Prospect Info: 2014/15 San Antonio Rampage Thread

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Running With the Herd Live will air tonight at 7pm CT. You can listen by going to runningwiththeherd.com and clicking the Listen Live tab. Tonight, JP and I will break down the round one series against OKC, talk to the Barons play-by-play guy Jim Byers for his take on the series, and we will reveal our 1st Annual end of season awards, "The Herdies".

Edit: Here's the link to the show:RWtH Live: Playoff Edition

Last edited:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
If the Rampage lose tonight, you can look no further than the adage of needing a "hot goalie" in the playoffs. IMO, the three goalies are all guys who need a lot of playing time to be at their best. Ellis spent the end of the season on the Cats bench. Houser, I believe got injured and Brittain came in. The last week of the season it was musical chairs as Rowe tried to see if he could find the guy with the hot hand.....no luck. If Houser is off form and Ellis is nicked up, then you will probably see Brittain in for the next start. Not an ideal situation from a continuity and confidence standpoint for the team.

Last edited:

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
If the Rampage lose tonight, you can look no further than the adage of needing a "hot goalie" in the playoffs. IMO, the three goalies are all guys who need a lot of playing time to be at their best. O'Brien spent the end of the season on the Cats bench. Houser, I believe got injured and Brittain came in. The last week of the season it was musical chairs as Rowe tried to see if he could find the guy with the hot hand.....no luck. If Houser is off form and O'Brien is nicked up, then you will probably see Brittain in for the next start. Not an ideal situation from a continuity and confidence standpoint for the team.

By O'Brien I assume you mean Ellis?

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Well I think Houser played a good game. When your team takes two dumb penalties with a few minutes to play, it doesn't say much for team discipline. This is a team that couldn't skate in the 3rd period the first game and did the same thing in this game. Have to find players that can play a full 60 minutes. I think Houser is back in for the next game as he gets better the more he plays.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I dont see what the big deal is with these guys like Grimaldi, Trocheck, Petrovic, etc. They arent showing anything right now except they're all expendable. Terrible showing in the AHL playoffs thus far and its about to be capped off in 20 minutes.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
I dont see what the big deal is with these guys like Grimaldi, Trocheck, Petrovic, etc. They arent showing anything right now except they're all expendable. Terrible showing in the AHL playoffs thus far and its about to be capped off in 20 minutes.
Whatever happens, I don't want Tallon selling Panther fans prospects as a reason to be excited about next season (that would be my only "positive" if we get swept tonight), get us some damn proven NHL goal scorers.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Congrats on a great season. But man, that stinks that they got swept.

Was the losing because they messed with the lineup when Rau & Matheson went there or was it just a bad time for a losing streak?

-ghoste

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL

Was the losing because they messed with the lineup when Rau & Matheson went there or was it just a bad time for a losing streak?

-ghoste

I'd imagine Butler going down was a big reason for the slide.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Whatever happens, I don't want Tallon selling Panther fans prospects as a reason to be excited about next season (that would be my only "positive" if we get swept tonight), get us some damn proven NHL goal scorers.

You mean like

3lCOmRF.png

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014

-ghoste
No, most AHL playoff teams all get an infusion of talent at the end of the year when both college guys come in to play and NHL teams out of the playoffs send down guys that are qualified ie Trocheck and Petro. Rowe pushes guys hard and I would bet some aren't mature enough to handle it when there is a change of chemistry.

Rocco has been very inconsistent at the AHL level for a guy his age, and Knight played like he is ready to move again. Two guys from North Dakota who along with some prospects that acquitted themselves during the regular season, couldn't take it to the next level in the playoffs. Those two have a long road to acquire the mental toughness necessary to make it in the NHL. The rest on offense are borderline as they haven't really dominated when playing in the AHL.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Every Panthers fan has the right to be concerned and angry with what just transpired. I'm sitting here reading tweets, blogs and apparently a bunch of horse**** about how the Rampage were ready for a long Calder Cup quest. Trocheck and Petrovic were talking to media about wanting to go down and win a championship. And they finish the season with 7 straight losses. You're **** right I'm upset. These are the kids that Dale pumps up as the competition for the regulars. Yeah.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
It's unfortunate the Rampage go out with a whimper in the final games as an affiliate. What a dud.
Thanks to Rampage Nate and all the SA fans for their posts and contributions the past couple years, I hope it all works out for you guys with Colorado. :)

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Every Panthers fan has the right to be concerned and angry with what just transpired. I'm sitting here reading tweets, blogs and apparently a bunch of horse**** about how the Rampage were ready for a long Calder Cup quest. Trocheck and Petrovic were talking to media about wanting to go down and win a championship. And they finish the season with 7 straight losses. You're **** right I'm upset. These are the kids that Dale pumps up as the competition for the regulars. Yeah.
Other than Trocheck with his limited time in the AHL, the only guy who put up close to a point a game was Butler. Shore was close to a point a game, but he was moved for what looks to be a fine ECHL hockey prospect. Shore can't even make it on the fourth line in Calgary, so it's probably a testament to Tallons continued inclination to draft low risk/medium reward players that at best can be 3rd or 4th line borderline NHL talent once the draft gets past the top 10. Nick is the only bluechip so far, and it's still early in his NHL career.

I see people penciling in Howden for 4th duty next year. Todays NHL teams that roll four lines, need players that can score to supplement the top two lines. Didn't see that from the majority of the bottom two lines. I don't see that with Howden either, a poor ROI in the first round so far in his career. Many think Hawryluk will be a fine 3rd or 4th line guy.........maybe, but it's too early to tell.

So for anyone who thinks we have tradeable offensive talent, it's time to face reality. Our NHL talent depth is on the blue line, and this is where I see trades being made in the future along with draft picks if possible. I wouldn't even waste the time looking at UFA forwards this year unless they can be picked up for a song and supplement scoring on the 3rd or 4th line. I've had enough of overpriced marginal talent that play like guys that will probably produce at a level similar to what we have in the AHL.

Where does this leave us next year? Let's just say everyone on the first two lines needs to continue to play as they did down the stretch. Even with the addition of a new top six guy, we won't even challenge if the rest of the team doesn't take it up a notch from where they played at the end of the year.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
This sucks.

Our so called future/depth really is overrated. I mean potentially we got lots of 3rd/4th liners coming up. But top 6 players or top 4 dmen? Only maybe Grimaldi/Matheson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad