Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building / Proposal Thread Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
The defense has been outstanding, think we need help down the middle (in the dot especially) more

BarbaraAlphanse

RB gave us rumors that Dallas GM was highly interested in Glass.

Glass played inexplicably for two straight games, once in place of Miller, the other in place of Fast. Could that have been an attempt to draw interest from Dallas' GM again, seeing as Glass was immediately scratched after that game?

His 1.45 contract off the cap would immensely give the Rangers cap flexibility for a move or two this deadline, and potentially even be deciding totals for resigning certain players up for contract this offseason.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Its been much better than it was in October, but there are major flaws within the group that need to be addressed. Adding another guy who can move the puck and eat minutes is pretty much a must if they want to do anything this year IMO.

I'll put it to you this way, the biggest difference in the SCF last year was the way the Kings D played vs the way the Rangers D played. The Rangers D has taken a hit since then (they've gotten worse on face offs too) but F/O's are such a small part of the game. Not saying it isn't an area they should look to address, but they should be looking at it second.

Plus, there are few things more terrifying than sending Marc Staal out there every other shift in an important game where you're trailing late. They need to add someone who can drive possession in those situations because in crunch time, they won't be playing ahead in 99% of their games like they have been for the better part of the last month and a half.

BarbaraAlphanse

Its been much better than it was in October, but there are major flaws within the group that need to be addressed. Adding another guy who can move the puck and eat minutes is pretty much a must if they want to do anything this year IMO.

I'll put it to you this way, the biggest difference in the SCF last year was the way the Kings D played vs the way the Rangers D played. The Rangers D has taken a hit since then (they've gotten worse on face offs too) but F/O's are such a small part of the game. Not saying it isn't an area they should look to address, but they should be looking at it second.

Plus, there are few things more terrifying than sending Marc Staal out there every other shift in an important game where you're trailing late. They need to add someone who can drive possession in those situations because in crunch time, they won't be playing ahead in 99% of their games like they have been for the better part of the last month and a half.

Their biggest problem has been (all season) giving up leads. I don't know if another puck mover should be what the doctor orders. I'd prefer another stay at home defenseman... but that's just me.

A better player than Hunwick would be preferable, no matter if the speciality is staying at home and protecting leads or moving the puck and trying to add to leads.

Draws ARE a problem for this team, yes, but that doesn't really seem to be slowing their offense down. Plus AV doesn't seem to want to move Hayes out of that position, and he's really the only difference our line up has this year (Richards vs. Hayes). FWIW, Richards was below avg on face-offs, too, last year.

I don't know. I imagine that Fast is going to be given a fair shake on the 3rd line now. If he rises to the occasion, they could really elect to focus on trading for another defender and finding a better 4th liner than Stempniak/Glass.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
After watching the fight videos from last night I would think the Stars will need somebody to handle Stu Bickel the next game LOL....Glass might look good right now . Was quite an event...:)

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
RB gave us rumors that Dallas GM was highly interested in Glass.

Glass played inexplicably for two straight games, once in place of Miller, the other in place of Fast. Could that have been an attempt to draw interest from Dallas' GM again, seeing as Glass was immediately scratched after that game?

His 1.45 contract off the cap would immensely give the Rangers cap flexibility for a move or two this deadline, and potentially even be deciding totals for resigning certain players up for contract this offseason.

Damn if that is true...

Its absolutely possible that Dallas wants the Vet leadership of glass...

If we can move him that would be immensely helpful for this years run...

Next year will be a massive crunch, but I think if MSL takes massive discounts it'll be doable...

MSL in effect owes us... We spent a ton to get him, I think he takes it easy on us next year...

If MSL takes a 50% discount, that helps us incredibly with the cap

BarbaraAlphanse

Damn if that is true...

Its absolutely possible that Dallas wants the Vet leadership of glass...

If we can move him that would be immensely helpful for this years run...

Next year will be a massive crunch, but I think if MSL takes massive discounts it'll be doable...

MSL in effect owes us... We spent a ton to get him, I think he takes it easy on us next year...

If MSL takes a 50% discount, that helps us incredibly with the cap

I don't know. Perhaps they find a way to keep everyone. The following year, the Rangers will have MUCH more flexibility. Boyle's contract expires.

And by find a way to keep everyone, MSL 1 year bonus laden contract. I'm not a fan for deferring costs. But this may be what they do. 2 mill plus 3 mill in bonuses...? Who knows.

In the last thread, I suggested that if the following contract cap hits were as follows:

Zucc - 4.5 (5 years) - Fair value contract.
Stepan - 5.5 (5 years) - RFA. McD contract, puts him in line for big pay day at age 29.
Hagelin - 2.75 (1 year) - RFA, little leverage.
MSL - 5 mill (3 years)

That the Rangers would have roughly 3.5 mill to spend on a 2nd line LD. The total escalating to about 5 million if Glass' contract was nullified by a trade. *This was considering a 71 mill cap ceiling*

Now if MSL took, say, 2 mill plus 3 mill in bonuses... the Rangers could have roughly 8 mill (along with a Glass trade) to sign Staal, and fit EVERYONE in.

It's not impossible... But MSL would have to be willing to do that. Even a 3.5 base with 1.5 mill in bonuses transferring over next year (along w/ a Glass trade) gives the Rangers enough flexibility to pay Staal 5.75-6 million.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Do the carcillo trade with Dallas for Glass. Basically a 7th or nothing depending if Glass is on the roster at the end of the season

BarbaraAlphanse

Do the carcillo trade with Dallas for Glass. Basically a 7th or nothing depending if Glass is on the roster at the end of the season

Wouldn't be the worst thing to happen. Would be completely fine having Stempniak as our 13th forward moving forward the rest of the year. It has been what i've been pining for for the last month and a half, anyway.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I would give a draft pick to a team in exchange for taking Glass off our hands.

Glass + 3rd for a 7th round pick ;)

BarbaraAlphanse

I would give a draft pick to a team in exchange for taking Glass off our hands.

Glass + 3rd for a 7th round pick ;)

Plenty of teams trade for size at the deadline. Trading Glass won't be a problem. His contract structure also makes it pretty likely that he does get traded. A bunch of the contract is paid off by July 1 of 2015.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Plenty of teams trade for size at the deadline. Trading Glass won't be a problem. His contract structure also makes it pretty likely that he does get traded. A bunch of the contract is paid off by July 1 of 2015.

Yeah exactly. His $450k bonus is paid off on July 1st, and then he becomes a guy that's owed $1M per year with a $1.45M hit. Very tradeable to a floor team.

On MSL

Firstly we don't know if this is even his last year. With that said, he can take a 35+ contract that can carry bonuses over. Jagr would have games played bonuses that hit every 10 games and that can be carried over to following year. No reason to think MSL can't to the same and have $3M+ as a carry over allowing the Rangers to retain all of their key free agents.

I bet that this happens.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Joe Micheletti said the Stars heavily recruited Glass on July 1 during the Rangers-Stars broadcast last Monday night.

AV commented on Duclair today

"We have cap space," Vigneault said. "Jeff [Gorton, the Rangers' assistant general manager] is on his way to Toronto and we're hooking up with Glen [Sather, the Rangers' president and GM] in California and we'll make that decision very shortly.

"There's a lot of components that go into making that decision, and one major component is that if we send him down, we can't call him up, and that team is Memorial Cup-bound because they're hosting, so you're looking at mid-May [before he could return to the Rangers]."

The Rangers have about $1 million in cap space to absorb Duclair's salary as a 14th forward, but it would leave little wiggle room. There also is the question of how much playing time Duclair, who was 1-6-7 in 18 of the Rangers' first 26 games, would receive with the Rangers versus on the top line in Quebec.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/western-trip-poses-big-challenge-for-rangers-1.9773501

Gorton was at the WJC and returned on Friday. AV said on Friday that Gorton had returned from the world junior and no decision has been made. Gorton went back to Toronto today. Sather is in California. He isn't overexerting himself.

The Memorial Cup 2015 runs from May 21 to May 31. Late May.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
this team looks good right now and thats with the moore/hunwick duo and hayes at the 3c.

i don't see any trade of marc staal. he's a pretty key shutdown guy on a team that isn't loaded with that type of player. he's here till we play golf or have a parade.

i like hayes at the 3c but to make the pp better and hold leads late, our face-off % needs to get a lot better. we lose too many draws and against good teams, thats playing with fire.

i still would love to add vermette to this team. av likes hayes at center and so do i, but vermette makes us so much more dangerous in the playoffs.

this next 3 weeks will be interesting.

BarbaraAlphanse

this team looks good right now and thats with the moore/hunwick duo and hayes at the 3c.

i don't see any trade of marc staal. he's a pretty key shutdown guy on a team that isn't loaded with that type of player. he's here till we play golf or have a parade.

i like hayes at the 3c but to make the pp better and hold leads late, our face-off % needs to get a lot better. we lose too many draws and against good teams, thats playing with fire.

i still would love to add vermette to this team. av likes hayes at center and so do i, but vermette makes us so much more dangerous in the playoffs.

this next 3 weeks will be interesting.

AV would probably do what he does now when we have leads... use Moore more often. It is working. It is what I suggested the Rangers should do with Miller when I projected him to be a top 3c.

Vermette would be a great add. But AV probably envisions being here a while and wants to be able to rely on Hayes for many years to come. Allowing him to continue to center the line out will make him that much more comfortable in post seasons (hopefully) to come.

Meanwhile, there are clear clear flaws w/ both Moore and Hunwick. Moore just doesn't have much hockey sense. Like negative hockey sense. Hunwick is undersized and is bullied around in physical situations.

If there is one thing that Hunwick has proven, it is that he has been the perfect 7th defenseman. He's filled in admirably, and the writing is on the wall for Moore. Just as it was for Del Zotto last year.

Moore and someone like Kristo for a Klein-esque defender package (2nd pairing guy bumped down to 3rd pairing minutes on a team with a friendly cap hit) would be incredible.

NYRangerFan*

So lets say we reach the cup and lose again. What happens to guys like St Louis, Staal, Boyle etc. Do they remain here for another run or what? I would love to go all out and add Vermette and a guy like Sekera but the cap won't allow it

BarbaraAlphanse

So lets say we reach the cup and lose again. What happens to guys like St Louis, Staal, Boyle etc. Do they remain here for another run or what? I would love to go all out and add Vermette and a guy like Sekera but the cap won't allow it

Y u force such nightmares upon us?

BarbaraAlphanse

I'm sorry but its a possibility that the front office should be ready for if it happens.

These are things you deal with if/when you get to them. Can't have a contingency for everything. A playoff loss in any round should be looked at in the same manner.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
if they could move moore and another piece for a guy who could stabilize the LD and allow boyle to play sheltered 5on5 mins, we would be in good shape.

our top 4 d minus boyle is pretty solid.

i disagree with av when he says not much difference between the top 5 and then moore and hunwick. i think boyle 5on5 is at best average and with his legs, the more he plays the worse he looks approaching 20 mins per night. he's closer to the bottom two than he is the top 4. other than the pp, he's weak.

as for moore vs hunwick. hunwick is the more mistake free player. he makes solid reads and skates well. he's reliable and usually makes the safe play. he's best suited as the 7th man on a good team.

moore is bigger, faster, stronger, more physical and has the better shot. we just don't see enough of those things and too much indecision and bad decisions. i still say the suspension hurt him.

its frustrating because his best game of the entire season resulted in 3 straight healthy scratches.

im all for moving john moore if we can add a true defensive 6th man to play with boyle 5on5.

BarbaraAlphanse

if they could move moore and another piece for a guy who could stabilize the LD and allow boyle to play sheltered 5on5 mins, we would be in good shape.

our top 4 d minus boyle is pretty solid.

i disagree with av when he says not much difference between the top 5 and then moore and hunwick. i think boyle 5on5 is at best average and with his legs, the more he plays the worse he looks approaching 20 mins per night. he's closer to the bottom two than he is the top 4. other than the pp, he's weak.

as for moore vs hunwick. hunwick is the more mistake free player. he makes solid reads and skates well. he's reliable and usually makes the safe play. he's best suited as the 7th man on a good team.

moore is bigger, faster, stronger, more physical and has the better shot. we just don't see enough of those things and too much indecision and bad decisions. i still say the suspension hurt him.

its frustrating because his best game of the entire season resulted in 3 straight healthy scratches.

im all for moving john moore if we can add a true defensive 6th man to play with boyle 5on5.

AV likes smart hockey players. He seems much more inclined to give less skilled but smarter and more determined hockey players minutes than ones w/ more skills but less hockey sense.

Take Del Zotto for example, last year. Young first round pick, several years experience, rental, traded for Klein.

Moore never put up the offensive output Del Zotto did in his first year, so his value won't be as high in a trade, but that's why you compensate w/ another high end prospect. Kristo is also in serious need of a new team. You trade them for another guy in need of a new team - a guy who's established and less prone to mistakes, has obvious strengths, but is invisible enough that the team has downgraded him in place of more aspiring youngsters. That was Nashville's predicament last year. Find and exploit another scenario like that, if there is one. Or even perhaps find a valuable 3rd liner, downgraded to the 4th line, to put on our own. We're missing bottom 6 forward and 1 bottom 2 defender. Those are our holes heading into the deadline. We've come a long way since a few years ago.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Moore never put up the offensive output Del Zotto did in his first year, so his value won't be as high in a trade, but that's why you compensate w/ another high end prospect. Kristo is also in serious need of a new team. You trade them for another guy in need of a new team - a guy who's established and less prone to mistakes, has obvious strengths, but is invisible enough that the team has downgraded him in place of more aspiring youngsters. That was Nashville's predicament last year. Find and exploit another scenario like that, if there is one. Or even perhaps find a valuable 3rd liner, downgraded to the 4th line, to put on our own. We're missing bottom 6 forward and 1 bottom 2 defender. Those are our holes heading into the deadline. We've come a long way since a few years ago.

Spot on. I'm looking at the Rangers trade chips, and it's not much but it's enough to address those holes with JMoore being the primary chip off the roster with Stempniak who garnered a 3rd rounder at the deadline last year.

NHL Chips
JMoore
Stempniak

2015 Picks
NYR/TB 2nd.
3rd-7th Round pics

AHL Prospects
Lindberg (he'll be a cheap 4th liner next year w. the Rangers or not)
Hrivik (Been one of HFD's best centers since being moved there)
Allen (Played well last year, and was sought after as a UDFA)

Then there are college and junior age prospects, which outside of Skjei and Buch and Duke, I can't imagine any other having trade value.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Note: We've had a site rules update, and since it's primarily focused on this thread, everyone using this thread should go have a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad