2014-2015 Coyotes/NHL Prediction Thread

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I know were not close to the season starting yet but it seems for many of us here that we have made our predictions for the Coyotes based on the other threads regarding offseason moves. Might as well start something here and reflect back on it once the season ends.

Here is my prediction

We don't win the cup let alone make the playoffs.
We will either fall short of the playoffs once again or we will be in the race for a Top 5 pick or better. I believe that my projected finish will be determine by if the team has stopped listening to Tippett or not.

I rather personally get into the playoffs and win a cup while our new Asst GM in the process manages to find a way to get Maloney to steal a top 5 pick via a trade during the regular season.

1 can dream right?

Make any of your predictions here.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think the Coyotes will squeak into the playoffs after Maloney makes a deadline deal. First round exit.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
1. Coyotes miss the playoffs, receive 9th overall pick in next year's draft.

2. No one on the Coyotes eclipses 20 goals this season.

3. Yandle leads the team in scoring once again.

4. Dave Moss plays more minutes on average than Max Domi.

5. The powerplay and penalty kill is in the bottom third of the league.

6. Martin Hanzal plays in 65 games or less.

7. Tyson Nash manages to say "Are you kidding me?" at least once every telecast.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
My prediction contains a couple ifs:
(Odds: 50%)
1. If Hanzal misses 15+ games and Smith gets injured for any significant time and Domi avg's less than 12 min TOI
a. We finish bottom 5 (easily one of the worst offenses in the league)
b. We still finish top 5 in PP (we still have OEL/Yandle)
c. We still finish bottom 5 in PK (Moss/Korpi handling most of the duties)
d. No one scores 20 goals
e. We finish dead last in 'GF' 5-on-5

(Odds: 40%)
2. If Hanzal misses 15+ games and Domi avg's less than 12 min TOI
a. We still finish top 5 in PP (see above)
b. We still finish bottom 5 in PK (see above)
c. No one scores 20 goals, we finish dead last in 'GF'
d. We finish 7th worse, could have finished 5th, but Moss & Dubnyk ruin it with a shutout in game 82.

(Odds: 10%)
3. If Hanzal plays 75+ games and Domi avg's 14+ min TOI
a. We make the playoffs, but get throttled in 1st Round, get shutout 2 of the 4 games (yes, swept 0-4)
b. Boedker/Doan score 20 goals
c. Smith puts up top-10 goalie stats

cobra427

May 6, 2012
1. Coyotes miss the playoffs, receive 9th overall pick in next year's draft.

2. No one on the Coyotes eclipses 20 goals this season.

3. Yandle leads the team in scoring once again.

4. Dave Moss plays more minutes on average than Max Domi.

5. The powerplay and penalty kill is in the bottom third of the league.

6. Martin Hanzal plays in 65 games or less.

7. Tyson Nash manages to say "Are you kidding me?" at least once every telecast.

I will take the other side of 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6. I won't bet against Yandle, as he is a stud and won't bet against Tyson speak.

My prediction is: If Smith is a top 5 goalie, we make the playoffs for sure. If Smith is a top 10 goalie, we barley make the playoffs. If Smith is not top 10, we have no chance. I would call it just below even money that we make it in because of: Smith playing well, Tip doing more with less, and DM making a key acquisition.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
1. Coyotes miss the playoffs with 86 points.

2. Samuelsson winds up being our best rookie (maybe not numbers-wise, but play-wise). He does well in the 2nd half of the season, after an early-to-mid season call-up

3. PP will be middle of the pack - maybe around 18%. PK will be in the lower third, but better than last year, right around 79-80%

4. Boedker will be our leading scorer next year, with Yandle in 2nd, and Vermette in 3rd.

5. Smith re-gains his 2012 form, but b/c we are a slightly less efficient team, his record won't show how well he has played.

6. If we are in the midsts of a very poor season, one of Hanzal, Yandle, or Z will be traded at the deadline.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Given the brutal lack of goal scoring forwards here are my predictions:

-Coyotes miss the playoffs and finish 11th in the West ahead of Edmonton, Calgary, and Winnipeg. We pick 9th or 10th in the draft.
-Coyotes average less than 2 goals a game through out the season.
-Smith gets injured again.
-Domi doesn't get much playing time.
-Devan Dubnyk does slightly better than expect by HF Coyotes fans but still falls short of Greiss.
-Attendance averages slightly higher at 14,250 driven by more weekend games. October and November will still suffer from low attendance.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
- Domi will not be handled properly

- Crombeen and Moss will get too much icetime

- Murphy will look the best in camp yet won't be on the roster due to the contract situation. David Schlemko keeps his job because Tippett.

- Boedker will continue to progress, but still won't shoot the gd puck.

- Korpikoski drops weight and reverts to 20-20 form.

- Erat helps make up for Vrbata's production while playing a much better defensive game. Haters are silenced. Inexplicably demands a trade back to Washington.

- Hanzal and Michalek go down with injury.

- A coach not named Brown will be fired by the draft.

- Doan and Yandle are no longer Coyotes by the end of the draft.

- Portland, being a wholly stacked team, becomes more watchable than the parent team.

- More Tim Hortons.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
- Vitale becomes the faster, meaner, 2nd coming of Boyd Gordon.

- Erat will revert to being a 0.5 PPG two-way forward.

- Schlemko gets the nod over both Summers and Gormley, but yet another injury forces Tippett's hand, and both make the most of their minutes. Maloney finally offloads him at TDL for any peanuts.

- After a slow start, Domi lights it up and mounts a late-season charge for the Calder.

- Yandle leads the team for a 3rd straight season in scoring, improves his defense significantly and finishes top 5 in Norris voting.

- We miss the playoffs barely for the 3rd straight season, but Uncle Gary belatedly comes through for us and we win the McDavid sweepstakes (oh pretty please)

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Oct 21, Nashville TN. Hanzal checks Ribeiro through the boards. As Ribeiro's body gains momentum he begins to accelerate enough to take flight. His uncontrollable flying body begins to curve upwards, breaking through the foundation of the Bridgestone Arena. As he continues skyrocketing he eventually breaks through the earth's gravitational pull and is lost in space. Shocking no one, he is reunited with his wife as they begin to orbit Uranus.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Oct 21, Nashville TN. Hanzal checks Ribeiro through the boards. As Ribeiro's body gains momentum he begins to accelerate enough to take flight. His uncontrollable flying body begins to curve upwards, breaking through the foundation of the Bridgestone Arena. As he continues skyrocketing he eventually breaks through the earth's gravitational pull and is lost in space. Shocking no one, he is reunited with his wife as they begin to orbit Uranus.

10/10

My hat is off.

rt

May 13, 2004
TOP 10 Scorers:

1. Yandle: 11g 43a 54p
2. OEL: 14g 37a 51p
3. Doan: 24g 26a 50p
4. Boedker: 19g 29a 48p
5. Hanzal: 19g 28a 47p
6. Gagner: 16g 31a 47p
7. Vermette: 19g 24a 43p
8. Erat: 17g 22a 39p
9. Korpikoski 17g 19a 36p
10. Domi 14g 21a 35p

rt

May 13, 2004
Hell, that's 2 goals for per game right there :laugh:

It's 175 goals. Our top ten scorers last season had a combined 152.

So, yeah, it's probably a moon shot. Let's drop one goal and two assists from each guy.

1. Yandle: 10g 41a 51p
2. OEL: 13g 35a 48p
3. Doan: 23g 24a 47p
4. Boedker: 18g 27a 45p
5. Hanzal: 18g 26a 44p
6. Gagner: 15g 29a 44p
7. Vermette: 18g 22a 40p
8. Erat: 16g 20a 36p
9. Korpikoski 16g 17a 33p
10. Domi 13g 19a 32p

...gets us down to 165g, which is a little more realistic.

We had 210 total last season. Which was good for 20th in the NHL in that category.

Last edited:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
ck's Slightly Less Pessimistic 2015 Predictions

1. Yandle leads the team in scoring again
2. Boedker gets 25 goals
3. Sam Gagner more than replaces Ribeiro, and somebody follows through on Obi Won Maloney screen name change
4. Doan fights once, Domi once and Crombeen six times
5. Devan Dubnyk is really good and gets a multi-year deal from not us after this season.
6. We make the playoffs but get bounced in the first round
7. The Coyotes Facebook page will continue to not be entertaining
8. By November, we all grudgingly accept that Dave Moss isn’t the worst human being in Arizona
9. Tricia shows up the arena in referee’s outfit twice
10. Sarah McLellan continues to turn down my romantic advances; seriously, what is twitter for if not hitting on local pseudo-celebrities?
11. The in-game music in the arena remains at "9" when we really just need it at, like, a "5"
12. I make the NJD/NYI/NYR/BOS road trip, have beer spilled on me three times and am challenged to one fight
13. We draft another pro hockey son in the first round of 2015 ... McDavid's dad played pro hockey, right? :biglaugh:

ArizonaCoyotes19

May 28, 2008
Winnipeg
hockeylists.com
Every year before the season starts I always predict that they will make the playoffs, I just can't help myself. This year however is the first time that I seriously doubt there chances. Too many things have to go right for this team to make the playoffs. I don't see them finishing just outside the playoffs but I also don't seem them finishing at the bottom. I just hope I'm proved wrong.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
We make a deadline deal with Edmonton/Calgary/some other crappy team in an attempt to move up at the draft that involves first round picks.

The team we trade with goes on a 15-game winning streak to end the season and we get the #12 overall pick from it.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
The team struggles, but the team itself improves their finances, but nobody will believe that they did and relocation talk sparks up again in the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad