Injury Report: 2014/15 Hurricanes Injury Thread (was Jeff Skinner Concussion Thread)

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
I dislike Evander Kane's personality. I don't think he's a good fit for a room. And this is coming from someone who has defended Ho-Sang of all people. I think there's a competitive way to be self-absorbed that helps you and I think there's a level of self-absorption that hurts you. I think Evander falls into the second category. Plus, after what we dealt with in Tuomo Ruutu and Keith Primeau, I don't want any more notoriously difficult signers. Erik Cole as well for that matter. Not a huge fan of mercenaries with no real vision for the future of their team. Throw Johansen on that heap too.

all the "character guys" that JR and Francis continually drone on about haven't accomplished much.........in the room or on the ice

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
all the "character guys" that JR and Francis continually drone on about haven't accomplished much.........in the room or on the ice

True, yet when we have a guy that succeeds but shows "character flaws", this board gets all up in arms about it. How many posts have there been over the years complaining about Skinner's whining/diving/complaining/etc..

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

Very true. But I don't believe the solution for character guys not having success is to bring in guys with no character. The fact that we haven't found the right guys to win with doesn't mean that the formula of what we want in a player is totally wrong. It may just mean that we're not finding good enough players to make it work. The truth is that we have zero depth. We're a star driven team whose stars can't drive.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
If we were to trade Skinner right now -- no matter how it works out on the ice over the years, no matter who we got for him -- we wouldn't sell another ticket this season. I'm sorry, but it's a factor. People in the area pay to see Jeff Skinner. He sells tickets. He sells jerseys. He sells t-shirts. It matters.

Eric Staal and Cam Ward are the same way. In order to build something long-term you simply have to keep players for their entire careers and raise their numbers to the rafters when the time comes. You can't run a real team like a fantasy team. It's not all about winning this week's games.

As for Skinner, doesn't his most recent concussion remind anyone of the one Crosby took in the outdoor game that knocked him out for the season? It was behind the play and totally innocuous, but it got him just right and messed him up. That was Jan. 1, 2011. He missed eight months and people were talking the whole time about it ending Sid's career. That was 3 1/2 years ago. Crosby was 23 at the time. In the 140 games since, he has 62 goals, 141 assists, 203 points, two All-Star appearances, one Art Ross Trophy, two Pearson awards and a Gold Medal.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yep, one of the first things I thought about actually. Although IMO there was certainly intent on the hit on Crosby, whereas I don't think there was any intent whatsoever by Niskanen here.

And the fanbase reaction is one of the biggest reasons I'd be hesitant to move Skinner shy of another team severely overpaying. The fanbase seems to have mostly turned on Ward already with how Khudobin did last season, and moving Eric would hurt but would hardly be end of the world. But moving Skinner? Yeah the casuals would borderline revolt over that.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
The only way you get away with a Skinner trade right now, they would have to win right away and one player or even players would not do that.

Two, three years from now? I could see it.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
For every player that has had multiple, reoccurring injuries and been fine, there are even more that have had an injury-plagued career and never lived up to their potential.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
For every player that has had multiple, reoccurring injuries and been fine, there are even more that have had an injury-plagued career and never lived up to their potential.

So what you are saying, is that past performance does not accurately predict future results and each case should be reviewed independently.

I actually disagree with your comment though. There's no way to prove it, but I strongly feel that there are a LOT more players out there in contact sports (football, hockey) that have had multiple concussions than we will ever know about, and went on to have fine careers. It's only recently that it's gotten the focus it has and the procedures are in place to identify even minor ones and take action. The extreme cases (career ending or god forbid, the long term effects result in much worse) are the ones that get the most press. In the past, guys got "their bell rung" and missed a game or two.

And it wasn't that long ago. Aaron Ward in the 06 Cup run admitted he can barely remember playing in 1 game but refused to come out because he knew he wouldn't pass a baseline test. Troy Aikman claims he suffered 7-8 concussions in his career and one time, suffered a concussion so severe in the 1994 NFC Championship Game that he had to be hospitalized, and then played in the Super Bowl anyway. It was his back that eventually led to his retirement and he's had testing and insists he has no long term ill effects.

There are plenty of examples of that, way more than guys careers ending IMO.

Again, I'm not saying "don't worry" because any time a guy his age has 3 concussions, it's a concern and the long term implications of repeated concussions are not fully known (some guys have impacts, where-as guys like Aikman have no impacts). Just that we also shouldn't over-react either.

Last edited:

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So what you are saying, is that past performance does not accurately predict future results and each case should be reviewed independently.

I actually disagree with your comment though. There's no way to prove it, but I strongly feel that there are a LOT more players out there in contact sports (football, hockey) that have had multiple concussions than we will ever know about, and went on to have fine careers. It's only recently that it's gotten the focus it has and the procedures are in place to identify even minor ones and take action. The extreme cases (career ending or god forbid, the long term effects result in much worse) are the ones that get the most press. In the past, guys got "their bell rung" and missed a game or two.

And it wasn't that long ago. Aaron Ward in the 06 Cup run admitted he can barely remember playing in 1 game but refused to come out because he knew he wouldn't pass a baseline test. Troy Aikman claims he suffered 7-8 concussions in his career and one time, suffered a concussion so severe in the 1994 NFC Championship Game that he had to be hospitalized, and then played in the Super Bowl anyway. It was his back that eventually led to his retirement and he's had testing and insists he has no long term ill effects.

There are plenty of examples of that, way more than guys careers ending IMO.

Again, I'm not saying "don't worry" because any time a guy his age has 3 concussions, it's a concern and the long term implications of repeated concussions are not fully known (some guys have impacts, where-as guys like Aikman have no impacts). Just that we also shouldn't over-react either.

It's not just about careering-ending injuries though, but more about guys that have had great potential, but were never able to live up to it because of a constant string of injuries.

Sergei Samsonov, Martin Havlat, Sami Salo, etc. Now, these players have had long careers, so there's no saying that the injuries will cut careers short. But there's no denying that their careers could have been so much more successful if not for their fragile nature.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
BLB, I'm not disagreeing that there are players that have had their careers cut short due to injury. Of course there have. I'm disagreeing with your other statement.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Skinner already practicing and taking no-contact?.... they cleared him really quick. Obviously the docs. know what they're doing but the fact that he sustained the concussion less than 12 days ago is worrisome. At least to me.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Skinner already practicing and taking no-contact?.... they cleared him really quick. Obviously the docs. know what they're doing but the fact that he sustained the concussion less than 12 days ago is worrisome. At least to me.

It all depends on the severity. There's not a 1 size fits all here. Skinner himself said it wasn't that bad, just felt a little woozy.

Dec 30, 2013

I should think that a quick recovery would be a good thing, not a bad thing...

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Yeah, I think concussion is starting to become a scary word. Not to downplay the severity of repeated concussions, but they're definitely not all made the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad