2014-15 OUA Regular Season

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
With the OUA's imbalanced schedule this year, does anyone know how they'll be deciding home ice advantage for the Queen's Cup game and the bronze medal/Nationals wildcard berth game? We know if the QC game involves a team from Quebec, the game will be at the West div champion, but I'm not sure how they'll decide it otherwise (or for the third place game). Point percentage, maybe?

TFuel

Feb 27, 2013
Flying to Guelph today to take in the final two regular season games as they fight for their playoff lives I am really looking forward to it. My son plays for Guelph and this is the end of his career when the season is done so my wife and I thought it fitting to see the last games in person.Where did the last 20 years go?

Should be two great games

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Flying to Guelph today to take in the final two regular season games as they fight for their playoff lives I am really looking forward to it. My son plays for Guelph and this is the end of his career when the season is done so my wife and I thought it fitting to see the last games in person.Where did the last 20 years go?

Congrats on a successful career as a hockey parent :yo:

Guelph aren't done just yet!

thook

Jan 9, 2010

I love this. Congratulations and good luck, even tho Guelph are fighting for a playoff spot with my Thunderwolves! Have a great weekend!

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Three way tie for first in the east between McGill, UQTR and Carleton with two games left. Not sure on the tie breaker format.

That defeat against Concordia is gonna comeback to bite UQTR in the behind, because Carleton and McGill will end up with the home ice advantage unless there's a big surprise this week-end.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Guelph with a big win over Western a few nights back. Last night tonight, and I believe Laurier can still finish anywhere from 6-10. Winner between them and Lakehead gets in tonight. 1-1 after the first.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Crazy night with tons of meaningful games around the league.

Shame that Nipissing and Laurentian don't stream/cover their games anywhere.

Carleton and Laurentian tied 0-0 early in the 2nd.

Guelph has battled back to tie Waterloo at 2!

Even York's hanging around with Toronto.

Great stuff.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I watched the Queens v UQTR game from the start of the third period. Impressed with the entertainment value of the hockey as both teams were playing for a better playoff position. Queens tired the game with just seven seconds left in the third period and went on to win in the shootout. I'm not sure if Queens have enough scoring power but they do have one of the best goalies in the CIS in Kevin Bailie.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
OUA West playoff matchups are now set:

1. Windsor vs 8. Brock
2. Western vs 7. Lakehead
3. Waterloo vs 6 Guelph
4. Ryerson vs 5. Toronto

As is the norm with the west, you could make a case for an upset in each of the first round matchups. Not sure I'd want to be Western, they struggle to score 5-on-5, and they have to play game 1 on the road in a hostile environment, against a Wolves team that has some offensive upside.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
OUA West playoff matchups are now set:

1. Windsor vs 8. Brock
2. Western vs 7. Lakehead
3. Waterloo vs 6 Guelph
4. Ryerson vs 5. Toronto

As is the norm with the west, you could make a case for an upset in each of the first round matchups. Not sure I'd want to be Western, they struggle to score 5-on-5, and they have to play game 1 on the road in a hostile environment, against a Wolves team that has some offensive upside.

I agree - Lakehead was probably the one team Western did not want to face in the first round. You are right that they have had trouble - especially lately - scoring at even strength, and the other problem they've had this year don't play well when they are behind.

I've always felt that because Lakehead has traditionally been a strong home team with a big crowd, they have a distinct advantage when they are the lower seed and start at home - at least against Western. Since the Lakehead program returned in 2001, they have played Western 6 times in the playoffs - always as the lower seed so always starting at home. They won that home game 5 out of 6 times and won 4 out of the 6 series.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Lakehead got in with their 3-2 victory over Laurier last night. It was unfortunate to see Laurier miss the playoffs this year, all by one point. With all their games played with intramural goalies, hard not to think if they could have won one on their trip to Laurentian/Nipissing when they put up I think 9 goals in the 2 games.

I think the Guelph Waterloo series could also be of interest. They split with each other this year, each of the games were one goal games. Guelph is also on a 3 game winning streak, beating Western and Waterloo back to back. Both times I saw them play Laurier they won easily.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Crazy night indeed with Carleton and UQTR both losing, killing the three way tie.

Starting on wednesday:

McGill vs Concordia
Carleton vs UOIT
UQTR vs Nipissing
Laurentian vs Queen's

UQTR should feel lucky they won't face Queen's. They've played bad since three weeks and with the kind of goalkeeping Kevin Baillie has given the Gaels, an upset might have been in the books.

lakeheadu

Mar 26, 2010
I agree - Lakehead was probably the one team Western did not want to face in the first round. You are right that they have had trouble - especially lately - scoring at even strength, and the other problem they've had this year don't play well when they are behind.

I've always felt that because Lakehead has traditionally been a strong home team with a big crowd, they have a distinct advantage when they are the lower seed and start at home - at least against Western. Since the Lakehead program returned in 2001, they have played Western 6 times in the playoffs - always as the lower seed so always starting at home. They won that home game 5 out of 6 times and won 4 out of the 6 series.

Agree that's an advantage for us. Unfortunately works against us at times when we are the higher seed too though.

As for the series, whether or not we have any shot at all will come down to if we can get any goaltending. Bosch continually getting these crazy injuries is killing us this season. McDonald just doesnt cut it, at least at this point in his career. The other big loss was losing Ainsworth last week with the broken ankle. Aside from Hammond he has been our best offensive player this season. Our record sucks but there were so many games that could have been won with some goaltending, including those against the top seeded teams.

We got 1 of 4 points vs Windsor but arguably could have won both. Windsor won one by scoring twice with a minute left and then won the other in OT.

We split with Western and then we lost both to Waterloo despite scoring 10 goals against them. That's what happens when you allow 13 goals on 69 shots.

Looking forward to watching the series play out. I was hoping to play Western, not for any strategical reason but just because it's always fun with that rivalry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad