Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-building Thread XIV : So you think you know better than Dejan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Sutter has improved from the .37 PPG player he's been most of his career. He averaged .53 PPG in the playoffs last year and .48 PPG this season. He's getting better. He's been slumping a bit lately but I still think he's been playing well. Sometimes you just hit a stretch where the puck just doesn't go in for you. He's by far our most dangerous PK'er.

I personally don't see the Pens trading him unless he has outrageous contract demands when they start those negotiations down the road. That said, I don't think he's totally off limits. Shero being the D-Man hoarder he was actually didn't want to trade Goligoski. It wasn't until Dallas called and put James Neal on the table that Shero started to budge on not moving Gogo. I'm sure there's some players that Rutherford would trade Sutter for if they were made available. Hell, we saw him do it already to get Jordan Staal.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Sutter has improved from the .37 PPG player he's been most of his career. He averaged .53 PPG in the playoffs last year and .48 PPG this season. He's getting better. He's been slumping a bit lately but I still think he's been playing well. Sometimes you just hit a stretch where the puck just doesn't go in for you. He's by far our most dangerous PK'er.

Or, you know, the slump is bringing him back to his normal production level because that's what he averages out to over a season. Who knows right now. If he can do what he did in the playoffs again that's the important thing.

If Sutter brings back a player that makes the team better he should be moved, but he's a player that shouldn't be moved to get just anything.

Michael8771*

I personally don't see the Pens trading him unless he has outrageous contract demands when they start those negotiations down the road. That said, I don't think he's totally off limits. Shero being the D-Man hoarder he was actually didn't want to trade Goligoski. It wasn't until Dallas called and put James Neal on the table that Shero started to budge on not moving Gogo. I'm sure there's some players that Rutherford would trade Sutter for if they were made available. Hell, we saw him do it already to get Jordan Staal.
This is yet another variable to be considered. He is improving, and even when he doesn't produce he's visible in most every game now. He's certainly making an upturn in his career. When BB gets back I'm anxious to see just how good and effecxtive that 3rd line can be.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
This is yet another variable to be considered. He is improving, and even when he doesn't produce he's visible in most every game now. He's certainly making an upturn in his career. When BB gets back I'm anxious to see just how good that 3rd line can be.

It'll nice to have a functioning, legit 3rd line, for sure... especially when it'll be so easy to shut down one of the top 2 lines.

Michael8771*

It'll nice to have a functioning, legit 3rd line, for sure... especially when it'll be so easy to shut down one of the top 2 lines.
Which is why it's imperative that JR makes moves to fortify the top six. I don't think anyone sees it otherwise. How to go about doing it, well, that's where the disparity in opinions occur.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Sutter has improved from the .37 PPG player he's been most of his career. He averaged .53 PPG in the playoffs last year and .48 PPG this season.

Could that uptick in his numbers this year be cause he's been paired with Geno to start the season and recently? I know small sample size and all, but I think that's something to chew on.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Could that uptick in his numbers this year be cause he's been paired with Geno to start the season and recently? I know small sample size and all, but I think that's something to chew on.

Is it that small of a sample size, though?

It has to be 10+ games, at this point, right? That's not a massive volume but certainly enough with a player like that to provide a decent bump in production. Though I don't think those two have really factored in on too many goals that I can remember, as a duo. During Malkin's first sentence as a winger, he put up barely any ES numbers.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sutter's a good player and all, but he's not the center we need at 3C. I hear Boston talk about needing more "heavy" players but we don't have a single "heavy" forward in our top 9. We have a bunch of shrimps and some 6'2" and 6'3" beanpoles in Malkin and Sutter.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Sutter's a good player and all, but he's not the center we need at 3C. I hear Boston talk about needing more "heavy" players but we don't have a single "heavy" forward in our top 9. We have a bunch of shrimps and some 6'2" and 6'3" beanpoles in Malkin and Sutter.

I would love to run two strong scoring lines centered by generational talents, a big, physical, pain-in-the-ass third line to wear teams down/frustrate them and hold the puck in down low (scoring with a line like this is secondary, IMO) and a speedy fourth line with some agitating and occasional scoring touch to change things up and help build momentum. I don't see why that's such a terrible plan as opposed to trying to ice three half-assed scoring lines and a... whatever... fourth line.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Is it that small of a sample size, though?

It has to be 10+ games, at this point, right? That's not a massive volume but certainly enough with a player like that to provide a decent bump in production. Though I don't think those two have really factored in on too many goals that I can remember, as a duo. During Malkin's first sentence as a winger, he put up barely any ES numbers.

True. I was just thinking aloud. We always talk about Sid and Geno raising the level of their linemates. I was only wondering if Sutter's uptick might have been because of that.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
True. I was just thinking aloud. We always talk about Sid and Geno raising the level of their linemates. I was only wondering if Sutter's uptick might have been because of that.

I mean... it well might have. I'm just going by memory, to clarify. And that's not exactly a Swiss watch, these days. Or, uh... ever, really.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Or, you know, the slump is bringing him back to his normal production level because that's what he averages out to over a season. Who knows right now. If he can do what he did in the playoffs again that's the important thing.

If Sutter brings back a player that makes the team better he should be moved, but he's a player that shouldn't be moved to get just anything.

No it's a slump. He's getting moved around as much as everyone else and it seems like everyone is slumping right now except Malkin.

Sutter has been playing solid hockey, he's been making stuff happen for most of his shifts, he's starting to get more confidence again and a player that has some skill and solid hockey IQ...confidence can go a very long way.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

And Goc is?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I would love to run two strong scoring lines centered by generational talents, a big, physical, pain-in-the-ass third line to wear teams down/frustrate them and hold the puck in down low (scoring with a line like this is secondary, IMO) and a speedy fourth line with some agitating and occasional scoring touch to change things up and help build momentum. I don't see why that's such a terrible plan as opposed to trying to ice three half-assed scoring lines and a... whatever... fourth line.

****in A. We're a mishmash wihtout an identity right now.

And Goc is?

A placeholder on the 3rd line if Sutter's leveraged to land a legit top 6 winger.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
No it's a slump. He's getting moved around as much as everyone else and it seems like everyone is slumping right now except Malkin.

Sutter has been playing solid hockey, he's been making stuff happen for most of his shifts, he's starting to get more confidence again and a player that has some skill and solid hockey IQ...confidence can go a very long way.

Yes, but slumps are a part of a season. So saying Sutter is now almost a .5ppg player isn't something that can be done at this time. He could still very well be right around his previous average by the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad