actually didn't think he would be able to come in this year do what he's doing now. There was nothing to suggest he would become this dominant. I'm so happy it's working out.

My friend who was a BC hockey die hard called this.

But it would be wise to get someone in the event of A injury, or the event that Hayes' production tapers off again.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
What's my agenda? I like Hayes. I've met him a few times. I watched him play at BC for 3 years (he didn't play much his JR year). He didn't play this well at BC. I actually didn't think he would be able to come in this year do what he's doing now. There was nothing to suggest he would become this dominant. I'm so happy it's working out.

My friend who was a BC hockey die hard called this.

But it would be wise to get someone in the event of A injury, or the event that Hayes' production tapers off again.

Now this I do agree with 100%. Playoff hockey is very different from regular season hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad