Speculation: 2014-2015: Cap Goes Up... Who Do You Target?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
This x100000, the Kulemin apologists will make me crazy one day.

he's not a super player. But he's the type of player we need at a contract we can afford. I remember back during all of the Finding Crosby's Neal talk a year or two ago I said we might want to find Malkin's Kunitz instead. Kulemin is exactly that. He's not Bobby Ryan. But he is exactly the kind of player Malkin and Neal need. He isn't a part of the best possible top 6 we can make. But I think he could be one of the more efficient uses of cap dollars for getting Malkin and Neal clicking while still affording a good bottom 6. And that really is the key; getting Malkin and Crosby both clicking at the same time.

Oh and another, more realistic reason to want Kulemin over a guy like Kessel? We might actually be able to get Kulemin.

Last edited:

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Obviously Lundqvist is the biggest and most attractive name on the market at that point. I'd be wary of giving him a long deal though...7+ mil for 7 years could handcuff the Pens big-time if he were to fall off on the back end of the deal, especially since he'd be rapidly nearing 40 by the end of it.

It'd be great to see the Pens with an absolute stud in goal, but if last season is any indication, I think they could get by just fine with pretty much any cheaper goalie who's better than Fleury (Hiller, Halak, etc).

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It'd be great to see the Pens with an absolute stud in goal, but if last season is any indication, I think they could get by just fine with pretty much any cheaper goalie who's better than Fleury (Hiller, Halak, etc).

I keep seeing people say this. But how does last year show us that? Vokoun didn't just play ok or fine, he was outstanding. He was easily our playoff MVP. I'd be happy with those kinds of guys too compared to Fleury, but last year didn't show us that. Last year showed us what we look like with garbage goaltending and tremendous goaltending.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I keep seeing people say this. But how does last year show us that? Vokoun didn't just play ok or fine, he was outstanding. He was easily our playoff MVP. I'd be happy with those kinds of guys too compared to Fleury, but last year didn't show us that. Last year showed us what we look like with garbage goaltending and tremendous goaltending.

True, but what it did show is that you don't have to draft a goaltender in the first or second round, don't have to pay $5 million/year and don't have to go crazy spending what precious cap space you have left for a franchise netminder ($7 million+ for Lundqvist) to still receive the quality goaltending needed to go deep.

What was also clearly seen in the Eastern Conference final is that we'll continue to be extremely vulnerable when Crosby is neutralized, which will continue to happen without providing him with more help on his line.

And yet, people want to spend big money on Lundqvist. Which would continue our laughable "building from the goalie out" approach in the Crosby/Malkin era. :shakehead

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
he's not a super player. But he's the type of player we need at a contract we can afford. I remember back during all of the Finding Crosby's Neal talk a year or two ago I said we might want to find Malkin's Kunitz instead. Kulemin is exactly that. He's not Bobby Ryan. But he is exactly the kind of player Malkin and Neal need. He isn't a part of the best possible top 6 we can make. But I think he could be one of the more efficient uses of cap dollars for getting Malkin and Neal clicking while still affording a good bottom 6. And that really is the key; getting Malkin and Crosby both clicking at the same time.

Oh and another, more realistic reason to want Kulemin over a guy like Kessel? We might actually be able to get Kulemin.

But pointz, bro. His pointz.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
But pointz, bro. His pointz.

The Boston series. Two goals. Five points. Four games. That's for the entire team. Meanwhile, Phil Kessel alone registered four goals and six points against the Bruins in Round 1.

So yeah, it is about pointz.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The Boston series. Two goals. Five points. Four games. That's for the entire team. Meanwhile, Phil Kessel alone registered four goals and six points against the Bruins in Round 1.

We would like Kessel. But its not very realistic. Kulemin is a much more reasonable acquisition that still helps us out quite a bit. If Kessel does make it to free agency we're looking at another 7M contract at least. And likely a Parise bidding situation where if we don't land him, everyone else is already gone. Oh, and he has to leave Toronto first.

I'd love Kessel. Obviously, I'd take him over Kulemin. But Kulemin is actually a realistic target. How can we afford a 4th guy making over 7M?

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Well, you can hope we sign or trade for Kessel. Ill be more than satisfied with a Kunitz light player for Geno, who at the very least can form an elite checking line with Sutter.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com

Vokoun played very well, yes. But he is no Lundqvist, even at his best. The Pens don't need a Lundqvist to succeed - they need someone who will let in less than 3 goals a game in the playoffs.

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
I like how we're all clamoring about our awful forward depth this year. And now the first thing people want to do next year when we have some cap space is to blow our wad on Kessel or Pominville. Those guys are going to get tons of money because everyone is going to have cap space. We're talking about the cap rising $6 or $8 million, right? Every free agent is seriously going to get paid next offseason.

Oh wait, pardon me. I didn't realize Kessel isn't going to be a free agent. No, we're trading for him. And apparently giving up nothing from our roster. Oh yeah folks, that's what's going to happen.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
Buyout Fleury and acquire Lundqvist

If we could get Lundqvist, I'd buyout Fleury in a heartbeat... but it ain't happening.

What is more likely to happen is that Fleury gets an extension on his contract.

A) He hold most franchise goaltending records
B) He wins buttloads of games for them every year and stabilizes the position
C) Can backstop a team to the Stanley Cup (see 2009)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If we could get Lundqvist, I'd buyout Fleury in a heartbeat... but it ain't happening.

There are very few teams in the league with less stable goaltending than us despite having the same starter for so long. Fleury is just a mess.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004

He's also mentally shot and can't seem to stop a beachball once the post-season hits. Not only does he have trouble stopping shots, he has a knack for putting pucks in his own cage.

That's just reality. If you're a professional sports team that wants to win important games in the post-season, you don't put a mentally shot goaltender between the pipes who has made the record books for logging two of the most statistically pathetic outings in post-season history.

The only thing Fleury is good at in the post-season? Making constant gaffes, putting pucks in his own net, and allowing softies at the most soul-crushing moments.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
can't see the Wild letting him hit free agency after they gave up that package of Johan Larsson and Matt Hackett plus a first-round draft pick in 2013 and a second-round draft pick in 2014.

I concur. Forget about Pominville. He'd have to stink it up bad to leave MN.

I really do see us signing Kulemin. I just can't imagine a guy who's scored 30 goals in the past

His flash in the pan season is irrelevant. He's a decent player but nobody is going to target that guy because they consider him a "30 goal scorer". Also the number of times he is mentioned on this board ensures he will never be acquired. ;)

Phil Kessel would be awesome.

The added hate people would have for us would be delicious. Can you imagine the vitriol directed at a Crosby-Kessel line?? :laugh: Awesome. Then just sign LaPierre to be the LW and you have a line everyone loves to hate equally (but is totally bad-ass).

We aren't getting Lundqvist. I'll be here to drink your tears when Shero signs Fleury until he's 38 (which seems to be SOP for this team :P )

:laugh:

That probably IS more likely than signing Lundqvist.

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
His flash in the pan season is irrelevant. He's a decent player but nobody is going to target that guy because they consider him a "30 goal scorer".
You misunderstand me. His flash in the pan season may be irrelevant to most NHL general managers. But in Kulemin's mind, he's a 30 goal scorer who's not getting the offensive opportunities he feels he deserves. It's speculation, obviously, but if I were him, I'd be chomping at the bit to move to a team that will give me more opportunities to score.

Also the number of times he is mentioned on this board ensures he will never be acquired. ;)
Ok, so Jan Hrdina appears to be retired, so I'll concede that we're probably not going to be trading him for Dainius Zubrus any time soon. But Winnipeg could totally use some more defensive depth... or something. Niskanen for Setoguchi could still happen!

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010

Personally I think Vokoun was just very solid. He isn't athletic enough to make any show stopping saves, but other than his iffy rebound control, he's just very sound fundamentally.

He was good against Boston, but I don't remember a single instance where I was wowed by his performance. The man just did his job, and he did it well.

I think we've become so accustomed to Fleury losing his mind in the playoffs and allowing back breakers from behind the icing line (among others), that any goalie who just comes in and just does his job well looks like Patrick Roy.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Vokoun is approaching some of the issues that you would have with Jagr. He is great if well rested, but my fear is that if you count on him as a number one guy, he is getting long of tooth and that will catch up with him. You need someone who will take 2/3 of the games regular season.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009

What does kessel provide that Sid, geno and Neal can't ?

We need playoff type performers to give these guys room And players that arent afraid to go into front of the net or high traffic areas

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Kessel was great against Boston in the playoffs. Actually, Kessel has always played well in the playoffs.

He'd be a great addition to the team, and would really help our top six. I don't really see how anyone could argue otherwise.

Regardless, we're never getting Kessel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad