Injury Report: 2014/15 Hurricanes Injury Thread (was Jeff Skinner Concussion Thread)

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
Jeff Skinner (concussion) is close to returning to the Hurricanes' lineup, according to Hurricanes coach Bill Peters.
Advice: The plan is to have Skinner practice with the team on Tuesday and play as early as Thursday. When it comes to concussions, we're weary of any timetables provided, but this is still a very positive development.

per yahoo fantasy sports

Neighbor Lee

Sponsor
Oct 25, 2013
Droneview
I don't play hockey so I'm interested to know if Niskanen's hit on Skinner was malicious or a regular part of the game, albeit with an unlucky outcome.
From what I can see in the video clips Niskanen made a point of skating up to Skinner and giving him the forearm.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
I don't play hockey so I'm interested to know if Niskanen's hit on Skinner was malicious or a regular part of the game, albeit with an unlucky outcome.
From what I can see in the video clips Niskanen made a point of skating up to Skinner and giving him the forearm.

I don't think it was malicious at all.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don't think it was purposeful. He shoved him and caught him wrong. Skinner is always gonna susceptible to those odd glancing blows he isn't prepared for. The big hits he sees coming he can avoid or prepare for. A lot of concussions actually come from plays like this one, just unlucky enough to catch ya just right.

Skinner will always be a risk. I think he's capable of long stretches of health, just needs a little luck. Frustrating as it seemed he really worked hard and had some jump in him. He can change games for us.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
With Skinners past concussions, he really is a huge risk to be gone forever in the next 2-3 years. I think if we can unload him for another young prospect, we should be looking at it hard. Something like Jeff Skinner for Evander Kane.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
With Skinners past concussions, he really is a huge risk to be gone forever in the next 2-3 years. I think if we can unload him for another young prospect, we should be looking at it hard. Something like Jeff Skinner for Evander Kane.

How do you know it's a huge risk? I'm not saying it's not a risk at all, but none of us on here know the extent of this recent one (seems pretty minor if he's already close to being back) nor what the doctors say/think, etc...

But even if we accept that, here's the problem I see with that. If the Canes were so concerned about his future that they deemed it necessary to trade him, then it's very likely that other teams would know that and have the same concern and wouldn't want to give up much for him.

I may end up being wrong, but Skinner is the best goal scorer this team has likely ever seen so IMO, you keep him, build the team around him and the other young guys down the road (Faulk, J. STaal, Fleury, Lindholm, etc....).

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
How do you know it's a huge risk? I'm not saying it's not a risk at all, but none of us on here know the extent of this recent one (seems pretty minor if he's already close to being back) nor what the doctors say/think, etc...

But even if we accept that, here's the problem I see with that. If the Canes were so concerned about his future that they deemed it necessary to trade him, then it's very likely that other teams would know that and have the same concern and wouldn't want to give up much for him.

I may end up being wrong, but Skinner is the best goal scorer this team has likely ever seen so IMO, you keep him, build the team around him and the other young guys down the road (Faulk, J. STaal, Fleury, Lindholm, etc....).

I see him as a very skilled player who is a concussion waiting to happen everytime he steps on the ice. My thought is get something for him while you still can. He may not ever get another concky and go through his career as a all-star scoring 30 goals per year, but chances of that happening are slim IMO.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I see him as a very skilled player who is a concussion waiting to happen everytime he steps on the ice. My thought is get something for him while you still can. He may not ever get another concky and go through his career as a all-star scoring 30 goals per year, but chances of that happening are slim IMO.

There are 2 sides to this. Because he's 22 I think they're taking a smaller risk keeping him than letting him go, and he ends up a consistent 40 goal scorer for the next decade on another team.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Well he practiced today in a no-contact jersey.

ice_chip
Skinner says "good to be back out there." Said Niskanen hit "looked worse than it felt." Said was dizzy but "it cleared up pretty quick."

ice_chip
Skinner says concussions, potential health risk are a concern, but said: "It's a physical game. Everyone knows there will be injuries."

daikan

(╯︵╰,)
Oct 28, 2005
Berlin
I hope he has his priorities straight, and that he does not forget that there's a life after hockey, too.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
If we were offered Evander Kane for Jeff Skinner right now straight up we turn it down you guys think? I pull that trigger.....

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Evander Kane is a cancer because he has a personality. He also takes flattering pictures of himself with good looking women at pools and of his money, how dare he? Also, he has one of those "hood" names. Who names their kid Evander, like seriously? And he cuts lines and words into his hair which most likely means he's a gangster and listens to rap music.

kane-hair-4-590x391.jpg

And worst of all, I heard he likes basketball :scared::eek:

He is the antithesis of hockey.

bluedevil58*

One of the best even strength scorers in the league. I would take that deal.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I dislike Evander Kane's personality. I don't think he's a good fit for a room. And this is coming from someone who has defended Ho-Sang of all people. I think there's a competitive way to be self-absorbed that helps you and I think there's a level of self-absorption that hurts you. I think Evander falls into the second category. Plus, after what we dealt with in Tuomo Ruutu and Keith Primeau, I don't want any more notoriously difficult signers. Erik Cole as well for that matter. Not a huge fan of mercenaries with no real vision for the future of their team. Throw Johansen on that heap too.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Ironically, you mention Skinner's injury history at a time when Kane is out for a couple of weeks (minimum) with a knee injury. I understand the concern on Skinner (future risk due to concussions), but interestingly enough, Kane has missed approximately 15% of his games over his 5 year career due to injury and Skinner has missed about 12% over his 4 year career.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
I may think back on this as a silly comment someday, but I'd take Kane for Skinner. If Skinner didn't have injury issues it would be different, but...

I have the exact same thoughts.

Just playing this would you trade X player for Y player is fun, but I really do see some merit to trading Skinner before he is done forever. Evander Kane does have some issues with personality but I don't think he is the right fit to play in Canada or Winnipeg always under the microscope. I think a trade to Raleigh where he is not in the limelight would be beneficial for him and his attitude. Just my 2 cents.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
One of the best even strength scorers in the league. I would take that deal.

He's got more assists than Skinner, but he's not a better even strength goal scorer. For the 4 years that the two of them have been league together.

Kane: 70 ES Goals in 258 Games Played
Skinner: 71 ES Goals in 259 Games Played

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad