Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-building Thread | All UFA/trade talk, speculation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Everyone said Ehrhoff wouldn't sign a 1 year contract, then that happened. No one knows what a player wants. Maybe Fleury realizes he won't get what he wants in free agency this year and he wants to wait a couple years to raise his value. We don't know.

I think the more likely scenario is that his agent will want to cash in with one last big contract. If he waits a couple more years, that last big contract will never happen.

Bernier is a guy I wish we had gone after. Maybe even Schneider. Bishop obviously would have been nice, but I only say that one with hindsight.

Bishop will become available again within 2 years, because Vasilevskiy is going to be special.

I think that's fair. Over a long time line he's middle of the road, with drastic swings from all star to complete flake in between.

And I think that's a big part of the problem. I think teams would much rather play in front of a very ordinary, average guy who plays more or less the same most of the time, than a spazz whose seismic shifts are epic and you never know what you're getting when the playoffs roll around.

It's high time to move on.

Michael8771*

i must be going insane. how can people be open to signing fleury? one playoff where he finally wasnt weakest link on the roster is enough to convince folks?

the guy delivered several of the all-time worst postseasons on some of the best teams in the league, year after year. there is no way one average postseason can make up for that.

you want to talk about a guy that embodies the country club atmosphere, its fleury. guy is the epitome of the underachieving that has plagued this team for years.
Quit being vague, do you think we should re-sign him or not?;)

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Goalie is a position that we're going to have to take a risk on. Unless Fleury plays lights out AND takes a short contract, it won't be worth signing him. Goalies are so fickle outside the top 3-5, unless you have one of those it's a crapshoot year-to-year. I'd rather we just sign or trade for two 27-year oldish guys for ~2M each and then play the hot hand all year. That would give us the cap space to do whatever we want elsewhere. We're just as likely to get a good postseason from randoms as we are from Fleury, we may as well have 3M of extra top 6 winger.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
The only way I'd give MAF another 4 or 5 year deal is if he is taking a big pay-cut... 3.5 / 4 or 5 year.

I's be cool with that.

3M for 3 years sort of thing, if Greiss works out then keep him around with Fleury but Greiss will likely start the playoffs for us. Would not mind trading for Bishop if TB wants a short term goalie instead, highly unlikely though.

Bishop
Greiss

works for me.

ObsessedCreative*

3M for 3 years sort of thing, if Greiss works out then keep him around with Fleury but Greiss will likely start the playoffs for us. Would not mind trading for Bishop if TB wants a short term goalie instead, highly unlikely though.

Bishop
Greiss

works for me.

What I think the organization is hoping happen is that TG comes in and basically steals the job from MAF as starter and they can hopefully lock him up long-ish term and save a lot of the cap him on a net minder there for 4 or 5 years until Jarry is ready to be the starter.

I really do think the pens want to have their net minder cap hit in and around 3 or 4 million not 5 - 5+

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

Bishop
Greiss

works for me.

Although someone will now post the big jumping to assumptions JPG, I stand by my assertion that the way events will unfold, TG will end up being our #1 or co #1 tender next year. I just can't see a lot of ways it could unfold that Fleury is back next year unless he really takes a friendly home-town deal as a co #1. Which is possible, because I don't know what organization would be willing to give him another 5x5 type deal.

Realistically, who are we bidding against if we wanted to re-sign Fleury?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Although someone will now post the big jumping to assumptions JPG, I stand by my assertion that the way events will unfold, TG will end up being our #1 or co #1 tender next year. I just can't see a lot of ways it could unfold that Fleury is back next year unless he really takes a friendly home-town deal as a co #1. Which is possible, because I don't know what organization would be willing to give him another 5x5 type deal.

Winnipeg if they can find a buyer (while eating cap) for Pavs. Other then Winnipeg there is no team that needs a goalie but Winnipeg would be tempted because his regular seasons, he piles on wins and WPG just wanna make the playoffs.

Country Mac

Violent Gents Unite
Apr 7, 2014
San Diego, CA
Do you guys think JR is working on bringing in a winger right now? Or will he wait til the deadline?

I'd think he has Marleau and Kane at the top of his list right now.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Do you guys think JR is working on bringing in a winger right now? Or will he wait til the deadline?

I think he's been asking about Kane or Wheeler a little but mostly focusing on this team during the pre season and how they are from game 1 to say game 20 before anything really changes.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I'd guess how KK develops, ie sticking or not, and BB health goes, would go a long way towards determining what JR does.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

You're looking at Buffalo, Edmonton, Minnesota, San Jose, and Winnipeg as the teams that could be interested in Fleury. Buffalo has 3 or 4 high end goalie prospects, so Fleury would be a short term guy there; Edmonton (Scrivens), Minnesota (Kuemper), and San Jose (Stalock) all have relatively unproven guys they hold in high regard.

Winnipeg is the only team that really NEEDS goaltending. They don't have much for prospects, and their current situation is really poor.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

If I was JR, I would consider my team well capable of winning games as is, provided Malkin is back soon.
Then I would 1: consider this a time to see what the new forwards are capable of. 2: consider this a time to let the guys I'd consider trading get some good minutes to show them off.... 3: and wait for a situation where teams get injuries that makes it more likely that they'd be in need of D-help.

Right now the market for D is really poor, and that being the case it's tough to see how we can get anything done without getting bent over.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Winnipeg and Edmonton for sure. Possibly Carolina, depending on Khudobin. Maybe Minnesota.

Really, any team that thinks they should be in the playoffs but perceives goaltending to be a reason they're not, or any playoff team with a real shaky future in net (Harding has to be pretty angry that he's not getting paid...and has MS...Minny's net situation is so, so volatile).

They'll look at all those 40 win seasons, his workhorse regular season work (Fleury is so, so rarely injured) and think maybe he can help them take the next step.

I don't advocate extending him, but there will be interest from other teams. He's not the worst starter in the NHL once you factor in everything. His ability to start 65 games every year is probably overlooked by fans in a way it wouldn't be by, for example, Chuck Fletcher.

Harding might be better than Flower in 20 game increments, but he also might miss the next 30 with muscle fatigue...or wake up blind one day.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

On that note, may as well link this.

http://www.pensinitiative.com/p/podcast.html

No idea who these people are. Someone in my twitter feed favorited this and it ended up in mine. Anyways, they did a long (and I mean long) interview with Yohe. The three real interesting things he says were

1. The coaches have decided they're going to have 3 scoring lines instead of a checking line. Bennett and Sutter is a combination that's here to stay (I like this, others won't)

2. He's convinced it's just a matter of time before JR cashes in some chips on D for one or more high profile wings. Wouldn't entertain the idea that this wouldn't be happening. Wouldn't give a playoff prediction because "I don't know who Rutherford's going to have on the top two lines by then" (or something like that).

3. A player who left in free agency said of the Penguins "This is the most joyless group I've ever been on a team with in my life"

penguins2946*

I would be downright shocked if JR didn't bring in another top-6 winger by the deadline. He has emphasized that the Pens do need a top-6 winger or 2, and he's not someone who is trigger shy.

torrencemd

Jun 27, 2006
On that note, may as well link this.

http://www.pensinitiative.com/p/podcast.html

No idea who these people are. Someone in my twitter feed favorited this and it ended up in mine. Anyways, they did a long (and I mean long) interview with Yohe. The three real interesting things he says were

1. The coaches have decided they're going to have 3 scoring lines instead of a checking line. Bennett and Sutter is a combination that's here to stay (I like this, others won't)

2. He's convinced it's just a matter of time before JR cashes in some chips on D for one or more high profile wings. Wouldn't entertain the idea that this wouldn't be happening. Wouldn't give a playoff prediction because "I don't know who Rutherford's going to have on the top two lines by then" (or something like that).

3. A player who left in free agency said of the Penguins "This is the most joyless group I've ever been on a team with in my life"

Interesting, I wonder which one said it... I can't imagine it be Nisky or Orpik. Anyone one else and I could give two sharts about. Probably Glass...

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Man did DB and Shero **** this team up if that's true....all you hear from players is how bad it was, and now that they are gone everyone seems so happy. Even us at HFBoards can feel the....joyless! i felt like i was being poisioned and was slowly dieing watching this team. I was ready to quit watching hockey, too much toxic stuff going on and there was ZERO to cheer for with a coach setting the team up to fail every single time. Rewarding good play with benching for many games, and rewarding bad play with more minutes. I don't think i've ever in my life seen such a Pejorative Slured coach in my life. Why win when we can fail again and again....and again and again and again and again and never learn why.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Interesting, I wonder which one said it... I can't imagine it be Nisky or Orpik. Anyone one else and I could give two sharts about. Probably Glass...
Glass told Yohe directly over the summer that he wasn't being offered a new contract by the Pens. He'd be my best guess for that quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad