Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-building Thread XVIII : 2015 - Ring in the New Year with WINGERZZZ!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Lupul isn't injury prone. Some of you need to check out his injury history and how they happened.

Puck to the face, hit into the boards by a dirty hit, back surgery gone wrong almost ruins his career, concussion from teammate running him etc.

Lupul isn't putting himself in positions to get injured. He isn't skating with his head down, he isn't putting himself in awkward positions along the boards. When I think of injury prone, I think of guys injuring themselves or not being aware of their surroundings. Lupul's injuries could have happened to anyone

Like Bennett, it's a concern. Injuries (especially severe ones like Lupul has had) can degrade the body and hasten the decline of a player. They can also flair up later on. Whether he got a concussion from a hockey play or a car accident, it's something that makes you more prone to additional concussions.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
I doubt we will be making any deals for at least another month or so. The situation on defense still needs to be figured out and GMJR and HCMJ need to evaluate the team's top nine situation with Perron now in the mix. The other teams in the league should have a better idea of where they are in February, meaning there should be more sellers as well.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Like Bennett, it's a concern. Injuries (especially severe ones like Lupul has had) can degrade the body and hasten the decline of a player. They can also flair up later on. Whether he got a concussion from a hockey play or a car accident, it's something that makes you more prone to additional concussions.

I keep telling you guys, 'Lupul' and 'Bennett' are the same person. Ever see them play a game on the same night for the Leafs and Pens respectively? I sure haven't. So, if you acquire 'Lupul', then you have a guaranteed winger who can make a play for Sutter every night.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I doubt we will be making any deals for at least another month or so. The situation on defense still needs to be figured out and GMJR and HCMJ need to evaluate the team's top nine situation with Perron now in the mix. The other teams in the league should have a better idea of where they are in February, meaning there should be more sellers as well.

Here's the top nine situation with Perron in the mix:

1. We need to count on two of Kunitz, Comeau, and Downie to be in the top six.

2. We need to count on Bennett to stay healthy.

In other words, that's why JR isn't done.

What he needs to evaluate is how Perron and Horny, either apart of as a tandem, fit with Sid and Geno and, when he's looking for that last piece, who's he looking for that last piece to play with, because you're looking for a different guy for Sid than you're looking for with Geno.

Michael8771*

What he needs to evaluate is how Perron and Horny, either apart of as a tandem, fit with Sid and Geno and, when he's looking for that last piece, who's he looking for that last piece to play with, because you're looking for a different guy for Sid than you're looking for with Geno.
Or at the very least shouldn't be. It's pretty apparent we're still at least one move away from rounding out the team upfront. Hopefully we don't just try to ''get by'' with what we currently have. Perron's a great start, but there's more work to be done.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I'm just so glad we have Perron. I still don't even believe that we have an actual top six winger that should be playing top six minutes. Oh wait, we have two! And they both seem like they'll have chemistry with Crosby!

Malkin really doesn't need the same amount of skill. Malkin just needs someone that can take random ass passes and put them in the net. Also, someone that can be around the forecheck when Malkin is being the best player in the league below the net.

Michael8771*

I'm just so glad we have Perron. I still don't even believe that we have an actual top six winger that should be playing top six minutes. Oh wait, we have two! And they both seem like they'll have chemistry with Crosby!

Malkin really doesn't need the same amount of skill. Malkin just needs someone that can take random ass passes and put them in the net. Also, someone that can be around the forecheck when Malkin is being the best player in the league below the net.
A good puck retriever would be a nice add to Geno's line.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007

I'm a bit confused by this post. During the first half of the post, you offer information related to the top nine winger situation. Meanwhile, the second half discusses the need to evaluate how Perron and Hornqvist are performing as a tandem. Therefore, the first half of your post states that the team is deficient, regardless of an evaluation (or, rather, based on an evaluation of a small sample size), while the second half stresses that an evaluation is necessary.

:huh:

Regardless, I don't believe the first half of your post really relates to what I was saying: the Pens need to take a month to evaluate the situation. The second half drives at that point by discussing Perron and Hornqvist, though.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I agree that's what Malkin needs.

I also will add that there's an opportunity for the Pens both to get Geno more than he needs and to create very distressing matchups for the opposition if they do just that.

I really had hoped the days of settling were over around here.

Get Geno a JVR and put Comeau on the other wing. Does Geno 'need' that much? No. BUT, what does it mean it terms of the matchup. Perron-Sid-Horny and then JVR-Geno-Comeau as a 2nd line. How do you defend that? And, wouldn't it be nice for once if both Sid and Geno could tilt the ice against anyone? We haven't seen that in the playoffs since 2008, right up until Geno got hurt (2009 was cupcake defensive teams in the East, and in the SCF Sid was shut down, Geno would've been too if Datsyuk is fully healthy and the Wings second line were Franzen-Datsyuk-Hossa).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm a bit confused by this post. During the first half of the post, you offer information related to the top nine winger situation. Meanwhile, the second half discusses the need to evaluate how Perron and Hornqvist are performing as a tandem. Therefore, the first half of your post states that the team is deficient, regardless of an evaluation (or, rather, based on an evaluation of a small sample size), while the second half stresses that an evaluation is necessary.

:huh:

Regardless, I don't believe the first half of your post really relates to what I was saying: the Pens need to take a month to evaluate the situation. The second half drives at that point by discussing Perron and Hornqvist, though.

We should watch and see whether Perron and Hornqvist work better with Crosby or Malkin. Then we should make a trade based on which center has a need. We are obviously lacking at least one more top six forward. We just don't know right now if it is Crosby or Malkin lacking that winger.

Johnston has said the same thing. Hornqvist has played with Crosby and Malkin less than 30 games. We can't just figure that he is predestined to be on either line.

JR should be cautious about trading because we don't want four wingers that provide the same exact thing. That is what the issues have been with our line-up the past four years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad