Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-building Thread III | All UFA/trade talk, speculation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
The Bruins need a top-6 RW. Glencross is a LW. They have Lucic and Marchand as top-6 LW, and they have Smith and Eriksson (who has been struggling) at RW. Anyway, I don't think I need to remind you of the Iginla situation. I don't think that would happen again, but you never know.

Almost positive Marchand was taking shifts on the right yesterday. Either that or he spent half the game out of position.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/wort...on-eric-staal-discussions-pens-trade-thoughts

On Pittsburgh Penguins looking for a top-six forward, despite being a team that has scored goals in bunches early on:

"Yeah, there's absolute truth to it but there's no sense of urgency for the reason that you just articulated. Look, E.J. will tell you too, when you scour around the National Hockey League that we do, everybody is looking for a top-pairing defenseman and everyone is looking for a top-six forward.

"But as far as Pittsburgh is concerned, yeah, they're looking for a winger. They're looking for someone who might be able to complement Evgeni Malkin. So that's just adding depth to what is already a strong organization. But there's no sense of urgency, as I said a second ago. They're simply in the market. This might take until February and obviously, when you're a cap team like the Pittsburgh Penguins, there's some cap sensitivity that goes along with this as well. So I would say it's a quiet search by Jim Rutherford."

Last edited:

penguins2946*

Almost positive Marchand was taking shifts on the right yesterday. Either that or he spent half the game out of position.

He was a natural LW IIRC, and there were threads on the main board about the Bruins needing a top-6 RW. It makes sense since Iginla left and Iggy and Smith were their top-6 RWs last year.

They could easily target Stewart for their top-6 RW spot, and that would probably be a better fit than Glencross anyway.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=32663&navid=nhl:topheads

Will the Pittsburgh Penguins look to move Paul Martin sooner rather than later for a top-six forward, making room for Derrick Pouliot or Scott Harrington? -- @azzurri0108

That's not something I would consider right now. I would not tinker with the defense and make it younger and less experienced just to add another scorer to a lineup that already has a lot of firepower.

The Penguins use Martin in all situations and as a top-pair defenseman with Olli Maatta. It's hard to replace those minutes, particularly when you're talking about bringing a young defenseman into the lineup.

Martin is in the last season of his contract, but the Penguins should be in the race for first in the Metropolitan Division (they're the favorites) and I would not mess with that. They may not re-sign him in the offseason, but they shouldn't trade him just because his contract is expiring.

Pouliot and Harrington will have their chance, but it can't hurt to continue to develop while waiting.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Two deals I'd strongly consider making right now (with Edm and Wpg):

- Send Paul Martin and Brandon Sutter to Edmonton for their 2015 first rounder.

- Send Chris Kunitz, Brian Dumoulin, Craig Adams and Marc-Andre Fleury to Winnipeg for Evander Kane, Anthony Peluso and Ondrej Pavelec (or Michael Hutchinson, or even Peter Budaj).

Keep the kids. Let them play.

Kane-Crosby-Hornqvist
Dupuis-Malkin-Bennett (Downie in the meantime)
Comeau-Goc-Downie (Ebbett for now?)
Sill-Spaling-Peluso

Ehrhoff-Despres
Harrington-Letang
Maatta-Bortuzzo

Greiss
Winnipeg reject

Three things. First Edmonton would never ever consider that deal. A, it doesn't do anything for them. B Martin isn't likely to waive his NTC for Edmonton. And C, even though it does make them a better team, they're not going to be contenders... and will still be in a hell of a fight just to make the playoffs... which means that 1st is (best case) still an early to mid one. It's just not going to happen.

Secondly, Winnipeg also wouldn't accept that deal. Sure they get an upgrade from Pavelec to MAF (which would be the deal done due to salaries), but Kane to Kunitz? No picks, no futures, and MAF is a FA? Yeah can't imagine any circumstances that Winnipeg even considers this.

Thirdly, that lineup is ****ing awful. Harrington hasn't played an NHL game yet, but you have him in the top 4. Ebbett on the 3rd line!? He's barely 4th line player. Greiss isn't a starting goalie - hell he's never even come close to pretending to be one.

We don't need to tank (which that lineup would not do), to be successful in the coming years. Move Sutter+ for Perron. Suddenly our forward group looks a LOT better.

Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Malkin - Bennett
Dupuis - Goc - Downie
Sill - Spaling - Adams/whomever

If there's a deal to move Martin and get some young F prospect (someone out of Anaheim) then do it. (McGinn, Palimari, etc). If he's not going to sign, and we can get some solid futures (1st, decent prospect, etc), I'd do that too. MAF is a concern... however going to Griess isn't the answer. Sadly, like with Adams and probably Scuderi we're just going to have to suck it up and hang onto MAF for now - simply due to a lack of options.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=32663&navid=nhl:topheads

Will the Pittsburgh Penguins look to move Paul Martin sooner rather than later for a top-six forward, making room for Derrick Pouliot or Scott Harrington? -- @azzurri0108

That's not something I would consider right now. I would not tinker with the defense and make it younger and less experienced just to add another scorer to a lineup that already has a lot of firepower.

The Penguins use Martin in all situations and as a top-pair defenseman with Olli Maatta. It's hard to replace those minutes, particularly when you're talking about bringing a young defenseman into the lineup.

Martin is in the last season of his contract, but the Penguins should be in the race for first in the Metropolitan Division (they're the favorites) and I would not mess with that. They may not re-sign him in the offseason, but they shouldn't trade him just because his contract is expiring.

Pouliot and Harrington will have their chance, but it can't hurt to continue to develop while waiting.

Trading Paul Martin wouldn't change our status in the race for the Metropolitan Division (and beyond). We have players ready to step into his shoes. It's better to be proactive than be stuck in a situation where we have a player bound for a certain destination whose value dwindles basically on a daily basis. Every day that goes by, Martin gets a little closer to signing with Minnesota.

Three things. First Edmonton would never ever consider that deal. A, it doesn't do anything for them. B Martin isn't likely to waive his NTC for Edmonton. And C, even though it does make them a better team, they're not going to be contenders... and will still be in a hell of a fight just to make the playoffs... which means that 1st is (best case) still an early to mid one. It's just not going to happen.

Secondly, Winnipeg also wouldn't accept that deal. Sure they get an upgrade from Pavelec to MAF (which would be the deal done due to salaries), but Kane to Kunitz? No picks, no futures, and MAF is a FA? Yeah can't imagine any circumstances that Winnipeg even considers this.

Thirdly, that lineup is ****ing awful. Harrington hasn't played an NHL game yet, but you have him in the top 4. Ebbett on the 3rd line!? He's barely 4th line player. Greiss isn't a starting goalie - hell he's never even come close to pretending to be one.

We don't need to tank (which that lineup would not do), to be successful in the coming years. Move Sutter+ for Perron. Suddenly our forward group looks a LOT better.

Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Malkin - Bennett
Dupuis - Goc - Downie
Sill - Spaling - Adams/whomever

If there's a deal to move Martin and get some young F prospect (someone out of Anaheim) then do it. (McGinn, Palimari, etc). If he's not going to sign, and we can get some solid futures (1st, decent prospect, etc), I'd do that too. MAF is a concern... however going to Griess isn't the answer. Sadly, like with Adams and probably Scuderi we're just going to have to suck it up and hang onto MAF for now - simply due to a lack of options.

So both Edmonton and Winnipeg don't do the deals, and yet our lineup becomes awful as a result? Fair enough.

We don't need to add anything to Brandon Sutter to get David Perron. Why would we? Wait them out.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
You can be both young and good. I'm not saying you trade for nothing in return. The Pens need forward thinking. When GM's think in terms of only this year and going all in, this will lead to the destruction of the team. A coach can think in terms of one year at a time, a GM can't. This was one of the big downfalls of Shero, constantly being pimped for "going for it". Reality is, even if you win, it will be next year soon enough.

:handclap::yo:

The fact that Malkin's position is gated on Beau Bennett's injury... seems very troubling to me.

It's not quite as (bad) as determining Jarome Iginla (future HHOF'er)'s position based on Pascal Dupuis, but it's in the same ballpark.

If this Malkin-on-the-wing experiment goes any longer than 5-10 games, I'll start to get very concerned.

I wish we didn't constantly have malcontents on the 3rd line that think they're capable of doing more. Brandon "26 point" Sutter thinks he is a 2nd liner now apparently. While he's performed at that level since the trade deadline, I am still skeptical.

They say Malkin will play RW for two more games. Let's see if they keep their word.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
They say Malkin will play RW for two more games. Let's see if they keep their word.

This is how drama gets started on this board. "They" never said this. Listen to what he actually said before you're going off during game 5.

penguins2946*

Malkin will probably stay at wing until Bennett comes back, which really isn't a big issue. It's like 10 games.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
They said at least two more games.

And they won't. This will almost certainly go on for a while.

Yeah Johnston seemed to allude to keeping Malkin with Sutter until Bennett comes back. Then he said the plan all along (once Beau was injured) was to play Malkin on the wing for at least the first 4 games.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
It's an opinion, so no, I don't know for certain.

But........ How big of a difference maker has Martin been in the playoffs since he first laced them up with the Pens? Those are the facts that I used to form my opinion.

It's quite possible they lose to the islanders without him. 1G 5A +5; not a minus in a single game.

Personally I think he's been our best playoff defensemen overall in the last few years. I'm sure you can find cases where he's screwed up, but I dont think anyone on our roster has been better in the playoffs in the last 2 years.

Last edited:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Yeah Johnston seemed to allude to keeping Malkin with Sutter until Bennett comes back. Then he said the plan all along (once Beau was injured) was to play Malkin on the wing for at least the first 4 games.

I think they're just looking to see if they can survive with Dupuis-Malkin-whoever on Line 2 before Bennett returns. I also think they're buying some time, showcasing Sutter and putting him in a prominent scoring role. Only makes sense to put him in a position to succeed.

With Crosby, Malkin, Goc, Spaling, Sill, Sundqvist and Uher in the system, we don't need Sutter. Make him look good early, boost his value, trade him for a winger to play on Line 2.

That sounds like a good idea to me.

Keep Malkin on the wing for any extended period of time, now that sounds like a bad idea to me.

I believe there are more good ideas than bad ideas in our current regime's DNA.

It's quite possible they lose to the islanders without him. 1G 5A +5; not a minus in a single game.

Personally I think he's been our best playoff defensemen overall in the last few years. I'm sure you can find cases where he's screwed up, but I dont think anyone on our roster has been better in the playoffs in the last 2 years.

That bar isn't very high when you were the top defenseman on the Pens the last 2 years.

Who cares. They'll all look better with Bylsma gone. We don't need Martin anymore.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't understand why some people are so hellbent on trading Kunitz. We have 2 actual top-6 wingers, why would we trade 1 of them?

I don't think many are. I would look at trading him... likely as soon as this off season, but I don't think it makes sense to look to do it now... but I would want to do sooner rather than later. Wouldn't want a lot, but someone close to NHL ready (Etem, Palmari, etc) would be good. Allows Pittsburgh to get younger, shed salary, while still being competitive. But before it can be considered, we would really need to improve our overall winger situation first.

"it's better to move a player a year to soon than a year to late" couldn't be more true. Kunitz is a very useful player for us... however at 35 (36 to start next season), it's really time to look past him. And the time will come when Kunitz at 3.8m starts to get less and less useful to us. We want to move him before that starts happening.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
As far as ufa's who might be available at the deadline, what about a Curtis Glencross type? 20+ goal average for awhile now (since 2010 I think), big winger too. Trade Dea + 2nd or Dumo + 3rd maybe?

Kunitz Crosby Hornqvist
Glencross Malkin Bennett
Dupuis Sutter Downie
Spaling Goc Comeau

Trade Scuderi for cap relief.

Or if they make two trades for a winger (unlikely):

Kunitz Crosby Hornqvist
Glencross Malkin Perron
Dupuis Goc Bennett
Comeau Spaling Downie

More realistic than the Kane type of trades imo. I'd like either of these playoff teams

I'd love to get Perron and Glencross. Not sure if Calgary moves CG for Dea and a 2nd, but I think he's someone who could help us. Basically a Kunitz lite, and a few years younger (32 in Dec). My only concern with him is he's not all that different than Hornqvist and Kunitz. His game is based on the dirty goals, hard work and a half decent shot. But it's not based on skill. I'd much rather go after someone with a little more skill to their game before going after more of what we already have. That said, Glencross could be a decent Kunitz replacement going forward if we could extend him and move Kunitz for a decent young player.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Edit: also, Glencross has a full NT/NMC and is to Calgary what Shane Doan is to Phoenix. Wants to marry the city.

He's also said (I forget where) that he won't be taking the same discount he took last time around. I expect him to be getting something in the 4m range.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
So both Edmonton and Winnipeg don't do the deals, and yet our lineup becomes awful as a result? Fair enough.

We don't need to add anything to Brandon Sutter to get David Perron. Why would we? Wait them out.

Adding slightly isn't the end of the world. And waiting them out isn't the answer. Don't you think that every team in the league can look at them and see the same thing we can? I wonder how interested Montreal would be in Eller for Perron? Or Eller+ for Eberle. There's other teams with decent center depth that wouldn't mind adding a young top 6 winger.

Hell for cap reasons, we could probably get them to take Adams. Sutter, 3rd, Adams. Win, win.

As for them not doing those deals - they were ****** deals that theres no chance they would do. And whats worse is even if they did, we become a worse team off for it in the short term.

Trades (almost always) have to make sense for both parties. The ones you proposed didn't make sense for either party. You gave the other teams the shaft, and in the process made a very good team worse.

Last edited:

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
Adding slightly isn't the end of the world. And waiting them out isn't the answer. Don't you think that every team in the league can look at them and see the same thing we can? I wonder how interested Montreal would be in Eller for Perron? Or Eller+ for Eberle. There's other teams with decent center depth that wouldn't mind adding a young top 6 winger.

Hell for cap reasons, we could probably get them to take Adams. Sutter, 3rd, Adams. Win, win.

As for them not doing those deals - they were ****** deals that theres no chance they would do. And whats worse is even if they did, we become a worse team off for it in the short term.

Trades (almost always) have to make sense for both parties. The ones you proposed didn't make sense for either party. You gave the other teams the shaft, and in the process made a very good team worse.

Both Mckenzie and Duthie were on a Vancouver sports radio station this morning both talking up how Edmonton needs to do something ASAP both in terms of defense and center help. Gotta think Sutters name would be thrown out there. He would be a good fit in Edmonton

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think they're just looking to see if they can survive with Dupuis-Malkin-whoever on Line 2 before Bennett returns. I also think they're buying some time, showcasing Sutter and putting him in a prominent scoring role. Only makes sense to put him in a position to succeed.

With Crosby, Malkin, Goc, Spaling, Sill, Sundqvist and Uher in the system, we don't need Sutter. Make him look good early, boost his value, trade him for a winger to play on Line 2.

That sounds like a good idea to me.

Keep Malkin on the wing for any extended period of time, now that sounds like a bad idea to me.

I believe there are more good ideas than bad ideas in our current regime's DNA.

I really don't think Sutter is a guy that gets moved this year. Johnston has been consistent in his praise of Sutter and wanting Bennett with him. Neither Goc or Spaling can center an offensive type of 3rd line.

To me, Martin is the guy that needs to be traded for Malkin's winger. I'd prefer it to be sooner than later because his replacement needs time to get acclimated. I hope the plan is to give Harrington some games in place of Scuds over the next month or so to see where he's at. If he looks ready for 18min a game, then you can move Martin in the January time frame.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Both Mckenzie and Duthie were on a Vancouver sports radio station this morning both talking up how Edmonton needs to do something ASAP both in terms of defense and center help. Gotta think Sutters name would be thrown out there. He would be a good fit in Edmonton

Sure, but just as much as Edmonton needs center depth, they (and everyone else in the league) knows that Pittsburgh wants to upgrade their top 6 winger position. And as well as Sutter is playing now and late last year doesn't really change the fact that he's a poor #2C.

I think Sutter's value still isn't worth as much as Perron's. And even considering how desperately Edmonton needs another center, I don't think it's enough for them to make a bad trade when there's other teams in the league with the center depth to make a similar trade. Besides... this summer HF Edm fans wanted nothing to do with Sutter+ for Perron. The fact that they've changed their tune a bit should already be considered a win. Add something small, take the win and move on.

penguins2946*

If you were the Pens GM, and the Oilers called you offering Yakupov for Sutter, Despres and a 2nd, would you do it? I'm curious to hear what people say. We get a young guy with huge potential, and he would be money along Geno. I'm split, Yakupov would thrive here along Malkin and under Johnston without a doubt, and that deal could end up looking amazing if Yakupov reaches his ceiling of a legit top line sniper. However, that's a lot to give up for a young player who has (for the most part) struggled in his early career. We could probably get a more established and better player for that package.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
If you were the Pens GM, and the Oilers called you offering Yakupov for Sutter, Despres and a 2nd, would you do it? I'm curious to hear what people say. We get a young guy with huge potential, and he would be money along Geno. I'm split, Yakupov would thrive here along Malkin and under Johnston without a doubt, and that deal could end up looking amazing if Yakupov reaches his ceiling of a legit top line sniper. However, that's a lot to give up for a young player who has (for the most part) struggled in his early career. We could probably get a more established and better player for that package.

Yes, but I would sub out Depres if possible. But if they demanded Depres, then yes, make the move. Yak would be a beast paired with Malkin. You then could move Martin for a physical stay at home D instead of a wing. I also would then trade either Duper or Kunitz and call it a day.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I dunno. That's a tough one. Don't like moving Despres but eh... Yak could be a really, really good one.

Then again... the way he plays and some of the stuff he's said sets off all sorts of alarm bells. I don't know how much simply getting out of Edmonton and on to a good team would actually do him. Though I'm sure it would at least make a nominal difference.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010

I agree that he would do a lot better here than in Edmonton. He would get an opportunity to play with Malkin in an offsesive freindly environment. Dealing Despres probably means holding onto Martin (not necessarily a bad thing). Offering Dumolin instead would hurt the d core less this year and still allow a deal with Martin to be made to another team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad