Speculation: 2014-15 Off-Season Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I like what Barberio brings, we need more of that not less. He is unpolished and too eager at times but he got potential, he can help out our transition game.

It took him some time to get into the game but then he played great, only to be scratched, then he got a second chance, same there took a few games before he got the confidience but then played well.

Then Cooper tossed him into the third game of the playoffs, he had some good moments as well as some mistakes but thats expected for a rookie player.

With a bit of patience he could be a useful player, he got qualities that are not easy to obtain, put him together with a solid defensive d-man and that would be a good pair.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
Callahan had a fine playoffs. He was playing with an obviously injured and nowhere near 100% Flip and Teddy Purcell. Cally is not the kinda guy that can produce at a PPG despite his linemates. What he can do (and did) was forecheck, hit, and be a general pain in the ass for the opposing team.

Sens fan coming in peace. I recently moved to Central Florida from Binghamton, NY. I've watched a lot of Syracuse games over the past few years and a lot of Bishop when he was playing for us down in Binghamton.

I was at Game 2 this past weekend and the Callahan-Flip-Purcell line seemed to be the only line that could keep the puck in the offensive zone during the second half of the game. MTL was just sitting back in the neutral zone waiting the entire game. There wasn't much adjustment from the other lines, at least it didn't seem like it to me. As a neutral fan in this game, I have to say, you guys need someone who can play with Stamkos. He looks like he is on an island out there. Tyler Johnson is good and he seems to be able to have a little bit of chemistry with Stammer, but I think you need another top line winger. Hopefully that's Drouin.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I like what Barberio brings, we need more of that not less. He is unpolished and too eager at times but he got potential, he can help out our transition game.

It took him some time to get into the game but then he played great, only to be scratched, then he got a second chance, same there took a few games before he got the confidience but then played well.

Then Cooper tossed him into the third game of the playoffs, he had some good moments as well as some mistakes but thats expected for a rookie player.

With a bit of patience he could be a useful player, he got qualities that are not easy to obtain, put him together with a solid defensive d-man and that would be a good pair.

I'm worried about the ol' hockey IQ with him. He makes some truly dumb mistakes (see: first goal) that an NHL defenseman shouldn't make. He's got tools, but I'm not sure he'll ever figure out how to use them.

Agreed he's still a project worth working on - I'm just not terribly sure he'll ever put it together.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay

I like this article a lot. It's how we should be as a franchise. We have to be perfect to win against the big markets. The kids learned that this year.

Also, a top priority needs to be all the fans harassing the Bolts media people about changing the goal scoring song. At least that is something we could potentially influence. The current song sucks, and I think most people would agree with me on that one.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I'm worried about the ol' hockey IQ with him. He makes some truly dumb mistakes (see: first goal) that an NHL defenseman shouldn't make. He's got tools, but I'm not sure he'll ever figure out how to use them.

Agreed he's still a project worth working on - I'm just not terribly sure he'll ever put it together.

True, that remains to be seen I just reckon it's worth some patience, Hedman made some boneheaded mistakes in his first year(s) that made us question his hockey IQ, for some defenseman it just takes a bit longer to learn the game (not comparing Hedman and Barbs, just pointing it out)

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
You guys are going to be a force the next few years. Bishop injured, rookies are rookies, Drouin not there yet, just be patient.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

I pretty much agree.

TB seems to have a tougher road than other teams and that identity needs to be embraced. A team like the Bruins do, they get called hypocrites, but they persist.

Phil Esposito is a perfect person for the TB Lightning. He has cache, but he's willing to put himself out there, which I don't think we'd see from SFY. Having someone quasi powerful on their OFP isn't always a bad thing.

ot, but something that gets me about snobbery is the refusal to say 'Bay' in the team name. TB has had an NHL team for over 20 years, and major pro sports since the 70's, with each of those teams using 'Tampa Bay', but there's a persistence among both American and Canadian tv media to think they know better and call them the 'Tampa Lightning' which seems intentional at this point. They also tend to be the people who give the Lightning the hardest time and use it as another way to be disrespectful. They don't know enough about this team, or market, to get informal.

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Ok so I think Pyatt will be gone. Cooper always hesitated to play him (for whatever reasons) and we have a lot of young talented players knocking at the door.

What do we make of the Paquette call-up? Has he already established himself as a valid 3rd/4th line center? What about Namestnikov?

Purcell should be gone either via trade (oh please somebody take him) or buyout, Malone will most likely not be in our plans (buyout, out-clause, rehab) while guys like Drouin and Connolly will get a good chance (Connolly pretty much has to due to his waiver status) to make the team.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
Callahan had a fine playoffs. He was playing with an obviously injured and nowhere near 100% Flip and Teddy Purcell. Cally is not the kinda guy that can produce at a PPG despite his linemates. What he can do (and did) was forecheck, hit, and be a general pain in the ass for the opposing team.

And turn the puck over repeatedly. Many of the turnovers weren't impacted by his linemates. If we're in the playoffs next year and he has resigned, I would expect a stark improvement over this year's series.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I dont see much use of barberio and to put him with hedman so to speak is a major insult to hedman.

Barberio is too small he was reason on too many issues last goal is on him too. SIZE. Couldnt clear that guy.

He is not that great of a PMD we can get better. So I get is something there but to me is not enough to warrant being any type of long term solution.

Maybe he can turn it all around but he was a train wreck these last two games. That is me being kind. He about did as much wrong as possible. That is scary. I get we benched a long time etc. He is a vet though in terms of his resume being the ahl defender of year two years ago. All the time he spent down there in AHL. He is not bringing the game I expected whatsoever.

I would never want him even as high as our number 5 and dont think he is great pmd so whatever he can go anytime and I wont lose any sleep over it.

Ok so I think Pyatt will be gone. Cooper always hesitated to play him (for whatever reasons) and we have a lot of young talented players knocking at the door.

What do we make of the Paquette call-up? Has he already established himself as a valid 3rd/4th line center? What about Namestnikov?

Purcell should be gone either via trade (oh please somebody take him) or buyout, Malone will most likely not be in our plans (buyout, out-clause, rehab) while guys like Drouin and Connolly will get a good chance (Connolly pretty much has to due to his waiver status) to make the team.

I like paquette over crombeen next year so if have to just bury beanor

I really really really want namestnikov up next year have a feeling his style and hockey IQ will match drouin's and Palat's very well so he is an upgrade to a ton of guys on our team.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
IMO Only 2 things needed:

Cut the dead wood (Malone, Purcell, Pyatt, Lee, Aulie, Salo, Labrie etc...)

Get a RHD top pair partner for Hedman. UFA class this year has no legit #2 D so it will have to be a trade. You have got to give to get so it will be at least Killorn+ for just adequate, Kucherov+ true #2, or Drouin for young elite top pair stud.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Are we willing to give up Kucherov? I THINK we could land a top-2 D without involving him, but if we were willing to shop him, it would make the deal easier to get done. And maybe our options would expand. (I'm not sold on the idea though)

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
By the way - the D needs to get A LOT better. We can't expect .926+ from Bishop next season. .915-.920 is more reasonable - so the D is going to have to step up.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
We all agree that we need one or two upgrades on D. You have to give in order to get though. We won't acquire a top or 2nd pairing defenseman for Purcell or Panik. Are guys like Palat, Johnson or Filppula really safe?

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
We all agree that we need one or two upgrades on D. You have to give in order to get though. Who's expendable? Are guys like Palat, Johnson or Filppula safe?

Just MHO but I'd say Palat is safe. Johnson less so, but the return better be ******* amazing. Filppula just signed, so I don't see shipping him out yet. Mentioned above - Kucherov also requires a really nice return. Then there is a whole pile of guys I could see moving fairly easily: Brown, Killorn, Connolly, etc.

With the stable fairly empty on up-and-coming D (Koekkok is way behind in progression due to injury), we'll have to move some pieces to shore up our blueline.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Just MHO but I'd say Palat is safe. Johnson less so, but the return better be ******* amazing. Filppula just signed, so I don't see shipping him out yet. Mentioned above - Kucherov also requires a really nice return. Then there is a whole pile of guys I could see moving fairly easily: Brown, Killorn, Connolly, etc.

With the stable fairly empty on up-and-coming D (Koekkok is way behind in progression due to injury), we'll have to move some pieces to shore up our blueline.

I agree with this. I'd say Palat is pretty safe, Johnson safe, but a little less so. We have to give to get remember. Purcell and Connolly won't fetch us a number 2 anymore. The time to trade Connolly if we were going to, was after preseason. Purcell's ship sailed long ago.

I'm willing to deal anyone who isn't Stamkos, Hedman, Palat, or Filppula for a true, blue, number 2 d-man. Not many are likely to be available. We desperately need one, and so does everyone else. It'll take an enticing package.

I think Kevin Bieksa would be perfect. Experienced, slots right in at 2 or 3. He might be available, depending on Vancouver's retool.

Yzlamic Preacher*

I do not want to move Brown. To me he is a chocolate Thompson. He pretty much defines what you want on your bottom 6. Speedy, plays hard, and has hands. A little more development and a line with Chocolate Thompson and Nasty Nate will be very tough to play against.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

I don't agree with much you just said. If Killorn, Connolly and Brown are easily movable who are we going to play in there place? Why would we move out so many bodies?

Our D coming up isn't bad, we just don't have a top pair RD in the system. Koekkoek isn't too far behind even with missing most of the last two seasons, I think he can step into the lineup and be better then a few our of bottom pair players. Sustr looks like a #4 RD, Gudas can be a #4 but better on the bottom pair. Witkowski isn't too far away from being a solid bottom pair player, Sergeev and Nesterov can use another year while Dotchin and Blujus need a couple.

We need one big fish on D, Hedman-?, Carle-Sustr, Brewer-Gudas isn't terrible depending on who the ? Is. If we get any kind of improvement over Salo that D is better, Gudas being on the bottom pair makes that better the only question is Sustr but he looked like the best D when he was in vs Montreal.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
In the words of a store owner I once worked for, everything/everyone has its price.
Defense, defense, defense is where the organization needs the most help. If getting a top 4 dman or two means shopping some of the young forwards, so be it. The young forward and goaltender potential is strong is the system, while the organization needs blue line help in the worst way.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
In all respect hose we NEED TWO D. I say we actually need 3 D.

Letting a team of primarily midgets camp in front of the net for four games is a joke.

Guys I would target are

Bogosian Despres Bortuzzo Gelinas Orpik Tanev I named three pitt guys cause dont know who they keep or let go and think they sign niskanen back.

HOME RUN WOULD BE JOSI and would cost us a tyjo or kucherov. Maybe go after myers

Everyone seems to think we can get Larsson I say GOOD LUCK on that. I dont see him available myself with all the other options they have that is bad business for jersey they should keep merrill and larsson their two studs just like buffalo should keep its two in ristolainen and zadorov

I think jersey will make one or two guys available and will be severson and gelinas and not the others.

Ryan Ellis is a name coming up to look at. Vatanen might be available. People have mentioned methot but to me I dont see it he will sign a good cheap deal to stay at home in ottawa so again bad business.

I really want everyone gone Keep

Hedman and Gudas the rest? Besides Sustr I am whatever about. I want balance and that means moving certain guys like carle and brewer.

Koekoek might come blujus might be good dotchin might make it so we have some righties think nesterov will take some big steps this season.

Sustr I really like. I see no real potential for barberio. He is never going be a top four to me and he is not a great pmd so is a whatever about him.

So yes if we package some deals and get a couple guys? We will be much better off I would like three guys a guy who can fit into two who is physical and just plays smart stay at home hockey.

A guy who can move from 6 to 3 with no problem at any position or side. And a guy we can bury and let grow.

I dont see a bunch of good with this draft so going after some of these guys and even overpaying using the extra picks we have?

I am 100% for this.

In all fairness HOSE we need to let koekkoek prove he can make it a full year before bringing up. His development has really been hurt and put behind. I have high hopes but I wouldnt let him in the NHL yet. Let him grow at a decent pace it will pay off in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad