2014-15 OUA Regular Season

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
OUA needed its own thread.

Looks like McGill is turning it up while UQTR is slowing down. Windsor has been consistent in the West but I wouldn't be surprised to see Western take the division.
Ryerson may be an up and coming team.

I guess the big question is will RMC win a game this year? ;)

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
A couple of morning games on schedule this week. I'm guessing it is a promotion they do with local schools?

Yep, Laurier-Waterloo is a school day game as well - the second year Laurier has hosted this type of event with Waterloo as an opponent.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Waterloo looked really damn good up here this weekend.

I think it's unfortunate with the playoff structure (just one berth for OUA West and East, and then an at-large bid) that one of McGill, Carleton, or UQTR is going to miss out on the expanded University Cup. All three are quality teams, top-10 teams, and deserve to be there.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com

I think it's unfortunate with the playoff structure (just one berth for OUA West and East, and then an at-large bid) that one of McGill, Carleton, or UQTR is going to miss out on the expanded University Cup. All three are quality teams, top-10 teams, and deserve to be there.

The 'at-large' bid you speak of is the OUA Bronze game. The selection of the team is not based on rankings or record, so it's not really an 'at-large' bid.

Same could be said for most conferences; AUS has UNB, SMU and ACD - one will not go. CW has ALB, CAL and MRU, one of them be left behind.

I'd like to see Carleton make it because it would be some new blood and UQTR and McGill haven't done much over the past 10 years. I know McGill was a Silver in '11 and Gold in '12, but for two teams that almost always go to Nationals, they have pretty poor overall records at the tournament.

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
I guess the big question is will RMC win a game this year? ;)

Well when your starting goalie (Evan Deviller) goes down twice in a month with an injury, your should be backup on the sidelines till January cause the school changed the entrance rules last minute and have 2 goalies with zero junior experience (some AAA and Rep B) aged 18 and 20, it would be tough to win games. Not saying it as its an excuse cause RMC has scored enough goals in many games, just can't stop them all. Ask "Connor McDavid" from Carleton on how good our goalie is, saved 55 of 59 against Carleton in a 4-2 Carleton win, many of them unreal.

RMC is a 2nd half team historically anyways.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto

To be honest, I don't really mind it. Under the old system (of the 6 team nationals) there were a number of years where either the OUA hosted or had the wildcard (like last year) and sent 3 teams, requiring the AUS or CW (generally the stronger conferences) to only send one. Despite having a greater number of teams, the OUA has only produced one winner in the last 10 years.

While the new system may be criticized for its single elimination format, I had always been most interested in the nationals that ended up with 2-2-2 (OUA-CW-AUS) as you also got to see matchups that you normally wouldn't, so I am a fan that at every conference gets at least 2.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Well when your starting goalie (Evan Deviller) goes down twice in a month with an injury, your should be backup on the sidelines till January cause the school changed the entrance rules last minute and have 2 goalies with zero junior experience (some AAA and Rep B) aged 18 and 20, it would be tough to win games. Not saying it as its an excuse cause RMC has scored enough goals in many games, just can't stop them all. Ask "Connor McDavid" from Carleton on how good our goalie is, saved 55 of 59 against Carleton in a 4-2 Carleton win, many of them unreal.

RMC is a 2nd half team historically anyways.

Spoke with Waterloo coach Brian Bourque about RMC the other night when they came through town (they'd played in Kingston the night before). He basically said what everyone knows: they're a hard-working team but injuries in net have hurt them.

If Deviller returns in net, they could upset somebody.

RMC worked their tails off when they came up to Carleton, but they just don't have the talent to knock off any team that's .500 or better. They nearly beat Laurier, but the only potential wins I see for them are v.Toronto (Jan. 30th) and @Guelph (Jan. 12th).

Last edited:

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
RMC worked their tails off when they came up to Carleton, but they just don't have the talent to knock off any team that's .500 or better.

That summarizes pretty much every RMC team in the past 20 years. Harder working but less talented than the other teams in the league, and can win a fair share of games if they have strong goaltending.

RMC's best years came in the mid-2000's when they had 3 top Jr. A goalies in succession. But this year's scores reflect their unenviable goaltending situation, not a truly poor team.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Waterloo wins their fifth straight game, beating Laurier 4-3 in a school day game. Sets up a pretty big game on Friday night when the Warriors visit Windsor.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Huge game tonight at Carleton. Ravens (#8 in the country) host UQTR (#7). Winner will move into (at least a co-share of) first-place.

Massive one 24 hours later, as the Ravens will visit McGill tomorrow night.

Talk about a tough 48 hours.

As always, catch tonight's Ravens home game on OUA TV. Pre-game at 6:50.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Waterloo D Adam Bignell has left the team to return to the Belleville Bulls. He'll finish his OA season there this year, and he's planning on rejoining Waterloo in September.

He's a great penalty killer and unreal shot blocker, so the loss will hurt. However, it'll be somewhat mitigated because the Warriors will be getting veteran D's Robin Clarke and Sam Caldwell back from co-op terms.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Tough luck for RMC last night. Loose in double OT to Concordia (the second worst team in the East). Next best opportunity for a win will probably be against Guelph.

thook

Jan 9, 2010
Too bad Lakehead continues to be mediocre. They have the best fan support in the CIS.

It's tough to watch the team be worse year after year. This year has been tough, seems like all the top guys have been hurt. Hopefully they will be back for the second half. Adding sefton will help. I know they are looking for other players for the second half still. Hopefully they can get one or two more.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Ravens lost 6-2 to McGill last night in Montreal, despite outshooting the Redmen 51-17.

PP went 1-for-8...make them 1-for-37 their last six games.

Weird game. Dupuis wasn't bad in net, McGill just had a lot of quality chances on their seventeen shots while a lot of Carleton's shots were from the outside with minimal traffic.

Despite the loss, this weekend proved CU they can play with the big boys again this season.

Not searching for excuses, but Carleton had to travel to McGill on less than 24 hours rest to play a team with 2.5 days' rest that was waiting for them. What gives? Is OUA scheduling always this random?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad