2014-15 Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
The money always matters, so saying that they are all overpaid (which isnt true of the youngsters) is just a deflection tactic. I would bet the team is going to balance the veteran talent among all 4 lines so that 2nd line wouldnt be how you have it. Here's how I see the lines rolling opening night (unless a trade is made) with the icetime being pretty well split among the top 3 lines:

Fleischmann - Bolland - Boyes
Huberdeau - Barkov - Jokinen
Pirri - Bjugstad - Bergenheim
Upshall - MacKenzie - Hayes

I'm sure changes will be made as guys either play well or struggle so its not like this will be the lines all season long (not to mention having 2 forwards as currently healthy scratches).

So your saying the forwards Tallon signed back in 2010 and the ones he signed this offseason are not overpaid? Obviously the youngsters are not they are on entry level deals, I didn't think I had to point that out. Chemistry is another thing your not accounting for with your lines. IMO it is much more important than having a vet on your wing. We know Huby and Barkov are not a match with each other and you have just taken the only trigger man off Barkov's wing.

What if we had this.

Bergenheim-Barkov-Boyes
Fleischmann-Bolland-Jokinen
Huberdeau-Bjugstad-Pirri

^In this situation line 3 has switched with line 2. The formerly ultra expensive 3rd line is now priced as a reasonable 2nd line. While the third line is dirt cheap. In reality it doesn't matter how we order the lines. No one in that top 9 other than Bolland and perhaps Barkov is fit to play a defensive shut down role they are all mostly scoring players therefore it doesn't matter how much is spent on a particular line. This team will roll the hot line like the Coyotes. The youngsters are too young to being playing top line minutes which is probably a big reason why the aforementioned free agents were brought in. We really are not going to have a line 1 or 2 or 3.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
So your saying the forwards Tallon signed back in 2010 and the ones he signed this offseason are not overpaid? Obviously the youngsters are not they are on entry level deals, I didn't think I had to point that out. Chemistry is another thing your not accounting for with your lines. IMO it is much more important than having a vet on your wing. We know Huby and Barkov are not a match with each other and you have just taken the only trigger man off Barkov's wing.

What if we had this.

Bergenheim-Barkov-Boyes
Fleischmann-Bolland-Jokinen
Huberdeau-Bjugstad-Pirri

^In this situation line 3 has switched with line 2. The formerly ultra expensive 3rd line is now priced as a reasonable 2nd line. While the third line is dirt cheap. In reality it doesn't matter how we order the lines. No one in that top 9 other than Bolland and perhaps Barkov is fit to play a defensive shut down role they are all mostly scoring players therefore it doesn't matter how much is spent on a particular line. This team will roll the hot line like the Coyotes. The youngsters are too young to being playing top line minutes which is probably a big reason why the aforementioned free agents were brought in. We really are not going to have a line 1 or 2 or 3.

This guy gets what I've been sayin :)

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
"The killer bees" was a nice combo last season but as far off from a quality 1st line team could or should have in the modern NHL. If you got better options then you use them. Bergenheim, as much as I like him, doesn't belong to top3. Neither does Boyes. Jokinen has a better hunch for the net than Bergy and like it or not they are going with him (unless it's not working out). Guess the question is which one of the B's gets dropped, if not both.

Boyes obviously isn't going anywhere, just hard to place him in the line up. Not really a bottom 6 player and barely decent 2nd line winger. Also wouldn't count out Huberdeau off the 1st line, if what was said about his injuries last year had any truth in it (still kind of hard to believe someone playing with a broken foot). Propably not off the start but could change as the season goes on and when he gets to redeem himself.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
"The killer bees" was a nice combo last season but as far off from a quality 1st line team could or should have in the modern NHL. If you got better options then you use them. Bergenheim, as much as I like him, doesn't belong to top3. Neither does Boyes. Jokinen has a better hunch for the net than Bergy and like it or not they are going with him (unless it's not working out). Guess the question is which one of the B's gets dropped, if not both.

Boyes obviously isn't going anywhere, just hard to place him in the line up. Not really a bottom 6 player and barely decent 2nd line winger. Also wouldn't count out Huberdeau off the 1st line, if what was said about his injuries last year had any truth in it (still kind of hard to believe someone playing with a broken foot). Propably not off the start but could change as the season goes on and when he gets to redeem himself.

Is anyone really considering Boyes or Bergenheim 1st liners though? Just because someone posts their lineups, consisting of Boyes, Barkov, and Bergy on the top, doesn't mean they are 1st liners. What this team has is depth, and Im sure that the TOI is going to be distributed evenly between the Barkov and Bjugstad line, and maybe the Bolland line as well.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Is anyone really considering Boyes or Bergenheim 1st liners though? Just because someone posts their lineups, consisting of Boyes, Barkov, and Bergy on the top, doesn't mean they are 1st liners. What this team has is depth, and Im sure that the TOI is going to be distributed evenly between the Barkov and Bjugstad line, and maybe the Bolland line as well.

And this guy also gets it.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL

This team is going to be rolling 3, maybe even 4 lines night in an night out. It's going to stay that way until one of the lines shows the coaching staff it deserves to be the top line and get the most playing time.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
This team is going to be rolling 3, maybe even 4 lines night in an night out. It's going to stay that way until one of the lines shows the coaching staff it deserves to be the top line and get the most playing time.

I hope for team's sake it stays that way and there isn't one line above the rest.

CoolburnIsGone

The only "forwards" that I think that were overpaid in 2010 were Upshall & Kopecky. Flash & Bergy were fair deals based on their production and even then, the overpaying of Upshall & Kopecky were at least after they had career yrs. Bolland is WAAY overpaid, no question there, but I dont see the other forwards signed this offseason as overpaid. Top 6 forwards like Flash & Jokinen as free agents generally get paid around 4M so those are fair deals.

As far as chemistry goes, no one thought that Flash-Weiss-Versteeg would click the way they did in training camp. So who knows which combinations are going to work well until we get to camp. What didnt work last yr may end up working better this yr with a new coach. Maybe Gallant helps Huby & Barkov click so lets not just write that off yet.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
As far as chemistry goes, no one thought that Flash-Weiss-Versteeg would click the way they did in training camp. So who knows which combinations are going to work well until we get to camp. What didnt work last yr may end up working better this yr with a new coach. Maybe Gallant helps Huby & Barkov click so lets not just write that off yet.

Or there's always the Vigneault model of chemistry. Any top-9 forward may play anywhere at any time depending on what the coach had for lunch or who spoke what language to who on the bench in warm-up. 4th line only plays if winning or loosing badly.

Our 4th line should be more serviceable than just mop up duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad