League News: 2014-15 Around the League IV (NHL News, Scores, Highlights, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I can't believe there's no main board thread.

It's sad about Semin but one can easily see why the Caps never wanted to give him a longterm deal.

If he had half the heart and will to be great that Ovy has, he'd still be here. One of the bigger unfulfilled NHL talents in the last 10 years..KHL soon? I'm assuming someone there wants him?

It's very obvious why there isn't a main board thread. Everyone knew that he wouldn't last long. Even I knew that he was pretty much done, I was in denial because Sasha is my favourite player.

If he had Ovi's will, he still wouldn't be the elite winger he once was. His wrist injury and concussions have ruined him.

He's KHL bound for sure. I can't imagine anyone signing Semin once his deal with the Habs expires. Even then, he won't last long in the KHL. You've got to be fast to play on international rinks. The KHL is a fast league as well. The only way he could last long in the KHL is if he took his conditioning more seriously.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Tampa loses again, I'm loving it. Biggest surprise of the season is how badly they are doing out of the gate.

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
Semin got his 5 year extension after 30 games. I remember advocating this signing but in hindsight, it was a disaster for the Canes.

The truth is that you can't commit long term to a guy like Semin. GMGM knew it.

well, what was the length of his previous deals? Couldn't he sign a 1-year term every time?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Pretty sure GMGM said it was Semin/his agent that refused longer term extensions (because of the looming lockout and the potential of salary rollback).

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Pretty sure GMGM said it was Semin/his agent that refused longer term extensions (because of the looming lockout and the potential of salary rollback).

Caps would have extended him at a few mil less a year, that was always the issue. Semin and his agent knew they would eventually get more from someone and the Caps knew it wouldn't be them.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
well, what was the length of his previous deals? Couldn't he sign a 1-year term every time?

He had two consecutive two year deals after his ELC then two consecutive one year deals. He wanted a long term commitment at the price he was asking for, which is understandable from his perspective. The Caps were not going to offer a multi year deal at $7M.
He took the one year $7M deal with the Canes because they were the only ones willing to offer the $7M.

Towards the end of a monster 2012-2013 season in which he was a PPG player, he got the extension he wanted.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
See I always heard Semin asked for 1 year deals and nobody could figure out why. Do we have verification that he was seeking long-term deals during that time, and fell back on shorter deals for more money?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
From his 2009 extension:
"It's what the player preferred," McPhee said of the one-year deal. "We discussed a number of options, but this is the way he wanted to go for now. Which is fine with us because it gives us flexibility going forward."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/26/AR2009122602142.html

From his 2011 extension:
"We prefer to see how business is going to be conducted going forward in the new CBA," Semin's agent, Todd Diamond, told ESPN.com on Thursday. "To sign a long-term deal without knowing what's in store long-term with the CBA didn't make sense to us."

Here's one reason I think the move has some merit: What if the next CBA comes with a salary rollback, like the last one? I'm not saying there will be a rollback (last time, it was 24 percent), but if there is, Semin will be able to sign his next deal without a rollback. Just saying.

Either way, the one-year deal is fine with the Caps.

"It's what the player wanted," Caps GM George McPhee told us Thursday. "He's comfortable doing one-year deals. That's fine with me. I don't mind not doing a long-term deal. There's obviously risk in doing a long-term deal and we have a couple. I sure don't mind doing a one-year deal. He can do a one-year deal for the next 10 years if he wants."
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/print?id=3933

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Financially speaking, I don't think things could have worked out any better for #28. Now it's off to the KHL for another big payday.

Does he lose anything on the buyout? I thought a buyout reduced the actual amount paid out to the player.

But yeah, the money worked out pretty well for 28. His game went south at just the right time. For him.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Does he lose anything on the buyout? I thought a buyout reduced the actual amount paid out to the player.

But yeah, the money worked out pretty well for 28. His game went south at just the right time. For him.

Sasha loses $7M from the buyout. I won't pity him, he's richer than all of us combined and brought the buyout upon himself.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Some people just don't know when to retire. It makes me embarrassed for them. You're a multi-millionaire, open up a business, go on vacations, spend time with your family and friends.

I'm looking directly at you, Brooks Laich! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad