Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-Building XII | Kulemania runnin' wild, brother | UFA/TRADE IDEAS HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I do not see Hemsky fitting in there. Sid, Geno, and Hemsky all do their best when they are carrying the puck up ice.

Hemsky did light lit it up with a dynamic center like Spezza though. He seems to fit well with uptempo dynamic players. I wish we had room for two top 6 forward signings (Hemsky and Kulemin) but I don't see it happening. I think we're getting one top 6 and three 4th line signings. My guess is Kulemin will be our top 6 guy because he'll likely jump at the chance to play with Malkin and he also is likely to come cheaper than Hemsky which would be more appealing to the Pens.

Hemsky does seem to fit what I hear the Pens coaches talking about though. He fits Johnston's puck possession system and he fits what Tocchet was talking about when it comes to having players willing to take a hit to make a play.

It'll be interesting how the Pens evaluate this. They may for example rank Hemsky higher than Kulemin as a UFA target but how much do they factor in Malkin's opinion. You know if you ask Malkin to pick from a list of Kulemin, Hemsky, Vrbata etc. He's picking Kulemin every time.

Uncle Machete

Apr 6, 2004
Mexico City
I don't see any of the FA wingers as long-term fixes for our top six and that's why I'm hesitant to signing one of them to a long and big (that's what she said) contract which I'm assuming they'll all want except for Iginla who probably takes a shorter one.

I can live with Kulemin at no more than $3m for a couple of years provided he's the third wheel on a line (which excludes both Dupuis and Bennett in the top six), but we need to find another long-term winger through trade. Kane, Ryan, O'Reilly... there's probably more out there but they're the ones talked about.

Would be amazing to have Crosby, Malkin, Hornqvist and one of the traded wingers locked-up for a long time. Bennett can move up whenever he's ready and Kapanen is developing while Kulemin/Kunitz plays out their contracts and we hopefully don't have to worry about our top six for a couple of years.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Just for ***** and giggles ...
Moving parts are Kunitz, Dupuis, Scuderi and Martin ... re-sign Niskanen

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Nikolai Kulemin ($3.500m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Alexander Semin ($7.000m)
Nick Spaling ($1.800m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.500m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Adam Payerl ($0.627m) / Zach Sill ($0.700m) / Jayson Megna ($0.900m)
Bobby Farnham ($0.700m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Simon Despres ($1.000m) / Kris Letang ($7.250m)
Olli Maatta ($0.894m) / Matt Niskanen ($4.500m)
Scott Harrington ($0.589m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Philip Samuelsson ($0.605m) /

GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,615,000; BONUSES: $547,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,385,000

And yes, I know this will never happen.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I really do understand if they move Martin. yes he is our best defenseman, but if they move him and Scuderi, while it dips experience, they could make an offer to a reasonably cheap defenseman while the young guys play through...then you have the cap space to bring in a few of the better bottom line guys we are speaking of. I think we could limp through with what we have, but that is less than Ideal.

I think no matter what 4 to 5 of the defensemen we play this year will have less than a full season of NHL experience under their belt... its just not the taboo it used to be in the NHL these days.

maxpenguins6630

Apr 13, 2004
As I said earlier...

I want David Moss to play 3rd line with Duper and Sutter.

I want Kulemin to play with Geno and Hornqvist.

I want Seto to play with Crosby and Kunitz.

Kunitz-Crosby-Setoguchi
Kulemin- Malkin-Hornqvist
Dupuis-Sutter-Moss
Spaling-Vitale-Gibbons

Letang-Maata
Martin- Despres
Dumoulin-Bortuzzo
Samuelsson

Fleury
Zatkoff

In addind Seto, Kulemin and Moss I add speed and grit to this team. We also add RHS and the cost control should be fine. It makes us a lot tougher to play us and that counts in the playoffs.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Saw it confirmed that Orpik is going to be a free agent.

Orpik leaving, Glass leaving, just need Adams to retire and Scuderi to be traded and we're complete.

It is quite damning though how many players are leaving based on how bad they were under Bylsma.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
I don't see any of the FA wingers as long-term fixes for our top six and that's why I'm hesitant to signing one of them to a long and big (that's what she said) contract which I'm assuming they'll all want except for Iginla who probably takes a shorter one.

I can live with Kulemin at no more than $3m for a couple of years provided he's the third wheel on a line (which excludes both Dupuis and Bennett in the top six), but we need to find another long-term winger through trade. Kane, Ryan, O'Reilly... there's probably more out there but they're the ones talked about.

Would be amazing to have Crosby, Malkin, Hornqvist and one of the traded wingers locked-up for a long time. Bennett can move up whenever he's ready and Kapanen is developing while Kulemin/Kunitz plays out their contracts and we hopefully don't have to worry about our top six for a couple of years.

And it seems like Rutherford is just focused on free agency to complete the roster this offseason based on his comments. Unless he's planning to see what he can do this week to fill out the roster without losing assets before making any other trades.

Muscles4Malkin

Better 2015-16?
Aug 3, 2007
Turku
Not so sure did Rutherford meant 4 NEW UFA signing or did that include our current ones? Anyway here's my thoughts:

Scuderi, didn't like the signing and he wasn't worth the money -> buyout. Give a learning experience for the youngsters, they learn from mistakes.

So Kulemin is what we want and would be a realistic choice for Geno @ $3 - 3.5M, so how about our UFA's Goc and Stempniak? Any change one of them coming back and why? And what about wild card Zlobin? What if he shows that he is ready at the camp or at least ready to try it while Bennett is still healing his wrist?

Dupuis is slightly overpaid but I think he is worth the keep. I think he wants to show everybody that Shero didn't made a mistake by signing him that steep and after that injury, he want's to show he would be the best 3rd-liner in NHL, 'cause I think he realizes that's his job for now on(?) Great locker room guy also! What if we try something like this:

Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kulemin - Malkin - Zlobin (Bennett)
Dupuis - Sutter - Stempniak (Bennett)
Spaling - Malhotra - Megna
Adams

Määttä - Letang (Lot's of options before Määttä is healthy)
Despres - Martin
Dumoulin - Bortuzzo
(Samuelsson/Harrington/Pouliot maybe at some point)

Fleury
Zatkoff

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
As I said earlier...

I want David Moss to play 3rd line with Duper and Sutter.

I want Kulemin to play with Geno and Hornqvist.

I want Seto to play with Crosby and Kunitz.

Kunitz-Crosby-Setoguchi
Kulemin- Malkin-Hornqvist
Dupuis-Sutter-Moss
Spaling-Vitale-Gibbons

Letang-Maata
Martin- Despres
Dumoulin-Bortuzzo
Samuelsson

Fleury
Zatkoff

In addind Seto, Kulemin and Moss I add speed and grit to this team. We also add RHS and the cost control should be fine. It makes us a lot tougher to play us and that counts in the playoffs.

Not a fan of Beau, huh?

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
I had a dream we signed Iggy again.

This was also the same dream where I got a 20k raise though too, so...

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
If the Kulemin rumors are true, he's a good pickup for Geno.
I'd get rid of Scuderi for anything, literally. I'd even give a 4th round pick for someone to take him away.
Keep Dupuis.
Let Bennett start the year with a full time top 6 spot. We won't know if he's a good player until he's giving a real chance. If he proves to be a crappy, injury prone player like DB thought, they can acquire a winger at the deadline.
Waive Adams.
Re-sign Engo for his versatility and toughness.
Don't bring back a single bottom 6 player from last year except maybe Sutter.

Kunitz Sid Bennett
Kulemin Geno Hornqvist
Dupuis Sutter Spaling
Payerl XXXX XXXXX

Letang Martin
Maatta Despres
Bortuzzo Harrington/Engo/Damoulin

Fleury
Zatkoff

Hopefully some of JR's FA targets are gritty 2 way bottom 6 players. More Dupuis, less Vitale please.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
Just for ***** and giggles ...
Moving parts are Kunitz, Dupuis, Scuderi and Martin ... re-sign Niskanen

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Nikolai Kulemin ($3.500m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Alexander Semin ($7.000m)
Nick Spaling ($1.800m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.500m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Adam Payerl ($0.627m) / Zach Sill ($0.700m) / Jayson Megna ($0.900m)
Bobby Farnham ($0.700m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Simon Despres ($1.000m) / Kris Letang ($7.250m)
Olli Maatta ($0.894m) / Matt Niskanen ($4.500m)
Scott Harrington ($0.589m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Philip Samuelsson ($0.605m) /

GOALTENDERS
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,615,000; BONUSES: $547,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,385,000

And yes, I know this will never happen.

How are we getting Patches and Niskanen for $4.5M is a pipe dream

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'm all for saving assets, but I don't think there are a lot of realistic, impact guys out there in FA this summer. Vanek? No thanks. Hemsky? I guess, at the right price, but I'm pretty down on acquiring the guy. Cammalleri? No thanks, past his prime.

I really think JR's gotta make at least one more big trade in order to really flesh out the top six. Geno needs two wingers (Hornqvist is Sid's, I think), and we could use another winger for Sid in my opinion. I'd like to see Kunitz slide down to Geno's line with Kulemin (not my ideal choice, but it seems like a lock we're going to get him), so that leaves one big opening with Sid. I say throw together a package centered around one of Despres/Bennett/Pouliot and a 1st to try and grab someone like Bobby Ryan or try to pry ROR from Colorado.

Still lots of moves to be made by this team this summer, but I'm already really excited. Can't wait to see what this team looks like a week from now.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
As regards Sutter's next contract, I think Berglund's new three year deal has to be considered the ceiling for Sutter. That's 3.25 per. I'd be OK with that and otherwise go the arbitration road to buy time.

PartyatMarios

Jul 2, 2010
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Bobby Ryan ($5.100m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($3.000m)
Lee Stempniak ($3.000m) / Dave Bolland ($4.250m) / Nick Spaling ($1.500m)
Colin Fraser ($0.725m) / Manny Malhotra ($0.600m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m)
Zach Sill ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($7.250m) / Simon Despres ($0.851m)
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Olli Maatta ($0.894m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m) / Clayton Stoner ($1.250m)
Brian Dumoulin ($0.832m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,851,333; BONUSES: $68,333
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,148,667

Trade Bennett + 1st + (?) to Ottawa for Ryan
Trade Dupuis and Scuderi for cap space
Plan the parade

Stempniak, Stoner and Malhotra are just "off the top of my head" placeholders. Swap in relatively similar players if you want. Still decent wiggle room.

One of my favorite rosters. I still want Engo to play a Shawn Thorton role on the 4th.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Not so sure did Rutherford meant 4 NEW UFA signing or did that include our current ones? Anyway here's my thoughts:

Scuderi, didn't like the signing and he wasn't worth the money -> buyout. Give a learning experience for the youngsters, they learn from mistakes.

So Kulemin is what we want and would be a realistic choice for Geno @ $3 - 3.5M, so how about our UFA's Goc and Stempniak? Any change one of them coming back and why? And what about wild card Zlobin? What if he shows that he is ready at the camp or at least ready to try it while Bennett is still healing his wrist?

Dupuis is slightly overpaid but I think he is worth the keep. I think he wants to show everybody that Shero didn't made a mistake by signing him that steep and after that injury, he want's to show he would be the best 3rd-liner in NHL, 'cause I think he realizes that's his job for now on(?) Great locker room guy also! What if we try something like this:

Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kulemin - Malkin - Zlobin (Bennett)
Dupuis - Sutter - Stempniak (Bennett)
Spaling - Malhotra - Megna
Adams

Määttä - Letang (Lot's of options before Määttä is healthy)
Despres - Martin
Dumoulin - Bortuzzo
(Samuelsson/Harrington/Pouliot maybe at some point)

Fleury
Zatkoff

We can't give one of our CBO's to Scuderi because he signed after the last CBA was signed. It'd have to be a regular buyout which would hurt our cap more than if we kept him.

Also, with Orpik, Engelland and Niskanen leaving that leaves us with Martin, Letang, Maatta, Despres, Dumoulin, Bortuzzo really.

Say we got rid of Scuderi too.

Ehrhoff as a vet D if he's $2m or less?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Theres still moves to be made late-season at the deadline. You don't need all your ducks in a row right off the bat.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
How are we getting Patches and Niskanen for $4.5M is a pipe dream

Well, I did say I knew it wasn't happening :laugh: Isn't Nisky looking for something in the 5-6M range? I couldn't remember, so not a huge discount. I think that for him it's about the fit as much as the term. At least that's what he said in his interview with the Empty Netters guy

As for Patches, there are rumors he wants out of MTL. They could use a guy like Martin on their blueline, and Kunitz could fill his spot. As for Semin, I doubt they want to move him, and probably not for Scuderi and/or Dupuis. Just trying to think outside the box and how we might add some more skill to the line up.

penguins2946*

‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 32s
BUF has initiated compliance buyout procedures on Christian Ehrhoff. Not official just yet but BUF has begun the process.

I think this puts a dent in what Niskanen will make in free agency.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
As regards Sutter's next contract, I think Berglund's new three year deal has to be considered the ceiling for Sutter. That's 3.25 per. I'd be OK with that and otherwise go the arbitration road to buy time.

Berglund got 3.7. I don't think Sutter can demand quite that much b/c his most productive season doesn't match Berglund's, but I don't see him getting much less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad