GDT: 2014-15 Trade Deadline Thread Part 2

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Wasn't the biggest value simply removing them to try and ensure 30th?

Absolutely, positively convinced it is!

We'll I'm pretty sure Tim is honing in on Matt O'Connor, at least I hope he is considering our current goalie situation.

I hope he isn't. Want him back for his senior year, our backup is a freshman who hasn't been great so far. He'll have to improve quite a bit if O'Connor leaves.

I'd feel more confident of the Sabres' future in goal if Murray started the process by adding O'Connor, even if he may not be 100% ready yet for pros.

Out:
Tyler Myers, Drew Stafford, Chris Stewart, Michael Neuvirth, Torrey Mitchell, Joel Armia, Brendan Lemieux, and 2015#1 (STL or NYI)

In:
Evander Kane, Zach Bogosian, Chad Awful Johnson, #2 (2017), #3 (2016), #5(2015), TBD Pick, TBD Prospect, RPI/ECHL Goalie, Lottery pick to draft McEichel

I fixed it for you ;)

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Longterm? You realize Stewart and Mitchell weren't going to be here "long term" right? Neuvirth could always be brought back. Or Enroth. Or any other UFA goalie. Flynn is the only "long term" loss in any way shape or form. These trades actually hurt the team "for the immediate future" but help long term.

:laugh:
You know what's funny, the delusion on how the Sabres are going to be so much better next year. You know what's a joke. Murray actually pushing for the playoffs next year openly talking about it after the Kane deal. You know what's silly, acting like these players weren't good stop gaps for the short term future (next year) rather than looking at them long term. Sure I get asset management but when your getting 7th round picks back it doesn't matter if they walk to me but trying to sign them for 2 years or a year as stop gaps is important in properly rebuilding instead of going Edmonton and playing all kids.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
You know what's funny, the delusion on how the Sabres are going to be so much better next year. You know what's a joke. Murray actually pushing for the playoffs next year openly talking about it after the Kane deal. You know what's silly, acting like these players weren't good stop gaps for the short term future (next year) rather than looking at them long term. Sure I get asset management but when your getting 7th round picks back it doesn't matter if they walk to me but trying to sign them for 2 years or a year as stop gaps is important in properly rebuilding instead of going Edmonton and playing all kids.

Implying that we don't have other veterans, and can't sign new ones next year. Or even the same ones.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
So many people want McEichel but they don't want to put in the miserable time to get them. How about if Buffalo lands a top 2 pick you guys find a new team? No? Didn't think so.

ZeroPT*

So many people want McEichel but they don't want to put in the miserable time to get them. How about if Buffalo lands a top 2 pick you guys find a new team? No? Didn't think so.

PLEASE. Some of the comments in here... smh

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
So, if TM deferred or was at least influenced by Nolan's take on players, I'd have thought that some of the guys (at least Hodgson) who Nolan has issues with would be tossed out at the first chance. And despite having signed Ennis himself, TM seems to be going for a heavier/bigger team, so I could have seen him make use of Ennis in a trade (for sure better return than Stewart got him).

What has possibly given the impression of Murray being concerned about the type of player's Nolan wants?

I don't think Murray was looking at doing more than sell off UFA/spare parts until he knows who he's getting in the draft, then I wouldn't be shocked at more moves depending.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Well that was a wasted day. The only plus is we weakened the team. The returns are lotto tickets at best.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
This is going to be a long and stressful month :laugh: When is the lottery? Is there a set date.....it was April 15th last year if I am correct.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Our 2 games against the Coyotes will be the biggest games of the year....at least as it sits now.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Well that was a wasted day. The only plus is we weakened the team. The returns are lotto tickets at best.
What did you expect? It's not like we had much valuable to sell in the way of pending UFAs. Also, a 2nd for Stewart isn't too bad, if you ask me. Nor is a 3rd for Neuvirth, which is essentially what we gave up to get him in the first place.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
He got assets back for UFA's, while at the same time, not affecting the tank in a negative way. In fact, he probably increased our ability to tank with the Johnson trade return.

Add in he received a 2nd round pick for next year's draft/trade deadline to help improve the team, and I'd say I'm okay with today.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
If Lindback struggles...we can put in Johnson lol If Lindback and Johnson get the job done lol I am not really worried what happens with Hackett.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
If Lindback struggles, we keep him in net for every. single. game.
nolanx-large.jpg

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

Probably should've took that.

Disagree. This deadline was just as much about Murray finding a playoff home for Stewart, Mitchell, and Flynn, each of whom had worked hard this season as "Ted's guys", and especially for Flynn with another year remaining on his deal. Boston is not a lock to make the playoffs, Montreal is.

I argued previously the merits of sending Neuvirth to a playoff contender to get him some fresher experience there. It's been 5 seasons since he's seen the playoffs.

A good deadline. More value might have been extracted, but in this case that's like checking the couch cushions a 3rd time for loose change after you've helped Habitat or Goodwill or whomever load it on their donation truck.

Anyone think Jack Nevins (besides being a contract number swap) is viewed as a possible Cody replacement next year, given both Cody's age and his blood clot issue? Or is this guy only gonna smell NHL ice during training camp and if he's a guest in the Sabres 200-level box after that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad