Olympics: 2014 — Slovakia Roster Discussion (Released, post #1)

Anchor Town*

How are Jurco's chances now? Finished last season on a tear in the AHL on the way to helping Grand Rapids win the Calder Cup. This year he is on the 1st line w/ 1st line PP time and has put up 22 points (10+12) in 19 games.

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
How are Jurco's chances now? Finished last season on a tear in the AHL on the way to helping Grand Rapids win the Calder Cup. This year he is on the 1st line w/ 1st line PP time and has put up 22 points (10+12) in 19 games.

A few days ago Mr Vůjtek came back from the inspection trip in NHL. During the press conference he said Tomáš Jurčo is the only player from AHL who has got a chance to make the Olympic roster. ;)

Most of the people definitely want to see him there even instead of some elite KHL players... :nod:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Hossa-Handzus-Gaborik
Tatar-Mikus-Zaborsky
Hossa-Kopecky-Panik
Radivojevic-Bliznak-Satan
Jurco

Chara-Sekera
Meszaros-Visnovsky
Granak-Baranka
Jurcina

Halak
Budaj
Janus

C- Chara
A- Satan
A- Marian Hossa

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=692710&navid=nhl:topheads

What a joke :laugh: NHL.com, hire me please, I will do a lot better.
Stumpel :help:

EDIT: When I´m already in the thread..what´s your opinion on players like Meszaros or Satan. They are healthy scrathes or didn´t play at all.. I hope Satan will not go, Meszaros is NHL player but in terrible shape, I prefer hot players over long-time veterans.

Last edited:

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
Meszaros palyed in the Flyers' last two games and was pretty solid, I'd like to see him paired with Sekera.

Indian

Jan 14, 2010
Košice
If healthy, Tatar is (and was) a sure thing to make the team, same goes for Panik. Now that Marincin is making his debut for Oilers, I'm wondering if there is a chance for him though, would love to see him there.

Last edited:

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Tatar is a lock for TOP6 forward. Panik will make a team too.
Marincin is a dark horse. Our defense seems to be strong, so it will be hard for him.

Indian

Jan 14, 2010
Košice
The head coach said that out of the AHL only Jurco has a chance to make the team, but I fear that chance is very small.

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
Now that Marincin is making his debut for Oilers, I'm wondering if there is a chance for him though, would love to see him there.

In the last decade even the likes of Valábik or Mihálik made it to the NHL. The question is, if he's better all around player and especially if he can show it on the big european ice? However if he will be succesful regular NHL player till the Olympics, I wouldn't be against it. ;)

Last edited:

Indian

Jan 14, 2010
Košice
I wouldn't put Marinčin in the same category as those two. They only made it because of their size and physical style of play (though I like Valábik a little, Mihálik is just plain awful). His attributes lie elsewhere. Unlike them he can carry the puck well, join the rush and go for the net, has a great first pass from our own zone, can work the stick well along the boards and last but not least he has a hard and accurate shot. What he needs is to adjust his level of play to the NHL now. However I suspect Edmonton will keep shuffling their defenceman and he will be unfortunately sent down. I hope he will see another couple of games at least.
Anyway I believe Vujtek could give him a chance.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
I wouldn't put Marinčin in the same category as those two. They only made it because of their size and physical style of play (though I like Valábik a little, Mihálik is just plain awful). His attributes lie elsewhere. Unlike them he can carry the puck well, join the rush and go for the net, has a great first pass from our own zone, can work the stick well along the boards and last but not least he has a hard and accurate shot. What he needs is to adjust his level of play to the NHL now. However I suspect Edmonton will keep shuffling their defenceman and he will be unfortunately sent down. I hope he will see another couple of games at least.
Anyway I believe Vujtek could give him a chance.
Funny thing, I think otherwise - Valabik is plain awful, barely skates and like Mihalik a little :laugh:

peto10

Sep 29, 2011
Slovakia
Tomáš Jurčo with his first NHL goal in second game. I hope, he already is one of the 14 forwards, I would like to see something like this:

Tatar - Handzuš - Hossa
Pánik - Kopecký - Gáborík
Jurčo - Mikúš - Hossa
Bartovič - Ölvecký - Záborský
(two of Šatan, Bližňák, Surový, Miklík, Radivojevič)

Chára - Višňovský
Sekera - Sersen
Meszároš - Graňák
Baranka - Marinčin/Starosta

Halák, Budaj, Janus/Laco

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Tomáš Jurčo with his first NHL goal in second game. I hope, he already is one of the 14 forwards, I would like to see something like this:

Tatar - Handzuš - Hossa
Jurčo - Mikúš - Hossa
Bartovič - Ölvecký - Záborský
(two of Å atan, Bližňák, Surový, Miklík, Radivojevič)

Chára - ViÅ¡ňovský
Sekera - Sersen
MeszároÅ¡ - Graňák
Baranka - Marinčin/Starosta

Halák, Budaj, Janus/Laco

Question is, if Meszaros should be there. He sits more that he plays.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Gaborik just broke his collarbone. Almost certainly out for this tournament.

Well, it depends what type of fracture it was, whether it was a displacement fracture or not. Slovakia opens against the USA on February 13. That is 8 weeks away. If he is out of his sling in 6 weeks, and 2 weeks for strength training, it might not be impossible.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
The way I see it.

As of right now -

Gaborik is out - injury

Jurco is in (75 percent chance) - showing he can clearly hang in the NHL (2g 1a in 4 games)

Tatar is a lock at this point

Marcincin - out, was never really in the discussion (way too low on the depth chart for the Olympics), glad he got some NHL experience though, dmen mature slower than forwards

Panik is in (not a lock like Tatar, but 90 percent)

Dano is out

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
....and Marek Hrivik with 10 goals in his last 10 games with Hartford is a never was.

The success of this Slovak team will depend on its defence and goaltending. Goaltending combined with opponents having to deal with Chara 30+ minutes a game, that is key. With of course kids like Jurco, Tatar, and Panik chipping in offensively.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Tatar - Handzuš - Hossa
Jurco - Mikúš - Hossa
Spirko - Bartovic - Miklík
Surovy, Cibak

Chára - ViÅ¡ňovský
Sekera - Meszároš
Sersen - Baranka
Granak - Podhradský

Halák
Budaj
Stana

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Tatar - Handzuš - Hossa
Jurco - Mikúš - Hossa
Spirko - Bartovic - Miklík
Surovy, Cibak

Chára - ViÅ¡ňovský
Sekera - Meszároš
Sersen - Baranka
Granak - Podhradský

Halák
Budaj
Stana

Three enormous question marks with Visnovsky, Gaborik, and Sersen - all three have long term injuries. Not sure why Handzus and Satan are left out. Also couple of weird ones on your roster that have zero chance.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Nice interview in SME with Tomas Kopecky re: the Olympics. Fitting on a night he had a goal and the shootout winner for the Panthers.

Anyhow, things that caught my eye: Coach Vujtek asked him if he would be comfortable playing centre, he said yes. He also said Gaborik told him he would do everything he could to make it to the Olympics. Lastly, he said Tomas Jurco belongs on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad