Olympics: 2014 — U.S. Roster Discussion (Part VIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'd imagine Orpick/Martin have the shortest leashes on this team.

Would really like to see Brown off the roster

gtpeli2

Feb 5, 2014
Pittsburgh media guy tweets that Oprik/Martin have said they will be paired together tomorrow. I do not like this.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'd imagine Orpick/Martin have the shortest leashes on this team.

Would really like to see Brown off the roster

Brown had a good game against Slovakia and will used against Russia in a capacity that highlights his strengths. What's with the blind hatred?

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Good thought-this is what Bylsma wants to do. Match Martin/Orpik against Ovechkin's line. He wants to try to leveage all of that Pitt vs. Washington knowledge and experience.

Pretty sure Suter/McDonagh will be the ones going against Ovechkin.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Disappointed as a Blues fan that Backes is now just a shutdown line with Brown and Callahan but as a USA fan, holy hell that will be entertaining. I think it's probably the best fit for Brown and Callahan too.

Was hoping to see more of Blake Wheeler and less of one of Brown/Callahan.

bproeder

The rich man's Bozak
Jul 30, 2005
San Jose, CA
Ovechkin last 11 games against the Rangers (2 G 1A). McDonagh is usually the guy going up against him in these games.

I LIKE IT! Nice stat. Hope it continues when he is paired with Suter. Question for you.....what forward line would you match against him? A scoring line that keeps him busy in his own end, or the checking line?

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'm more worried about the D switch than I am the line changes, which I actually like, though I'd prefer to see Wheeler in for one of Brown/Callahan on a more regular basis.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Kesler and Pavelski are better offensively than Backes so what's the problem?

I think no one would have a problem with this statement. It's that we are putting three of the least offensive guys together on one line that may be problematic. Basically three boat anchors when it comes to putting up points. However they will be fantastic defensively and will probably out hustle most any line out there.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
They have 12 NHLers on the roster including the goalies. And a few of the NHLers are fringe ones at this point in their careers.

This team has taken a hit with veteran stalwarts retiring and the tragedy involving Pavol Demitra. Add to that 2 key cogs in Gaborik and Visnovsky out with injuries and they just don't have enough depth to compete with the top guys. They haven't been producing enough quality players either to bridge the gap with the natural decline of their star players either. It's unfortunate, but hopefully they can start developing better at the junior levels. It's going to be rough when Hossa and Chara retire. Tatar and Jurco are nice players, but they aren't going to be able to fill the void alone. If they haven't already done so, Switzerland will being taking their spot in the "Big 7" soon.

agree with this, but I put their defense right on par with Russia's overall. Slovakia has 4 NHL defenders, and arguably one of the best in the game...Russia does not have a Chara or the depth overall as well and we torched Slovakia for 7 in 2 periods.

Not saying the same result will happen against Russia, but Slovakia is a talented team despite missing Gaborik, Demitra, and Vis. Wish Satan would have been picked but whatever. The US just can roll 4 lines of doom against you, it will wear down any teams top pair and the only country deep enough at the blue line to withstand it is Canada. Sweden has a WAYYYYY Overrated blue line as well.

On a side note, man is that Tatar a great looking player. By the end I was really cheering for him to get one, he was flying out there. Hossa just looked out of place as he needs to be with a star player to be dominating, and with no Gaborik, Hossa likely makes a small impact in Sochi.

gtpeli2

Feb 5, 2014
Hopefully Backes gets some time with the playmakers as well. He's too good a player to be relegated to a checking line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad