Olympics: 2014 — Slovakia Roster Discussion (Released, post #1)

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
Official Roster

Pos. | Player | Team | League
LW | Milan Bartovič | Slovan Bratislava | KHL
RW | Marián Gáborik | Columbus Blue Jackets | NHL
C | Michal Handzuš | Chicago Blackhawks | NHL
LW | Marcel Hossa | Dinamo Riga |KHL
RW | Marián Hossa | Chicago Blackhawks | NHL
LW | Tomáš Jurčo | Grand Rapids Griffins |AHL/NHL
C | Tomáš Kopecký | Florida Panthers | NHL
C | Tomáš Marcinko | Košice | SVK
RW | Michel Miklík | Slovan Bratislava | KHL
LW | Peter Ölvecký | Slovan Bratislava | KHL
RW | Richard Pánik | Tampa Bay Lightning | NHL
LW | Tomáš Surový | Dinamo Minsk | KHL
LW | Tomáš Tatar | Detroit Red Wings | NHL
LW | Tomáš Záborský | Salavat Yulayev Ufa | KHL
D | Ivan Baranka | Avangard Omsk | KHL
D | Dominik Graňák | Dinamo Moskva | KHL
D | Zdeno Chára | Boston Bruins | NHL
D | Martin Marinčin | Oklahoma City Barons | AHL/NHL
D | Andrej Meszároš | Philadelphia Flyers | NHL
D | Andrej Sekera | Carolina Hurricanes | NHL
D | Michal Sersen | Slovan Bratislava | KHL
D | Ľubomír Višňovský | New York Islanders | NHL
G | Peter Budaj | Montréal Canadiens | NHL
G | Jaroslav Halák | St. Louis Blues | NHL
G | Ján Laco | Donbass Donetsk | KHL

###

I try to do that. I hope at least 60-70% of players I chose will be there... :laugh:

Tatar - Mikúš - Hossa Marián
Gáborík - Bližňák - Pánik
Šatan - Kopecký - Hudáček Libor
Záborský - Handzuš - Radivojevič
Jurčo, Bartečko

HM: Ružička, Hossa Marcel, Surový, Bartovič, Miklík, Nagy, Cibák, Viedenský, Daňo...

Chára - Graňák
Jurčina - Sekera
Višňovský - Starosta
Meszároš - Marinčin

HM: Baranka, Kudroč, Sersen, Mikuš, Štajnoch, Podhradský, Gernát...

Halák
Janus
Hudáček Július

HM: LašÃ¡k, Staňa, Laco, Budaj, Hamerlík...

15 of 25 players from my roster made it, which is exactly 60%. Well, it could be worse :laugh:

Last edited:

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Although I don't know as many of the non NHLers as I wish I did, Slovakia is going to surprise a lot of people (although it shouldn't be a surprise considering they are big 7) with that defence+goaltending

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I try to do that. I hope at least 60-70% of players I chose will be there... :laugh:

Tatar - Mikúš - Hossa Marián
Gáborík - Bližňák - Pánik
Å atan - Kopecký - Hudáček Libor
Záborský - HandzuÅ¡ - Radivojevič
Jurčo, Bartečko

HM: Ružička, Hossa Marcel, Surový, Bartovič, Miklík, Nagy, Cibák, Viedenský, Daňo...

Chára - Graňák
Jurčina - Sekera
ViÅ¡ňovský - Starosta
MeszároÅ¡ - Marinčin

HM: Baranka, Kudroč, Sersen, MikuÅ¡, Å tajnoch, Podhradský, Gernát...

Halák
Janus
Hudáček Július

HM: Lašák, Staňa, Laco, Budaj, Hamerlík...

You have there too much young guns. I dont think that in a year will Viedensky, Dano, Marincin and Gernat so good, that they will be considered for this team. Jurco maybe, Panik for sure (the question is if he will make the team). And i think, that Ruzicka closed his national team career after last spring.

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
There are some very good wingers on that team but man is that middle soft.

Yes. Slovakia miss a Top center. However we can say that's an eternal problem of Slovak NT. We were really happy for Demitra :(. Unfortunately Stumpel and Handzuš are ageing, so we hope young centers can replace them.

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
You have there too much young guns. I dont think that in a year will Viedensky, Dano, Marincin and Gernat so good, that they will be considered for this team. Jurco maybe, Panik for sure (the question is if he will make the team). And i think, that Ruzicka closed his national team career after last spring.

You never know. Performance of 20+ years old players is changing quickly. So we will see ;). I didn't hear Rúžička to say, he won't play for NT anymore. However if he did it, then it's his problem. He has not done almost anything for the success of NT till now. Unfortunately he has been just a shadow of KHL top scorer :shakehead.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Yes. Slovakia miss a Top center. However we can say that's an eternal problem of Slovak NT. We were really happy for Demitra :(. Unfortunately Stumpel and Handzuš are ageing, so we hope young centers can replace them.

I see young wingers to come and add to the surplus, Panik, Jurco, Tatar etc, but I'm not seeing top quality centers coming up. Still enough talent here to do some damage at least. Probably can't repeat the 2010 run that was pretty good taking Canada to the edge, however. That last group might have been a golden generation of slovakian hockey.

coursy17

Jan 2, 2012
Hossa Handzus Gaborik

Can't separate Hossa and Gaborik and Handzus is one of the best on faceoffs

Tatar Mikus Panik

Young skilled and full of energy.

Satan Cibak Kopecky

Grinding, defensive and has the ability to score.

Radivojevic Viedensky Ruzicka

Big line. Could provide some scoring, should provide physicality.

13th- Jurco. Could play himself into the top 6 or off the lineup we'll see how he does in the next year but I like him to make it.

Chara Visnovsky

Mezsaros Sekera

Jurcina Baranka

Granak

Halak
Janus
Budaj

This team will depend on defense and goaltending. Could be a dark horse.

coursy17

Jan 2, 2012
Marek plays in AHL and is 21 years old. 9 points in 9 playoff games last season and this season he have 22 points in 33 games. He should have a shot at 3rd or 4th line.

Yes I know where he plays. I didn't think he'd be useful in a 4th line role nor he was good enough for a top 6 role. I cant see him making it over satan or kopecky. Satan maybe? or Jurco as a 13th forward I guess as well.

Clardz

Jan 25, 2013
DFW
It will be interesting to see how Jurčo does next fall; he is getting to play on a good team this season but is also seeing bottom 6 ice time and if I'm not mistaken, very little time on the power play as well. If Tatar & Nyquist get time with the Wings this spring or next fall, I hope he can take advantage of the top 6 opportunities that he should be getting in that scenario.

boris4c

Quid infantes sumus.
Dec 13, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Tomas Tatar with his 4th goal of the season for Detroit. He seems to be doing well since being called up from the AHL, that is excellent news for Slovakia.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Tomas Tatar with his 4th goal of the season for Detroit. He seems to be doing well since being called up from the AHL, that is excellent news for Slovakia.

Tatar's development has been great. He's really strong on the puck considering size, and has become a fast skater. Can both pass and shoot, although I like him more as a finisher. Babcock doesn't like his defensive game yet, but I somehow disagree. With work ethic like his he will always be fine.

Jurco has had bumps in the road, he's incredibly dangerous around the net but has had troubles getting into the sweet spots frequently playing against men. There's some work to be done with his skating and strength in order to make more plays. He's mostly spent time on the 3rd line, PP time has fluctuated. We'll see if he finds another gear this season, otherwise I think he will next season.

Murph5

Jun 1, 2013
Ontario
Mari.Hossa-Handzus-Gaborik
Satan-Kopecky-Panik
Jurco-Tatar-Radivojevic
Marc.Hossa-Bliznak-Nagy
Dano
Chara-Visnovsky
Meszaros-Sekera
Jurcina-Marincin
Mikus
Halak
Budaj
Janus
"C"-Chara
"A"-Mari.Hossa
"A"-Handzus
"A"-Gaborik

Indian

Jan 14, 2010
Košice
List of players invited to the Olympic hockey summer:

Goalies: Peter Budaj, Jaroslav Halák, Jaroslav Janus, Ján Laco, Rastislav Staňa.

Defencemen: Ivan Baranka, Marek Ďaloga, Dominik Graňák, Zdeno Chára, Milan Jurčina, Martin Marinčin, Andrej Meszároš, Andrej Sekera, Michal Sersen, Tomáš Starosta, Ľubomír Višňovský, René Vydarený.

Forwards: Milan Bartovič, Mário Bližňák, Marko Daňo, Marián Gáborík, Michal Handzuš, Marcel Hossa, Marián Hossa, Marek Hrivík, Tomáš Jurčo, Tomáš Kopecký, Roman Kukumberg, Michel Miklík, Juraj Mikúš, Richard Pánik, Branko Radivojevič, Tomáš Surový, Miroslav Šatan, Tomáš Tatar, Tomáš Záborský.

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
List of players invited to the Olympic hockey summer:

Goalies: Peter Budaj, Jaroslav Halák, Jaroslav Janus, Ján Laco, Rastislav Staňa.

Defencemen: Ivan Baranka, Marek Ďaloga, Dominik Graňák, Zdeno Chára, Milan Jurčina, Martin Marinčin, Andrej MeszároÅ¡, Andrej Sekera, Michal Sersen, Tomáš Starosta, Ľubomír ViÅ¡ňovský, René Vydarený.

Forwards: Milan Bartovič, Mário Bližňák, Marko Daňo, Marián Gáborík, Michal HandzuÅ¡, Marcel Hossa, Marián Hossa, Marek Hrivík, Tomáš Jurčo, Tomáš Kopecký, Roman Kukumberg, Michel Miklík, Juraj Mikúš, Richard Pánik, Branko Radivojevič, Tomáš Surový, Miroslav Å atan, Tomáš Tatar, Tomáš Záborský.

For someone who follows the Slovakian team closely what are the chances of Jurco and Tatar making the team? Dano I assume has a very slim chance. Maybe just some good exposure

Indian

Jan 14, 2010
Košice
For someone who follows the Slovakian team closely what are the chances of Jurco and Tatar making the team? Dano I assume has a very slim chance. Maybe just some good exposure

Tatar is a lock, Jurčo has a very slim chance making the team, but one can hope :)

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
Just realized that Cibak was not on this list. Can anyone enlighten me why that is so, i have always liked his good 2-way game, and thought that Handzus, Kukumberg, Bliznak and Cibak would make a fine bunch of defensively strong centers (along with the more offensive Mikus who should also be a lock, right?)

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
A few days ago there was an article on the Slovak websites that Tomáš Záborský plays as a center between Sergey Kostitsyn and Alexander Frolov in pre-season games for Avangard Omsk...

Sounds like a good news for Vůjtek ;). It opens a new opportunities in the lineups for him. What do you think?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad