Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-building Thread XVII : No wingers... just coal for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguins2946*

We talk about trading Martin and Scuderi. Unfortunately it doesn't mean much.

If Draisaitl is going to be the #3C, then why would they move Perron at all? They'll still need a winger like him.

Because Perron wants out and he'll most definitely walk as a free agent after next year. Trading Perron for a center at this point makes no sense when you're the leading candidate for McDavid this year.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Good little point about Drew Shore here. I remember watching the Panthers like 1-2 years ago or so.. and everytime I was watching them I felt like Drew Shore was their best player on the ice. He was very noticeable. Can he REALLY play a wing, though? I guess that if he could, he wouldn´t be in the AHL now ?!

Anyways, this is a classic case of a move that could be cheap and very impactful. There is definitely some potential in Shore. This is a move that I would ABSOLUTELY love. Props to Jiggy, it´s definitely a breath of fresh air to talk about someone else than Perron and company, for once.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I like Drew Shore, too. But he's another right-handed shot and I have no idea if he can play left wing...which really is the team's sore spot right now.

After all, Malkin belongs at center and Kunitz looked MUCH better with Sutter than with either Sid or Geno. So to right this situation we may need two natural left-wingers...unless one of Bennett, Hornqvist or Downie can be permanently moved to the left side (and they maintain their standard level of play).

Most of the players we talk about on a regular basis as options for us are either right-handed (Perron) or natural right-wingers (Jagr, Yakupov).

We probably need to start looking far more closely at left-wingers.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Good little point about Drew Shore here. I remember watching the Panthers like 1-2 years ago or so.. and everytime I was watching them I felt like Drew Shore was their best player on the ice. He was very noticeable. Can he REALLY play a wing, though? I guess that if he could, he wouldn´t be in the AHL now ?!

Anyways, this is a classic case of a move that could be cheap and very impactful. There is definitely some potential in Shore. This is a move that I would ABSOLUTELY love. Props to Jiggy, it´s definitely a breath of fresh air to talk about someone else than Perron and company, for once.

I'm not trying to pimp Shore as a top line winger either. Just want that to be clear. However, I think he could make the Pens third line extremely good. He brings the size and skill we have been clamoring for in the bottom six for years.

He's a playmaker and the Panthers need goal scorers. They have a bunch of guys who have also earned their spots ahead of him. He just isn't valued the same in Florida, as he would be in an org bereft of skilled and talented fwds like the Pens.

I doubt there are many people who have seen Shore play, who think he can't play in the NHL. He's just a really smart, talented player. This is the kind of situation JR needs to try and exploit I think.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Because Perron wants out and he'll most definitely walk as a free agent after next year. Trading Perron for a center at this point makes no sense when you're the leading candidate for McDavid this year.

Except their center depth is so bad they should take what they can get. Derek Roy is their second best center. They traded their previous second best center (Mark Arcobello) to get him. Banking on getting a certain pick is also the worst way to build a team. Though I suppose if anyone should assume they'll be drafting 1st it's the Oilers. :laugh:

I mean, their center depth is so bad that even with McDavid (assuming he's not the next Alexandre Daigle), barring a major free agent signing, they'd be weak at the position.

McDavid
Nugent-Hopkins
Who?

If who? can be Sutter, they're much, much better off.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
How good would this team be if we had Kunitz on the third line?

Move a D prospect plus pick for a top 6 guy.
Move Martin to LA for williams

Trade-Crosby-Hornqvist
Comeau-Malkin-Williams
Kunitz-Sutter-Bennett
Spaling-Goc-Downie

Would be 3 very solid scoring lines and pretty damn decent 4th line

penguins2946*

Except their center depth is so bad they should take what they can get. Derek Roy is their second best center. They traded their previous second best center (Mark Arcobello) to get him. Banking on getting a certain pick is also the worst way to build a team. Though I suppose if anyone should assume they'll be drafting 1st it's the Oilers. :laugh:

I mean, their center depth is so bad that even with McDavid (assuming he's not the next Alexandre Daigle), barring a major free agent signing, they'd be weak at the position.

McDavid
Nugent-Hopkins
Who?

If who? can be Sutter, they're much, much better off.

Draisaitl would be their 3C, who was the #3 overall pick last year. It's also not hard to find 3Cs in free agency. The Oilers are going to get one of McDavid or Eichel, it would be shocking for them to not get one or the other. With McDavid or Eichel, their center depth instantly becomes good. RNH is a good 1st line center, McDavid/Eichel will slide into the 2nd line center and either Draisaitl or a free agent would slide into the 3C spot. Unless the Oilers don't get McEichel, it makes no sense for them for them to move Perron for a center. Using Perron for Sutter as an example, Sutter would just walk as a free agent after next year since he wouldn't be uprooting McDavid/Eichel or RNH on the Oilers depth chart.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Draisaitl would be their 3C, who was the #3 overall pick last year. It's also not hard to find 3Cs in free agency. The Oilers are going to get one of McDavid or Eichel, it would be shocking for them to not get one or the other. With McDavid or Eichel, their center depth instantly becomes good. RNH is a good 1st line center, McDavid/Eichel will slide into the 2nd line center and either Draisaitl or a free agent would slide into the 3C spot. Unless the Oilers don't get McEichel, it makes no sense for them for them to move Perron for a center. Using Perron for Sutter as an example, Sutter would just walk as a free agent after next year since he wouldn't be uprooting McDavid/Eichel or RNH on the Oilers depth chart.

McDavid (1st overall), RNH (1st overall) and Draisaitl (3rd overall) at center would be the closest we've seen in NHL since we had Crosby (1st overall), Malkin (2nd overall) and Staal (2nd overall) as our top-3 centers. RNH is no Malkin so that'd be the biggest difference there in player by player comparisons (of course with McDavid and Draisaitl it's still all about potential to be players who Sid and Staal proved to be) but he's still a very high level talent. That'd be damn amazing center core and with wingers like Hall, Eberle, Yakupov and possible Perron as well, you just have to wonder how the Oilers possibly could ruin their chance on becoming top team in the league...

... and then you take a look at their D and goalies.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC

You really can't count on any draft pick slotting into a roster spot well. They'd be foolish to go in assuming they'll be fine with Draisaitl centering the third line.

That's a good point about Sutter walking, but given that Edmonton really struggles to lure quality FAs, I still think it's a theoretically better option for them. Plus it gives them more time to season Draisaitl if he's legit.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Something dawned on me last night. While we all anxiously await a trade, a couple of Shero like moves by JR could be disastrous. We shall see.

penguins2946*

You really can't count on any draft pick slotting into a roster spot well. They'd be foolish to go in assuming they'll be fine with Draisaitl centering the third line.

That's a good point about Sutter walking, but given that Edmonton really struggles to lure quality FAs, I still think it's a theoretically better option for them. Plus it gives them more time to season Draisaitl if he's legit.

McDavid and Eichel are both above Tavares level prospects, they're not going to have a problem in the NHL. I would be downright shocked for them not to have immediate impacts in the NHL. Conservative guesses for McDavid and Eichel for next year would probably be 55-65 points, with Eichel probably being on the lower end (since he's more of a 2-way guy compared to McDavid). They are as sure fire prospects as you can get that aren't Crosby.

Draisaitl is centering the 3rd line right now, and he can't do any worse of a job next year that he's doing this year. Even without bringing in Sutter, they're going to have an issue fitting all of Draisaitl, McEichel and RNH into their center group. Draisaitl will probably be moved eventually for a more appropriate 3C, so why would they trade for a 3C right now? They would be much better off trading Perron for D help, which we can offer. Getting one of McDavid or Eichel is too likely for them, so trading for another center doesn't make sense right now. Their best bet would be moving Perron for futures to help the tank to make sure they get McDavid. I said earlier that something around Harrington and a pick for Perron makes sense if the Pens re-sign Ehrhoff.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Something dawned on me last night. While we all anxiously await a trade, a couple of Shero like moves by JR could be disastrous. We shall see.

Depends on what Shero type moves you're talking about.

I'm guessing JR would like to bring in a marquee guy that could possibly bring similar production to Neal's but be a better all around player(or bring a better game suited for the playoffs).

I'm also guessing JR is willing to overpay for that guy. He wants to win a Cup in these 2-3 years he's gonna be here.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010

I'm guessing JR would like to bring in a marquee guy that can bring similar production to Neal's but be a better all around player(or bring a better game suited for the playoffs).

I'm also guessing JR is willing to overpay for that guy. He wants to win a Cup in these 2-3 years he's gonna be here.

We'll see in a couple weeks

penguins2946*

I've said this in the past, but I'm not concerned about JR not bringing in a top-6 forward, he definitely will. I'm scared of him destroying our prospect pool and overpaying to get that top-6 forward, because I'm pretty sure he will.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Well, it may take some time to find that guy.
JR may not be able to find him until the off season.

I think with 4 competent GMs they've found one, but we just need to get healthy so we can actually bring the guy in with the proper pieces.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm not trying to pimp Shore as a top line winger either. Just want that to be clear. However, I think he could make the Pens third line extremely good. He brings the size and skill we have been clamoring for in the bottom six for years.

He's a playmaker and the Panthers need goal scorers. They have a bunch of guys who have also earned their spots ahead of him. He just isn't valued the same in Florida, as he would be in an org bereft of skilled and talented fwds like the Pens.

I doubt there are many people who have seen Shore play, who think he can't play in the NHL. He's just a really smart, talented player. This is the kind of situation JR needs to try and exploit I think.

I like the idea of Shore...when I really think about the dynamics of picking him up I'm of the mind that a lot of things would have to fall into place. That being the case, JR would have to start now. I think trades take longer to assess and complete this year given how tight everything is, what the market is like, how close the standings are, and what the draft is like coming up.

How good would this team be if we had Kunitz on the third line?

Move a D prospect plus pick for a top 6 guy.
Move Martin to LA for williams

Trade-Crosby-Hornqvist
Comeau-Malkin-Williams
Kunitz-Sutter-Bennett
Spaling-Goc-Downie

Would be 3 very solid scoring lines and pretty damn decent 4th line

I think that's the lineup (maybe not exactly but that structure) is what he need to shoot for going into the playoffs. Spaling-Goc-Downie is likely one of, if not thee, best 4th lines in the league.

However, as great as that would be, I highly doubt the org puts Kunitz on the 3rd believe Comeau. I would see those lines as:

Trade-Sid-Horny
Kunitz-Malkin-Williams
Downie-Sutter-Bennett
Comeau-Goc-Spaling

Even then that would be nice to role with. I could only hope that Comeau pulls a Talbot and usurps Kunitz.

McDavid (1st overall), RNH (1st overall) and Draisaitl (3rd overall) at center would be the closest we've seen in NHL since we had Crosby (1st overall), Malkin (2nd overall) and Staal (2nd overall) as our top-3 centers. RNH is no Malkin so that'd be the biggest difference there in player by player comparisons (of course with McDavid and Draisaitl it's still all about potential to be players who Sid and Staal proved to be) but he's still a very high level talent. That'd be damn amazing center core and with wingers like Hall, Eberle, Yakupov and possible Perron as well, you just have to wonder how the Oilers possibly could ruin their chance on becoming top team in the league...

... and then you take a look at their D and goalies.

In the cap world there will be gaps. Ours are wingers. Can't have it all. Few teams do. One thing to keep in mind though, RMH is a far cry from Malkin and Draisaitl is a far cry from 3C Staal.

On paper they should have a great team. Their D sucks and their G sucks...but more importantly their GM and coach suck. When you look at how they play it's clear, to me at least, that although the players are good...the team sucks. They don't have the right mix of players to take the next step. McDavid may change that...or he may not.

I'm guessing JR would like to bring in a marquee guy that could possibly bring similar production to Neal's but be a better all around player(or bring a better game suited for the playoffs).

I believe the organization wants one more Cup before the prime years of Sid and Geno are essentially gone. 2-3 years may be the timeframe to accomplish it. They really dicked the dog though hanging on to Bylsma for so long. Even in 2013 I think Shero made the moves a GM needed to make to build a cup contender. Bylsma just couldn't coach.

Of course, if he did win the Cup that year...he wouldn't be gone now.

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy

Letang-Eaton
Martin-Orpik
Murray-Niskanen

Fleury

That was enough to win the Cup that year.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think with 4 competent GMs they've found one, but we just need to get healthy so we can actually bring the guy in with the proper pieces.

I believe they have identified "targets". I think all good GM's have ideas of who they would like to bring in. Whether or not they are available and always monitoring that is what they do.

I doubt the target players that they are willing to bring in for prices that won't compromise our contending status will be made available, at least not by the TDL.

With that, I bet we pick up a Stampy, Goc, Poni like players and just pray and roll.

Likely running:

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist
Trade-Malkin-Comeau
Downie-Sutter-Bennett
Spaling-Goc-Adams

and hoping it all comes together. Defense is all up in the air...but I imagine:

Letang-Maatta
Martin-Ehrhoff
Scuds-Despres

with Bortuzzo coming in and out with Despres will win out.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I've said this in the past, but I'm not concerned about JR not bringing in a top-6 forward, he definitely will. I'm scared of him destroying our prospect pool and overpaying to get that top-6 forward, because I'm pretty sure he will.

I don't care if he wrecks our prospect pool if the top six wingers he brings in aren't rentals.

penguins2946*

I don't care if he wrecks our prospect pool if the top six wingers he brings in aren't rentals.

That's a fair point. If the Williams for Martin rumors are true, my goal is Perron and Williams.

penguins2946*

I didn't hear about these rumors. Can you link it up for me pls.

Thx

Mark Madden yesterday was saying that a Martin for Williams swap may happen, and he was bringing up stuff like Williams' wife being from PA as support for this. So basically just MM. Not exactly a good insider, but it's worth noting. I'd immediately dismiss it if he hasn't gotten some stuff in the past right. I read it in this thread.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I didn't hear about these rumors. Can you link it up for me pls.

Thx

Nothing legit. Madden mentioned it on his show. Colligan mentioned it last summer and other blogs have since.

Supposedly Williams gave LA a time frame that's expiring soon to get an extension done.

Martin was linked to LA back in 2010 and may want to go there in free agency. Especially after watching them win twice, while we went down in flames year after year.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA

How else is he going to do it? Prospects like Dumoulin & Harrington aren't going to bring back a top 6 forward.

With the salary cap the days of getting good players for mid tier prospects are over. Team's can afford their players now so if you want them you have to give to get. Look at free agency these days. Team's want to keep their good players not recycle for prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad