Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-building Thread XVIII : 2015 - Ring in the New Year with WINGERZZZ!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
My coworker just said we should cut Malkin for punching Adams in the face. Happy Monday in yinzerville

I thought it was pretty funny .. on the CBC broadcast, they were saying that tensions were running high on the Pens recently and that Malkin, as a leader, should have handled the situation better.

Then, I kid you not, 5 minutes later .. commending Subban on being an excellent teammate.

Uhh .. mmm k.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Anyone thinking any of the huge wingers is getting traded in this season are very optimistic. Huge trades like that rarely happen mid-season, and despite JR's reputation I can't see him seismically shifting this roster before June. If I'm JR I give up as little as possible for Jagr at the deadline and cash in Martin for draft picks. Leaving our playoff roster as

Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist
Comeau - Malkin - Jagr
Kunitz - Sutter - Bennett
Downie - Goc - Spaling

Letang - Maatta
Ehrhoff - Harrington
Scuderi - Despres

Fleury

Then in the off-season make that huge impact trade for Geno's left wing. Slide Bennett on that second right wing or even try Kapanen there. Go for Kane or ROR or JVR for a longterm solution to the top six. Try to trade Kunitz either in a package for one of them or just for whatever he can get. Leave us with a permanent top six of:

ROR/JVR/Kane - Malkin - Bennett

Then all we have to do is manage the bottom six and make the decisions on the blue line, which is a relatively easy job. I think this is realistic and smart plan that sets us up for the next few years.

Man if I'm JR, and there is a trade for an impact player signed past this season, I make the trade, even if overpaying a tad. We won't be able to retain guys like Downie and Comeau on sweetheart deals next year. I am not saying go all Ray Shero and throw tons of futures at rentals, but if you can get a Kane, Ladd, JVR, someone like that this season, do it.

I'd also be okay with an NHL ready prospect swap for more depth or a rental like Tlusty or Stewart if the cost is cheap (which is won't be).

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Morrow was a top 3 prospect when he was moved, Dumo isn't near that.

Selling low would be losing him on waivers like Strait, moving him for a 5th like Lovejoy, or a healthy scratch like Sammy.

If you think Dumo is more like Strait, Lovejoy, and Sammy than Morrow, then we won't agree. Dumoulin is a very good prospect. For his age and experience, he is much higher than the Strait's, Lovejoy's, and Sammy's of the world.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The problem is that people misrepresent or misunderstood his quote. He never said he was coming here for league minimum. He said if Mario himself asked Jagr to play for the Penguins as a favor to him, he would sign for league minimum IF he decided to sign here.

If there are that many caveats to a quote, then why say it at all? It was Jagr being Jagr.

Michael8771*

If you think Dumo is more like Strait, Lovejoy, and Sammy than Morrow, then we won't agree. Dumoulin is a very good prospect. For his age and experience, he is much higher than the Strait's, Lovejoy's, and Sammy's of the world.
He's higher, but much higher? I don't know. The jury is still out.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
He's higher, but much higher? I don't know. The jury is still out.

As a prospect and trade value? Hell yes he is much higher. Lovejoy may end up having a better career, but at the time of trade, Dumo is much higher in terms of value.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
I love the JVR idea. I could not possibly be any less interested in Hemsky or Lupul. I dont mind Williams but really, only for the playoffs.

Williams would be a pretty damn good rental next to Malkin or Crosby. I'm not even sure I'd be interested in re-signing him assuming he's going to want some term.

Kunitz - Malkin - Williams
Downie - Sutter - Bennett
Spaling - Goc - Comeau

Maatta - Letang
Ehrhoff - Despres
Scuderi - Harrington
Bortuzzo

something like that. Great top 6. But I'm still not sure if moving Martin for a top 6 wing upgrade would help the offense more than it would hurt our defense....

Michael8771*

As a prospect and trade value? Hell yes he is much higher. Lovejoy may end up having a better career, but at the time of trade,Dumo is much higher in terms of value.
You may be right, but until or unless he gets traded, we can't conclusively know that.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Williams would be a pretty damn good rental next to Malkin or Crosby. I'm not even sure I'd be interested in re-signing him.

Spaling - Goc - Comeau

Maatta - Letang
Ehrhoff - Despres
Scuderi - Harrington
Bortuzzo

something like that. Great top 6. But I'm still not sure if moving Martin for a top 6 wing upgrade would help the offense more than it would hurt our defense....

Williams would look good, no doubt. I just .. maybe im just tired of it .. but no more rentals, please. I think the Pens can still go all in without rentals. Perron was, imo, the absolute perfect pick up and a lot of that has to do with term. He isnt a rental.

I honestly dont think moving Martin hurts that much. If he was playing like he was last season? Then absolutely. But .. he isnt. He's been less than stellar most nights, with a couple of good games and more crap ass games (compared to good ones). I dont see losing him as a big loss right now. Besides, when healthy .. a top 3 of Letang, Maatta, Ehrhoff is pretty sweet. Throw in Despres in that last top 4 slot and youre looking good.

I think the Pens have more than enough D depth to make up for the loss of "current level of play" Martin. He hasnt given my eyes any reason to believe otherwise this season.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Williams would be a pretty damn good rental next to Malkin or Crosby. I'm not even sure I'd be interested in re-signing him assuming he's going to want some term.

Spaling - Goc - Comeau

Maatta - Letang
Ehrhoff - Despres
Scuderi - Harrington
Bortuzzo

Yes, yes it would. Martin is a valuable defender, but I think Despres makes more of an impact on the game now with his physicality and skating ability.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
I don't know. I'd be very hesitant to move PM even with his up and down play this year. #1 is Maatta's health and this shoulder thing doesn't look remotely reliable at this point. Plus he's been prone to shaky play at times also, particularly when his minutes are up. One injury to Letang or Ehrhoff and we'd be hurting...

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Chicago looks to be a good trading partner. They are in bad shape for next season. They have 15 guys signed for a total of like $83mil. Kane, Toews, Hossa, Keith, Crawford combine for $50mil.

Any interest in Patrick Sharp? Multiple time 30g scorer. Signed for 2 more years at $5.5mil. Not young at 32 but will be under 35 when his contract ends.

Moving Martin for a 1st rounder + "insert whatever here to make it a done deal" to whomever. Then trading "y" (where "y" is likely picks and prospects .. as they CANT take on any more salary) to Chicago for Sharp?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't know. I'd be very hesitant to move PM even with his up and down play this year. #1 is Maatta's health and this shoulder thing doesn't look remotely reliable at this point. Plus he's been prone to shaky play at times also, particularly when his minutes are up. One injury to Letang or Ehrhoff and we'd be hurting...

One injury to Perron and Hornqvist and we'd be hurting.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada

One injury to Perron and Hornqvist and we'd be hurting.

Its the Pens so all three will happen at the same time (again) and it wont matter who else is left lol

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Chicago looks to be a good trading partner. They are in bad shape for next season. They have 15 guys signed for a total of like $83mil. Kane, Toews, Hossa, Keith, Crawford combine for $50mil.

Any interest in Patrick Sharp? Multiple time 30g scorer. Signed for 2 more years at $5.5mil. Not young at 32 but will be under 35 when his contract ends.

Moving Martin for a 1st rounder + "insert whatever here to make it a done deal" to whomever. Then trading "y" (where "y" is likely picks and prospects .. as they CANT take on any more salary) to Chicago for Sharp?

I'd love Sharp but it would have to happen after this season.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Sharp appears to be on a Kunitz-like decline. He's 33, so I'm not sure I'd go for him.

Beggers can't be choosers, but if we add another top-6 winger I'd prefer it be a lefty. Comeau, Horny, Downie, Bennett, Perron, hell even Kapanen are all right shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad