League News: 2014-15 Around the League IV (NHL News, Scores, Highlights, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Mike Green = Jordan Reed.

Sure seems like it. Gamebreaking offensive talent but very fragile. I don't think Reed is as non-chalant about things as Green, though. Just seems to be injury prone.

Is there a comparable player to Green in the NHL? I can't think of one offhand. Maybe Neuvy, though I think Green is probably more toward the elite offensively among defensemen compared to Neuvy's status among goaltenders.

Jun 15, 2007
Green used to be game breaking offensive talent.

Now he's just breaking.

Seriously, Detroit signing Green reminds me of New York signing Redden for big money after he CLEARLY was in decline.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Maybe. I haven't followed KRISTOPHER "Pierre Jr." Letang all that closely to know whether he has as many smaller injury stints but he does seem to be seriously injured a lot.

Now he's just breaking.

Seriously, Detroit signing Green reminds me of New York signing Redden for big money after he CLEARLY was in decline.

Possibly. I don't recall Redden being near Green's level offensively. But bad signings that seem obvious to fans happen almost every year. Some around the league look at us and Orpik that way.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Now he's just breaking.

Redden's contract was far, far worse. Redden was in significant decline prior to free agency (Ottawa management had already tried to trade him to get rid of him) and then he was signed a 6/40 deal... in 2008. Stupid money now, and insane money at that time. Green at 3/18 will never come close to being the albatross that Redden was. Green also is still a contributor, when healthy, whereas Redden was burnt toast by the time he played his first game in the Garden.

If you want a current Redden comparison, look two hours north to Philly. They have two of them. See MacDonald, Andrew and Lecavalier, Vinny for examples.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Bruce needs to turtle, see his fav player traded away and then ink Hannan, and then get fired. And then blame the GM. Green gets a long stint on IR.

The more things change....

MoJoSauce

Apr 3, 2011
NNK
Watching the Ducks-Stars game. Wow and they just put up another goal to make it 3-0.

Second goal was caused completely by miscues from 3 ex-chicago blackhawks. Oduya made a dive to take the pass away and ended up wiping Niemi out of the crease completely.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Watching the Ducks-Stars game. Wow and they just put up another goal to make it 3-0.

Second goal was caused completely by miscues from 3 ex-chicago blackhawks. Oduya made a dive to take the pass away and ended up wiping Niemi out of the crease completely.

I've never seen a team try so hard to lose a game. They went up 3-0 and completely folded. It was one sided the entire 3rd period. Poor bruce

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
The Caps made a big commitment to acquire him, gave him the biggest contract in the league at the time, and shuffled coaching personnel to accommodate him. He sulked and phoned in his on-ice performance leading up to the firesale in `03-`04 and the Caps also paid out the nose to get rid of him.

Jagr is where he belongs, showboating on a middle-of-the-pack team and I can't wait until the 31st to watch him submissively urinate at the sight of Alexander Ovechkin.

Yeah. Caps shuffled in Bruce Cassidy. But, I'm sure that was Jagr's fault.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
We all love Ovechkin but I disagree with this silver lining logic. If someone shoots me and I nearly die, but I meet my future wife during a long, slow rehab, I'm not inviting the shooter to my wedding. The two things can be separated. I'm happy for the fortunate part but I still hold the gunman responsible for what he did.

If we're talking hindsight, I would be much more forgiving of Jagr if what happened had somehow led to GMGM getting the boot and the Caps getting the kind of stewardship they have now. As it was, the Jagr fiasco might have actually robbed Ovie and others of years of possible success by giving GMGM extra time to clean up the mess Ted helped create with the Jagr extension. We were sold a 5 year plan in a capped league, which even some of us "not in the game" knew was a stall tactic and not necessary with a leveled financial playing field.

Plus, keep in mind, the Caps were a BAD team prior to the lockout and firesale anyway, partly because GMGM let the defense slip and hired an incompetent rookie coach. There's still a chance that with or without Jagr the team would have finished poorly enough to win the Ovechkin lottery. So no credit to Jagr for Ovechkin. :shakehead

To get this back on topic and less about Caps history, yes it is cool to see Jagr still going in his 40s and taking no prisoners. People that think 40 year olds refusing to act like 70 year olds is gross are going to change their minds when they get to be that age. :nod:

Yeah, George sucked. But I mean, who knew?:sarcasm:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Nikolaj Ehlers is very good. Such a great speed, very quick release and actually not afraid to take the shot either. Scored the only goal for Jets and hit the cross-bar in the 1st period too.

Jun 15, 2007
Nikolaj Ehlers is very good. Such a great speed, very quick release and actually not afraid to take the shot either. Scored the only goal for Jets and hit the cross-bar in the 1st period too.

I have to disagree. He's very close to being an Ahler.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I could be wrong, but I think it was a play on his last name Ehlers vs. Ahler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad