Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building / Proposal Thread Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Still think Methot is the best option. Would only cost a low 2015 or (higher) 2016 pick, maybe Hunwick/Kristo/Bourque...

OTT is rebuilding and needs some pieces.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
LAK is falling. They snuck out a 2-0 win against the lousy Leafs last night. 2nd goal was the empty netter. Toffoli and Pearson are out. The team hasnt played well as it is. I could see them dealing Williams, Stoll at the deadline and going with youth on the back end lines for cap relief. The emergence of Toffoli and Pearson are making the older UFA vets expendable.

Stoll would be ideal for the Rangers.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Can someone tell me if this team could work cap-wise for next season?

Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Kreider-Stepan-St. Louis
Duclair-Hayes-Buchnevich
Miller-Moore-Fast

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Boyle
Skjei-Klein

Hank
Cam

Re-sign Zucc, MSL, Staal. Let Stempniak and John Moore walk. Trade Hagelin for some picks/prospects at the draft. Do whatever with Glass that keeps him out of the lineup and is best for the cap.

Zuccarello Awesome*

In a salary cap world, young roster players have greater value than they did pre-cap. You won't see the sort of deals where players like Amonte are traded for vet rentals (re: '94) as much as it would make hockey sense to do so as the team will be severely handicapped moving forward. Proportionally even more than in the past.

It's because young players are cost-controlled, and to remain competitive a team needs young cost-controlled players to step up and fill gaps. The days where you could sign vet replacements in that situation are long gone.

Even if it makes sense to give up younger players for someone like Vermette for a Cup run, I sincerely doubt it will happen. This team needs to stay competitive in the near term as well as this season.

This is all valid, but don't overdo it.

JT Miller has been playing well for the last 15-20 games. But where has he been playing?

On the 3rd and mostly 4th line.

If Duclair and/or Buchnevich challenge for spots next season (Duclair certainly should), then where is the roster spot for Miller next season?

If Duke takes Zucc's spot (if Zucc is even the odd-man out), then Miller is stuck in the bottom-9, maybe still on the 4th line.

Trading a guy who you don't have an ideal spot for.... for someone who can help you on a deep playoff run isn't cap suicide or any other hyperbolic reaction that's been mentioned in this thread.

I'm telling you, as Rangers fans we're naturally hypersensitive to trading youth for vets because if the failures of The Dark Ages when that's all we did.

It's a different era and we've been building through the draft and consistently injecting youth into the lineup when they're ready. We've also been one of the most consistently successful teams in the East over that span.

It's okay to trade a prospect or two if it can significantly improve your chances of playing through June.

We will survive without JT Miller. We'd even survive without Duclair (let's not forget he was a recent 3rd round pick; not some top-5 1st rounder. It is possible to draft talent outside of the lottery picks, and this upcoming draft especially, is considered one of the deepest in a while).

Disclaimer: I'm not suggesting we trade youth for the sake of doing it. Rather that in the right deal comes along to improve our SC chances, no prospect in our system is holding it up. (Key word: "in the RIGHT deal."

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I've mentioned a lot of the guys we're now discussing, but no one said anything when I did. Boohoo, k, the bong beckons... ok mon, I'm over meself

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Can someone tell me if this team could work cap-wise for next season?

Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Kreider-Stepan-St. Louis
Duclair-Hayes-Buchnevich
Miller-Moore-Fast

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Boyle
Skjei-Klein

Hank
Cam

Re-sign Zucc, MSL, Staal. Let Stempniak and John Moore walk. Trade Hagelin for some picks/prospects at the draft. Do whatever with Glass that keeps him out of the lineup and is best for the cap.

Despite the fact I like Duke, Buch and Skjei, I don't see us going with 3 rookies and 3 sophomore players (Miller, Fast, Hayes) in the line-up. But, with that team, we should have enough cap-space to re-sign Hagelin

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
This is all valid, but don't overdo it.

JT Miller has been playing well for the last 15-20 games. But where has he been playing?

On the 3rd and mostly 4th line.

If Duclair and/or Buchnevich challenge for spots next season (Duclair certainly should), then where is the roster spot for Miller next season?

If Duke takes Zucc's spot (if Zucc is even the odd-man out), then Miller is stuck in the bottom-9, maybe still on the 4th line.

Trading a guy who you don't have an ideal spot for.... for someone who can help you on a deep playoff run isn't cap suicide or any other hyperbolic reaction that's been mentioned in this thread.

I'm telling you, as Rangers fans we're naturally hypersensitive to trading youth for vets because if the failures of The Dark Ages when that's all we did.

It's a different era and we've been building through the draft and consistently injecting youth into the lineup when they're ready. We've also been one of the most consistently successful teams in the East over that span.

It's okay to trade a prospect or two if it can significantly improve your chances of playing through June.

We will survive without JT Miller. We'd even survive without Duclair (let's not forget he was a recent 3rd round pick; not some top-5 1st rounder. It is possible to draft talent outside of the lottery picks, and this upcoming draft especially, is considered one of the deepest in a while).

Disclaimer: I'm not suggesting we trade youth for the sake of doing it. Rather that in the right deal comes along to improve our SC chances, no prospect in our system is holding it up. (Key word: "in the RIGHT deal."

Not necessarily disagreeing, but are you saying Duclair
is not a special prospect because he wasn't a first round pick??? Do the '13 draft over, he's easily top-10. However, I agree that he's not untouchable. He's developing into a Satan rather than a Kane--smallish, fast, world-class talent that he may never fully tap, but almost (just a hunch).

We don't have *traditionally acquired* blue-chip prospects, but I'd call Hayes and Buchnevich first line prospects.

As for Miller, we've seen enough to have a rough idea of his ceiling, and to know that, while improved and finally looking legit, we don't have anything stellar on our hands.

Fact is, as you know, we're likely to lose 2 of Staal, Hagelin and Zuccarello as cap casualties. Fast may be moved, J. Moore probably will. Stempniak is good as gone. Too much of our core is unstable to movde guys we really don't have to move.

Like Khelvan said, young roster guys are more valuable in the age of the youth movement.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
is not a special prospect because he wasn't a first round pick??? Do the '13 draft over, he's easily top-10. However, I agree that he's not untouchable. He's developing into a Satan rather than a Kane--smallish, fast, world-class talent that he may never fully tap, but almost (just a hunch).

We don't have *traditionally acquired* blue-chip prospects, but I'd call Hayes and Buchnevich first line prospects.

As for Miller, we've seen enough to have a rough idea of his ceiling, and to know that, while improved and finally looking legit, we don't have anything stellar on our hands.

Fact is, as you know, we're likely to lose 2 of Staal, Hagelin and Zuccarello as cap casualties. Fast may be moved, J. Moore probably will. Stempniak is good as gone. Too much of our core is unstable to movde guys we really don't have to move.

Like Khelvan said, young roster guys are more valuable in the age of the youth movement.

I could see us keeping Staal, Hagelin and Zucc. All depends on what MSL does.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Hoping that can be minimized to Staal + Zuc of those three.

Not seeing it.
See MSL + Rangers painted each other into a corner as long as he can play.
His salary will be 3.85m or less, minimal bonuses, IMO.
That's top of what we can afford, and even if he would get more elsewhere, that's price he pays to stay here.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

Call me crazy, but unless MSL takes a big paycut (which really isn't all that crazy at this point in his career), I'd rather keep all three of those guys and slot Duclair/Buchnevich into the Marty role (best natural fit for both of those guys too). MSL, despite his overall decent production, has been very underwhelming for me this year. So many of his goals have been on tap-ins or wide open nets created by his linemates.

Of course, if MSL is saving himself for the playoffs, that's a whole different story, but he isn't a big ticket/big paycheck player anymore. It'd be nice if he recognized that and would be willing to sign sweetheart one year deals in an effort to keep trying to win Cups in NYC.

Zuccarello Awesome*

Of course not, my man.

What I meant was that we were able to find a talent such as Duclair in the 3rd round. An that this upcoming draft is supposedly deep. My point was that we can survive and recover in the event that we dealt Duclair in a win-now move.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
are there any legit rumors of stoll being available? or just a case of people looking at the rosters of teams that might miss the playoffs and naming someone they'd like to get?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Despite the fact I like Duke, Buch and Skjei, I don't see us going with 3 rookies and 3 sophomore players (Miller, Fast, Hayes) in the line-up. But, with that team, we should have enough cap-space to re-sign Hagelin

Maybe you are right, but I don't really see the need to re-sign Hagelin with the wingers we have coming through the system. Someone's going to have to be the odd man out, and I think it should be Hagelin given I don't think we can afford to lose MSL and Zucc, and Hagelin's going to cost a lot more than Miller, Fast, Duke and Buch.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Didn't you comprehend the stats on the last thread!??!?

The stats said that faceoffs are over rated. The stats said man.

Faceoffs are still overrated and Joe Micheletti's nonsensical parroting of "ugh they just can't win faceoffs!" doesn't strengthen the point that they're super important.

BarbaraAlphanse

Faceoffs are still overrated and Joe Micheletti's nonsensical parroting of "ugh they just can't win faceoffs!" doesn't strengthen the point that they're super important.

Pretty much your mentality on this:

I say face-offs are overrated. Previous NHL hockey players who have lived this sport, been around this sport and exposed to it (and by it I mean coaches who understand it better than them, players, real life experiences) say that they are incredibly important.

My opinion is better than there's because... I say so.

NYRangerFan*

Pretty much your mentality on this:

I say face-offs are overrated. Previous NHL hockey players who have lived this sport, been around this sport and exposed to it (and by it I mean coaches who understand it better than them, players, real life experiences) say that they are incredibly important.

My opinion is better than there's because... I say so.

Faceoffs are important in hockey no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad