2014-15 Offseason Roster Discussion Thread - Part VI - Oh hey, look at that... a 2C

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Not happy with Bowman's body of work, but he killed it with the Richards signing. For once, he actually did make a move to improve the team and fill our biggest need. Where we're you most of the 4 years before this one? Bowman gets a well earned reprieve this year.

Last edited:

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Unless there are some moves that make a difference expect the same. NO CUP!

Okay, I'm breaking my own rule here because I'm pretty sure this will not change your mind, but I'm compelled to point out the obvious to you - the Hawks won the Cup in 2013 with pretty much the same team.

You do understand that a team can't win the Cup every year don't you? I won't get into a debate with you on your assessment of the players and coach other than to say your opinion is in the minority and not only from Hawks fans.

And then there's the criticism of Stan for "doing nothing" with nary a mention of the Salary Cap constraints he has to work under.

But, it's easy to criticize.

Hawknut 1

Jul 26, 2014
Okay, I'm breaking my own rule here because I'm pretty sure this will not change your mind, but I'm compelled to point out the obvious to you - the Hawks won the Cup in 2013 with pretty much the same team.

You do understand that a team can't win the Cup every year don't you? I won't get into a debate with you on your assessment of the players and coach other than to say your opinion is in the minority and not only from Hawks fans.

And then there's the criticism of Stan for "doing nothing" with nary a mention of the Salary Cap constraints he has to work under.

But, it's easy to criticize.

My opinion usually is the minority. If not, I would be drinking Kool-Aid and thinking that everything the Hawks do or are is just far out.

Stan created his own Salary Cap constraints.

Hawknut 1

Jul 26, 2014
Stop posting while you're drunk. It's a bad look.

If I was drunk I would be making the same moves as Q and Bowman.

After coming within a whisker of playing in the Finals last year - how much do you think has to change? There is no point trying to convince someone that things are good when they are mired in negativity. The proof will be in the pudding. I hope your low expectations won't keep you from enjoying the parade next June.

It will be interesting to see all the excuses and complaining that we will see on this board in less then a year from now.

Did you watch Handzus last season? He was awful - it will not take much effort to be a massive upgrade on him. Last year's team was good enough to win a cup - it's just LA was a bit better. I suspect next year it will also come down to LA or Chicago. Maybe we will be the one with the OT goal then.

Zus was awful. No doubt about it. SO Awful that "Q" used him like he was the answer. Richards should be an upgrade but far from the answer. Yes, he is better than Zus who should never been traded for a 4th rounder. As a matter of fact, Bowman should have gotten a 4th rounder for taking Zus

Last edited by a moderator:

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
My opinion usually is the minority. If not, I would be drinking Kool-Aid and thinking that everything the Hawks do or are is just far out.

Stan created his own Salary Cap constraints.

Using absolute terms - "Everything ... is", "done nothing" means even you think your opinion can't stand without embellishment.

The Hawks don't have to be perfect, they just need to beat the other teams.

LarmerSavardSecord

Jun 12, 2010
Wicker Park
Okay, sounds like you agree that not much has changed (a side from Richards). Richards may be an upgrade from Zues. Yes, but how much? A lot you say? How? Richards is on his last tank of gas. That's why he is here.

SO once again Bowman the useless GM does nothing to improve the team that didn't win a CUP.
This coming season we could, should or probably will win a CUP?
Sounds like nothing but a dream. Why? Cause that's all it is since that's all it was last season.

Unless there are some moves that make a difference expect the same.
NO CUP!

The Koolaid drinkers in Vegas disagree with you. And everyone knows those guys are idiots.

Monday, August 11, 2014
19:00 2015 Stanley Cup betting odds- Outright

Chicago Blackhawks +682
Los Angeles Kings +900
Anaheim Ducks +1000
Boston Bruins +1100
Pittsburgh Penguins +1200
St. Louis Blues +1200
San Jose Sharks +1400
New York Rangers +1800

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
It's just so easy to be negative because the overwhelming odds are that we won't win. Even though we are big time cup favorites that still only translates to a 16% chance of winning. Then these "genius" posters can come back and talk about how they are right and we are all idiots, feeding their egos and loving very minute of saying "told you so!"

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
How do people see our PP units shaping up? Will we see Richards slotted on D with Leddy on the 2nd unit or could we possibly go 5 forwards with Toews, Kane, Shaw, Sharp, Richards in late game down-a-goal type situations?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
As proven already, we can have two pp units of all stars and it doesn't guarantee anything. Bad special teams coaching overcomes roster power

LarmerSavardSecord

Jun 12, 2010
Wicker Park
It's just so easy to be negative because the overwhelming odds are that we won't win. Even though we are big time cup favorites that still only translates to a 16% chance of winning. Then these "genius" posters can come back and talk about how they are right and we are all idiots, feeding their egos and loving very minute of saying "told you so!"

That's exactly right. No one should ever (intellectually) expect their team to win the cup in a single year no matter how good their roster is or even how they played in the regular season. Luck is too large of a factor. This fact is well documented.

(Good) GMs try to be sustainable contenders. The more shots you have the better your odds at the winning Cup - that year when a lot of things fall your way. This is the reality of the cap-era NHL and every smart hockey observer understands this.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
How do people see our PP units shaping up? Will we see Richards slotted on D with Leddy on the 2nd unit or could we possibly go 5 forwards with Toews, Kane, Shaw, Sharp, Richards in late game down-a-goal type situations?

It probably depends if they try to set up point shots with a man in front or use a motion offense. Shaw is the best guy screening the goalie. Bickell and Toews are probably next best. Richards is supposed to be adept at getting his shot through from the point and Leddy and Seabrook are pretty good at that too. Whenever TT gets to the Bigs, he is supposed to be a good PP guy too. Add Kane, Hossa, Sharp and Keith to the guys already listed and that's a lot of firepower but as always it will come down to how they mesh in whatever system they use ... in other words - who knows?

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I've been very much on the trade Oduya bandwagon, but I'm really starting to warm up to this roster...

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
TE Teravainen up, Cya Rozi/Versteeg
FORWARDS
Bryan Bickell ($4.000m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Brandon Saad ($0.764m) / Brad Richards ($2.000m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
Patrick Sharp ($5.900m) / Andrew Shaw ($2.000m) / Teuvo Teravainen ($0.894m)
Jeremy Morin ($0.800m) / Marcus Kruger ($1.325m) / Ben Smith ($1.500m)
Dennis Rasmussen ($0.793m) / Peter Regin ($0.650m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Duncan Keith ($5.538m) / Brent Seabrook ($5.800m)
Johnny Oduya ($3.375m) / Niklas Hjalmarsson ($4.100m)
Nick Leddy ($2.700m) / Stephen Johns ($0.800m)
David Rundblad ($0.785m)
GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($6.000m)
Antti Raanta ($0.750m)
BUYOUTS
Steve Montador ($0.000m)
Rostislav Olesz ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$60,000
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,409,295; BONUSES: $962,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $590,705

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-check out Chris Block's newest article http://thethirdmanin.com/2014/08/26...-camp-zagreb-icehogs-beach-try-out/#more-4068
1) I think Chris knows the most of anyone out there when it comes to the Hawks, including all the beat writers
2)seems like Teravainen will start with the Hawks
3) Stephen Johns moving to Chicago is interesting to me, he doesn't think it's a big deal but I kind of do. Creates a sort of thunder and lightning ad pair with Leddy that can be sheltered.
-trade Rozi and Versteeg for whatever
-this lineup has a 1A and 1B line and then a 2nd line and a third line. No more plugs on this roster.
-I love playing Bickell on the first line. Hopefully help him put up some crazy stats for a trade next summer.
-Love love LOVE playing Sharp with Teravainen. Turbo's passing with Sharps sniping with Shaw doing Shaw things in front of the net.
-you limit the number of guys getting "screwed" by staying in the minors. Dahlbeck and Clendening are the only NHL ready guys and they have a clear path to the lineup next year with Oduya and Leddy not being brought back.

Last edited:

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW

As proven already, we can have two pp units of all stars and it doesn't guarantee anything. Bad special teams coaching overcomes roster power
Basically, yes. I think we made addition by subtraction now that Kompon is no longer there (in related news, I also predited the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL, regardless of their performance in their upcoming season, to be dead last in the WHL and CHL for the PP ;)).

I would think Sharp needs to be off of the point--he doesn't work there.
I would also think that Leddy and Seabs should be the point on the 1st unit. Leddy carries the mail better than anyone on the team (with the possible exception of Kane), And Seabs can shoot from the point and doesn't hit the shins of the opposition with clockwork regularity.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
less than a month till preseason starts...when do you guys think a move will be made

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad