Speculation: 2014-15 Off-Season Talk - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why do we "need" another forward? We are set at forward for next year.

Palat-Johnson-Stamkos
Killorn-Filppula-Callahan
Kucherov-Drouin-Connolly
Brown-Paquette-Panik
Angeledis

Namestnikov will be the first call up. If we trade for Marleau it's gonna cost us a young forward or two and we lost all our depth with the trades today. We'd have to then add another forward via from agency to fill the vacancy. Why wouldn't we have keep Thompson and then moved a couple of the young forwards? Don't think SJ wants a 4th, 6th or 7th.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013

Palat-Johnson-Stamkos
Kucherov-Drouin-Connolly
Brown-Paquette-Panik
Angeledis

Namestnikov will be the first call up. If we trade for Marleau it's gonna cost us a young forward or two and we lost all our depth with the trades today. We'd have to then add another forward via from agency to fill the vacancy. Why wouldn't we have keep Thompson and then moved a couple of the young forwards? Don't think SJ wants a 4th, 6th or 7th.

My only guess is because of how young that lineup is.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
not really important but I'm counting 10 picks

|pick|
1|TBL 1st round|
2|NYR 1st round| (Marty trade)
| TBL 2nd round| (Callahan re-signing)
3|TBL 3rd round|
4|TBL 4th round|
5|ANA 4th round| (Thompson trade)
6|TBL 5th round|
7|TBL 6th round|
8|ARZ 6th round| (Gagner trade)
| VAN 7th round | (Garrison trade / traded to Wild to move up in '14 draft)
| TBL 7th round | (traded to NYI to move up in '14 draft)
9|NYR 7th round| (Callahan re-signing)
10|ANA 7th round| (Thompson trade)

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa

Palat-Johnson-Stamkos
Kucherov-Drouin-Connolly
Brown-Paquette-Panik
Angeledis

The third line has -20 plus/minus written all over it. Lots of talent and no balance.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Palat-Johnson-Stamkos
Kucherov-Drouin-Connolly
Brown-Paquette-Panik
Angeledis

Yeah, but we'd be about three injuries away from being decimated, particularly if Angelidis is on the main squad (I think that might actually happen though).

But I don't think we want to run with 10/13 players having <100 games of NHL experience. This isn't 2013/2014. ;)

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

Palat-Johnson-Stamkos
Kucherov-Drouin-Connolly
Brown-Paquette-Panik
Angeledis

too much youth wont work stevie has a plan everything he has done he verified first than made a move you can yell and scream like others are doing or know its happening but he is not done and something is coming in more than one d man. will be a vet leader solid two way player imho.

we are gonna lose someone we wont like probably but I see it happening. Otherwise why move nate we didnt need his money for any d man unless want to offer subban 8 million.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yeah, but we'd be about three injuries away from being decimated, particularly if Angelidis is on the main squad (I think that might actually happen though).

But I don't think we want to run with 10/13 players having <100 games of NHL experience. This isn't 2013/2014. ;)

If we traded for another forward I'm sure we'd have to move a forward in the deal, so the depth is still gonna be an issue regardless. If another forward was our intentions all along why not keep Thompson or Crombeen just for depth?

That lineup is ridiculously young but the top 6 is strong enough to carry the load while the bottom 6 get their feet wet. After a few months they should be able to expand their roles and see more contributions. There's also always a few vets who go unsigned we can pick up during the season if needed.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Just when we thought the season was enough of an Roller coaster. I am all right with the Purcell trade, but don't like the Thompson one that much, but it's not that bad.

Here are my predictions for the exciting day tomorrow all of a sudden is for our team.

Montoya as Backup
Leo Komarov will come in (we were rumored to be interested since March)
Another qualtiy bottom6 guy will make it to us. Boyle/Moore/Goc/...
One of the expedier defenders is ours. Preferably Fayne or Stralman.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
The Ignilia thing makes a lot of sense now. Adds experience to help balance out the youth. And the defenseman is going to be Ehrhroff I think. We clear 5 million in space the day after he becomes available. Just doesnt seem to be a coincidence to me.

Big question is whether or not we try to move Brewer's contract as well, or if we just let that one play out.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If we traded for another forward I'm sure we'd have to move a forward in the deal, so the depth is still gonna be an issue regardless. If another forward was our intentions all along why not keep Thompson or Crombeen just for depth?

That lineup is ridiculously young but the top 6 is strong enough to carry the load while the bottom 6 get their feet wet. After a few months they should be able to expand their roles and see more contributions. There's also always a few vets who go unsigned we can pick up during the season if needed.

I'm not so sure we'd be satisfied with that top six if we have the money to improve it. If Drouin and/or Connolly break out, we'd be okay, although ridiculously inexperienced. But I'm not so sure we want to go with Johnson/Stamkos together. I think, with Stamkos at 100%, he'll be returning to 1C duties. That would put Johnson back to 3C. This is all just an assumption, of course, but there's nothing else we can really do right now.

But we'd be a lot stronger with, and we have the roster/cap-space for, a top-six winger.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm not so sure we'd be satisfied with that top six if we have the money to improve it. If Drouin and/or Connolly break out, we'd be okay, although ridiculously inexperienced. But I'm not so sure we want to go with Johnson/Stamkos together. I think, with Stamkos at 100%, he'll be returning to 1C duties. That would put Johnson back to 3C. This is all just an assumption, of course, but there's nothing else we can really do right now.

But we'd be a lot stronger with, and we have the roster/cap-space for, a top-six winger.

That was the top 6 we ran with late in the season which turned us around from our struggles. We just gave Johnson a solid contract and I'm sure we're hoping it's to be a top 6C not a 3C. The only upgrade I see is on Killorn. We had more rookies on our opening night lineup last season then that one would be. Drouin and Paquette would be the only rookies.

Bringing in a better top 6 winger would be great but if it costs more then Killorn/Connolly/Panik + a pick (not a 1st), then I'd rather stick with what we have.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
too much youth wont work stevie has a plan everything he has done he verified first than made a move you can yell and scream like others are doing or know its happening but he is not done and something is coming in more than one d man. will be a vet leader solid two way player imho.

we are gonna lose someone we wont like probably but I see it happening. Otherwise why move nate we didnt need his money for any d man unless want to offer subban 8 million.

So you think we are going after two more defenders even after getting Garrison? Where are we playing all these defenders we're going to end up with?

Yzlamic Preacher*

Wishlist:

One of Stralman/Fayne
Montoya
Boyle/Or some experience to slot in on third or fourth line

As of right now we have too much youth. We need some more experience to help the kids that will make the team next year. Running as much youth as we are we might actually regress their development.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That was the top 6 we ran with late in the season which turned us around from our struggles. We just gave Johnson a solid contract and I'm sure we're hoping it's to be a top 6C not a 3C. The only upgrade I see is on Killorn. We had more rookies on our opening night lineup last season then that one would be. Drouin and Paquette would be the only rookies.

Bringing in a better top 6 winger would be great but if it costs more then Killorn/Connolly/Panik + a pick (not a 1st), then I'd rather stick with what we have.

Killorn's the guy I'm thinking could/should get over-taken too. With Johnson, I just don't see us going with him as a #1C, regardless. We went with him last year because circumstances dictated it. Teddy couldn't play wing with Stamkos, and Johnson's a better C than winger. That said, if we were to go with Flip as a 1C, it makes a better argument to keep Stamkos at RW.

Either way, we have 5 experienced forwards who aren't coming back next year. That's a big number.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Certain people have memory lapses. That's ok. Give it to July 2nd when some fans don't like the moves and call for Yzerman to be fired just like last summer (which people now try to forget).

"Some fans" = fans of other teams. Everyone (or at least most people) who called out SFY for exposing himself as a "mediocre GM" after one of his moves (Bishop, Filppula) was a fan of a different team. TB fans have faith in the Yzerplan.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You know, Iginla on a short-term deal (i.e. one that runs out before Stamkos's contract comes up) actually does make a lot of sense when you look at all that inexperience. The guy was a long-time captain and played a leadership role on Olympic teams. ...And he's a RW.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
on main board someone brought up statsny and to me that was shocking cause know his history with sakic. Pauls dad mentored joe. Than joe mentored paul. Yet gwod was pauls coach and someone said is from an insider. I cant believe colorado couldnt get a deal done.

International play statsny had 15 points second best this year. I can see this he plays tough grity kinda like callahan youngish again right age. He is definite leader type has the right background god first etc.. is diff from cally but he will go to net get thos dirty goals etc..

I hate to think this is the move or one of them cause is gonna cost but makes a lot of sense almost as much as marleau which I really want. I would be ok with this just hope we get the d still too.

Yzlamic Preacher*

on main board someone brought up statsny and to me that was shocking cause know his history with sakic. Pauls dad mentored joe. Than joe mentored paul. Yet gwod was pauls coach and someone said is from an insider. I cant believe colorado couldnt get a deal done.

International play statsny had 15 points second best this year. I can see this he plays tough grity kinda like callahan youngish again right age. He is definite leader type has the right background god first etc.. is diff from cally but he will go to net get thos dirty goals etc..

I hate to think this is the move or one of them cause is gonna cost but makes a lot of sense almost as much as marleau which I really want. I would be ok with this just hope we get the d still too.

Robert...what the hell are you doing awake at this hour?

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Hey guys, first time posting here. I've lived in Florida for 14 years since moving from NJ and I've followed the Lightning pretty close.

IMO, the moves Stevie Y has made today would ideally be to land an Iginla like many of you are predicting. I'd hate to see the Lightning go and trade for someone and lose some of your good youth when you could sign a really good veteran short term and not hurt your cap moving forward.

I really hope the Lightning are in on Fayne but if he's going to get north of 5 million I'd be afraid of that deal long term. Stralman I'd shy away from altogether.

Kusic

Back-to-back Champs!
Jul 4, 2010
Karlovy Vary
twitter.com
Just FYI. Per CapGeek it seems we retained salary from Gagner's trade - 1.6 mil. Cap space after night.
$9,573,365 mil. (with Ohlund's contract)
$13,180,508 mil. (with Ohlund on LTIR)
That's a lot of cap space. I am curious what is the Yzerplan for tomorrow (Stralman or Ehrhoff please).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad