Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-building Thread | All UFA/trade talk, speculation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
A player who left in free agency said of the Penguins "This is the most joyless group I've ever been on a team with in my life"

Tanner Glass

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
1. The coaches have decided they're going to have 3 scoring lines instead of a checking line. Bennett and Sutter is a combination that's here to stay (I like this, others won't)

Acquiring another winger - which Yohe refers to - would help immensely obviously. Plus, the play of a guy like Kapanen is another factor.

2. He's convinced it's just a matter of time before JR cashes in some chips on D for one or more high profile wings. Wouldn't entertain the idea that this wouldn't be happening. Wouldn't give a playoff prediction because "I don't know who Rutherford's going to have on the top two lines by then" (or something like that).

The question then becomes who. By 'chips', I'm assuming he means prospects and not Paul Martin. More and more I'm opening up to the idea of dealing Martin.

3. A player who left in free agency said of the Penguins "This is the most joyless group I've ever been on a team with in my life"

Guess they needed to play more wiffle ball.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Also some interesting Babcock stuff in there. Not Pens and Babcock stuff, just what it's like dealing with him. Like, at one point he wandered off mid-sentence to go mingle with two other guys. The Detroit media would like nothing more than to never deal with him again. Ditto the wings veterans. That tape recorder off, he's the most hockey-smart guy Yohe's ever encountered. Just some cool stuff.

Stempniak?

That would be my guess. Most of the other guys considered re-signing to at least some degree. Well, Engelland probably didn't, but that doesn't seem like a DE quote.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
That's who I thought of. Orpik, Niskanen, Engelland, Glass, Jokinen, Vokoun and Stempniak were the UFA's off the top of my head.

Such a miserable team possibly having people who miss Bylsma is interesting, to me. What the hell was going on there? :laugh:

It's called a country club atmosphere. Divisions created by a GM and a Head Coach who played favorites & let room politics take hold and didn't push their players for results. That atmosphere is now being changed and as Yohe said the other day this team became "stale" even in some players eyes and that's why you fire GM's and Coaches.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Also some interesting Babcock stuff in there. Not Pens and Babcock stuff, just what it's like dealing with him. Like, at one point he wandered off mid-sentence to go mingle with two other guys. The Detroit media would like nothing more than to never deal with him again. Ditto the wings veterans. That tape recorder off, he's the most hockey-smart guy Yohe's ever encountered. Just some cool stuff.

That would be my guess. Most of the other guys considered re-signing to at least some degree. Well, Engelland probably didn't, but that doesn't seem like a DE quote.

He will sign a 2 year deal with Detroit, meaning Johnston gets 3 years then Babcock is ours.

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
So, now that the Islanders have snapped up all the available D men on the market, could Martin's value go up? Rumor was that Anaheim was interested in Boychuk, now that he is taken, would they be willing to pay a premium for Martin?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Yeah, if a pending UFA Boychuk is worth two seconds and a conditional third, a pending UFA Martin could be worth a first, or second + young winger maybe.

It would be nice to make him available now and see what happens.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Yeah, if a pending UFA Boychuk is worth two seconds and a conditional third, a pending UFA Martin could be worth a first, or second + young winger maybe.

It would be nice to make him available now and see what happens.

I don't know if Anaheim would do it, but I'd totally entertain Martin for Maroon + a pick. 26-year-old power forward who appears to be primed for a breakout season. The hitch in this plan is that Anaheim really likes Maroon, and have been using him on the top line some in training camp.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
I don't know if Anaheim would do it, but I'd totally entertain Martin for Maroon + a pick. 26-year-old power forward who appears to be primed for a breakout season. The hitch in this plan is that Anaheim really likes Maroon, and have been using him on the top line some in training camp.

They have so many other nice wingers signed to sweet deals... D.Smith-Pelly, K.Palmieri, Silfverberg, Etem, M.Beleksey, P.Maroon. R.Rackell...

They can afford to let one of them go for a very reliable Dman like Martin... not sure they have the cap space though.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
I could see them being very very interested in Beau Bennett given that he's from California & very good friends with E.Etem...
Perhaps Bennett can be of interest for a couple of wingers including Palmieri & another young winger that's not as injury prone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad