Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-building Thread XXVI: El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jim Rutherford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I remain unconvinced.

I was probably one of the most pissed people about JR being hired.

He really has yet to make a bad move this season.

The amount of bridge jumping this forum does is ridiculous. Talk about the internet being the conductive part of the new "age of outrage".

Perfectly seen in the differences in the amount of posts between tonights post game thread and last nights.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

It's all about the deadline. Is he creative or is he just going to send us down the same exact path Shero sent us each damn year?

March 2 should answer these questions.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I remain unconvinced.

With MJ?

Because he's the one who doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

JR has done quite well in cleaning up the mess he was given.

Again, why would he move BB for a bottom six UFA? That is all he can afford with his current cap space and BB being moved.

It makes zero sense.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
With MJ?

Because he's the one who doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

JR has done quite well in cleaning up the mess he was given.

Again, why would he move BB for a bottom six UFA? That is all he can afford with his current cap space and BB being moved.

It makes zero sense.

Because he is rumored to be going after every rental imaginable, and guys like McKenzie and Dreger are pretty close with JR. Where there's smoke there's an inferno at this time of year.

I don't think either MJ or JR has strayed far enough away philosophically from their predecessors.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
From everything thats rumored so far, i'm fine with whats to come.

Only real rumor i didn't like was Hannan or Hejda but i think JR will be eyeing one of the RHD more.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Because he is rumored to be going after every rental imaginable, and guys like McKenzie and Dreger are pretty close with JR. Where there's smoke there's an inferno at this time of year.

I don't think either MJ or JR has strayed far enough away philosophically from their predecessors.

He may chase a rental, but he isn't using BB to nab a rental.

JR just isn't that stupid.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014

You are going with rumors/smoke vs. results?

We picked up Hornqvist, Comeau, and Perron and absolutely re-invented our top 6.

And you're worried about sending out prospects for Winnik/UFAs??

Just be happy with how awesome GMJR has been in his short tenure so far.

HCMJ, as stated, needs to learn his game.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Our forward group looks good. Winnik would be a really good add as a depth forward. I'd like to see us bring in another D too

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Are people really upset with JR & Co. so far? Do you know how much of a BP Oil Spill-esque slop of **** this team had after Shero and Bylsma got done rubbing their stink all over it?

I'd say he's done a damn good job so far. It's not very realistic to expect/want him to be able to completely 180 this team and all of the deadweight in less than a calendar year.

Aside from Perron (and even with Perron, I think we all figured that ship passed), we had no idea JR was making any of the moves he's made. It's no use putting any stock into rumors, especially this time of year. Just wait and see what happens.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I thought Greiss was going to come in and do well, but he's been probably the worst back-up this team has ever had since the 2004 lock out.

I would rather have Thibault come out of retirement or even Brent Johnson or Tomas Vokoun than see Greiss dress for a game ever again.

Are people really upset with JR & Co. so far? Do you know how much of a BP Oil Spill-esque slop of **** this team had after Shero and Bylsma got done rubbing their stink all over it?

I'd say he's done a damn good job so far. It's not very realistic to expect/want him to be able to completely 180 this team and all of the deadweight in less than a calendar year.

Aside from Perron (and even with Perron, I think we all figured that ship passed), we had no idea JR was making any of the moves he's made. It's no use putting any stock into rumors, especially this time of year. Just wait and see what happens.

I'm with this train of thought 100%, it's tough reading this board but every now and then you see a post like this and suddenly you have some faith again.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well, he did a bang up job with Carolina. He left them in ruins

So what you are saying is that no one deserves a second chance at all, why do the Pens even give contracts out then?

Pay for a game by game basis, 1yr contracts for everyone.

He's fixed a great deal of issues that were left with the Shero tenure.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh

The amount of bridge jumping this forum does is ridiculous. Talk about the internet being the conductive part of the new "age of outrage".

Perfectly seen in the differences in the amount of posts between tonights post game thread and last nights.

I usually don't agree with much that you post, but you're spot on here. Especially the last part.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm curious as to what people think Phil Kessel will go for, because it's hilarious to me how badly people are low-balling offers for the guy in the trade forum, I mean it's no secret the guy has 0 leadership qualities, is very one dimensional, but a damn good one dimension to his game that is very hard to ignore.

I for one, would be curious if the Pens can land the rotund sniper.

I would laugh so hard if the Pens some how managed to get him and the package was:

To Toronto:
Brandon Sutter
1st in 2016
2nd in 2015
Scott Harrington
Chris Kunitz

To Pittsburgh:
Phil Kessel
Daniel Winnik (50% retained)
3rd in 2015
Mike Santorelli (50% retained)

I'm really bored, Man On Fire is on for the 19th time in the past 2 months on FX.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The line-up would be interesting...

Perron, Crosby, Kessel
Comeau, Malkin, Hornqvist
Winnik, Santorelli, Bennett
Spaling, Lapierre, Downie

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Well, he did a bang up job with Carolina. He left them in ruins

Which you can say about pretty every GM at some point. Lamoriello was top of the heap for a while and ran a great organization. And now, look at the Devils. :dunno:

GMs are as dependent on organizations and ownership as players are coaches and systems, not to mention changing financial climates and rule changes. And given that, I'm willing to give GMJR a bit of a pass to see what he does during the deadline/next off-season. And that's speaking as someone who unrepentantly backed Shero, though with some reservations at the end.

Last edited:

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
Sutter + Dumolin for Mathias + Kassian

Or

Sutter + Kunitz for Mathias + Kassian +1st

(The second deal we would need to go out and get Jagr as it leaves a hole in the top 6)

Perron-Crosby-Horny
Comeau-Malkin-Jagr
Spaling-Mathias-Bennett
Kassian-Lappiere-Downie

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad