2014-15 Offseason Roster Discussion Thread - Part VI - Oh hey, look at that... a 2C

Status
Not open for further replies.

neodydan

Jul 4, 2011
It would be a ballsy move to offer sheet Johanssen. I wish Stan would do it. Probably same price as these free agents and better option than all of them. A legit young center with a future, not a rental. Better option than all others.

Losing next year's 1st, 2nd and 3rd would not hurt much, really. Looks like our drafting strategy is USHL to try to get players 5-6 years away.

It is a risky move, and way out of character for Bowman. Offer sheets rarely work, and it would piss off all his other GM buddies. They are all jealous and dislike the Hawks anyways, what with trying to fleece TT and all on draft day.

If it did work, the Hawks would have a great 1-2 center punch for years to come instead of a rental and then TT could ease his way in and we roll 3 formidable lines out there.

He is master of the cap? Wish he had the cajones to pull this off. I know, but one can dream. on the eve of free agency, can't one?

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Stan has said TT and Saad are untouchable. I agree with Saad being untouchable. I'm not so sure I agree with TT being untouchable though. They are running out of options now.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It would be a ballsy move to offer sheet Johanssen. I wish Stan would do it. Probably same price as these free agents and better option than all of them. A legit young center with a future, not a rental. Better option than all others.

Losing next year's 1st, 2nd and 3rd would not hurt much, really. Looks like our drafting strategy is USHL to try to get players 5-6 years away.

It is a risky move, and way out of character for Bowman. Offer sheets rarely work, and it would piss off all his other GM buddies. They are all jealous and dislike the Hawks anyways, what with trying to fleece TT and all on draft day.

If it did work, the Hawks would have a great 1-2 center punch for years to come instead of a rental and then TT could ease his way in and we roll 3 formidable lines out there.

He is master of the cap? Wish he had the cajones to pull this off. I know, but one can dream. on the eve of free agency, can't one?a

John Davidson has shown he will strike back

TCD Travesty

Mar 30, 2014
We need a center?! Since when? Who knew about this? Meh, should be easy enough to handle. Probably within the hour.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

He is master of the cap? Wish he had the cajones to pull this off. I know, but one can dream. on the eve of free agency, can't one?

Eek, all that will happen is Columbus matches and then they start gunning for our RFA's - starting with Saad next summer. We desperately need a center - but I'm not on board with that one.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Stan has said TT and Saad are untouchable. I agree with Saad being untouchable. I'm not so sure I agree with TT being untouchable though. They are running out of options now.

I think a bigger problem than Saad/Teuvo is our cap space - and if we're going to try to sign a 2c (which seems a better solution than what's available on a trade) then moving either of them won't clear enough space, leaving aside the fact Bowman doesn't want to.

The only player I would have considered trading Teuvo for is Kesler.

Spezza's just not worth getting here, at any cost, given he's in the final year of his contract and has a $7m aav cap hit.

Eek, all that will happen is Columbus matches and then they start gunning for our RFA's - starting with Saad next summer. We desperately need a center - but I'm not on board with that one.

I wouldn't be that worried about any of our worthwhile prospects signing an offersheet from that team.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
TT shouldn't be untouchable if you can find a longterm solution

I'm not saying you don't treat him as a very valuable asset - but you have to give to get.

I would not give up TT for one year of Spezza. Looking back now - maybe it would have been worth moving him for Kesler? But we all know what da coach says about people that live in the past. What's done is done.

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
UFA Centers available

Richards, Brad » C NYR 34 $6,666,667 2014 (UFA)
Stastny, Paul » C COL 28 $6,600,000 2014 (UFA)
Ribeiro, Mike » C ARI 34 $5,500,000 2014 (UFA)
Jokinen, Olli » C WPG 35 $4,500,000 2014 (UFA)
Legwand, David » C DET 33 $4,500,000 2014 (UFA)
Roy, Derek » C STL 31 $4,000,000 2014 (UFA)
Koivu, Saku » C ANA 39 $3,500,000 2014 (UFA)
Bolland, Dave » C TOR 28 $3,375,000 2014 (UFA)
Grabovski, Mikhail C WAS 30 $3,000,000 2014 (UFA)
Ott, Steve » C STL 31 $2,950,000 2014 (UFA)
Fiddler, Vernon » C DAL 34 $1,800,000 2014 (UFA)
Boyle, Brian » C NYR 29 $1,700,000 2014 (UFA)
Goc, Marcel » C PIT 30 $1,700,000 2014 (UFA)
McClement, Jay » C TOR 31 $1,500,000 2014 (UFA)
Moore, Dominic » C NYR 33 $1,000,000 2014 (UFA)

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
TT shouldn't be available unless it's Pavelski or better. That won't happen

Stastny

Richards

Legwand/Goc/McClement

Bolland just asked for too much money

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
Teravainen is the ONLY prospect the hawks currently have that has a GOOD chance to be a top 6 forward. 6 cheap years of him is too valuable for a cap team like the hawks.

I was happy to hear Bowman saying he's untouchable. I'd like to think Hawks brass know more about him than us and they seem to think he's going to be a stud.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Assuming the team remains status quo once again this summer, it is becoming painfully obvious that Stan's ultra-conservative style is quietly catching up to us. Hawks are in reality quickly becoming a middle-of-the road team. I reckon Kings, Avs, Blues, Ducks are all seeded ahead of us going into this season, with Wild and Sharks right on our heels. That's what happens when (for years) you neglect (arguably) the two most important positions in hockey: center and in goal.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but we all witnesed how overmatched our bottom 6 was in the PO's, and to compound the issues we have, there is little cap space available to alleviate anything. It sounds also like T/K are going to milk as much money as they can when renewing their contracts, making our cap situation worse still. It's difficult to be optimistic for another SC run anytime soon.

neodydan

Jul 4, 2011
I'm pretty sure somebody would offer sheet Saad if he is not signed by July 1st next year. Bowman probably signs him in-season.

TCD Travesty

Mar 30, 2014
Assuming the team remains status quo once again this summer, it is becoming painfully obvious that Stan's ultra-conservative style is quietly catching up to us. Hawks are in reality quickly becoming a middle-of-the road team. I reckon Kings, Avs, Blues, Ducks are all seeded ahead of us going into this season, with Wild and Sharks right on our heels. That's what happens when (for years) you neglect (arguably) the two most important positions in hockey: center and in goal.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but we all witnesed how overmatched our bottom 6 was in the PO's, and to compound the issues we have, there is little cap space available to alleviate anything. It sounds also like T/K are going to milk as much money as they can when renewing their contracts, making our cap situation worse still. It's difficult to be optimistic for another SC run anytime soon.

Well heck, if the Hawks' window is slamming shut then why are we wasting time with T/K extensions? Gotta ship them out for picks and prospects. Get into the McDavid lottery.

Sorry, but the entire reason they're in this cap crunch is because they're so loaded outside of that #2C position. Meanwhile, all but one of the teams you mentioned passing the Hawks have played a game yet and didn't perform better last time they were tested. The Hawks are favorites to win next year. And though they don't play the games in Vegas they're favorites for a good reason.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
In less than a week, General Manager Bob Murray of the Anaheim Ducks has acquired two centers, Ryan Kesler and Nate Thompson.

In that same time frame, General Manager Stan Bowman has done nothing whatsoever to improve the center position for the Chicago Blackhawks. If I'm Patrick Kane, I'm not signing any extension whatsoever with the Chicago Blackhawks. If I'm Patrick Kane, Stan Bowman can have his precious pipsqueak Teuvo Teravainen replace me and suffer with stiffs at center like Michal Handzus in the future.

Thanks to Stan Bowman for the dynasty that never was, just to keep garbage on the payroll: Kris Versteeg, Michal Rozsival, David Rundblad, Drew Leblanc.

For some reason I find myself humming "Hysteria" by Muse.

The issue with trading TT is that there is no point in trading him for a 1-2 year solution, and what the Blackhawks would want- a young stud center on a good contract-well, the other team holding that player's contract would have no reason to trade that player for TT, who is an unproven commodity.

SLarmer28*

UFA Centers available

Richards, Brad » C NYR 34 $6,666,667 2014 (UFA)
Stastny, Paul » C COL 28 $6,600,000 2014 (UFA)
Ribeiro, Mike » C ARI 34 $5,500,000 2014 (UFA)
Jokinen, Olli » C WPG 35 $4,500,000 2014 (UFA)
Legwand, David » C DET 33 $4,500,000 2014 (UFA)
Roy, Derek » C STL 31 $4,000,000 2014 (UFA)
Koivu, Saku » C ANA 39 $3,500,000 2014 (UFA)
Bolland, Dave » C TOR 28 $3,375,000 2014 (UFA)
Grabovski, Mikhail C WAS 30 $3,000,000 2014 (UFA)
Ott, Steve » C STL 31 $2,950,000 2014 (UFA)
Fiddler, Vernon » C DAL 34 $1,800,000 2014 (UFA)
Boyle, Brian » C NYR 29 $1,700,000 2014 (UFA)
Goc, Marcel » C PIT 30 $1,700,000 2014 (UFA)
McClement, Jay » C TOR 31 $1,500,000 2014 (UFA)
Moore, Dominic » C NYR 33 $1,000,000 2014 (UFA)
All garbage except for Paul Stastny.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Well heck, if the Hawks' window is slamming shut then why are we wasting time with T/K extensions? Gotta ship them out for picks and prospects. Get into the McDavid lottery.

Sorry, but the entire reason they're in this cap crunch is because they're so loaded outside of that #2C position. Meanwhile, all but one of the teams you mentioned passing the Hawks have played a game yet and didn't perform better last time they were tested. The Hawks are favorites to win next year. And though they don't play the games in Vegas they're favorites for a good reason.

If you honestly believe that, you're dreaming. Oh, we won't be discounted entirely. We will be mentioned as a contender, but hardly the favourites. Add a Stastny, our odds go up, but can we afford it?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
If you honestly believe that, you're dreaming. Oh, we won't be discounted entirely. We will be mentioned as a contender, but hardly the favourites. Add a Stastny, our odds go up, but can we afford it?

Buy now, pay later.

SLarmer28*

The issue with trading TT is that there is no point in trading him for a 1-2 year solution, and what the Blackhawks would want- a young stud center on a good contract-well, the other team holding that player's contract would have no reason to trade that player for TT, who is an unproven commodity.
Cry me a river. TT has yet to prove a damn thing in the NHL.

Chicago Blackhawks management is in complete denial. The Chicago Blackhawks spent more money last season on a #6 defenseman (Michal Rozsival $2.20 million AAV) than on a second line center (Michal Handzus $1.00 million AAV). The Chicago Blackhawks spent more money last season on a #7 defenseman (Sheldon Brookbank $1.25 million AAV) than on a second line center (Michal Handzus $1.00 million AAV). The Chicago Blackhawks spent more money on Kris Versteeg ($2.2 million AAV) than on a second line center (Michal Handzus $1.00 million AAV). Rozsival, Brookbank, Versteeg accounted for $5.65 million in salary cap space while the second line center for the Chicago Blackhawks accounted for a measly $1.00 million.

If I am Patrick Kane, time to make a stand. Either it's me or Patrick Sharp. One has to go for the Chicago Blackhawks to finally resolve the second line center position. In addition, overpaid bums Kris Versteeg and Michal Rozsival need to get the boot, as well.

SLarmer28*

At this point, Grabovski might be worth a chance? But they'd have to move some salary first (Bickell most likely).
If Grabovski could not last one season under Coach Randy Carlyle, Grabovski would not last one day with Coach Q due to his defensive deficiencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad