Prospect Info: 2014-15 Colorado Avalanche Junior Prospects Thread II (CHL & Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
There's an ongoing thread about the most positive thing(s) about the Avs season.

What do you all think are the biggest Avs prospect system positives for the 2014-15 season?

I'll post a few thoughts about the Monsters in that thread. Anyway, good question.

We've talked a lot about Bigras and Geertsen already. Bleackley exceeded my expectations, Martin had a good season before he went down.

Two guys that don't get mentioned as much are Wood and Nantel. Wood being such a fixture on the PP and improving his defensive game. Nantel I'm going to keep beating that drum until the masses understand that he's legitimately a good prospect. He has 61 points this season before he even reached 18.5 years old. Nantel probably exceeded my expectations the most, granted they were pretty non-existent but I have high hopes for him next year.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Butcher did that drop pass on the PP, he'll fit right in.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Bigras scored and was +1 but OS lost in OT. Series tied 1-1

Anyone see the Red Deer game? Did Bleackley spear two different players or was it just a double minor for spearing?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Whatever it was looked like an accident, like he was going after the puck along the boards in the neutral zone. It looked like a slash to me, I don't know where they got spearing. 0-0 game going to OT. Very defensive but both teams getting worn out. Oh I see now in the boxscore, was definitely just once.

Bigras' goal was great. It was after a scramble around the net and the puck popped out and he quickly pinched up and just rifled it. His talent is really starting to shine through, doing some Barrie type moves in the neutral zone and along the blue line, he has a lot of confidence and is just all over.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Pretty much said it already over in this thread and last but thought I'd do a little recap of how the the playoff series went for our prospects over the weekend.

North Bay up 2-0. Blowout the first game and the second the Crouse/Bennett line showed some life in a closer game but North Bay has a handle on it, could be over soon. Wood had 2 assists.

Owen Sound tie 1-1. Won a blowout the first and lost a close second in OT. Considering both were on the road and how they were able to assert their game in both contests, I like how Owen Sound is looking. Bigras 1 goal and 1 assist.

Kitchener down 0-2. Lost a close-ish one and a blowout. Thought London might show some sloppy play but has been solid and dominant. I saw the least of this series and didn't see much from Magyar.

Rouyn-Noranda and Val d'Or tied 1-1. Traded blowouts, really no idea where this one is going although upper hand to the Huskies for winning one on the road. Nantel 1 goal and 1 assist. Pepin 2 assists.

Red Deer down 0-2. Two tough losses a 2-1 and 1-0 OT. Solid defensively but just can't score, pretty much the story of their season. Bleackley is trying to make things happen but just isn't quite back to the form he had before the injury plus isn't getting much help.

Butcher and DU lost in the regional finals today, he scored a goal in the first game. Storm and St Cloud State lost in the regional semi-finals.

Most impressive player for me this weekend is Bigras. Damn is that guy talented. I'd usually say in a solid non-flashy way but the guy is getting some flash to his game both physically and with the puck. He's ready for the next step.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Most impressive player for me this weekend is Bigras. Damn is that guy talented. I'd usually say in a solid non-flashy way but the guy is getting some flash to his game both physically and with the puck. He's ready for the next step.

I watched bits and pieces from their games this weekend and I agree. Came away very impressed. Physical play has come leaps and bounds and he's far more aggressive right now than in past viewings.

If we don't re-sign Hejda than I think he's a serious contender for a spot on the team next year.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Skellefteå won game 2 in the semi-finals easily too. 7-2.

Anton Lindholm played 18:08 this time and lead the team in hits again, this time with three. No points.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Butcher had a really good tourney. Very consistent on both ends. Rarely made any mistakes, none being major ones. Too bad they couldn't go on.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
What's your definition of a mini break. I can't recall the play you are thinking off.
It was on a PP in the second period. He tried to make a cross ice pass, it got cut off and there was a 2 on 1 but he got back to get the rebound after the goalie made the save. It was just one play but it was a bad pass.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
His size, to me, is one of the least of my worries. He's built like a tank and that didn't stop other less physical players from making the NHL.

What small defenders are there in the NHL that don't play a smart game?

Off the top of my head:
Spurgeon
Enstrom
Krug?

To me size really is his only concerns. He's a smart player with a good skill set. If he had size his potential would be sky high. It's great that he has strength but lack of reach will hurt him and he'll need to be smart to compensate.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
It was on a PP in the second period. He tried to make a cross ice pass, it got cut off and there was a 2 on 1 but he got back to get the rebound after the goalie made the save. It was just one play but it was a bad pass.

A 2 on 1 all the way down the ice? Or was he, or someone else, able to get back and make it 2 on 2 before the scoring chance happened? Can't believe I can't remember this. An odd man rush certainly would have stuck out in my head as a "bad" turnover.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
A 2 on 1 all the way down the ice? Or was he, or someone else, able to get back and make it 2 on 2 before the scoring chance happened? Can't believe I can't remember this. An odd man rush certainly would have stuck out in my head as a "bad" turnover.
It was a 2 on 1 all the way down the ice, from the far blueline. Butcher was able to hustle and get back and lift the stick of the other forward and knock the rebound away though. I don't remember exactly when it was, but it was a PP in the 2nd.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
How good of a skater is Butcher? Can he skate a well as Barrie?

No, definitely not. He's ok but I think it's still an area that he could use some work at before he becomes NHL ready.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
It was a 2 on 1 all the way down the ice, from the far blueline. Butcher was able to hustle and get back and lift the stick of the other forward and knock the rebound away though. I don't remember exactly when it was, but it was a PP in the 2nd.

Ok, I think I remember what your talking about. I vaguely recall a play like that and thought the puck carrier did a bad job by not passing. Butcher ended up on the backside of the goalie (goalie's left side)? I guess I was too impressed with him getting back to recall the TO.

Appreciate it.

No, definitely not. He's ok but I think it's still an area that he could use some work at before he becomes NHL ready.

Agreed. No where near Barrie. He is quick, but not fast. And not overly agile like Barrie. Seems like he uses his handles (nothing flashy, but simple and quick and patient at the same time) to put a move on someone more than skating. I don't think it would hold him back as is, because he is quite quick and IMO that's the most important part, especially for a Dman who's biggest responsibility is the lower portion of the Dzone, a rather small area. And he is a great passer. Which you can move the puck quicker with a pass than any player can with their skating. But improved skating would certainly help take his game up another notch.

FoppaForsberg*

1-0 Guelph, OS just standing around (including Bigras) as Bertuzzi got his 4th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad