TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Jokinen-Barkov-Boyes

Huberdeau-Bjugstad-Pirri

Fleischmann-Bolland-Bergenheim

Hayes-MacKenzie-Upshall

Kopecky, Thorton

This is what I'd like to see on a regular basis barring a trade. I think Kopecky is definitely the odd man out but his salary is hard to digest as a healthy scratch. I feel he will get a fair amount of starts to see how he's bounced back from the concussion. I hate to say it but I'd be happy to get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him just to dump the salary. We have Shore, Trocheck and Howden who can step in and fill a role if an injury or multi-player trade happens.

I think the top line will produce fairly well with the chemistry Boyes and Barky already have. Then you add JJ and it should be a shooting gallery with Barkov throwing the ammunition around to the shooters. Boyes and JJ could easily have 20 goals each if Barkov has a breakout year.

The 2nd line in theory should also work and be productive when you have Bjugstad creating space to set up Pirri or hand off to Huby and receive a gift from him in front of the net. Looking forward to this possible line combo the most if it happens to come together.

The 3rd line is intriguing as it's got 3 veterans but they all play different styles. Bolland and Bergy can get dirty and set up Flash who hopefully is determined to get back on track in a contract year. Bolland being the 2 way guy with Bergy crashing nets and us squeezing every point we can out of Flash while he's here.

The 4th line brings size, grit and some solid bottom 6 scoring potential. I think Hayes will get some added time on the PP and I'm confident he will climb his way up to the 3rd line by next year especially when you consider Flash/Kopy/Upshall are all trade bait or walking at seasons' end.

Campbell - Mitchell
Ekblad - Kulikov
Guddy - Olsen

Petro, Robak

I think Soupy and Mitchell compliment one another very well. Unless a trade or FA signing happens, I feel this should at least be tried out for a couple games.

I know most wil say Ekblad will start on the 3rd line but I feel he will get time to be offenive on one of the PP units so let him be defensive on the 2nd line while Kuli can pinch if necessary. Most around here know Guddy and Olsen had some chemistry last year so why not try and rekindle that on the 3rd line.

Obviously all the lines can be jumbled around but this feels well balanced to me.

Lu
Montoya

Not too hard to figure out who's #1 here.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Jokinen-Barkov-Boyes

Huberdeau-Bjugstad-Pirri

Hayes-MacKenzie-Upshall

Kopecky, Thorton

This is what I'd like to see on a regular basis barring a trade. I think Kopecky is definitely the odd man out but his salary is hard to digest as a healthy scratch. I feel he will get a fair amount of starts to see how he's bounced back from the concussion. I hate to say it but I'd be happy to get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him just to dump the salary. We have Shore, Trocheck and Howden who can step in and fill a role if an injury or multi-player trade happens.

I think the top line will produce fairly well with the chemistry Boyes and Barky already have. Then you add JJ and it should be a shooting gallery with Barkov throwing the ammunition around to the shooters. Boyes and JJ could easily have 20 goals each if Barkov has a breakout year.

The 2nd line in theory should also work and be productive when you have Bjugstad creating space to set up Pirri or hand off to Huby and receive a gift from him in front of the net. Looking forward to this possible line combo the most if it happens to come together.

The 3rd line is intriguing as it's got 3 veterans but they all play different styles. Bolland and Bergy can get dirty and set up Flash who hopefully is determined to get back on track in a contract year. Bolland being the 2 way guy with Bergy crashing nets and us squeezing every point we can out of Flash while he's here.

The 4th line brings size, grit and some solid bottom 6 scoring potential. I think Hayes will get some added time on the PP and I'm confident he will climb his way up to the 3rd line by next year especially when you consider Flash/Kopy/Upshall are all trade bait or walking at seasons' end.

Campbell - Mitchell
Ekblad - Kulikov
Guddy - Olsen

Petro, Robak

I think Soupy and Mitchell compliment one another very well. Unless a trade or FA signing happens, I feel this should at least be tried out for a couple games.

I know most wil say Ekblad will start on the 3rd line but I feel he will get time to be offenive on one of the PP units so let him be defensive on the 2nd line while Kuli can pinch if necessary. Most around here know Guddy and Olsen had some chemistry last year so why not try and rekindle that on the 3rd line.

Obviously all the lines can be jumbled around but this feels well balanced to me.

Lu
Montoya

Not too hard to figure out who's #1 here.

Kulikov with a rookie doesn't sit well with me.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
Kulikov with a rookie doesn't sit well with me.

It's all about phrasing. We're not putting Kulikov with a rookie; we're putting him with a more mature, defensively responsible partner :sarcasm:

Traditional wisdom screams disaster for both players. But we all saw Barkov step in and be just that good last year. Maybe Ekblad really will be that steady (Matta) and maybe Kuli will finally have the safety net he so clearly needs and a big gun at the point to feed and work from.

Not saying it's likely but hey, dream big :yo:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Hayes is going to play more than Thornton. I think the bottom line wIll typically be Upshall-McKenzie-Hayes with Thornton as a scratch for a majority of games. And if Kulikov is on the top pairing, Olsen will play with Gudbranson. Those two looked good together last year before Gudbranson got paired with Jovo...:help:

True.

(To RC) As for Huber not being on the third line, to look at our non checking forward lines in the classic 1st 2nd 3rd is wrong IMO. This ain't an EA sports game(with somewhat imaccurate attribute pts) and these lines will be seen as equals. Balanced equals. Our top line will depend on whoever's matched against other teams' lines.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
First of all, Huberdeau should NOT be playing on the 3rd line unless his play is worse than what we expect. ESPECIALLY since Gallant is the new HC.

Secondly, Jokinen is almost definitely playing on Barkov's line. That was one of the biggest reasons for signing him.

Jokinen-Barkov-Boyes

Huberdeau-Bjugstad-Pirri

Thornton-McKenzie-Upshall

Don't know where these guys fit in: Kopecky, Hayes

Campbell - Kulikov (I don't know how this one will work)
Guddy - ???
Ekblad - Mitchell

LUUUUU
Montoya

Hopefully Flash will have a much better season. I'm hoping that Gallant will use him correctly. If you put him on the top line, or on the point for the freaking PP, he's going to have another bad year. Maybe playing third line minutes and not playing the PP will do him some good.

With the chemistry the "Killer B" line had last year I cant think of any logical reason where a coach breaks them up. Unless they lose that chemistry. I don't think Gallant or anyone else cares who Jokinen wants to play with. Regardless Bergenheim is a more proven player and has proven chemistry with Barkov. It makes no sense really to take him off that line and replace with another player for the no particular reason.

CoolburnIsGone

Bergenheim-Barkov-Boyes

Huberdeau-Bjugstad-Pirri

Fleischmann-Bolland-Jokinen

Thornton-McKenzie-Upshall

3 scoring lines ^
Holy Crap...the most expensive 3rd line in the history of the NHL. Thats almost $15M between the 3 of them playing together.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Holy Crap...the most expensive 3rd line in the history of the NHL. Thats almost $15M between the 3 of them playing together.

It could easily be the first or second line depending. Are those three not a good match for each other?

CoolburnIsGone

It could easily be the first or second line depending. Are those three not a good match for each other?
With the amount of money they're being paid, they should be the first line. I dont think its a matter of them not being a good match for each other. I think it would be smarter to spread some of the veteran leadership around to help the youth grow more.

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
Barkov and Jokinen will play together.. Sure the killer b line worked, but let's be real here, Barkov makes lines work with any wingers.

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
Barkov and Jokinen will play together.. Sure the killer b line worked, but let's be real here, Barkov makes lines work with any wingers.

We should just mix and match him with anyone who is struggling so that no one gets into a slump.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

Bjugstad fits the Bs just as well though. Any reason we can't list them in the third line slot?

Flash Bark Jok
Huber Bol Pir
Bs
Hayes Dmac Ups

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I kinda remember bjus and huber not lookin so hot together

Huberdeau didn't look hot with anyone, except for Shore for a handful of games.

I think they'll stick him on a bunch of different pairings this TC and see where he gels the most. On paper, Bjugstad seems like the best fit.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Huberdeau didn't look hot with anyone, except for Shore for a handful of games.

I think they'll stick him on a bunch of different pairings this TC and see where he gels the most. On paper, Bjugstad seems like the best fit.

It's just a mind boggling shame when there's actually a proven working line, and in 2 solid variations at that, to use neither?!

Especially when Bolland seems to fit the description of a guy that would work next to Huber.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
It's just a mind boggling shame when there's actually a proven working line, and in 2 solid variations at that, to use neither?!

Especially when Bolland seems to fit the description of a guy that would work next to Huber.
Feel like I've said this before.
Welp, I guess I said it again!

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
With the amount of money they're being paid, they should be the first line. I dont think its a matter of them not being a good match for each other. I think it would be smarter to spread some of the veteran leadership around to help the youth grow more.

Spread it where though. Barkov will have two vets with him. The 3rd/4th line is full of vets. Only the 2nd line would have all youngsters. And in that case I don't think it would matter since the team is basically full of vets. The money being paid doesn't matter at all, they are all overpaid to begin with.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Feel like I've said this before.
Welp, I guess I said it again!

I dont get it either. People are acting like Jussi Jokinen is a primetime allstar. He played with Malkin last year and tore it up on the 5th highest scoring team in the league. He a nice role player sure but we have absolutely no reason to appease role players. Lets be frank I think him signing here has some to do with Barkov and a lot to do with money. What he says to the media will of course sound much different than that. If they play together great, but I don't like the idea of a one dimensional Brad Boyes playing on a line without a playmaking center feeding him the puck. Nor the idea that we should break what at one point was one of the most productive lines in the NHL for the sake of appeasing a complimentary player who has been a career 2nd/3rd liner.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I dont get it either. People are acting like Jussi Jokinen is a primetime allstar. He played with Malkin last year and tore it up on the 5th highest scoring team in the league. He a nice role player sure but we have absolutely no reason to appease role players. Lets be frank I think him signing here has some to do with Barkov and a lot to do with money. What he says to the media will of course sound much different than that. If they play together great, but I don't like the idea of a one dimensional Brad Boyes playing on a line without a playmaking center feeding him the puck. Nor the idea that we should break what at one point was one of the most productive lines in the NHL for the sake of appeasing a complimentary player who has been a career 2nd/3rd liner.

N.F.S. to both post! :)

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008

I don't think he's an allstar, far from that. I just see him as a better player than Bergenheim, who IMO is a 2nd/3rd line tweener while Jokinen is a 2nd line player.

I would want the best line combos to play, and if the B's are the best gelling line for Barkov, keep it that way.

While the B's played well last year, it doesn't mean we can't look for ways for a line for Barkov to improve.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I don't think he's an allstar, far from that. I just see him as a better player than Bergenheim, who IMO is a 2nd/3rd line tweener while Jokinen is a 2nd line player.

I would want the best line combos to play, and if the B's are the best gelling line for Barkov, keep it that way.

While the B's played well last year, it doesn't mean we can't look for ways for a line for Barkov to improve.

Bolded is a big fat hell no! Bergenheim is a money player who knows just what to do, can be a factor on any line. 1st-Checking. Bollocks to your insult of an opinion on Sean Bergenheim!

CoolburnIsGone

Spread it where though. Barkov will have two vets with him. The 3rd/4th line is full of vets. Only the 2nd line would have all youngsters. And in that case I don't think it would matter since the team is basically full of vets. The money being paid doesn't matter at all, they are all overpaid to begin with.
The money always matters, so saying that they are all overpaid (which isnt true of the youngsters) is just a deflection tactic. I would bet the team is going to balance the veteran talent among all 4 lines so that 2nd line wouldnt be how you have it. Here's how I see the lines rolling opening night (unless a trade is made) with the icetime being pretty well split among the top 3 lines:

Fleischmann - Bolland - Boyes
Huberdeau - Barkov - Jokinen
Pirri - Bjugstad - Bergenheim
Upshall - MacKenzie - Hayes

I'm sure changes will be made as guys either play well or struggle so its not like this will be the lines all season long (not to mention having 2 forwards as currently healthy scratches).

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Bolded is a big fat hell no! Bergenheim is a money player who knows just what to do, can be a factor on any line. 1st-Checking. Bollocks to your insult of an opinion on Sean Bergenheim!

His hustle is an amazing quality of his, no doubt. I just think his offensive tools are limited.

Agree to disagree.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

A guy that never broke the 30 points barrier in his career is better suited for a 2 or 3rd line. He was on the first line last year because every other LW were ****. If he's still on the first line this team is most likely once again finish bottom 5 in the league.

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
A guy that never broke the 30 points barrier in his career is better suited for a 2 or 3rd line. He was on the first line last year because every other LW were ****. If he's still on the first line this team is most likely once again finish bottom 5 in the league.

Is Bergy a LW? I thought he was a RW, maybe I'm wrong but he won't be on the first line this year. He's a good consistent 25 point guy, which is third line material in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad