2014-15 Lake Erie Monsters (AHL) & Fort Wayne Komets (ECHL) l Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Checked the scoreboard of the monsters game, Seimens isn't dressed, hope he isn't scratched again.

It really does the organization no good favor scratching him in favor of Stollery and Lauridsen in the long term.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Checked the scoreboard of the monsters game, Seimens isn't dressed, hope he isn't scratched again.

It really does the organization no good favor scratching him in favor of Stollery and Lauridsen in the long term.

Or maybe he just isn't that good? I'm sure they still want to win too.

hockeymm

Dec 27, 2014

I agree! I have said it before. Delano does not develop players. Considering organization issues with dmen I have focused on watching LE on defence and there is no rhyme or reas to his coaching decisions in this regard. Siemens was not the worst D last night so why he is scratched is beyond me.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
They have a 3 in 2.5 days. I'd rather them not play the same lineup and run everyone ragged.

Scoring one goal (and in the last second) against the worst team in the league is unacceptable. There is no hope for the offense on that team, none.

Gervais is by far the worst D but he's captain so he has immunity. Corbett hasn't played in a while and he's a good player. I wouldn't read that much into it, they have 8 D. Someone not named Bruno has to get scratched.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Or maybe he just isn't that good? I'm sure they still want to win too.

Honestly player development should be more important than winning in the AHL.

They have a 3 in 2.5 days. I'd rather them not play the same lineup and run everyone ragged.

Scoring one goal (and in the last second) against the worst team in the league is unacceptable. There is no hope for the offense on that team, none.

Gervais is by far the worst D but he's captain so he has immunity. Corbett hasn't played in a while and he's a good player. I wouldn't read that much into it, they have 8 D. Someone not named Bruno has to get scratched.

Still having guys like Stollery, Lauridsen, Beaupre play over Seimens when most likely all of them will be gone from the organization within a couple years is poor asset management.

If we're worried about Seimens getting tired from playing games in 3 days we are doing something wrong as a franchise, he's a conditioned athlete. If he can't handle that he certainly needs to work harder in the offseason. It's not like as a youngster he didn't play in hockey tournaments where they'd have 4-5 games over a weekend. I know the AHL is a higher level but it's not like over 15-16 years of hockey preparation didn't get him ready, he's used to being on the ice 5-6 days a week for several years now.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

From our perspective it should be but it's not. They don't exist solely to cater to the Avalanche. They have season ticket holders to satisfy and they don't give a crap about who the team is affiliated with. Same thing with the owners, they are in it to make money. The coaching staff is there under pressure to win games. They will do things that the Avs request (like playing Berra 3 days in a row) but it's clear many other times they are doing what's best for them and I'm ok with it.

Siemens was scratched two whole times in the course of half a season, that's not reason to panic about it. It's not that he can't handle playing 3in3 it's to get as many fresh bodies in as possible. I'm much more irate when they scratch Bourke, who is becoming the best forward on the team IMO, for nothing other than being a rookie.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Hishon with two double minors in half a game, including an unsportmanlike for talking to the refs. I'm very surprised he didn't get benched after that.

hockeymm

Dec 27, 2014

It's not just Gervais who has immunity, it's Stollery, Noreau and Elliot as well ,no matter how bad they play defensively. However when two of them are your top scorers I guess you don't sit them even if you are sitting others who I feel play the position better. Corbett isn't the speediest guy so pairing him with Gervais isn't great. You build a good team from the back end out.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Elliott and Noreau (and Stollery too) do not deserve to be benched. I'm not as in love with Lauridsen but before his injury played well.

Siemens is in today and looks solid. People freak out about him way too much. He even fought after the Monsters went down 2-0 in the first 2 minutes. Btw, not entirely Berra's fault but that seems to be the story with him all the time, doesn't it? Not quite his fault, bad bounces but find their way in.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Elliott and Noreau (and Stollery too) do not deserve to be benched. I'm not as in love with Lauridsen but before his injury played well.

Siemens is in today and looks solid. People freak out about him way too much. He even fought after the Monsters went down 2-0 in the first 2 minutes. Btw, not entirely Berra's fault but that seems to be the story with him all the time, doesn't it? Not quite his fault, bad bounces but find their way in.

Berra is a bit of an enigma to me. He is HUGE, but he looks small in net. Which is Allaire's specialty. He makes goalies big in net. And Berra is really quick on his feet. It really should have been a great match.

I wonder if he isn't listening to Allaire, or what is going on there.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I forget exactly where but I read/heard that Allaire is very particular about goalies never leaving the blue to make a save. That you saw it in camp where they all precisely skate to exactly the edge of the blue and never leave it. Friday in particular Berra was very much overplaying everything. That can't be what he's been taught.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Allaire is right with Berra. He is huge. Smith and Lund play on the goal lines. Top of his crease should be enough.

hockeymm

Dec 27, 2014

I don't agree. How many times do they get to give the puck away? And not just give it away because they are pressured, literally passing to the opposition! When they are making defensive mistakes they could be scratched a game too! You don't build confidence in players when consequences don't apply to all!

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I forget exactly where but I read/heard that Allaire is very particular about goalies never leaving the blue to make a save. That you saw it in camp where they all precisely skate to exactly the edge of the blue and never leave it. Friday in particular Berra was very much overplaying everything. That can't be what he's been taught.

That's strange, because wasn't Varly waaaaaaay out of the crease on Tampa's first goal last night? I always thought Allaire encouraged his goalies to challenge shooters but I could be way wrong on that one though.

hockeymm

Dec 27, 2014
Noreau's first responsibility is defence. Or at least it should be! Not going to say anything more. It has happened enough to times. LE loses in OT on penalty shot.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That's strange, because wasn't Varly waaaaaaay out of the crease on Tampa's first goal last night? I always thought Allaire encouraged his goalies to challenge shooters but I could be way wrong on that one though.

Yeah I don't know if there's exceptions to this. I wish I could remember where I heard this. Either way that's not what Berra was doing anyway, certainly not side to side out of the crease is encouraged.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
So the tale of this game is very much like many other Monsters games. They get in an early hole due to lapses in D and crappy goaltending and then spend the next 55 minutes trying to claw out of it. They are good at generating pressure but there is not enough individual skill on the team to convert pressure into goals. That's why Elliott and Noreau lead the team in points because the offense they generate is just as effective as the forwards. Those that are above average offensively are Sgarbossa who is currently shooting 4%. He's played well this season and if anyone is snakebit this season it's him. He had two tap in goals lined up for him and one was a ridiculous toe save and the other just jumps his stick. Then there is Hishon who only shows up on occasion. He tries hard but so many times he just flings a shot off or loses the puck. The two double minors today were unacceptable. Everyone else is pretty much a collection of capable third liners. Smith, Carey and Agozzino can make things happen and if there are any goals it's usually one of those three. I love Bourke and Henley but it's for more than just offensive reasons, Henley btw jammed home the first goal today and Smith and Agozzino got the other two. The team can generally play well with a lead the rare times it happens because they can pressure well and move the puck.

The jury is still out on Berra. As I said above bad bounces seem to plague him. I can see what Roy means on the compete thing, he doesn't give all he has to try and correct a bad thing happening as it's happening. I don't think it's that he just doesn't care, it's probably more he doesn't react as fast to the situation or can't recognize it. He had to make some saves in the third to get them to OT, he deserves credit for that. Though the Monsters were pressuring so it wasn't a barrage. But giving up a penalty shot goal in OT is just disappointing. I know that's a tough situation for a goalie as is but you have to stop it. I don't know what Roy is going to do. Berra isn't as bad as the tire fire he's made out to be but he's never going to bring anything to the position. He can sit there and stop some pucks, sometimes that will be enough but you are never going to get more.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Still having guys like Stollery, Lauridsen, Beaupre play over Seimens when most likely all of them will be gone from the organization within a couple years is poor asset management.

If we're worried about Seimens getting tired from playing games in 3 days we are doing something wrong as a franchise, he's a conditioned athlete. If he can't handle that he certainly needs to work harder in the offseason. It's not like as a youngster he didn't play in hockey tournaments where they'd have 4-5 games over a weekend. I know the AHL is a higher level but it's not like over 15-16 years of hockey preparation didn't get him ready, he's used to being on the ice 5-6 days a week for several years now.

As a fan who got into hockey watching a minor league team, winning should be the most important thing. It's not fair to those fans if they are not getting the best team possible. Lots of their fans could care less about the nhl affiliate. People in Clevland are not going to games or following the team because of Avs prospects. They are Fans of the Lake Erie Monsters.

Of course player development is part of having the best team possible though. But how do we know having him sit isn't part of the development? We had people on here saying to Bench MacK so he could get a different perspective and learn.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Early goals by Zanon on San Antonio and Hishon for Lake Erie.

Of course player development is part of having the best team possible though. But how do we know having him sit isn't part of the development? We had people on here saying to Bench MacK so he could get a different perspective and learn.

Because of the frequency of him being scratched getting scratched in back to back weeks when teams only play 5 or so games every two weeks is missing to much important hockey.

He's scratched tonight. Assuming he's not hurt.

2 goals in 3 shots against Berra.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad