Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-building Thread V | All UFA/trade talk, speculation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

DawgPens

Jul 10, 2012
Athens, GA
I'd be very surprised if he re-signs here. That's part of why I'd be happy with trading him. I like him as a player, but he is relatively expendable with Goc and Spaling here, he'd clear some salary, he has value, and I see him leaving after next season. I don't think we have to trade him, but after Martin he's our best combination of value, cap, and expandability.

And after this year I would add Sundqvist as a C as well. I like Sutter, but I think the Pens are well-positioned to trade him under the right circumstances.

DawgPens

Jul 10, 2012
Athens, GA
well ya, excluding deals that actually make the situation worse. I'm sure we could package Scuds with Sid and trade him to whoever we want. That's obviously not what I mean :laugh:

I know, and I wasn't trying to grind your gears with the comment. :)

My guess is that JR has not yet seen a reasonable trade for Scuds that works under the cap and improves the team's overall position.

Again, many possible trades just won't work. For example (and I am NOT proposing this), Scuds for Semin would solve two problems (eliminate a redundant D and add a talented F), but we cannot fit that Semin contract in under the cap and we would be trading a bad four year deal for an even larger (and potentially worse) five year one.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I'd be very surprised if he re-signs here. That's part of why I'd be happy with trading him. I like him as a player, but he is relatively expendable with Goc and Spaling here, he'd clear some salary, he has value, and I see him leaving after next season. I don't think we have to trade him, but after Martin he's our best combination of value, cap, and expandability.

I agree, he won't be back. He'll want a raise, and the Floridas of the world who can't attract players will give it to him in hopes he can be more than he is, which is a 3rd line center with average offensive skills, little playmaking and creativity, and good to very good PK abilities. Staal arguably has a greater chance at success at #2C simply due to his size and possession abilities, but he's not a good #2 either.

Sundqvist is a player I love, and with Spaling signed through next season and Goc probably open to an extension, this is the year to get max value out of Sutter since he's not a rental.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Perron is signed until the end of the 2015-16 season. EDM has no reason to trade him this season. And I don't think anyone knows if Perron will or won't re-sign.

Plus, with Draisaitl and RNH, it is very clear that EDM has it's 1C & 2C of the future. Sutter isn't going to re-sign in ****ing EDM to be a 3C.

Sutter offers them a moderate upgrade at center for a limited time. It's a bad deal for them unless the deal is something like Sutter+Despres.

penguins2946*

Kuhnhackl, D'Agostino and a 2nd for Jagr at the deadline.

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist
Dupuis-Malkin-Jagr
Downie-Sutter-Bennett
Spaling-Goc-Comeau

Damn, that's fine.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Out of left field, but what about Eric Staal if we can make it work under the cap?

He may be moved. JR knows what the guy can bring. Francis knows some of the pieces we may move. Salary cap isn't going to be a huge issue moving forward for us especially if we go youth on defense.

Who knows if it's true, but Toronto was rumored to be offering Bozak+Gardiner as the basis of a deal. Not hard to beat that.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Out of left field, but what about Eric Staal if we can make it work under the cap?

He may be moved. JR knows what the guy can bring. Francis knows some of the pieces we may move. Salary cap isn't going to be a huge issue moving forward for us especially if we go youth on defense.

Who knows if it's true, but Toronto was rumored to be offering Bozak+Gardiner as the basis of a deal. Not hard to beat that.

They would have to retain A LOT of salary for it to come close to working. And I don't get the idea that they really want to be doing that.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Not a chance I'd do Sutter and Despres for Perron. Despres is worth more than a 1st round pick. I'd want more for Despres than I'd want for Sutter.

Thank you.

Kuhnhackl, D'Agostino and a 2nd for Jagr at the deadline.

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist
Dupuis-Malkin-Jagr
Downie-Sutter-Bennett
Spaling-Goc-Comeau

Damn, that's fine.

Don't let Michael see this. He'll accuse you of living in the past. Or something.

Dreger said last week that Eric Staal doesn't want to leave Carolina, and I believe him. He worked hard so that his little brother can join him there. Both have started families and put roots down in Carolina. I doubt either is going anywhere anytime soon.

Plus he's the type of 'face of the franchise' player who would command franchise-type trade packages, but isn't nearly that good anymore. Throw in the cap situation and you have a big problem.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

Cap concerns aside, he's a center ... where would he fit in the lineup? Plus, he's already said that he wants to be in Carolina and would only re-think that if there's an ownership change.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
E. Staal has played left wing before...in the Olympics, some with brother Jordan in Carolina. Just to be accurate.

Mike Johnston was on SportsNet this afternoon and he said a few interesting things:

- likes the chemistry between Sutter and Bennett. Pretty clear that'll be a combination when Bennett returns. Obviously, Rutherford needs to acquire a winger for Geno.

- likes Nick Spaling's game. Accentuated the fact he can play center, though he hadn't played much there in Nashville. Seemed to intimate Spaling will eventually be playing center here.

- called Fleury a 'glue guy' for this team. This is extremely disturbing, because whenever someone is referred to as a 'glue guy' on a hockey team, it largely means he isn't easy to replace.

We already know this team lacks leadership. Clearly, players on this team gravitate towards Fleury. That makes him one of the key leaders on this team. I still cannot justify re-signing Fleury with a raise on a long-term contract because of his leadership skills. But it's obvious that's what the club is planning to do.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Agree. But I always factor in any trade for a forward really makes the most sense with a defenseman for forward swap. Dealing Sutter, (though expendable) effectively just "replaces" one forward.

Whereas a defenseman/futures for a forward trade would have the trickle down effect to make a stronger forward unit overall.

I can see some logic in a Sutter deal to clear cap or get some great deal. (Sutter for Perron or Sutter pkg for Grabner kind of deal but those are pretty much pipe dreams). I'd rather move a defenseman...whether that be Martin, Scuderi, Dumoulin, etc.
Absolutely. But if a good trade comes up and we need to move Sutter to do it, I wouldn't say no because he's a forward. What we need are top 6 forwards. We have enough bottom 6 forwards, at least when counting guys like Bennett or Dupuis in the situation where they get bumped down a line.

Also, I'm still greedy and would love two trades.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
E. Staal has played left wing before...in the Olympics, some with brother Jordan in Carolina. Just to be accurate.

Mike Johnston was on SportsNet this afternoon and he said a few interesting things:

- likes the chemistry between Sutter and Bennett. Pretty clear that'll be a combination when Bennett returns. Obviously, Rutherford needs to acquire a winger for Geno.

- likes Nick Spaling's game. Accentuated the fact he can play center, though he hadn't played much there in Nashville. Seemed to intimate Spaling will eventually be playing center here.

- called Fleury a 'glue guy' for this team. This is extremely disturbing, because whenever someone is referred to as a 'glue guy' on a hockey team, it largely means he isn't easy to replace.

We already know this team lacks leadership. Clearly, players on this team gravitate towards Fleury. That makes him one of the key leaders on this team. I still cannot justify re-signing Fleury with a raise on a long-term contract because of his leadership skills. But it's obvious that's what the club is planning to do.

I caught the interview as well. MJ said, as I have been hinting at, that the players love MAF and play hard for him, etc.

All I can say is MJ and JR are some big time bull****ters or people better start accepting MAF as the starter here for the foreseeable future.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014

Maybe he just means MAF sniffs glue? Would explain some of the brain farts.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010

So if he plans on using Bennett and Sutter, your right that we will need to get a top 6 winger for Geno and I guess that also means we probably wont deal Sutter?

Although if he likes Spaling at center, Im not really sure where he is supposed to play.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
So if he plans on using Bennett and Sutter, your right that we will need to get a top 6 winger for Geno and I guess that also means we probably wont deal Sutter?

Although if he likes Spaling at center, Im not really sure where he is supposed to play.

Yeah, it does sound a bit confusing and potentially contradictory. But I think the way I read it is Johnston likes Sutter with Bennett, short term. Long term, he sees Spaling as a center.

Then I just do the math.

attaamillo

Oct 27, 2014
Absolutely. But if a good trade comes up and we need to move Sutter to do it, I wouldn't say no because he's a forward. What we need are top 6 forwards. We have enough bottom 6 forwards, at least when counting guys like Bennett or Dupuis in the situation where they get bumped down a line.

Also, I'm still greedy and would love two trades.

Two trades...now we're talking.

I like the idea of trading Martin for picks/prospects, opening up cap space, and then dealing from a plethora of options to get the forward we want. Basically circumventing Martin's limited movement clause and giving us a shot at younger wingers from teams in rebuild mode.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Two trades...now we're talking.

I like the idea of trading Martin for picks/prospects, opening up cap space, and then dealing from a plethora of options to get the forward we want. Basically circumventing Martin's limited movement clause and giving us a shot at younger wingers from teams in rebuild mode.

I wonder if the fact Edmonton and Winnipeg are both starting to show signs of life would change Martin's chances of accepting a deal to either team (assuming he'd exercise his option NOT to be traded to either, which everybody here believes he would do)?

penguins2946*

I wonder if the fact Edmonton and Winnipeg are both starting to show signs of life would change Martin's chances of accepting a deal to either team (assuming he'd exercise his option NOT to be traded to either, which everybody here believes he would do)?

Winnipeg definitely not, they are very deep on D and probably don't need Martin. Edmonton is an extremely likely destination. I proposed Sutter and Martin for Perron and Petry a while back and it was generally accepted by both sides. I would love to see a deal like that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad