Speculation: 2014-2015: Cap Goes Up... Who Do You Target?

Gwydyr

Allons-y Alonso
Jul 12, 2013
Pominville. He'd be my #1 target.

If we were to acquire Pominville, I'd hope to see Kunitz or Dupuis traded. There's simply not enough cap space for Pominville, Neal, Kunitz, and Dupuis. I can't imagine Shero would ever go for that though. Dupuis and Kunitz will be Penguins until they need walkers :cry:

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
I really do see us signing Kulemin. I just can't imagine a guy who's scored 30 goals in the past is content to spend his career as a third liner playing some of the toughest minutes in the league. Unless his role in Toronto this year changes dramatically, I'd be shocked to see him re-sign in Toronto. And once he hits free agency, Pittsburgh would probably be a pretty ideal destination.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
There are a lot of big name wingers set to be free agents for 2014. How many actually make it to free agency is the question. (My bet is not many)

Gaborik, Vanek, Marleau, Kessel, Pominville, Callahan, Michalek etc.

I think a lot of those price tags will be way too high for us and the ones that won't be (Pominville, Cally) will definitely be re-signed by their teams.

We have to focus on the next tier, even at that some of these guys might be re-signed before July 1st. Some are legit top six wingers, some are tweeners, and some are really good third liners, but most likely none of them will make more than 4.75M and we can probably afford two from this list:

Steen
Ott
Greening
Vrbata
Setoguchi
Kulemin
Cogliano
Moss
Jones

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.875m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Top 6 Winger ($4.500m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.625m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.000m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Riley Holzapfel ($0.578m) / Joe Vitale ($0.750m) / Craig Adams ($0.700m)
13th Forward ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($7.250m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.375m)
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Simon Despres ($0.840m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.578m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
Scott Harrington ($0.897m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.000m)
Eric Hartzell ($1.000m)

------

SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,933,333; BONUSES: $307,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $374,167

Fire Shero*

I really do see us signing Kulemin. I just can't imagine a guy who's scored 30 goals in the past is content to spend his career as a third liner playing some of the toughest minutes in the league. Unless his role in Toronto this year changes dramatically, I'd be shocked to see him re-sign in Toronto. And once he hits free agency, Pittsburgh would probably be a pretty ideal destination.

Out of all of the players overrated by our fanbase, Kulemin takes the cake. In his 5 seasons in the nhl, he has scored more than 16 goals once. He plays on the third line because he produces like a bottom 6 player. He is set to make $3 million this season. The pens are already playing 3rd line talent Dupuis way too much, we don't need another fringe top 6 player making $3 million. It's cute that he's from the same town as Malkin and played with him in the KHL. But unless he takes a discount, we can't afford to pay another idiot over $3 mil.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Out of all of the players overrated by our fanbase, Kulemin takes the cake. In his 5 seasons in the nhl, he has scored more than 16 goals once. He plays on the third line because he produces like a bottom 6 player. He is set to make $3 million this season. The pens are already playing 3rd line talent Dupuis way too much, we don't need another fringe top 6 player making $3 million. It's cute that he's from the same town as Malkin and played with him in the KHL. But unless he takes a discount, we can't afford to pay another idiot over $3 mil.

Kulemin isn't better than Dupuis, but he's the kind of guy we need. I would love someone better, but I don't know how possible it is. If we're gonna have tweeners, I would like them to be the right type of tweener. Kunitz, Neal, Dupuis, Kulemin, Bennett and one other guy could give us an amazing top 9.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Kulemin is a less productive but better defensive version of Kunitz. Guy was tailor made for this team.

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
Greening would be awesome. Let's bring in some physical guys. I don't think we should get Lundqvist. Hiller would be my target.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
To those that replied to me

I do think its doable. But I highly doubt that happens with this team. As I said, I would be surprised if 2 of them are seeing significant minutes.

LA isnt a good example cause they actually have a good goalie that covers up for mistakes young defenseman make. Remember we have MAF. Who somehow creates goals on good plays our defenseman make

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
The Kings did. Doughty, Voynov, Muzzin, Martinez, and Ellerby.

I think having 3 big minute munchers like Letang, Martin, and Scuderi would ease the transition too.

you're underestimating or totally ignoring the Dan Bylsma here. he won't go with three yougsters. they will sign a patch like Eaton and play him instead.

edit: the chance of getting Lundqvist is 0,1%. and even less at 7M$ per...

Gwydyr

Allons-y Alonso
Jul 12, 2013
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.875m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Top 6 Winger ($4.500m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.625m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.000m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Riley Holzapfel ($0.578m) / Joe Vitale ($0.750m) / Craig Adams ($0.700m)
13th Forward ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($7.250m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.375m)
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Simon Despres ($0.840m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.578m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
Scott Harrington ($0.897m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.000m)
Eric Hartzell ($1.000m)

------

SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,933,333; BONUSES: $307,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $374,167

I get that Holzapfel is a placeholder, but he just signed in the SHL.

Also, Despres is due for a raise.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Phil Kessel would be awesome. Maybe if Disco somehow manages to hold onto his job, he and Phil the Thrill will hit it off at the Olympics.

OR, we clean house and hire Brian Burke as our next GM. Then Kessel would be a done deal.

:)

MichiganWolverines

Big Mac Attack
Jul 3, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Phil Kessel would be awesome. Maybe if Disco somehow manages to hold onto his job, he and Phil the Thrill will hit it off at the Olympics.

OR, we clean house and hire Brian Burke as our next GM. Then Kessel would be a done deal.

:)

We do not need Phil Kessel. And, I doubt that Pittsburgh has the pieces to land him. Our top-six is fine. However, we need players that will provide scoring and grit on the third line.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
We do not need Phil Kessel. And, I doubt that Pittsburgh has the pieces to land him. Our top-six is fine. However, we need players that will provide scoring and grit on the third line.

By the end of 2013-14, it will become painfully obvious to EVERYBODY that Sidney Crosby needs more help. His wingers aren't getting younger, and now they're comfortable with retirement contracts.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
you're underestimating or totally ignoring the Dan Bylsma here. he won't go with three yougsters. they will sign a patch like Eaton and play him instead.

edit: the chance of getting Lundqvist is 0,1%. and even less at 7M$ per...

I'm leaving DB out of the equation here. Just saying it has been done and could be done.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

This x100000, the Kulemin apologists will make me crazy one day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad