Olympics: 2014 — Czech Republic Roster (Released, post #1)

WingsMike

Registered Man
Jan 28, 2012
Official Roster

Pos. | Player
C | Roman Červenka
LW | Patrik Eliáš (A)
RW | Michael Frolík
C | Martin Hanzal
RW | Aleš Hemský
RW | Jaromír Jágr (A)
C | David Krejčí
LW | Milan Michálek
C | Petr Nedvěd
C | Jiří Novotný
LW | Ondřej Palát
C | Tomáš Plekanec (C)
C | Vladimír Sobotka
RW | Jakub Voráček
LD | Michal Barinka
RD | Radko Gudas
LD | Tomáš Kaberle
LD | Lukáš Krajíček
RD | Zbyněk Michálek
RD | Michal Rozsíval
LD | Ladislav Šmíd
RD | Marek Židlický
G | Jakub Kovář
G | Ondřej Pavelec
G | Alexander Salák
###

I'm surprised this thread has not been posted yet. I'd like to see some discussion about this team. Here are my predictions:

M. Michalek - Krejci - Voracek
Elias - Plekanec - Erat
Fleischmann - Cervenka - Hemsky
Vrbata - Tlusty - Havlat

Kuba - Z. Michalek
T. Kaberle - Polak
Hejda - Klesla

Pavelec
Vokoun

I might have forgotten a couple. Some of these guys are getting old and might be replaced. No superstars and the D is a little scary but overall a solid squad that will compete for a medal.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteLight*

Fleischmann - Hanzal - Voracek
Michalek - Krejci - Erat
Hudler - Plekanec - Vrbata
Tlusty - Elias - Jagr
Sobotka

Smid - Michalek
Klesla - Zidlicky
Hejda - Polak
Kindl

Pavelec
Neuvirth
Vokoun

PierreMcGuire*

Olympic Team:
Fleischmann - Krejci - Havlat
M. Michalek - Plekanec - Voracek
Vrbata - Hanzal - Hemsky
Elias - Cervenka - Jagr
Erat

Smid - Zidlicky
Hejda - Z. Michalek
Klesla - Polak
Kaberle

Pavelec
Neuvirth
Vokoun

hans26

Oct 31, 2012
Michálek - Eliáš - Havlát
Fleischmann - Krejčí - Erat
Tlustý - Plekanec - Voráček
Sobotka - Červenka - Hemský
Hanzal

Šmíd - Michálek
Kaberle - Židlický
Hejda - Polák

Pavelec
Vokoun
Kovář

petr86

Oct 9, 2010
Praha
Milan Michálek - David Krejčí - Aleš Hemský
Radim Vrbata - Tomáš Plekanec - Martin Havlát
Patrik Eliáš - Roman Červenka - Jakub Voráček
Martin Erat - Martin Hanzal - Vladimír Sobotka

X - Tomáš Fleischmann

Zbyněk Michálek - Marek Židlický
Roman Polák - Rostislav Klesla
Ladislav Šmíd - Jakub Nakládal/Filip Kuba

X - Petr Čáslava, Jan Hejda

Ondřej Pavelec
Tomáš Vokoun

X - Jakub Kovář/Alexander Salák

Pyth

Jun 24, 2012
M. Michalek - Plekanec "C" - Voracek (if Jagr will not play)
Elias "A" - Krejci - Hemsky
Erat - Hanzal - Havlat
xxx - Sobotka - Vrbata
Fleischman, Frolik, Cervenka, Tlusty, Prucha, Rolinek, Novotny

Smid - Zidlicky
Kaberle "A" - Polak
xxx - Z. Michalek
Hejda/ Klesla / Rozsival / Caslava / Kuba

Pavelec
xxx
Neuvirth/ Vokoun/ Kovar/ Salak

coursy17

Jan 2, 2012
elias krejci vrbata
michalek plekanec erat
hemsky cervanka jagr
fleischmann hanzel voracek
havlat

michalek zidlicky
polak kuba
smid hejda
rosival

pavelec
neuvirth
vokoun

hitmen19

Jan 21, 2013
elias krejci vrbata
michalek plekanec erat
hemsky cervanka jagr
fleischmann hanzel voracek
havlat

michalek zidlicky
polak kuba
smid hejda
rosival

pavelec
neuvirth
vokoun

elias krejci vrbata is the czech top line. ouch, that line wouldn't be canada or russias 6th line. the talent has really dropped off in the czech republic last decade

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
elias krejci vrbata is the czech top line. ouch, that line wouldn't be canada or russias 6th line. the talent has really dropped off in the czech republic last decade

Elias finished 10th in points last year and is also in the top 10 for career points among active players. In '12 Vrbata finished in the top 50 in points and only 5 Canadian players and 2 Russian players scored more goals. Krejc also finished in the top 50 and led the '11 playoffs in points. I would say that their credentials are more impressive than anything that would be on Canada's and certainly Russia's 6th line.

Looking at the lineups posted in this thread on paper they are IMHO still very much a contender.

hitmen19

Jan 21, 2013
Elias finished 10th in points last year and is also in the top 10 for career points among active players. In '12 Vrbata finished in the top 50 in points and only 5 Canadian players and 2 Russian players scored more goals. Krejc also finished in the top 50 and led the '11 playoffs in points. I would say that their credentials are more impressive than anything that would be on Canada's and certainly Russia's 6th line.

Looking at the lineups posted in this thread on paper they are IMHO still very much a contender.

i love when people use selective stats to argue there position. Stats for one year don't mean squat. After Stamkos, Canada's next 5 goal scorers were neal, hartnell, perry moulson, ryder. besides perry, none of those other guys would even be considered for Canada's team. So you can throw that stat out. Its an eye test. While I love Elias, his great days are long over. He is not the impact player of his youth no more, no matter how many points he got. If you think that line is even close, to other teams, you are dreaming. Czech can't compete with that line up against russia, sweden canada or usa.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
i love when people use selective stats to argue there position. Stats for one year don't mean squat.

I used stats from the most recent completed season. If recent performance/production isn't relevant to the conversation I really don't know what to say. With that said, if Vrbata, for example, tails off over the next 12 months I don't think too many people will be suggesting that he could/should be playing on the top line.

After Stamkos, Canada's next 5 goal scorers were neal, hartnell, perry moulson, ryder. besides perry, none of those other guys would even be considered for Canada's team.

Pretty sure Neal will be considered. To be honest if those guys are just as productive this season I wouldn't be shocked if the majority are at the orientation (or whatever they call it) camp this summer (assuming they have one). Who would the 18 Canadian and 18 Russian forwards you would put on a team before Elias, Vrbata and Krejci?

So you can throw that stat out. Its an eye test.

So I should disregard stats completely and instead just go by your 'eye test'. Before I do this would you be able to post your credentials or experience that has left you with such an authorative eye for such matters?

While I love Elias, his great days are long over. He is not the impact player of his youth no more, no matter how many points he got.

His best days may be behind him but he was still the second highest scorer on his team and second highest scoring left winger in the league last year. He also played just under 20 minutes a game on a very good team. To be honest I am not sure what you mean by an impact player. What/who do you consider an impact player? Much like 'eye test' this seems sort of like another vague term.

If you think that line is even close, to other teams, you are dreaming. Czech can't compete with that line up against russia, sweden canada or usa.

On paper the above 4 teams will probably look better but I am not sure how that disqualifies the Czechs from being contenders. To be honest after what we have seen in four 'best vs best' Olympics I am not sure how anyone can still write off any of the big '6 or 7' nations heading into the tournament based on the lineup. In '98 almost half the Czech roster wasn't even playing in the NHL at the time and were pretty much an afterthought heading in... they won gold. Finland never looks that great on paper and more often than not they have left with a medal.

Anyway... perhaps we will just have to agree to disagree.:)

Last edited:

coursy17

Jan 2, 2012
i love when people use selective stats to argue there position. Stats for one year don't mean squat. After Stamkos, Canada's next 5 goal scorers were neal, hartnell, perry moulson, ryder. besides perry, none of those other guys would even be considered for Canada's team. So you can throw that stat out. Its an eye test. While I love Elias, his great days are long over. He is not the impact player of his youth no more, no matter how many points he got. If you think that line is even close, to other teams, you are dreaming. Czech can't compete with that line up against russia, sweden canada or usa.

I'm Canadian so obvious I want to agree with you. However there is still a lot of talent on that team. Kreijci was one of bostons best players when they won the cup. Elias was a big part of the devils making the stanley cup finals and vrbata is phoenix's best forward so I don't think they suck. Also keep in mind its on european ice. Canada has never medal'd on european ice since NHL players have been allowed to go while the czechs have won gold and bronze. I know that argument doesnt seem like much but I don't think its a coincidence in 98 in naugano it was all european teams winning medals. in 02 in salt lake it was can vs usa in 06 in torino all european teams medal'd and in 2010 in vancouver it was can vs usa. So I think its arrogant and wrong to assume they will suck

decma

Feb 6, 2013
Czech can't compete with that line up against russia, sweden canada or usa.

I think the Czech forwards are comparable to Sweden's.

Using numbers from 11/12 and so far in 12/13, there are six Czech fwds scoring 60 pts per 80 games:
Elias 79
Krejci 65
Vrbata 65
Erat 63
Fleischman 60
Michalek 60

Sweden also has six fwds who meet this threshold:
Backstrom 80
H Sedin 76
Zetterberg 74
D Sedin 73
Eriksson 66
Alfredsson 61

Better top end numbers for the Swedish guys, but not bad for the Czechs. And the Czech list doesn't include pretty good forwards like Hemsky, Plekanec, Voracek and Havlat.

In terms of goals it is similar - each country has five guys with 25 goals per 80 games over the last season plus.

Vrbata 34
Michalek 33
Fleischmann 26
Elias 25
Hudler 25

D. Sedin 31
Franzen 29
Hornqvist 28
Alfredsson 28
Erikssson 25

No doubt that Swe has an advantage in terms of D and G, but the Cze forwards aren't bad.

If you limit the numbers to so far this season, it looks even better for the Czechs, with six fwds who have 10 pts and another five with 8 or 9.

Elias 15
Krejci 11
Plekanec 11
Vrbata 11
Fleischmann 10
Voracek 10
Jagr 9
Tlusty 9
Hemsky 8
Hudler 8
Michalek 8

Sweden has four guys 10 pts and two with 8 or 9.
Zetterberg 18
Steen 11
Backstrom 10
D. Sedin 10
Franzen 9
H. Sedin 8

DrunkElkCZ

Apr 16, 2012
Brno, Czech Rep.
My lineup (made mostly out of players from NHL):

M. Michalek - Krejci - Elias
Hemsky - Plekanec - Jagr
Voracek - Hanzal - Vrbata
Sobotka - Cervenka - Erat

Zidlicky - Z. Michalek
Smid - Kuba
Polak - Kindl (Hejda)

- possibility to replace someone with Tlusty, Fleischmann, Havlat... mayyyybe Hudler who's now great but his relationship with A. Hadamczik isn't great at all if I am not mistaken.

Pavelec, Neuvirth, Salak

But honestly it will depend on many many things. Since the tournament will be on international sized rink, there will be probably more players from Europe, we can't know who will be injured etc. etc. etc...

boris4c

Quid infantes sumus.
Dec 13, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
What are the chances of seeing Petr Mrazek on the roster as the third goalie? He's had a solid start in the NHL so far, although it's only been 2 games. However his stats in the OHL as well as in the AHL have been good, and he just turned 21 years old. It seems like he's the goalkeeper of the future for the Czech Republic, and having him there as a replacement could be beneficial for his experience.

I'm not confident with either Pavelec or Vokoun in Sochi 2014. I was hoping Neuvirth would have a solid season and be ready to be the starter but it doesn't look like it for now.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
What are the chances of seeing Petr Mrazek on the roster as the third goalie? He's had a solid start in the NHL so far, although it's only been 2 games. However his stats in the OHL as well as in the AHL have been good, and he just turned 21 years old. It seems like he's the goalkeeper of the future for the Czech Republic, and having him there as a replacement could be beneficial for his experience.

I'm not confident with either Pavelec or Vokoun in Sochi 2014. I was hoping Neuvirth would have a solid season and be ready to be the starter but it doesn't look like it for now.

Mrazek really is considered as a big talent here in Czech Republic. He's got pretty big hype that not every young player here gets. I think there's is a little chance that he'll be there. I personally don't think so. Assuming he isn't participating in this years world championship, he won't have any national team experince (except that ten minutes he got last year against Germany which I don't really count) that our coaches will require, I think. He would have to have really strong season in NHL to be picked over guys like Pavelec, Neuvirth, Kovář or Salák.
Right now it looks like Pavelec should be clear number 1. Not sure about Vokoun and his chances.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

Our sixth line could consist of Couture, Spezza, Thornton, Sharp, RNH, MSL, Iginla, Lupul, Neal, etc. just to name a few..... pretty sure any of them would be your #1 player. No offense, but on paper, you can't compare. On ice, anything can happen in one game.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Our sixth line could consist of Couture, Spezza, Thornton, Sharp, RNH, MSL, Iginla, Lupul, Neal, etc. just to name a few..... pretty sure any of them would be your #1 player. No offense, but on paper, you can't compare. On ice, anything can happen in one game.

In terms of depth, sure we can't compete with team like Canada but it's not like our forwards are that worse. It's just two weeks tournament and if our players have good chemistry they can outplay even Canada star players IMO.
Big issue will be our defese though. That's why I don't really believe in some big success.
Btw. I would really like to hear that Russian 6th line which is supposed to be better than Elias-Krejci-Vrbata.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
In terms of depth, sure we can't compete with team like Canada but it's not like our forwards are that worse. It's just two weeks tournament and if our players have good chemistry they can outplay even Canada star players IMO.
Big issue will be our defese though. That's why I don't really believe in some big success.
Btw. I would really like to hear that Russian 6th line which is supposed to be better than Elias-Krejci-Vrbata.

Yep I totally agree, which is why I said it could easily go your way. I'd go 70-30 chance that Canada would win, but I may be a little biased. ;)

For sure though, chemistry is how you can beat us, if you do. We've got the superstars and stars, but anything can happen.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
Our sixth line could consist of Couture, Spezza, Thornton, Sharp, RNH, MSL, Iginla, Lupul, Neal, etc. just to name a few..... pretty sure any of them would be your #1 player.

Who are the 15 players/5 lines that come before those players? I'm not being confrontational when I ask that (I know it's often hard to tell on a message board) I'm just curious. To be honest I wouldn't be shocked if 4 or 5 of those guys are on the final roster to begin with. Then again that is probably a discussion better left to the 'Canadian Olympic Roster' thread so nevermind. :D

Also... I get that RNH was a first overall pick and could go on to do great things but we are talking about a player who currently has 1 goal and 7 points, good enough for 8th in scoring on a team that is most likely going back into the draft lottery. To suggest that as of today he would be the Czech's best player is pretty laughable.

Finally... "Your #1 player"?... I am in no way associated with Czech Hockey. I'm not even Czech. I assume we are from/live in the same country. :)

No offense, but on paper, you can't compare

No offense taken. :)

Don't get me wrong... If I have a choice between a team loaded from top to bottom with first line NHL talent and a team that isn't I am taking my chances with the former but it has hardly proven to be a guarantee or even a prerequisite to having success.

So ya... maybe on paper 'you can't compare' but given the on ice results we have seen up to this point it probably really isn't worth spending a ton of time comparing paper.

On ice, anything can happen in one game.

Agreed.

People act like when a team as talented as Canada loses a game it is some kind of fluke. In the past 4 Olympics Canada has lost 7 games. Not only is it not a fluke it really isn't all that uncommon.

Last edited:

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Tlusty- Plekanec- Jagr
Fleischmann- Krejci- Voracek
Michalek- Hanzal- Erat
Elias- Sobotka- Frolik

Smid- Michalek
Hejda- Kaberle
Klesla- Polak

Pavelec