Prospect Info: 2014-15 Colorado Avalanche Junior Prospects Thread (CHL & Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Siemens fought Rich Clune. Handled himself very nicely. That was Siemens 30th fight between the WHL and AHL. Clune has had more than that in one season between the NHL and AHL. Clune is quite a bit shorter however.

More of this on the Avs please.

Nice tilt. Clune is a tough guy who has fought legit NHL heavies over the last few years.

My god, he has an absolutely wicked shot. We could desperately use it in our lineup right now. Hopefully he can push for a spot next year.

Won't happen. He'll be the captain of a Memorial Cup host team.

He's buzzing right now though. Has 6 goals in his last 6 games and has really taken his play up a notch over the last month or so. I bet he's put up 5 shots per game over his last several outings. Has made a note to shoot more and it's paying off.

The kid has an elite level release.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
Took a look at Capgeek to see who's contracts run up this year for Lake Erie, and the list is kind of long. It will be an interesting offseason in this area because of Roy and Sakic restacking the prospect pool on their own. One can only speculate who gets brought back. For those who are too lazy to look (myself included), Hishon, Elliott, Heard, Carey, Aittokallio, Gervais, Stollery, Vincour, Agozzino, Lauridsen, and Sgarbossa all run out this summer. That list is in order of who gets paid the most to who gets paid the least. The AHL contracts of Schumacher, Ryan, and Maggio are also up. Since my sleeping problems are kicking in, I have nothing better to do than guess who comes back, and here we go.

Resigned:

Hishon, Elliott, Stollery, Agozzino, Sgarbossa, Ryan (AHL contract extension or possible NHL contract,) and same for Schumacher

Unsigned:

Heard, Carey, Aittokallio, Gervais, Vincour, Lauridsen.

Just my opinion on the future matter, because I can see a couple more overage prospect signings this year and summer.

edit: I guess I could have put this in the Lake Erie thread, but too late.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Took a look at Capgeek to see who's contracts run up this year for Lake Erie, and the list is kind of long. It will be an interesting offseason in this area because of Roy and Sakic restacking the prospect pool on their own. One can only speculate who gets brought back. For those who are too lazy to look (myself included), Hishon, Elliott, Heard, Carey, Aittokallio, Gervais, Stollery, Vincour, Agozzino, Lauridsen, and Sgarbossa all run out this summer. That list is in order of who gets paid the most to who gets paid the least. The AHL contracts of Schumacher, Ryan, and Maggio are also up. Since my sleeping problems are kicking in, I have nothing better to do than guess who comes back, and here we go.

Resigned:

Hishon, Elliott, Stollery, Agozzino, Sgarbossa, Ryan (AHL contract extension or possible NHL contract,) and same for Schumacher

Unsigned:

Just my opinion on the future matter, because I can see a couple more overage prospect signings this year and summer.

Sure, I'll play the game. I peruse the Capgeek a lot myself to think about things. I agree that Joe and Patty are just getting started on reforming the prospect pool and minor league depth. They cleaned a few contracts out last summer but with even more up they will likely continue to do the same. Good news is they only have one prospect to sign (Geertsen) and its pretty likely they do so but that also gives them the freedom to look around for other overagers and Europeans.

I would think that Schumacheer, Maggio and Ryan would all be back. All three play well in their roles. I don't think Maggio needs a NHL contract but the other two could possibly deserve one if their play continues.

Of the guys with expiring contracts I think Stollery is gone, he's a UFA and he probably wants to see what's out there. I really hope they don't feel the need to bring Gervais back, I think Noreau can fill that role as a vet, he already wears an A right now and he can actually play hockey and play big minutes on the team. Its really hard to say what they do with the rest.

Are they going to keep giving one year deals to guys like Hishon, Carey and Elliott? Do they want to see what else is out there or will they take the security of an offer? You also wonder how many goalies they want to carry. If Picks is a possibility for the Avs then its really scary to think what they are leaving the Monsters with if Aittokallio isn't brought back. Will is quite an adventure right now, maybe he gets better but they are adding in another young guy in Martin too.

Sgarbossa has played better, Heard has rehabbed his game a bit, Agozzino might be a career AHLer but he's good for the team and I could easily see him be captain down the road. Lauridsen has a bigger role now too. Do they burn contracts on those guys or see what else is out there? I think Vincour was a plug in for this year, he's probably not going to hang around the AHL much longer than he has to.

If they want to keep it mostly together I'd say Gervais, Stollery and Vincour out then they can sign Geertsen and two new finds but there probably will be more turn over than that.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Resigned:

Unsigned:

I think will bring Vincour back as well. He's kind of a Sakic/Roy guy IMO. He basically left this organization when he signed in the KHL, but came back after Roy was hired. I'd say Roy gave him a call and said he'd like to have him back with the Avs. I think Roy likes his game.

The rest I agree with though, might see Elliott let go though.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
So Spencer Martin gets a shutout shoot out win against a good team yesterday and his team rolls him out for his 3rd game in 3 days with less than 24 hours rest and he gets hurt. If it's serious enough he can't be traded then it serves them right for being so stupid.

Also listened to a podcast from our BC area scout Rick Lanz and they talked about Geertsen for a good 5 minutes. Safe to say the organization is happy with him.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
So Spencer Martin gets a shutout shoot out win against a good team yesterday and his team rolls him out for his 3rd game in 3 days with less than 24 hours rest and he gets hurt. If it's serious enough he can't be traded then it serves them right for being so stupid.

Also listened to a podcast from our BC area scout Rick Lanz and they talked about Geertsen for a good 5 minutes. Safe to say the organization is happy with him.

They ran Martin into the ground last year as well. They don't trust their backup and they're constantly straddling the line between playoff team and non-playoff team.

And I really can't find anything that says how he got hurt. Was it a collision? Or did he pull something?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I had a bad angle, but Martin was just trying to move across the crease and make a save... he just moved awkwardly. You could tell he was in some pain.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Hockey Canada: Where Politics Trumps Talent. :shakehead

If anything HC is known for being loyal to their returning players. Of course we'd all love to see Bigras there but it isn't really the "wrong" decision to not have him. Canada's D is insane.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If anything HC is known for being loyal to their returning players. Of course we'd all love to see Bigras there but it isn't really the "wrong" decision to not have him. Canada's D is insane.

I'll disagree with you there... I would take Bigras over most of Canada's defense right now. Some of them have higher ceilings, but are not as good of players right now. IMO Bigras is clearly the best 2 way defensemen in the OHL AND he is the best at shutting down top lines in that league as well.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

And it would be even more insane with Bigras. You can't tell me he isn't currently better than some of those who were selected. I would say its wrong to not have the current 8 best Dmen.

Edit: hench beat me to it.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I'll disagree with you there... I would take Bigras over most of Canada's defense right now. Some of them have higher ceilings, but are not as good of players right now. IMO Bigras is clearly the best 2 way defensemen in the OHL AND he is the best at shutting down top lines in that league as well.

Agreed. It's hard for me to fathom that there are 8 defensemen for team Canada that are currently better than Bigras. It furthers my proof that it's all politics. Bigras is not a big name, wasn't drafted in the 1st round, so thus he can't possibly be better than some of the players who made it. I'd take Bigras 10x out of 10 over all of the 1st round guys that made the team (Nurse, Theodore, Morrisey, and Morin). Not saying Bigras is going to be a better NHLer than all those guys (wouldn't be surprised if he does turn out better than most of them), just saying that Bigras is better than all of them right now. And it's really not even close.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Agreed. It's hard for me to fathom that there are 8 defensemen for team Canada that are currently better than Bigras. It furthers my proof that it's all politics. Bigras is not a big name, wasn't drafted in the 1st round, so thus he can't possibly be better than some of the players who made it. I'd take Bigras 10x out of 10 over all of the 1st round guys that made the team (Nurse, Theodore, Morrisey, and Morin). Not saying Bigras is going to be a better NHLer than all those guys (wouldn't be surprised if he does turn out better than most of them), just saying that Bigras is better than all of them right now. And it's really not even close.

Have you ever seen Josh Morrissey play hockey. MO was the best defenseman in the Calder Cup finals last year (better than Redmond, Nemeth, Oleksiak and Chariot).He was arguably the best player on the IceCaps after Hutchinson but he's a goalie and he has actually improved his game this year. Bigras isn't even nearly close to him. Theodore is better too. Nurse is questionable for sure. As i look at the roster though I do think Bigras should be there so I take back my earlier comments. I thought he didn't make it because those 3 lefties were taken ahead of him but I now realize that the d corp is pretty much all lefties. He should be over there over a few of those names but definitely not Morrissey or Theodore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad