Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-building Thread IX : How to replace Duper... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You need to have three scoring lines. Your theory precludes that from happening. We can't afford to be a top heavy team anymore, that formula doesn't work in the playoffs. Better to have three capable scoring lines. We can still fortify the top six in other ways. Sutter does not have to be the player traded to accomplish this.

edit: I also don't agree that our window is another five or six years, that's a very optimistic timeline. three more years, maybe. After that Sid and Geno our likely to drop off, at least a bit.

You also need to have enough top 6 talent to give the 3rd line better match up's, otherwise having 3 solid scoring lines doesn't mean much.

I'm not sure the drop off when Crosby/Malkin are in their early/mid 30s will be enough to close their window.

Michael8771*

You also need to have enough top 6 talent to give the 3rd line better match up's, otherwise having 3 solid scoring lines doesn't mean much.

I'm not sure the drop off when Crosby/Malkin are in their early/mid 30s will be enough to close their window.
I agree we need to help the top six, but as we've said several times there are many options to do this. We're stacked on defense, from this position we could easily get the right piece or pieces upfront if we're smart about it.

As far as that window of opportunity goes, beyond three years we then have to heavily rely on the supporting cast, if we have a strong one yes, we could still contend. But that becomes a very slippery slope. We're dealing with a lot of unknowns there. We know currently that Sid and Geno are in their primes. Best to make hay now. One other thing, and I hope it doesn't happen, but GENO COULD go back to Russia at some point. Maybe sooner if we don't legitimately contend over the next couple of seasons.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I agree we need to help the top six, but as we've said several times there are many options to do this. We're stacked on defense, from this position we could easily get the right piece or pieces upfront if we're smart about it.

As far as that window of opportunity goes, beyond three years we then have to heavily rely on the supporting cast, if we have a strong one yes, we could still contend. But that becomes a very slippery slope. We're dealing with a lot of unknowns there. We know currently that Sid and Geno are in their primes. Best to make hay now. One other thing, and I hope it doesn't happen, but GENO COULD go back to Russia at some point. Maybe sooner if we don't legitimately contend over the next couple of seasons.

Shouldn't we then be doing what we can to support the top 6? :D

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
1. This team needs two wingers. And, after it adds those two wingers, one line cannot be KCH, because that's a line built for playoff suffocation.

2. I'd be ok with Beau in the top six, but I am not ok with his health being the only thing separating the team from having Spaling or Comeau in the top six for a cup run.

3. If Kunitz is traded, then I won't lose a minutes sleep over it. I had a dream that the Pens traded Kunitz and Pouliot for Marleau and Hertl. It turned a little sad when KK later was introduced to the dream as the + to make it happen.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
we need to make a trade like yesterday,

this is pathetic.

This is why I am in the RRP camp that says maybe trusting one more young defenseman and signing a Kulemin for the 4M you gave Ehrhoff might have been the better thing for THIS team, even though Ehrhoff, at 4M, is, in the abstract, a better value at 4M.

Michael8771*

I wonder how much a package of Kunitz and Letang would bring, and yes I'm totally serious here. I'm so tired of Letangs bonehead plays. He's so talented but has almost no hockey IQ at all. Yet I'm sure he'd still fetch a sizable return.

Michael8771*

This is why I am in the RRP camp that says maybe trusting one more young defenseman and signing a Kulemin for the 4M you gave Ehrhoff might have been the better thing for THIS team, even though Ehrhoff, at 4M, is, in the abstract, a better value at 4M.
I said that since we signed Ehrhoff.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I wonder how much a package of Kunitz and Letang would bring, and yes I'm totally serious here. I'm so tired of Letangs bonehead plays. He's so talented but has almost no hockey IQ at all. Yet I'm sure he'd still fetch a sizable return.

Detroit would give up a lot for that. I don't really know specifics, but I think Nyquist and Tatar/Jurco would be a starting point (Detroit adds IMO).

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I said that since we signed Ehrhoff.

Well, people would read that from you and RRP as saying that means Kulemin was worth more as a player, as if this were some abstract rotisserie league.

IF JR had done that, then here's what you'd have RIGHT NOW:

No Ehrhoff, but three lines of XXXX-Sid-Horny, Kunitz-Geno-Kulemin, and Downie-Sutter-Beau, with a Spaling-Goc-Comeau fourth line once you added XXXX (and you'd have the cap space to do it).

NOW, you not only have to get Sid that XXXX, you also need someone for Geno's RW who's going to bring a Kulemin type game (and the instinct to mesh with Geno), because, if you don't, then the Kunitz-Geno combo will be every bit the disaster the Kunitz-Sid combo has been in every playoff series against a tight checking opponent dating back to and including 2009.

Michael8771*

Detroit would give up a lot for that. I don't really know specifics, but I think Nyquist and Tatar/Jurco would be a starting point (Detroit adds IMO).
That works for me. I really wish they would make such a trade. We can do without Letang even if some don't want to admit it.

Well, people would read that from you and RRP as saying that means Kulemin was worth more as a player, as if this were some abstract rotisserie league.

IF JR had done that, then here's what you'd have RIGHT NOW:

No Ehrhoff, but three lines of XXXX-Sid-Horny, Kunitz-Geno-Kulemin, and Downie-Sutter-Beau, with a Spaling-Goc-Comeau fourth line once you added XXXX (and you'd have the cap space to do it).

NOW, you not only have to get Sid that XXXX, you also need someone for Geno's RW who's going to bring a Kulemin type game (and the instinct to mesh with Geno), because, if you don't, then the Kunitz-Geno combo will be every bit the disaster the Kunitz-Sid combo has been in every playoff series against a tight checking opponent dating back to and including 2009.
Exactly, we didn't need to get Ehrhoff as tempting as it may be, because we are stacked on defense without him. I would have gone for Vrbata or Kulemin, in either case we'd be better off. And actually addressing an area of need.

attaamillo

Oct 27, 2014
1. This team needs two wingers. And, after it adds those two wingers, one line cannot be KCH, because that's a line built for playoff suffocation.

2. I'd be ok with Beau in the top six, but I am not ok with his health being the only thing separating the team from having Spaling or Comeau in the top six for a cup run.

3. If Kunitz is traded, then I won't lose a minutes sleep over it. I had a dream that the Pens traded Kunitz and Pouliot for Marleau and Hertl. It turned a little sad when KK later was introduced to the dream as the + to make it happen.

I'd be ok with that deal without KK involved. Honestly, I still think Pouliot has more value than Hertl. Not even that big on Hertl. But its the Kunitz for Marleau aspect that would make it worth it.

What about Pouliot and Martin for Cogliano and N. Ritchie?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Vrbata & Kulemin got multi year deals, Ehrhoff didn't.. Maybe Ehrhoff is redundant currently, but when the ideal winger didn't come our way JR opted to spend the cap room on the D.

Ehrhoff has not been good but it was still a no brainer signing.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

I'd have rather JR dumped one of Scuds/Martin/Duper and signed both.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria

I don't think we were going to get Kulemin. Him and Grabovski were basically a package deal but yeah we probably shouldn't have been adding more D unless we were trading out some D (which we better do pretty soon).

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
It is obvious that the Pens need to acquire two wings. Although I like both Comeau and Spaling, neither should be skating in the top 6. Hornqvist is beginning to adapt to playing with Geno, but he does not look as good as he did with Sid. I would still be in favor of switching wingers on those lines. If not, then we're back to the original problem of the need for two wings and what assets the Pens are willing to move to acquire them. The first thing might be to move Bennett up. Sutter is playing well and if you place Comeau or Spaling with him and Downie, the third line will continue it's effectiveness. Moving Bennett up might readjust the need back to 1 wing.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
edit - We should probably have the Ducks add a 3rd

Nope, Martin and Pouliot are the better pieces, and together should bring back a better NHL player. The third is almost useless; I'd rather have a better NHL player.

attaamillo

Oct 27, 2014
Nope, Martin and Pouliot are the better pieces, and together should bring back a better NHL player. The third is almost useless; I'd rather have a better NHL player.

Fair enough. Even though hes only 18 and at least a full season away from the NHL...Ritchie would be the perfect young winger for this team.

And I love Cogliano, think his speed would play well next to Sid. But otherwise were back to looking at Martin for DSP or Silvferberg kinda deals.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
If you trade Martin that means Scuderi and Borts is your bottom pair, or it means one of those guys is in your top 4, both those scenarios would be bad.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I will keep saying this until my fingers fall off, Sid needs a guys who will make life easier for him, make him at peace. Playoffs last year changed Sid, he was abused to a new level of disrespect. Find him his own Tocchet. I don't care the price, get him a guy that can skate with a very nasty disposition (think Downey only heavy and angrier). If you can find Two, even better. Then, sit back and enjoy. PROFIT

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
I will keep saying this until my fingers fall off, Sid needs a guys who will make life easier for him, make him at peace. Playoffs last year changed Sid, he was abused to a new level of disrespect. Find him his own Tocchet. I don't care the price, get him a guy that can skate with a very nasty disposition (think Downey only heavy and angrier). If you can find Two, even better. Then, sit back and enjoy. PROFIT

Chris Stewart is probably one of the toughest guys with skill and size but he would need to to not take nights off in order to play with Crosby. I would definitely take a chance on him if the price weren't too high. He is also playing for his next contract which isn't a bad thing

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
When Shero was trying to save his coach's job by trading for Ryan Kesler, he was begged by people in the organization to not even consider Derrick Pouliot as part of the discussion. Those same people are still part of the organization, so Pouliot I would suspect is still a non-starter for trade talks.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad