League News: 2014-15 Around the League III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Yes, but the guy had a torn groin. If he has such a severe injury that he shows obvious signs of pain and difficulty with movements, it isn't a good idea to use him since it can be exploited. Plus Vasielekiekekey, #88, whatever his name is played good in the game he did get to play. The second goal on the fake shot, had he of tried to slide across I bet his leg would of fell off.

He still gave them the best chance to win imo. Too much of a risk to rely on an unproven guy like Vasilevskiy, and again, they just couldn't score. Stamkos especially.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
He still gave them the best chance to win imo. Too much of a risk to rely on an unproven guy like Vasilevskiy, and again, they just couldn't score. Stamkos especially.

Oh yea he played great considering that injury, but Vasilevskiy is good (still unproven). I think the accumulative total of injuries to TBL were just too much to overcome the Hawks.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Clearly.

It's just so depressing that during the Ovechkin era the Rags, Pens, Flyers, Bruins, Devils, and Lightning all made a SCF while the Caps cant even sniff a ECF birth. Caps are in purgatory.

It's gut wrenching, no doubt. We had a buffoon of a GM who let his ego dash any chance of building something special and an owner who allowed it to happen because he was satisfied with having just enough success to keep the Red Rockers coming back.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think Vasya is better than Bishop. I understand why they stood by Bishop, but it's only a matter of time before Vasya takes the reigns as their #1.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think Vasya is better than Bishop. I understand why they stood by Bishop, but it's only a matter of time before Vasya takes the reigns as their #1.

Wouldn't have anything to do with him being a green 20 yr old would it? And sure, I'm guessing Tampa expects their 1st rounder to eventually supplant the 28 yr old starter who just towed them to the Finals....eventually. He isn't better today.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
GMs approve 3 on 3 OT (no 4 on 4 at all) and limited coach's challenge:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...rove-3-on-3--coach-s-challenge-010320494.html

I feel like this could blow back in their face if it goes straight to 3 on 3 OT. A team can realistically just hold onto it for the 4 minutes and in the last minute put pressure on.

Didn't they do it in the AHL this year? How did that work out, curious if any teams were doing that type of thing. Being overly cautious with the puck to not give the opposition puck possession.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I feel like this could blow back in their face if it goes straight to 3 on 3 OT. A team can realistically just hold onto it for the 4 minutes and in the last minute put pressure on.

Didn't they do it in the AHL this year? How did that work out, curious if any teams were doing that type of thing. Being overly cautious with the puck to not give the opposition puck possession.

I think the AHL went to 3 on 3 after the first whistle in OT. Shootouts dropped by a significant amount. We may have linked the stats here before.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I read that in the AHL, a goal was scored every 8:33 during 4-on-4, and every 3:41 during 3-on-3. If those numbers hold for the big boys, we'll definitely see fewer shootouts.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
I think the AHL went to 3 on 3 after the first whistle in OT. Shootouts dropped by a significant amount. We may have linked the stats here before.

I definitely like the idea of 3 on 3 far more then going to shoot outs, but I wonder what the new strategy teams will start utilize to counteract the excessive open ice and worrying about the additional point. They talked about it so much that teams were backing off a lot in the late minutes of regulation time to guarantee a point, wonder what we'll see from teams with highly effective shout out guys do next season (i.e Chicago, Islanders). I feel there are teams out there that next season will be far more comfortable going to shootouts then 3 on 3 and will do their best to run the clock on the 3 on 3. Call me crazy, but I think it is a possibility.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I definitely like the idea of 3 on 3 far more then going to shoot outs, but I wonder what the new strategy teams will start utilize to counteract the excessive open ice and worrying about the additional point. They talked about it so much that teams were backing off a lot in the late minutes of regulation time to guarantee a point, wonder what we'll see from teams with highly effective shout out guys do next season (i.e Chicago, Islanders). I feel there are teams out there that next season will be far more comfortable going to shootouts then 3 on 3 and will do their best to run the clock on the 3 on 3. Call me crazy, but I think it is a possibility.

I think it favors talented teams with a few top-tier stars more than anything else. Instead of maybe 8-12 guys who can swoop around you only need maybe 6-9. And the difference in talent among the top 6 will probably come into play more than ever. But you can probably hide a clunky bottom 6 a bit better. That is if all that open ice doesn't prove more tiring for them. I wonder if anyone intimately familiar with the AHL can confirm that.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
I think it favors talented teams with a few top-tier stars more than anything else. Instead of maybe 8-12 guys who can swoop around you only need maybe 6-9. And the difference in talent among the top 6 will probably come into play more than ever. But you can probably hide a clunky bottom 6 a bit better. That is if all that open ice doesn't prove more tiring for them. I wonder if anyone intimately familiar with the AHL can confirm that.

Yea, I feel like it really suits teams like the Islanders. I would anticipate a team like the Devils employing a strategy where they are more then happy to go to shootout given their overall age and tendency to be more defensive. We really don't know until it hits the big boys. Maybe they do something different from the AHL, or it just follows the same pattern. Have to wait and see considering they still are not 100% on how they are going to integrate it.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yea, I feel like it really suits teams like the Islanders. I would anticipate a team like the Devils employing a strategy where they are more then happy to go to shootout given their overall age and tendency to be more defensive. We really don't know until it hits the big boys. Maybe they do something different from the AHL, or it just follows the same pattern. Have to wait and see considering they still are not 100% on how they are going to integrate it.

It also should favor teams with goalies who are comfortable against breakaways and 2 on 1 situations. Tenders who are propped up by schemes and sturdy defensemen may struggle more. It might not happen all the time but enough to cost points.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
The thing that terrifies me the most is I can see us losing a lot of those 3 on 3 OTs with OV on the ice. He'd be the deadliest in the league hands down 3 on 3, but if we don't have possession or played like **** all night, I feel like his mediocre defensive game could hurt. He's made big improvements on his back checking and what to do when he doesn't have the puck under Trotz, but I think he will have no clue 3 on 3 when he isn't in control.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
The thing that terrifies me the most is I can see us losing a lot of those 3 on 3 OTs with OV on the ice. He'd be the deadliest in the league hands down 3 on 3, but if we don't have possession or played like **** all night, I feel like his mediocre defensive game could hurt. He's made big improvements on his back checking and what to do when he doesn't have the puck under Trotz, but I think he will have no clue 3 on 3 when he isn't in control.

I think you're worrying too much. Ovie did a great job last season and will continue to get better on both sides of the Ice under Trotz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad