GDT: 2014-15 Trade Deadline Thread Part 2

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Wow ouch. Damn. Damn.

You've got to know the value of who you're trading. You've got to take that, especially in the 2015 draft. That helps you move up into the low teens and get a real player.

Who says it was in the 2015 draft? The Bruins traded two 2nd's the night before. I believe they had their own 2nd in 2015 and 2016 plus the Islanders' 2016 2nd (Boychuk... since we have the Isles' 2015 2nd). Not sure what other 2nds they might have had nor which two they traded for Connolly, but I doubt we were talking about two 2015 2nd's.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Wow ouch. Damn. Damn.

You've got to know the value of who you're trading. You've got to take that, especially in the 2015 draft. That helps you move up into the low teens and get a real player.

Yeah 2nd > 3rd,5th,Johnson,Nevins

Oh well, nature of the beast. It's not a huge blow but this was definitely the better deal.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
You're acting like we already don't have the ammo to move up in this deep draft. The problem will come from finding a willing partner ...not lacking the ammo.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
It appears Boston sent their own 2015 and 2016 2nd rounders to Tampa for Connolly. So that would mean NYI 2016 2nd and...? Did they have someone else's 2nd? Otherwise it'd have been their own 2017 2nd rounder. I'd rather have two 2nd's than a 2nd, a 3rd, a 5th and Johnson but it's not like the value's all that different. Boston's 2015 2nd would have been a bit of a difference maker in comparing the two deals but that couldn't have been in the bargain. It's reasonable to have preferred Murray took that deal, but I don't think we're talking about a situation where either choice could be seen as a mistake.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
It appears Boston sent their own 2015 and 2016 2nd rounders to Tampa for Connolly. So that would mean NYI 2016 2nd and...? Did they have someone else's 2nd? Otherwise it'd have been their own 2017 2nd rounder. I'd rather have two 2nd's than a 2nd, a 3rd, a 5th and Johnson but it's not like the value's all that different. Boston's 2015 2nd would have been a bit of a difference maker in comparing the two deals but that couldn't have been in the bargain. It's reasonable to have preferred Murray took that deal, but I don't think we're talking about a situation where either choice could be seen as a mistake.

The Bruins offer for Stewart/Neuvirth/Flynn was on the table on Saturday. They didn't make the trade for Connolly until late Sunday night/early Monday morning. The offer to Buffalo was no longer on the table at that point, so there's a good chance they were the same draft picks in play

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
The Bruins offer for Stewart/Neuvirth/Flynn was on the table on Saturday. They didn't make the trade for Connolly until late Sunday night/early Monday morning. The offer to Buffalo was no longer on the table at that point, so there's a good chance they were the same draft picks in play

It was a better deal but not an amazing one. I don't feel too bad Murray's gamble didn't pay off. Had it been a first and second or something...

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

I saw Sunday in the quote so I assumed it was after the Connolly trade. I'd have preferred they'd have taken that deal then. It underscores that Murray was holding out on something specific from Boston (Subban probably) and it didn't work out. He probably figured he could get equivalent or better value for those three players the next day. He didn't quite get that in terms of winding up with two 2nd's but I'm satisfied with how it turned out.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Before the Deadline:

"We need to trade Torrey Mitchell so he doesn't **** up the tank."

After 3PM on Monday:

"Why didn't we trade for a younger version Torrey Mitchell?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad